The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Tell Me About Places that are Gone

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 14, messages 271 to 300 of 391
paulsues

• Total Posts: 2
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Mon, 05/23/05 1:27 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by number71

Link's Log Cabin, huntington(?) Long Island, NY
Howard Johnson's--all over Long island
The Squire Deli--Great Neck, NY
(The wallpaper was of a forest, floor to ceiling for some reason.)
Gildo's Port Washington Long island
Lorainne Murphy's, Manhasset NY
Good Old times Ice Cream parlour, Roslyn, NY(which also made the ice cream and sold it there!)

There was a sushi resteraunt in Milwaukee Wi near the Oriental Theater which I used to love, but don't rememebr the name(you don't see many decent sushi places in Milwaukee!)

I'm sure more will come to me~!

paulsues

RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Mon, 05/23/05 1:28 PM (permalink)
    Link's Log Cabin was in Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, not Huntington, NY.
    quote:
    Originally posted by number71

Link's Log Cabin, huntington(?) Long Island, NY
    Howard Johnson's--all over Long island
    The Squire Deli--Great Neck, NY
    (The wallpaper was of a forest, floor to ceiling for some reason.)
    Gildo's Port Washington Long island
    Lorainne Murphy's, Manhasset NY
    Good Old times Ice Cream parlour, Roslyn, NY(which also made the ice cream and sold it there!)

There was a sushi resteraunt in Milwaukee Wi near the Oriental Theater which I used to love, but don't rememebr the name(you don't see many decent sushi places in Milwaukee!)

I'm sure more will come to me~!

ChezSophie

• Total Posts: 1
      RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Sat, 05/28/05 5:21 PM (permalink)
      Thanks so much "rwschemquest" for the kind words about Chez Sophie Bistro. You were trying to guess the kind of stainless steel diner we put the restaurant in, so I thought I'd add the provenance. It's a Fodero diner, not a trailer, and it was manufactured in Newark, New Jersey in 1952. It was originally installed in New Jersey, then 9 months later the owner traded it in like a used car, dishes and all. They hitched it to a truck and drove it up Route 9 from New Jersey to upstate New York, where it became the Malta Ridge Diner. In the 1970s, it became an Italian restaurant called Sam's. We bought it in 1995, restored it and put Chez Sophie in. By the way, the original counter seats are still in front of the bar. We did have to have reproductions made of the booths and banquettes because of theft and damage when the place was closed up for several years before we bought it. (Cheryl Clark, co-owner)

Tim C

• Total Posts: 21
        RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Thu, 06/2/05 2:59 PM (permalink)
        May I offer a memorial minute to a great place that I discovered from one of Jane and Michael's first books in the early 80s. It was an odd unpretentious place in Lanesboro, Mass. (which J&M correctly deemed a roadfood-poor section of the world) called Duck Soup. You could bring your own wine and they would uncork it for you and pour it into little sherbet glasses. You got this amazingly moist duck (the trick if I remember correctly from the chef was that he would buy extra-wide celery usually used to feed horses to line the roasting pan) along with a couple sides, the one of which I remember most clearly was outstanding Harvard beets. Having been exiled to Williamstown, Mass. (talk about roadfood-poor! -- apart from the sainted Blue Benn Diner in Bennington, VT) for a teaching job, Duck Soup was so wonderful that a friend from Williamstown my partner and I took there said with a determined look, "We're not going to tell anyone about this."

Alas, success went to the chef's head and he closed down Duck Soup and tried to open a supper club in Cheshire, Mass. to the east. The one time we went there was on Valentine's Day on a sub-sub-zero New England evening, and the whole scene was like something out of a David Lynch movie, complete with an accordionist whose instrument started smoking (literally) and crazed dancers who couldn't care less. The duck was OK but very late in coming, but the kahlua chocolate cheesecake from the nuns in New Skete, NY came microwaved. When we asked the waitress what was going on, she said "You don't want to know."

