LockedTaylor Pork Roll

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Author
myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2008/02/01 09:46:34 (permalink)
greymo..are you a relative of hoffman, if not...you should be.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18259
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2008/02/01 11:32:30 (permalink)
Nothing at all erroneous. Those stones were in the X-ring.
alesrus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2008/02/01 11:39:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by matilda

Originally posted by David_NYC

I usually buy my Taylor Ham in those 6 ounce presliced packages, and buy them when they are half price loss leaders at ShopRite, Acme and Pathmark supermarkets. I pay from $1.25 to $1.50 a package. From time to time, I do get a package that suffered temperature abuse. It is easy to spot; it smells like bolonga that has gone bad.

My taste buds show no similarity whatsoever with bologna from quality producers such as Karl Ehmer, Boar's Head, Thumann's and Dietz and Watson and with Taylor Ham that is fresh and has been kept refrigerated.

snip So, do you own a restaurant and feed the "off" products to your customers? Or, if not, since you know better, why would you buy "off" products and eat them yourself? Just curious.snip
quote]

Maybe they miss labeled there product and served you fried bologna. They may not know that there is a difference between bologna and Taylor Ham (pork roll)
I am just saying " />

matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2008/02/01 11:46:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by alesrus

quote:

I usually buy my Taylor Ham in those 6 ounce presliced packages, and buy them when they are half price loss leaders at ShopRite, Acme and Pathmark supermarkets. I pay from $1.25 to $1.50 a package. From time to time, I do get a package that suffered temperature abuse. It is easy to spot; it smells like bolonga that has gone bad.

My taste buds show no similarity whatsoever with bologna from quality producers such as Karl Ehmer, Boar's Head, Thumann's and Dietz and Watson and with Taylor Ham that is fresh and has been kept refrigerated.

snip So, do you own a restaurant and feed the "off" products to your customers? Or, if not, since you know better, why would you buy "off" products and eat them yourself? Just curious.snip
quote]

Maybe they miss labeled there product and served you fried bologna. They may not know that there is a difference between bologna and Taylor Ham (pork roll)
I am just saying " />

Excellent point, and one of which I considered. However, (there goes that word again), when they were making my sandwich, I made a particular point of observing every step of the process. This is an open restaurant where you have that ability as a customer. All was on the level, even down to the label on the meat, bread and cheese. There was no way they couldh've passed off ill-used goods. And for that, I thank them.
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2008/02/01 15:54:08 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

So, do you own a restaurant and feed the "off" products to your customers? Or, if not, since you know better, why would you buy "off" products and eat them yourself? Just curious.

After eating Taylor Pork Roll for 50 years (but I still call it Taylor Ham) I am so familiar with the product that I neglected to add a few details to my post that I should have. For reasons I stated earlier, I now buy the pork roll in the 6 ounce pre-sliced packages. Preferably when they are being sold for half price. The pork roll is packaged in some incredibly tough plastic film. You can't smell the product at the store, the plastic is that good. I do open the box and look at the product. I do that after having bought slimy, green, or grey pork roll. However, less severe forms of abuse only show up when you cut open the plastic film. I smell the pork roll before I fry it. It should have a clean smell. To my nose, spoiled pork roll smells like spoiled balogna. I don't eat it.

I made that observation after several people mentioned balogna. A first time customer may have got "past its prime" pork roll, and so compared it to balogna.

The reason I stopped buying sliced-to-order pork roll from supermarket service delis and from New York sandwich shops is because some places do not sell enough of it and/or do not properly wrap it in plastic film. To me, it then tastes like spoiled balogna. Or spoiled something. If you look at the photo of the box on page 4 of this thread, the ingredients of Taylor pork roll are listed. As you can see, it is a simple formulation and does not have some of the preservatives used by other manufacturers of meat products to make their product last practically forever. Taylor pork roll must be refrigerated, as compared to a lot of that sliced pizza pepperoni that is now shelf stable.

I would be interested in knowing the brand(s) of balogna that Matilda is familiar with. Who knows, I might like them!
brookquarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 279
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2008/02/01 16:03:14 (permalink)
well.before this topic gets locked, let me weigh in.
1. I dislike pork roll
2. I dislike spam
3. I dislike (regular ) bologna

to me they all taste similarly- although distinct.-
and even though I'm Pennsylvania dutch I REALLY dislike scrapple- which tastes (and smells) distinctly worse than any of the above.

On the other hand I love Lebanon bologna- but of course thats a beef product
Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1