Teas

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
2004/02/12 18:30:56 (permalink)

Teas

As spring approaches, my taste for beverages change. The Sundancer is a simple man and my tea taste is admittedly not very complex as I usually do a strong Liptons.

I was at Walmart and I notice that they offer so many different types that it becomes confusing to me.

I am not sure what the defination of tea is. I thought it was a specific tea leaf but it seems that some teas are not teas at all but a specific leaf that just lends flavor. I thought tea leaves had caffeine?

I would appreciate your thoughts on good teas and what makes a tea a tea?

Thanks
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

13 Replies Related Threads

vinelady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Teas 2004/02/12 18:46:24 (permalink)
    There are teas and tisanes. Most people just lump them together. Tea is the leaf of the tea plant.

http://www.nobleplants.com/articles/ajccamellia.htm

There are many different ways to perpare tea, from the picking on down to how to make it and what you add to it. Basically you could easily drink a different tpye of tea every day for a year. As far as good teas. It depends on your taste. I would highly recommend looking at Stash teas website and giving a few of their teas a try to see at least the general groups that you might like.

Grampy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Teas 2004/02/12 19:04:26 (permalink)
    This is my favorite tea site, but I prefer green teas, which are unfermented teas. The dark is fermented: http://www.adagio.com/home.html?SID=ffed56bc54f42dafa007474ea13a0a6d
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Teas 2004/02/12 19:31:28 (permalink)
    Paul, I started drinking cups of hot, green tea a few years ago and really welcome the change of pace from my usual coffee. Of course, I sweeten the hot tea with a little sugar.

Some brands of green tea are very poor, offering little flavor. Following the advice of a coop friend, I tried Alvita brand Chinese Green Tea (Plain) tea bags. Thirty bags in a box. Claire, said this brand delivers "...more bang for the buck". She was right and I use it now.

The Lipton brand green tea bags actually had better flavor than the other, more pricey brands I tried.

Not long ago Consumer Reports compared and reviewed brands of green tea. I have that issue here, but forget which brands were deemed best. I think the Lipton green tea bags were judged middle-of-the-pack. I'll check on this for you later.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Teas 2004/02/12 19:39:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JimInKy

Paul, I started drinking cups of hot, green tea a few years ago and really welcome the change of pace from my usual coffee. Of course, I sweeten the hot tea with a little sugar.

Some brands of green tea are very poor, offering little flavor. Following the advice of a coop friend, I tried Alvita brand Chinese Green Tea (Plain) tea bags. Thirty bags in a box. Claire, said this brand delivers "...more bang for the buck". She was right and I use it now.

The Lipton brand green tea bags actually had better flavor than the other, more pricey brands I tried.

Not long ago Consumer Reports compared and reviewed brands of green tea. I have that issue here, but forget which brands were deemed best. I think the Lipton green tea bags were judged middle-of-the-pack. I'll check on this for you later.

Jim, Thanks for the input. On my 5:00AM Saturday morning run to Walmart, I will purchase Liptons green tea. Perhaps that can be considered spring tonic. I am sure you got your advice from your favorite restaurant in Lexington. I cannot wait to taste and enjoy. I have never done a green tea before.

Thanks
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Teas 2004/02/12 19:43:27 (permalink)
    I love flavored teas. I know a real tea person would probably consider it blasphemy, but I like what I like, what can I say.

A few years ago, on a trip to Disneyland, I took my then 4-year old daughter to the "Mary Poppins Practically Perfect Tea" party at one of the hotels. THey had a several teas to pick from, and the one I chose was black currant - best tea I've ever had. When I went back 3 years later, I brought the same daughter plus a younger one, and got the same tea - still loved it. I asked if they sold it, and was told they do but they were out of it at the time. I'd love to know where it comes from - as I've tried to find it elsewhere with no luck. However, there is a company I order from online that has a HUGE selection of flavored teas, and my husband and I love to relax after I get home from work (at midnight) with a cup of flavored tea. Our favorites are banana, blueberry and one called "Monk's Blend" which is a mixture of grenadine and vanilla. They also blend flavors, which makes some interesting combinations - chocolate-covered strawberry, chocolate mint, and others.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Teas 2004/02/12 19:45:58 (permalink)
    Are the flavored teas really teas?

Thanks
    Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Teas 2004/02/12 20:19:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Are the flavored teas really teas?

Thanks
    Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that no, they're not, but as far as I'm concerned, they look like tea, smell like tea, you brew them like tea, and they taste like tea, and that's good enough for me.

I think it also depends on which kind you get. I believe there are even flavored green teas, if that means anything. The website I use also sells one called "Rooibos" that comes in different flavors and is really good.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Teas 2004/02/12 20:21:32 (permalink)
    I appreciate the post but what is the defination of "tea" Does anthing qualify as tea?

Thanks
    Paul e. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Sushi_Girl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Teas 2004/02/13 08:48:27 (permalink)
    jvsmomI order my teas from Blue Moon Teas online and they have a black currant tea thats to die for.its in the flavored teas section. Im a tea nut, and a coffee nut. in the middle of the day though coffee seems to harsh so i just sip on some tea.http://www.bluemoontea.com/catalog.htm
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7022
    RE: Teas 2004/02/13 11:28:56 (permalink)
    At the Riboud household (where I was chef) the houseboys made tea every morning, never coffee. We either had Chinese Oolong tea or green tea, always loose and steamed in the pot. It was excellent.
    harriet1954
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1165
    RE: Teas 2004/02/15 17:27:57 (permalink)
    Sushi Girl, check this one out, it's from my neck of the woods - http://www.houseoftea.com They even have a little iPix tour of the inside of the store and some real nice tributes to the founder. It's just a nice site. Their list of teas is totally impressive. I haven't been to the actual store, but I just might! You know, after looking at the site further it appears you can't order from them. But worth looking at (and for if in the area). Philadelphia is my hometown and full of wonderful things.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: Teas 2004/02/15 20:03:27 (permalink)
    Friends --

I, too, have recently begun drinking more tea - actually went out and bought a tea infuser (even though it seems kinda girly just saying it! ). There is a shop in downtown Melbourne (not too far a drive for you, Sushi Girl!) which may well be owned by the most knowlegeable "tea" person I have ever met (and yes, it seems that "tea" people are a breed of their own). Their web site could use a little more in the way of education, but it is not bad for a primer. You can check out the Melwood Creek Tea Company at www.mcteas.com

By the way, I also like flavored teas, and was told I was no blaspheme. Specifically, I like teas that would do well to be sweetened, or are naturally sweet. Some of the best, can even be poured over ice. For my first trip, I purchased a vanilla cream, a mango, and a "citrus sunshine" (which has a healthy orange flavor). I was also offered a sample of "Candy and Roses", which is one of their seasonal (Valentine's Day?) blends. It has a strong chocolate flavor, but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet.

Steve
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Teas 2004/02/25 21:39:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sushi_Girl

jvsmomI order my teas from Blue Moon Teas online and they have a black currant tea thats to die for.its in the flavored teas section. Im a tea nut, and a coffee nut. in the middle of the day though coffee seems to harsh so i just sip on some tea.http://www.bluemoontea.com/catalog.htm

SushiGirl:

Thanks for the recommendation - sorry it took me so long to see it - I was off work for a few days and don't have a computer at home - but anyway, I just checked out the site and want to get some of that black currant tea - do you get the loose tea or the tea bags? I ask because they do look like two different teas, like there's more of a difference than just the bags (or lack of them).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1