Requiescat in pace, Duck Soup!

angielynnscott

• Total Posts: 35
          RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Fri, 06/3/05 8:51 AM (permalink)
          In Kansas City there was a place called George's Sausage and Cheese Shop near the Country Club Plaza. The food was excellent and Ohh...if all could meet George. For the whole time he was open he served mainly five dishes-----Hungarian Chicken, Stuffed Green Peppers, Cinnamon Chicken, Hungarian Goulash(my all time favorite of his dishes) one other dish I can't remember. That was his menu. He did serve sausage and cheese although it was probably for a person to take home. The restaurant was his kitchen all in one. This was so great. If you didn't know what you wanted to eat he would let you test the dish before you ordered. How I miss that restaurant, he went out of business was because the "new development company" thought the restaurant was not upscale enough for the area. It was there long before the "new development" now it is a wig shop--go figure. I actually take classes from the local Communiversity, he teaches a class on one of his meals once every three months. This is the only way I can see him and taste his food.

Big Kahuna Kooks

• Total Posts: 490
            RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Wed, 06/8/05 12:37 PM (permalink)
            Some childhood places that are now just fond memories:
            1. Franksville. Across the street from Wrigley Field in mid 60's. Not a great Chicago dog, but dad used to take me there everytime for a pre-game dog.
            2. Paul & Ernies. On Lincoln near Diversy. The epitome of urban diner. Small, cramped but you could buy a bag of fries, salt 'em & then dump a bottle of ketchup in and shake 'em all around. What a summer treat.
            3. Flaming Pit Steakhouses. Local St. Louis chain that is now deceased. I still remember the garlicky coating on char grilled steaks.....

shell

• Total Posts: 24
              RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Thu, 06/9/05 5:20 PM (permalink)
              You've made me think of a few childhood memories in Seattle. There used to be a restaurant called "Pilgrim's Pantry" that my father would take us to on occasion. REALLY good food and the plates were spilling over witht he piles on them. Even my borther (who was a teeangaer at the time and eat us out of house and home!) had to take home a doggie bag!

And of course I have to mention Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor! Lots of fond birthday party and after game partys there! ;)

WarrenJersey

• Total Posts: 6
                RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Tue, 06/28/05 5:22 PM (permalink)
                You missed out on the best thing about York Steak House: not the steak, but the HAMBURGERS!

I went to York for years in Massachusetts, always for hamburgers. For little more than the price of McD's, you got a delicious char-broiled hamburger, steak fries that put those awful McD's "fries" to shame, and great desserts like puddings, cakes and pies. And all on real plates in a nice atmosphere (complete with medieval castle decor).

When my daughter was a baby they'd aways send someone to carry my wife's tray.

Where else could you have gotten that kind of service and eat out for about five bucks (in the late 70s, early 80s?
                quote:
                Originally posted by garryd451

quote:
                Originally posted by rwschemquest

Still some York Steakhouses around. One near me is on West Broad Street in Columbus. Haven't been inside one in years...they were horrid establishments. I just don't think a steak should ever be cooked in the presence of cafeteria trays. When I was in College in 1970 (Syracuse University), the food service staff decided to give us a treat an set up half barrels outside to charcoal grill steaks and the morons started the fire with gasoline and the steaks reaked of the smell of gas and you couldn't eat them.

Since that moment, NO steak I eat will have ever been in an establishment with cafeteria trays.
                quote:
                Originally posted by yogi bear

has anyone talked about york steak house yet

The above post reminded me of a cafeteria that did have great steaks and trays!!

It was Bishop's Cafeteria in Scottsdale Mall in South Bend Indiana, both Bishop's and Scottsdale mall are gone!

But I know Bishops was a chain and I was wondering if Bishop's is still around?

Richard Mackiewicz

• Total Posts: 25
                  RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Tue, 06/28/05 5:48 PM (permalink)
                  How about Red Barn? I remember the one in Erie Pa. for it's super Fried Chicken. Red Barn's Burgers also had a special sauce that was good. When I lived in Great Neck N.Y. we used to go to Wetson's on Northern Blvd, Carvel's for Ice Cream , and on Fridays HoJo's for Fried Clams. One thing I really remember is The Burger King in the early 70's on Northern Blvd. near Glen Cove. EVERY Burger was cooked individual and that seemed to add (along with thier sauce) great taste,not like now,where every burger in any chain has a eat by date on it.

rwschemquest

• Total Posts: 65
                    RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Tue, 06/28/05 6:38 PM (permalink)
                    THERE WAS A RED BARN ON HOOSICK STREET IN TROY, NY NEAR WHERE I GREW UP. LAST ONE I EVER SAW WAS IN EARLY 1990'S IN ASHLAND, OH. NEVER LIKED THEIR FOOD, SEEING AS I CAN'T STOMACH ANYTHING WITH MAYONAISSE AS AN INGREDIENT.
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Richard Mackiewicz

