Ted's Steamed or White Hut?

Author
mrphil
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
2004/05/06 14:00:44 (permalink)

Ted's Steamed or White Hut?

Hey guys
On memorial day weekend, we're heading up to visit my cousin in VT. Until now I never though about roadfood type stops along the way
(well.... not totally true, just we tend to leave after work, and all I want to do is get there) This time, we're going to take some time to stop for a bite. on our route I've narrowed it down to Ted's steamed (CT) and the white hut (MA) I'm hoping to convince my wife to stop at the other one on the way back, but you know how its...

Anyway, if it was you, which would you choose? I know teds is pretty close to 691 and the hut is right off 91, I've tried to get directions to the white hut from 91 (going north) the reviews seem to say it's right off 91 (any suggestions??)

15 Replies Related Threads

varelas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Ted's Steamed or White Hut? 2004/05/06 14:21:14 (permalink)
    I justed called the White Hut, they are closed on Sunday & Monday of Memorial Day week-end. Also there is some construction going on, on 91 near down town Springfield. If you still direction, here they are:
    Going north on 91 take exit 3 look for the sign for West Springfield
    and rt.5, you will be going over the North end bridge, stay in the left hand lane going over the bridge. You will take the next exit after the curve, at the exit go 3/4 round the rotary to rt 147. The White Hut is about 1/4 mile on the right.
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Ted's Steamed or White Hut? 2004/05/06 14:35:32 (permalink)
    Don't forget Curtis'BBQ at exit 5 off I-91
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=202&RefID=202
    All outdoor seating, but worth the visit.
    DaveM
    mrphil
    Hamburger
    RE: Ted's Steamed or White Hut? 2004/05/07 11:36:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for the heads up, we are driving back on Tuesday, but if there is a chance they might be closed I would rather try the white hut, first and teds on the the way back.

I have been to curtis (awhile back) not bad, but there was another bbq place we found that was much better. I try to remember and post the info....
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Ted's Steamed or White Hut? 2004/05/07 13:03:01 (permalink)
    I was a little disappointed by the White Hut cheeseburgers, but I had one the morning after a steamed cheeseburger at the Shady Glen---so maybe that's why?

kirklstruble1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Ted's Steamed or White Hut? 2004/05/15 08:37:00 (permalink)
    Ted's is the way to go, my friend. I would call ahead though. Sometimes their hours are a bit wacky.
    Bulldoggy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Ted's Steamed or White Hut? 2004/05/15 16:06:00 (permalink)
    I was thoroughly unimpressed with Ted's for several reasons. First of all the "cheddar cheese" as they call was very neutral. I think American cheese works better for a neutral cheese because it melts more consistently. Secondly, the proportion of bun to meat is way to large--the bun is very large. Thirdly, the burger lacked flavor, I don't know if it is the steaming process or the large amount of cheddar that inhibits the meat to shine through. Lastly, I am not really a fan of a meatball style burger. When I was there, I made the mistake of ordering and paying for 2 off-the-bat. The burgers were also sitting around for too long, I don't know if it was becuase it was inbetween the lunch rush and dinner or if that is how they operate.
    mrphil
    Hamburger
    RE: Ted's Steamed or White Hut? 2004/05/16 10:03:46 (permalink)
    Uhh Ohh I'm getting mixed reviews on both these places.... Any other suggestions?
    mrphil
    Hamburger
    RE: Ted's Steamed or White Hut? 2004/06/04 09:47:14 (permalink)
    Just a recap, hit Ted's on the way up. Easy ride off the parkway. They were making them fresh (a huge order had just gone out) They were not bad at all (we had a cheeseburger each and shared an order of homefries with more cheese!) While I enjoyed the juicyness of the burger I wish the cheese was a little sharper. All in all a good burger.

White Hutt- Not bad at all (a bit further off the parkway) we didn't have breakfast, so we each got 2 cheeseburgers. First one with everything, I found the relish and mustard dominated to much, so I got one with just cheese and onions. I really liked this burger (the thiness appealed to me, as did the onions) I reminded me of the Sycamore Drive-In (Bethel, CT) from another road trip.

