Ted's Hot Dog Sauce Clone

Author
BR
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
Flagged as Spam (1)
2009/05/30 18:13:28 (permalink)

Ted's Hot Dog Sauce Clone

I found these two recipes that are supposed to be like Ted's Sauce but they are not similar at all. I've never had Ted's sauce so I don't know if either hits the mark. Anyone who has had Ted's sauce could you please give your thoughts on the recipes below.

Ted’s Hot Dog Sauce
In a one-quart, screw top, glass jar… put:
15 ounces of plain, canned, tomato sauce
6 ounces of red pepper sauce *
1 ounce of green pepper sauce **
2 tablespoons of reconstituted lemon juice
4 teaspoons of liquid margarine
½ teaspoon minimum, 1 teaspoon maximum, of Fresh Grounded Pepper
2 packets of sugar substitute (Sweet n’ Low, Equal etc.)
OPTIONAL: about 2 teaspoons of “liquid smoke”***. Optional, but the more I use it in this recipe, the more I like the added flavor. Try it both ways!
Stir well, cover, shake, refrigerate at least 4 hours before first use. Stir or shake before each use, refrigerate after each use.
* I use Frank’s Red Hot Original Cayenne
Pepper Sauce, but any brand with Cayenne red pepper listed as the first ingredient, will work just fine.
** I Use Emerils Green Pepper Sauce, but any brand with Jalapeno pepper listed as the first ingredient, will work just fine.
***I use Colgin Natural Hickory Liquid Smoke, but any brand will work just fine.

TED’S HOT DOG SAUCE
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small onion, dliced
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 cups water
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon chile powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup vinegar
1 10-oz jar sweet pickle relish
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté diced onion and bell pepper in the oil for 5 minutes, until onions are soft but not brown. Add water, tomato paste, corn syrup, cornstarch, salt, and red pepper flakes, and stir. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add vinegar. Continue to simmer for an additiona1 30 minutes or until most of the liquid has reduced and the sauce is thick. Add relish and stir to heat through, then turn OFF burner.

7 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Ted's Hot Dog Sauce Clone 2009/05/30 20:16:23 (permalink)
    I thought Ted's was the place we had the remarkable and memorable  steamed cheeseburger. Didn't know they served
    hotdogs... Meridan , CT, , I think...

OMG: BR is from Broken Arrow , OK.. He must be talking about another Ted's. And, I've got to say I envy any one who lives in a place with a great name like Broken Arrow. 

Cheers, John  

post edited by seafarer john - 2009/05/30 20:20:13
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:Ted's Hot Dog Sauce Clone 2009/05/30 20:24:26 (permalink)
    BR,

I am guessing that you are talking about Ted' Hot Dogs in Buffalo. Unfortunately, I have never had their hot sauce because I stick with the chili on my hot dogs.  The recipe sounds pretty good.

Seafarer John,

I have also had the steamed burgers from the Ted's in Meriden, CT and have found them to be very good as well.  Whichever Ted's I have the chance to go to always provides good food, whether a hot dog in Buffalo or a steamed burger in Connecticut.
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Ted's Hot Dog Sauce Clone 2009/05/30 20:50:17 (permalink)
    Yes... I'm talking about the one in Buffalo.
    ejebud
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:Ted's Hot Dog Sauce Clone 2009/06/02 21:05:05 (permalink)
    I have had Ted's hot dog sauce and I gotta tell ya that the first recipe doesn't even sound close. The second recipe however sounds like it could be similar to the real thing.  I distinctly remember saying to myself that there was relish in the sauce and that it seemed like it was made of a combination of condiments ie mustard, ketchup, relish, onions etc..but spicy.  It was really good.
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    Re:Ted's Hot Dog Sauce Clone 2009/06/03 07:27:37 (permalink)
    I agree with ejebud. The second recipe seems much more like the Ted's sauce I have in my fridge.
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:Ted's Hot Dog Sauce Clone 2009/06/03 10:04:06 (permalink)
    I ate at Ted's  a lot growing up in WNY, and never once tried the sauce - just kraut & mustard on my dogs, so I have no idea.
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Ted's Hot Dog Sauce Clone 2009/06/03 11:34:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for your input Doug & Bud!  The second one looks like someone put forth some effort to create the sauce. I'll scale it down a little and give that one a try. Thanks again!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1