Ted's - Restaurant of the Day

Author
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 983
2008/02/29 14:16:31 (permalink)

Ted's - Restaurant of the Day

Nice ot see Ted's featured - they are the pinnacle of all that is hot dog.

9 Replies Related Threads

chuck - 48
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Ted's - Restaurant of the Day 2008/02/29 14:23:04 (permalink)
    We have an office on Main St., in Buffalo and Ted's is about 2 miles away. Whenever there is a sales meeting, I cannot leave Buffalo without a stop for a foot long hot dog ("drag it through the garden") (everything on it) along with their fries and onion rings. Syracuse has Heids , but nothing beats Ted's.
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Ted's - Restaurant of the Day 2008/02/29 14:26:02 (permalink)
    When living in Tempe we loved eating at Ted's frequently. Nothing like a good hot dog, dressed well, and eaten in the beautiful Arizona sunshine, even though 120 degrees. There is always A/C in which to cool off, but one of the beauties of Arizona, is that you can waken each morning nearly guaranteed that the sun will be shining!

Loved those nine years we had there.

And loved eating at Ted's.

Donna
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Ted's - Restaurant of the Day 2008/02/29 17:39:57 (permalink)
    I think those dogs look terrific
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 983
    RE: Ted's - Restaurant of the Day 2008/02/29 17:47:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chuck - 48

We have an office on Main St., in Buffalo and Ted's is about 2 miles away. Whenever there is a sales meeting, I cannot leave Buffalo without a stop for a foot long hot dog ("drag it through the garden") (everything on it) along with their fries and onion rings. Syracuse has Heids , but nothing beats Ted's.

I trust you get a big cup of bug juice (Loganberry) to wash down that hot dog excellence!
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2125
    RE: Ted's - Restaurant of the Day 2008/02/29 17:57:09 (permalink)
    I have literally flown to Buffalo just for a Ted's hot dog. Now I am making myself nervous because I am typing this at an airport...
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Ted's - Restaurant of the Day 2008/03/01 08:09:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

I have literally flown to Buffalo just for a Ted's hot dog. Now I am making myself nervous because I am typing this at an airport...

Don't forget another trip report with pictures
    johnnymolson
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Ted's - Restaurant of the Day 2008/12/24 21:37:10 (permalink)
    I finally got to try Ted's in Tonawonda this past October when my brother and I headed to Buffalo to see our beloved Montreal Canadiens take on the Sabres in their season opener.  I was not disappointed!  They were perfectly crisped on the outside by the hot charcoal...I wish more places would offer their dogs grilled in this manner.  Ted's homemade hot sauce was very good...just the right amounts of tang and heat, and perfect with onions.  Also had one with mustard and relish, my usual favorite condiment combo.  Of course, I had to have one au natural as well, so I could judge the quality of Ted's dog...and it was very good...spiced very nicely.

post edited by johnnymolson - 2008/12/24 21:43:20
    John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2334
    RE: Ted's - Restaurant of the Day 2008/12/25 07:44:46 (permalink)
    I've never been to Ted's, but I have had the dog served there. It is a Sahlen's beef and pork dog. It has a great reputation and I had been dying to sample one for a long time. I didn't want to order a large quantity from the company, so I held off. Finally someone I met on Chowhound invited me to his home to sample some that he picked up from Buffalo.

Afterwards I discovered that Sahlen's are available in the summer at the Wegmans in Bridgewater, N.J. As for the dogs, they certainly live up to their reputation. One of the finest beef and pork dogs I've had. They taste really good cooked on the grill like they do at Ted's. These dogs are pale in color which usually means a mild dog, but not so here.  A tasty dog with a slight peppery flavor. I can see why many people consider this the best hot dog on the market. Like many regional brands, people who grew up eating these franks have them ordered and shipped to where they live.

I'm partial to Thumann's beef/pork dogs and a few that have a similar spicing and flavor profile. But I would put the Sahlen's dog next as a favorite. Depending on your taste, you may prefer Sahlen's to Thumann's. My wife did as well as the guy who invited me over. I love Thumann's, Kocher's, and the dog served at the Galloping Hill Inn. These have long been my favorites of this style; German beef and pork. All three are somewhat similar. Sahlen's is different. If I had to limit myself to only two brands, I would pick one of the three (probably Thumann's) and Sahlen's.

Sahlen's is denser and cooks up better on the grill, while Thumann's is tender and is better on the griddle. I had 2 Sahlen's dogs on my visit. One plain (in order to taste the dog unencumbered) and one with mustard and a condiment called Weber's Hot Texan something or other. It is more of a relish than a hot sauce. It goes great with the Sahlen's frank. This dog is good with just mustard or with mustard and the Weber's sauce, which is popular at Ted's.

My host prepared the dogs like they do at Ted's and they were delicious. Certainly exceeded my expectations. Sahlen's in my opinion is one of the few hot dogs that I would pay the considerable shipping costs to order via mail. Usinger's is another.

I wish there was a Ted's in New Jersey. I'm sure it would be one of my top 5 favorite dogs. Central to northern New York state is a great place for quality hot dogs. German style dogs are preferred in this region. In addition to Sahlen's, there is Wardynski, Hembold's, Hofmann's, Zweigel's, Glazier, Tobins, and some fine homemade franks from butcher shops.
    starfire62
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Ted's - Restaurant of the Day 2008/12/26 22:19:55 (permalink)
    used to have a brand named malecki in buffalo .they went under in 85 i think .they were also a very good hot dog.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1