Both were great, I would be hard pressed to choose one over the other. One thing that struck me was both places (at that time) were being run by teenage girls (or thereabout)

We'll be going back to VT for labor day, I may look for other places along 89 and 91, or may stop back at either.
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1965
    RE: Ted's Steamed or White Hut? 2008/09/18 15:16:09 (permalink)
    Any local news about White Hut????
    This morning, I was a volunteer worker for Massachusetts Day at the Big E in West Springfield. I took the gig in no small part to eat lunch at the White Hut on the way home. Traffic was bad, so I didn't cross traffic to see why the parking lot was empty, at 12:30, on a Thursday. There was a sign on the door that I couldn't read from my truck, but it doesn't look good.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Ted's Steamed or White Hut? 2008/09/18 15:38:44 (permalink)
    I don't know what, if anything is going on, but when I was last at the big E a few years ago, the White Hut had a stand/counter in the food area right at the Big E. I wonder if they shut down the store and move operations down the road during the weeks of the Big E. I don't know...just guessing.
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Ted's Steamed or White Hut? 2008/09/19 05:56:45 (permalink)
    Just hit the Big E last night - now that you mention it, the parking lot of their building on the way there looked strangely empty, but I can say that their food stand (in the "local" food area foodcourt) was busy and pumping out greasy burgers. Perhaps they close the location during the Big E and move their resources to the fair - since the traffic is so bad there during this time would imagine most folks wouldn't brave any of the local businesses unless you were actually going to the Big E - and it seemed that most of the local business had turned their lots in to pay-for-parking for the fair, anyway. Can't help but add my two cents that I love burgers, and am NOT a fan of the White Hut. My husband got one last night and after a bite didn't change my mind - still not a fan.
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1965
    RE: Ted's Steamed or White Hut? 2008/09/19 12:47:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TnTinCT

Just hit the Big E last night...........

Did you stop by the Massachusetts building? Near our booth/tent that was promoting the Massachusetts Blanket, aka Baaaay State Blanket, there were exibits from the Air National Guard, UMass , Apple growers, and the Dairy Assn. We got to spend time with Miss Massachusetts who was a good sport about posing for pictures. I don't know anything about her, but she is very good at working a crowd, and showing interest in a wide variety of topics. That said, I think the calf at the dairy booth was more popular with the crowd. I didn't get to meet Gov Patrick, as he came after I left. I wonder if he was upstaged by the calf too???
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 899
    RE: Ted's Steamed or White Hut? 2008/09/19 12:52:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stanpnepa

I was a little disappointed by the White Hut cheeseburgers, but I had one the morning after a steamed cheeseburger at the Shady Glen---so maybe that's why?

Stanpnepa, you had a steamed cheeseburger at Shady Glen in Manchester? I've been there many, many times and didn't think they had the capacity to make a steamed cheeseburger like Ted's -- they don't have any steam boxes. Are you sure about this? I guess I could've missed something all these years... Chris
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    RE: Ted's Steamed or White Hut? 2008/09/19 13:19:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ayersian

quote:
    Originally posted by stanpnepa

Stanpnepa, you had a steamed cheeseburger at Shady Glen in Manchester? I've been there many, many times and didn't think they had the capacity to make a steamed cheeseburger like Ted's -- they don't have any steam boxes. Are you sure about this? I guess I could've missed something all these years... Chris

They grill thier burgers, the cheese goes on the flat top ontop of the burger, and thats how it gets crispy. BUT! They may add some water to the flat top to keep the cheese steamed, that way it doesnt' stick to the surface.
    GCD1962
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: Ted's Steamed or White Hut? 2008/09/30 21:36:24 (permalink)
    White Hut does have a spot at the Big E, that's why they close the regular place. I have not been impressed with what they offer at the Big E, hopefully the regular place is better.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1