Ted's Montana Grill

Author
frogger67
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
2006/10/23 17:24:41 (permalink)

Ted's Montana Grill

I now have a favorite new watering hole--Ted's Montana Grill has 2 locations in my city (Arlington, VA).

For those who haven't been yet, it's great. Terrific food (yes, they have beef there as well as the famous bison). Tasteful decor. Non smoking bars. The TV at the bar at my city's location is on with sporting events, but the volume is turned down. Jazzy music on the PA.
This is NOT a place for loud, in-your-face sports fanatics and I thank Ted Turner for putting two in my town.

14 Replies Related Threads

Scott C
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Ted's Montana Grill 2006/10/24 13:00:53 (permalink)
    I hit the one in Nashville every once in a while. I totally agree with you comments. I wish that there was one closer though.

Thanks
    Scott C
    Evansville IN
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Ted's Montana Grill 2006/10/24 13:35:52 (permalink)
    I'm working in Crystal City (around the corner from Ted's on 23rd St) right now while our Cap Hill offices are under renovation, so thanks for the nugget. Some co-workers have enjoyed the place, but I've been leary as it is a chain I'm unfamiliar with. With your rec. along with my co-workers who would agree with you, I may give it a try.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4606
    RE: Ted's Montana Grill 2006/10/24 14:50:35 (permalink)
    I recall having a decent drink, decent service and decent food at the one near the Denver airport. It is a FAR better choice than any of the standard-issue chains along hotel row.

I'd go back too.

frogger67
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Ted's Montana Grill 2006/10/24 15:12:10 (permalink)
    Scorereader;
    The Crystal City location is one of the two I visit. I was just there last Sunday. Very good "blue plate specials" there and Sunday has "old fashioned turkey and garlic potatoes." As an Atlanta-born chain, they serve Coca-Cola in the classic glass bottles (nice touch).
    The price is right, too. I had four beers and the turkey dinner for under $30.
    I hope I didn't offend sports bar lovers with my post. I don't mind a rowdy sports bar every now and then (if I need that fix, I'll go to Bailey's in Crystal City)....but for mellow moods, Ted's can't be topped.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4524
    RE: Ted's Montana Grill 2011/03/14 20:05:58 (permalink)
    I have had bison burgers before and thought they were good, but I always wanted a good quality bison steak.  So I stopped into Ted's Montana Grill in Westboro, MA today.  I know, it's a chain, but where else do you find a good bison steak?

I went with the  Delmonico Ribeye 14 ounce Bison $26

Holy Cow!  What an excellent steak.  They were a little heavy handed on the salt, but this was an excellent steak.  Cooked to perfection.

The flavor was outstanding, I would chose a bison steak over beef, based on this meal. My sides were,  “AUNT FANNIE’S” squash casserole and  parmesan creamed spinach.  Both were excellent.

As much as I don't like chains(although they are supposed to buy locally), and I am not a big Ted Turner fan, I highly recommend this place.

Anyone else try the bison?
    Large Man
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Ted's Montana Grill 2011/03/14 22:57:30 (permalink)
    I've eaten at the ones in Buford, Ga., Orange Park, Fl and Town Center in Jacksonville. Their food is good!   I've never made it to their steaks as the hamburgers are great, both beef and the bison.  Their onion rings are much better than the fires.  Their clam chowder on Friday and their fish sandwich is good but  I don't like the tartar sauce.  The bison meatloaf is also nice.    On the downside, while the service is attentive, the food always seems to take much longer to come out than Longhorn or Outback.  This is so at everyone I've been to.  They do keep the sweet tea filled up.    Maybe it's the prep but you can see the cooks and it seems that that they have a lot less help in the kitchen than we used to at Red Lobster or even Krystal back in the day.  I guess it makes it slower for the food to come out.
    IntelligentT82
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Ted's Montana Grill 2011/03/15 15:53:30 (permalink)
    frogger67

Scorereader;
    The Crystal City location is one of the two I visit. I was just there last Sunday. Very good "blue plate specials" there and Sunday has "old fashioned turkey and garlic potatoes." As an Atlanta-born chain, they serve Coca-Cola in the classic glass bottles (nice touch).
    The price is right, too. I had four beers and the turkey dinner for under $30.
    I hope I didn't offend sports bar lovers with my post. I don't mind a rowdy sports bar every now and then (if I need that fix, I'll go to Bailey's in Crystal City)....but for mellow moods, Ted's can't be topped.

I also work in Crystal City, VA and that location of Ted's is the only one I've been to.  It is truly great.  Everything I've ever tried there was good.  My favorite is their burgers.  Haven't tried the Bison burgers yet...just good ole regular Angus beef for me, please.  My mom and her friends love the Nachos with the Bison Beef on them...hmm...maybe one day I'll try it.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18386
    RE: Ted's Montana Grill 2011/03/15 16:37:41 (permalink)
    I've been to the one in Columbus twice. I went the second time because the first time they cooked the bison burger too long. I wanted to try again to see if they'd made a slight mistake, because bison is very lean and it's easy to overcook. They did it again. I haven't been back.
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    RE: Ted's Montana Grill 2011/03/16 21:41:53 (permalink)
    joerogo, not a pleasent looking steak on the outside because it was cooked on a flat top,but,.....nice & rare on the inside!
    atta boy joe.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4618
    RE: Ted's Montana Grill 2011/03/17 00:29:59 (permalink)
    looks about perfect to me
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Ted's Montana Grill 2011/03/17 07:34:13 (permalink)
    sk bob
    joerogo, not a pleasent looking steak on the outside because it was cooked on a flat top,but,.....nice & rare on the inside!
    atta boy joe.

Hey Bob, 

Thanks for the "Atta Boy"!!!

Joe
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    RE: Ted's Montana Grill 2011/03/21 20:47:32 (permalink)
    for you joe, no problem pal.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Ted's Montana Grill 2011/03/26 13:46:06 (permalink)
    After having that excellent steak at Ted's, I have been on a quest for Buffalo.  Last week I was working in the Pocono's and drove by The Buffalo Shoppe in Lake Ariel, PA.  Very limited hours.

Everything is raised and butchered on site, then frozen and vacumn sealed.  The buffalo is pricey, but I thought the beef was a great deal considering it's prime.  I bought a good assortment of buffalo and some beef porterhouse.  

I tried the buffalo hot dogs today.(They send the meat to a local processor for their dogs and sausage).  I found them to be very bland and at ten bucks a pound, I will be passing on these in the future.

Can't wait to fire up the Green Egg and sear a couple of buffalo steaks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re:Ted's Montana Grill 2011/03/27 13:17:59 (permalink)
    frogger67 ... I thank Ted Turner for putting two in my town.

That name alone is the reason I am boycotting that restaurant!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1