Teflon heath risks in cookware

Author
yumbo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
2005/12/14 13:08:04 (permalink)

Teflon heath risks in cookware

Greetings All -

I was reading today's news about the $10.25 million fine that the EPA has levied against DuPont for their failure to disclose the dangerous and carcinogenic nature of certain chemicals used in Teflon's manufacturing process.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051214/ap_on_bi_ge/epa_teflon

Poking around the internet, I found an article on the dangers associated with heating a teflon-coated pan:

http://www.ewg.org/reports/toxicteflon/es.php

I like to think of myself as a reasonable person that doesn't like to sound alarmist. I have a variety of teflon coated pans, some new, some scorched, some scratched. But is it time to pitch the scorched and scratched ones? Are there any foodies on this list with a public health background that have any advice for me? Am I poisoning my wife and daughter everytime I use teflon?

Sincerely,

Yumbo
Milwaukee, WI

12 Replies Related Threads

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Teflon heath risks in cookware 2005/12/14 15:02:39 (permalink)
    where's Paul Harvey when you need the rest of the story?

Greyghost
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Teflon heath risks in cookware 2005/12/14 16:06:44 (permalink)
    Pitch it all and replace with the original nonstick cookware, cast iron.

Cast iron is inexpensive, sturdy and can be used on the stovetop or in the oven. Once it is seasoned cast iron is just as nonstick as Teflon. "Better living through chemistry," indeed.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Teflon heath risks in cookware 2005/12/14 19:07:34 (permalink)
    The chemical, as the article states is C-8 used in the manufacture of Teflon. It is not in the teflon that you are using. The case involves the West Virginia plant where it is used. There is not yet any apparent link with teflon use and human illness. It is absolutely true that overheating teflon in the kitchen will kill birds in a very brief period. This should be taken in perspective though- numerous household cleaners and common chemicals and several foods are also deadly to birds. DuPont lied about CFC's and tobacco companies lied about cigarettes so I'll remain a little skeptical. However, some of the "science in the public interest" groups involve people with axes to grind and do not present an objective analysis either. I'm not tossing out my wafflemaker just yet.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Teflon heath risks in cookware 2005/12/14 20:34:25 (permalink)
    Much as I too love cast iron for certain cooking tasks, it's difficult for some people to care for and season properly. If you want a non-stick alternative that doesn't involve extra care or Teflon, take a look at the Scanpan line: http://www.scanpan.com/main/products.aspx . These pans use a ceramic-titanium surface to make them non-stick, not plastic like Teflon, so they are dishwasher safe and you can use metal utensils with them if you must. They aren't cheap, but 2 decades ago I bought their largest fry pan and have loved it ever since (I'm still using it).
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Teflon heath risks in cookware 2005/12/15 07:32:13 (permalink)
    I'm willing to bet more people have been killed with cast iron than teflon pans. Boing! Right on the old coconut!
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Teflon heath risks in cookware 2005/12/15 07:36:15 (permalink)
    Was'nt their an aluminium pan scare a number of years ago also? I think it had something to do with M.S. if memory serves me right. Chow Jim
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: Teflon heath risks in cookware 2005/12/15 19:26:06 (permalink)
    I thought it was aluminum and Alzheimer's, but I forget.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Teflon heath risks in cookware 2005/12/15 21:10:13 (permalink)
    I still think cast iron is the best bang for the buck. You still get a fantastic cooking surface at a dirt cheap price as well as many extras.

For example: you not only get a good cooking system, you also get an effective weapons system and that is not all; due to its weight you get a free exercise system as well. Is that all? No, you also get nutrition from the pan itself. Iron can leech into your system, something your body needs anyway.

Tough cleanup? I don't think so. Usually you don't even have to wash the pan. Drain any grease, wipe out with a paper towel. If your seasoning has failed, simply clean the pan, coat with oil and bake for an hour. Your nonstick surface will have been restored.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Teflon heath risks in cookware 2005/12/16 03:07:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greyghost

Tough cleanup? I don't think so. Usually you don't even have to wash the pan. Drain any grease, wipe out with a paper towel. If your seasoning has failed, simply clean the pan, coat with oil and bake for an hour. Your nonstick surface will have been restored.

I agree but many people simply cannot tolerate the notion of not washing their pots and pans, even cast iron ones, with soap and water. IMHO, soap simply ruins the seasoning and even if you just use lots of hot water like I usually do, you have to make sure the pans are dry before putting them away. It's not that big a deal if you get used to it, but some people make an issue of it and cast iron simply may not be for them.
    jbryan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Teflon heath risks in cookware 2005/12/17 09:22:08 (permalink)
    You can pry my teflon pan from my cold, dead hands....
    brian12345
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:Teflon heath risks in cookware 2011/10/27 03:05:47 (permalink)
    While buying a non stick cookware, the first thing that needs to be checked is the coating which is used.Non stick cookwares coated with Teflon is harmful for Human Body. It has a substance called Carcinogen which can initiate cancer. There are several coating which are 100% natural.Ecolon is one  of them. Neoflam is manufacturing non stick cookwares coated with Ecolon.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10284
    Re:Teflon heath risks in cookware 2011/10/27 04:21:57 (permalink)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1