How about Red Barn? I remember the one in Erie Pa. for it's super Fried Chicken. Red Barn's Burgers also had a special sauce that was good. When I lived in Great Neck N.Y. we used to go to Wetson's on Northern Blvd, Carvel's for Ice Cream , and on Fridays HoJo's for Fried Clams. One thing I really remember is The Burger King in the early 70's on Northern Blvd. near Glen Cove. EVERY Burger was cooked individual and that seemed to add (along with thier sauce) great taste,not like now,where every burger in any chain has a eat by date on it.

mabk34

• Total Posts: 28
                      RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Thu, 06/30/05 4:24 PM (permalink)
                      There was a place on upper Peach Street in Erie, Pa., called DairyA, which mostly specialized in frozen custard, but also sold burgers, etc. It was in an A-frame shaped building at the top of a hill.

The unique thing about DairyA was, even as late as the mid-70s, it was the only place in Erie where you could buy a taco. There were no Mexican restaurants in Erie at the time (and only 1 or 2 Chinese restaurants; "ethnic" food back then meant Italian or German, period, so DairyA was where we went as teenagers for our fix, and to prove to our parents that we could branch out and try new things without them.

Oddly enough, the building is now a Taco Bell.

Scallion1

• Total Posts: 418
                        RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Sat, 07/9/05 6:12 PM (permalink)
                        I posted something about this a few months ago, but probably in the wrong place.
                        My question: anyone have any memories of, or info about, Cairo's, an Italian steak house somewhere in the Five Towns. Probably Lawrence or Inwood.
                        My recollections of this place have made it, in what passes for my mind these days, into a paragon of its breed, and I'd love to know how much the double Beefeater martinis I fancied in those days (daze) had to do with it.

Thanks,
                        Bill

Scallion1

RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Sat, 07/9/05 6:34 PM (permalink)
                          Also, for you Nutmeggers:
                          There was a diner called Stanley's, in New Milford or Danbury, near where my brother went to camp. The memory of the fresh peach pie brings tears to my eyes. Great tuna salad too, and the first place I ever had iced tea served, as is proper, with a small pitcher of simple syrup.

Drove up there years later from NYC, with the future Mrs. Scallion, only to find it gone, with a tire place or something equally depressing in its stead.

And definitely George and Harry's on Church St., and the Robbins' Nest on... maybe York St? a very cool bar owned and run by a racially mixed couple (don't know how to say that in a PC fashion, but no disrespect whatsoever intended) with a jukebox full of jazz. And the Soundtrack, somewhere out on Dixwell I think, that I was too baby-faced to get into but that was the source of numerous tales from older, or older-looking, friends. Think of the scene in Animal House where they go to the juke joint to see Otis Day and the Knights.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                            RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Mon, 07/11/05 11:07 PM (permalink)
                            I remember Red Barn. We had one in Kenosha, Wisconsin, on the corner of 39th Avenue & 60th Street, my grandparents lived around the corner. It hasn't been Red Barn since the 80's. The one they had in Racine is now called The Farm, and they have kept the red barn outside the same.

octopus

• Total Posts: 264
                              RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Fri, 07/15/05 4:16 PM (permalink)
                              Carrol's when I was a kid it was the only restuarant in the city I grew up in Rensselaer, NY the building still survives it is a Diner now. It brings back some old memories. those Orange Freezie Shake like things. That's what I can remember vividly about Carrols.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Sun, 07/17/05 4:21 PM (permalink)
                                A couple of places from my youth that are fondly remembered. Sid and Vi's Ice Cream parlor was a small shop in Carlton, Oregon, the town of 1,000 people where I spent the first ten years of my life. 10 cents bought a double scoop banana nut cone. We spent another dime on entry into the swimming pool and a nickle on a Hershey Bar. By the way, the ice cream was home made.
                                The other memory is of a place called the Pixie Kitchen. It had figurines of pixies underneath the glass tables where you ate .They served seafood. The restaurant was in what is now Lincoln City, Oregon and was always a favorite stop when we visited my Grandparents ' place on the coast.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                                  RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Mon, 07/18/05 12:11 PM (permalink)
                                  Ole Original BBQ in Charlotte on Camp Green St. Only good or great (depending on how Duck felt that day) Q place to ever exist in Charlotte.

Closed about ten years ago and now there isn't even a good Q place in Charlotte. I was born here and so were my kids...Q doesn't exist in Charlotte.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17800
                                    RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Mon, 07/18/05 12:56 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Scallion1

And definitely George and Harry's on Church St.

There were two George & Harry's restaurants in New Haven. There was the great one I used to hang out in on Wall Street, which later (sad to say) became Naples Pizza, and there was the G&H on Temple Street. The one on Temple Street was where parents ate, while the one on Wall Street was where you drank beer, ate and listened to Theresa Brewer sing Put Another Nickel In, In The Nickelodeon on the juke box while busily carving your name into the tables and booths.

Scallion1

RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Mon, 07/18/05 5:52 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

There were two George & Harry's restaurants in New Haven. There was the great one I used to hang out in on Wall Street, which later (sad to say) became Naples Pizza, and there was the G&H on Temple Street. The one on Temple Street was where parents ate, while the one on Wall Street was where you drank beer, ate and listened to Theresa Brewer sing Put Another Nickel In, In The Nickelodeon on the juke box while busily carving your name into the tables and booths.

Ouch! Your time there must have predated mine, Michael, as it was always the Naples Pizza to me. And I must admit that I ate a ton of Naples pizza (with extra cheese!!), and enjoyed it, but I've always been prone to that kind of excess.

Theresa Brewer? Uh-uh. Not on my worst day. My days up there were filled with Motown, Stax/Volt, Otis Redding and then the British Invasion and the psychedelic stuff.

What was the name of the restaurant on College Street, on the other side of Church? I think it was next to a pipe store (the Owl Shop??) but this stuff is simultaneously giving me a headache and making me melancholy, so ta-ta for now.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Tue, 07/19/05 12:24 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:

quote:
                                        Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Ouch! Your time there must have predated mine, Michael, as it was always the Naples Pizza to me. And I must admit that I ate a ton of Naples pizza (with extra cheese!!), and enjoyed it, but I've always been prone to that kind of excess.

Theresa Brewer? Uh-uh. Not on my worst day. My days up there were filled with Motown, Stax/Volt, Otis Redding and then the British Invasion and the psychedelic stuff.

What was the name of the restaurant on College Street, on the other side of Church? I think it was next to a pipe store (the Owl Shop??) but this stuff is simultaneously giving me a headache and making me melancholy, so ta-ta for now.

Actually, College Street and Church Street run parallel to each other, separated by Temple Street, and all three cross Chapel Street. As to the restaurant on the other side of the Owl Shop (from which I always used to order my tobacco blend), the one I remember has been gone for a long time. It was Kaycees (sp), and the front window of this restaurant always had a whole Alaskan king crab on display. They also served potato pancakes with their roast beef, but that's another story.

moshimarks

• Total Posts: 1
                                          RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Tue, 07/19/05 3:28 PM (permalink)
                                          The Peter Pan Inn in Urbana, Maryland is the place I miss the most.
                                          Family dining, seating up to 1,000.

Scallion1

RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Tue, 07/19/05 9:32 PM (permalink)
                                            Michael,
                                            Mea culpa, mea culpa. Memories are foggy, and getting foggier by the month, I'm afraid.

Kaycee's sounds right. When I get home I'll look in an old yearbook I found. Right across from the Hotel Taft, of blessed memories, I believe, but that's DEFINITELY another thread, for another board!

Michael Hoffman

RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Tue, 07/19/05 11:39 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:

Michael,
                                              Mea culpa, mea culpa. Memories are foggy, and getting foggier by the month, I'm afraid.

Kaycee's sounds right. When I get home I'll look in an old yearbook I found. Right across from the Hotel Taft, of blessed memories, I believe, but that's DEFINITELY another thread, for another board!

Absolutely. Right across from the Taft.

MacTAC

• Total Posts: 425
                                                RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Sat, 07/23/05 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by paulsues

Link's Log Cabin was in Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, not Huntington, NY

Definitely not Lake Ronkonkoma. Possibly Huntington, but I think it was Centerport

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                                  • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Sat, 08/6/05 7:58 AM (permalink)
                                                  I like reading of the places contained in the earlier Stern's Roadfood books. One that I visited back in the 80's that changed hands and 'style' since was the Syringa Cafe on US 12 in Kooskia, Idaho. Located on the Idaho side of Lolo Pass,it was a rather well-worn image of the roadside eatery. J & M wrote of it measuring the pies produced there as the 'best' in flowing terms. After reading their review I side-tripped over the Pass while on a cross-country (Indiana to Oregon) motorcycle run and never regretted the extra day it took to ride that wonderful road thru the Bitterroots. The Pie served was indeed spectacular. The Coconut Cream tasted like it was created with home-grown Coconuts, shredded by grass-skirted native girls and placed gently into the pastry shell by Amish Grandmothers, then baked in a wood-fired oven hauled thru the Rockies by those early Mormon settlers in the region. (BTW Jane and Michael do 'Mix Metaphors' now and then ) Go back and read the whole entry for that place and gain an understanding of why it will be missed on the list of out-of-the-way roadie stops.

CoastFan

• Total Posts: 116
                                                    RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Sun, 08/7/05 11:48 AM (permalink)
                                                    While certainly not roadfood as such, the best restaurant I've ever been to was in a little western PA town (Gallitzen) called Eurculini's. It was in the basement of a house, but the family owned business served meals beyond compare.

You could be stuffed by the various antipasti and other offerings brought to the table, before dinner was even ordered. On one trip (back in the mid 1960's) my younger brother who was about 10 at the time, wanted ravioli. They didn't have it on the menu, but the onwer said he'd make some up, He made from scratch a large batch of the best cheese filled raviolis you could imagine.

The place was expensive, but well worth it. (In the late1960's, the fixed dinner price was $10, which was a lot of money back in those days.)

Back in the early 1980's, I was in Portland, OR, visiting the parents of a woman I was dating at that time. He was a retired engineer who had attended RPI in upstate NY, and had lived all over the world on various assignments. Naturally, the discussion got around to food. He started to say that the "best restaurant he had ever been to was in a small Western PA town called...". Before he could say the name, I blurted out "Eurculini's!". He was shocked to say the least that two guys in Portland OR would both consider a restaurant in a small WA PA town, as the best they had ever been to.

If anyone else has memories of this place, which I understand has been closed for some time now, I'd like to hear them.

GordonW

• Total Posts: 924
                                                      • Location: Chapel Hill, NC
                                                      RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Sun, 08/7/05 12:37 PM (permalink)
                                                      If there's a place that sticks in my mind, it's Bill and Nada's Cafe, in Salt Lake City. Genuine, classic roadfood as God intended it to be. Twenty-four hours, Mormons and rednecks during the day; pretty much the dregs after dark, especially late night. Brains and eggs was one of their signature dishes. Alas, they closed in 1999.

http://www.authorstephenwhite.com/Photo_Gallery/Bill_and_Nada_s/bill_and_nada_s.html

What's disappointing in context is that Chuck-a-Rama is thriving.

lcfame

• Total Posts: 10
                                                        • Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
                                                        RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Sun, 08/7/05 2:44 PM (permalink)
                                                        Shorty's in Key West!! The best French Toast in the world, and now it is a T Shirt Shpo ( Key West really needed one more of those...) Wish I could find someone who knew the secret of the French Toast- some sort of sour dough coating- maybe some sort of liquer - it was so good! Sob!

Beer&Snausages

• Location: Owings Mills, MD
                                                          RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Sun, 08/7/05 3:35 PM (permalink)
                                                          Maronne's Pizza, Wahiawa, HI from my youth. Great handmade pizza from the days of hand tossed personal touch pizza.

Chicken Delight - They used to deliver chicken dinners to your door.

Mr Foos - Blacksburg, VA

A sub joint, in Radford VA that baked their subs in pizza ovens and added slaw to an Italian sub Oooooooo to die for.

flyufast

• Location: Louisville, KY
                                                            RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone Thu, 08/18/05 2:40 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Wistah

quote:
                                                            I loved Arthur Treacher's. And there was a knock off around here in MI that featured a penguin as it's symbol. Can't come up with the name, though. Damn electric shock treatments are messing with my memeory.

Clothier - that chain was called Hungry Penguin. I grew up in the Detroit area and vaguely remember them as a competitor to Arthur Treachers. I remember the Arhtur Treachers on Vernier Road outside of Eastland Mall.

Here's one for you - ever hear of a place called Vernier's, up near Mt. Clemens (Fair Haven?). I remember them over 30 years ago having the most incredible big burgers and fries....maybe it was just because I was a youngster, but they sure seemed special....

I haven't spent any time in the Detroit area in many years, so I have no idea if Verniers still exists.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 14, messages 271 to 300 of 391

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com