Hot!Tell Me About Places that are Gone

Page: << < ..11121314 > Showing page 12 of 14
Author
quazforb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2006/09/21 00:36:33 (permalink)
As a kid my folks would take me to das Smorgasbord in Hemet, CA. It's undoubtedly long gone, but as Hemet is a retirement community, I'm sure it has its share of replacements.

My most lasting memory was the jello that would bounce, not splat, when dropped.
quote:
Originally posted by GeoNit

Looking for a California SMORGAASBORD, hit the linky below!

http://www.solvangUSA.com
conrado
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/02/04 11:40:38 (permalink)
Does anybody remember "The Wharf" restaurant that was right on the beach in "Lauderdale by the Sea" Florida? It was the last place I worked before being drafted in 1971. Folks who owned it also had a place called "The Plantation" that was further south. Great food and atmosphere, valet parking and window seats overlooking the ocean. Also a chain of pizza joints called "King Arthur's Pizza" or some such thing? Also in South Florida. I lived in an apartment over one.

Zaberer's? There were two. The one outside AC, owned by Charlie Zaberer, and one in Wildwood, owned by his brother Ed. Both featured some of the best food on the Jersey coast in the 50's and 60's, and "Zaberized" cocktails that must have been about 16 ounces. Both long gone, Ed's place having gone down hill quite a bit before succumbing to a fire (arson?) in the early or mid-nineties.
mr. sausage
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 91
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/02/06 00:31:17 (permalink)
There was a place called the Birdcage at Seven Corners Mall in Falls Church Virginia. When I was quite young my mom would take me there as a treat. I remember it as a kind of tea room where ladies would pause for some nourishment before resuming their shopping. What I mostly remember was the rolling dessert cart, the height of decadence for a 5 year old. The mall has since been razed and internet searches regarding the Birdcage have proved fruitless. Anybody remember it?
mjambro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/02/06 20:39:22 (permalink)
Mary Mac's is still in Atlanta (224 Ponce De Leon Ave NE). It's doing well and still serves up an excellent southern style fare.

Look up GA on the roadfood.com restaurant site. I do, however, miss the Midway Restaurant (rt 9) in Alpharetta. It closed after fire a few years ago. It definately rivaled Mary Mac's (better IMO).
deeq47
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/02/16 13:08:56 (permalink)
Carsons in Atlantic City NJ Fried lobster Tails . Would love recipe.
ohiosteaklover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/04/09 13:55:50 (permalink)
The Flaming Pit in the Tri-County Mall area just north of Cincinnati, Ohio. About once a month, my parents would take us there for dinner on Saturday evening. I always remember being allowed to order a "kiddie cocktail". And, after dinner, on the way out, my brother and I were allowed to pick a prize from the childrens treasure chest. Great stuff!!
blue heaven
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 491
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/04/09 16:20:47 (permalink)
I miss the English Room in the George Washington Hotel in Washington Pennsylvania. They used to have a smorgasbord that was delicious.
janicks
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/04/09 17:14:40 (permalink)
Anyone remember the Wharf in Fort Wayne IN? They had a salad bar and the Green Goddess dressing was my favorite,
Also, the dessert, Coco Moco Rum pie,
It had this toasted coconut crust and I think coffee ice crean and the whip crean and a rum sauce ,
It was also awesome, I think it was owned by the Azar family I am not sure but it was a great place.
jimmy027
Junior Burger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/04/13 20:04:59 (permalink)
The Lums restaurant in Avon CT, the best Ollie burgers and roastbeef.
Sadly it is now a Dunkin Donuts.
wingandaprayer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/05/01 14:15:28 (permalink)
The "Spot" in Harrisburg, PA. Everybody went there after the bars closed for a hot dog or a steak sub.
Sadly, a result of urban renewal.
UCmba97
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/05/30 15:23:31 (permalink)
In the Tri-County area of Cincinnati, Ohio...in the early to mid 70's was an ice cream parlor and sandwich shop....trying to recall the name, but I was quite young then. When it was your birthday they wrang bells and pulled braided cords that caused whistles to go off. They had a candy shop area at the cash register on the way out. I recall the servers wearing uniforms that resembled barbershop quartet outfits, with garters on their arms, stripes on the fabric, vests and hats. Was it called Farrel's? I remember going there for birthdays when I was 7 and 8 yrs old. Wow what a place. What huge Sundae's...and those bells & whistles!!
http://www.farrellsusa.com/
Guess the concepts isn't gone, but the Cinti store is. Best birthdays as a child ever, celebrated at Farrels.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4561
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/05/30 15:35:03 (permalink)
Yes, Farrels. Long gone.
Donnyboy
Junior Burger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/06/04 14:51:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by essvee

Oooh oooh! I just remembered one-- Valle's, a chain steak house thingee. I remember a few in New England. My great-grandparents, in Kittery, Maine, considered Valle's to be the epitome of swank, and all special occasions convocated there. It was in a mall next to a Two Guys department store, remember those?

I do not know, however, if Valle's is still around or not.

My mother and father used to go to a Valle's in West Haven, Connecticut.

My parents & grandparents and I used to go to a Valles' Steakhouse in Stratford, CT, on Lordship Blvd and yes, it was very cool....!!
Mack184
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/06/05 13:21:06 (permalink)
Danny's on Charles Street in Baltimore. It was my first experience in "fine dining". My aunt & uncle were both professional people with lots of money and no children, and they tended to spoil my sister & I at times. Back in the day when phone calls were a mere dime, Danny's would give you back your "dime" for making a reservation at their restaurant. When you were seated at the table, there was a little card on the table with your name, and the time of your reservation, and inside the card was a shiny new dime and a line of thanks for coming in. I still have my first Danny's card from when I was 11. The waiters [no female waitstaff allowed at that time] would make ceasar salad at your table, bring everything with a flourish as though it was a broadway production. Very heady stuff for a little guy who was still trying to figure out what all the forks were for!
LJM
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/06/05 14:05:24 (permalink)
I recently discovered that The Berghoff Restaurant, located at 17 West Adams in Chicago, IL, closed its doors last year after providing 107 years of excellent food and service to Chicagoians.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15219
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/06/06 13:16:59 (permalink)
LJM,
I believe the bar is still in operation with some sort of food service available. The company switched to a catering, private dining operation when it closed it's public dining facility.

I miss the old place also.
LRJordan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/09/20 22:17:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

OK, here's another one. Ott's BBQ somewhere between Knoxville and Sweetwater. Not traditional southern bbq, but they had this wonderful hot ham that my Dad loved, and when he would take me to Knoxville to see the orthodontist we would often stop at Ott's on the way home. Does anyone remember this place? I think it is gone, but maybe not. I'm not sure exactly where it was, my Dad was known to go off the road and out of his way for good food. Thanks.

Leslie: Otts was on the west end of Farragut on Kingston Pike. The building is still there and I think their sign is still intact but I think it is gone.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
LRJordan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/09/20 22:22:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

OK, here's another one. Ott's BBQ somewhere between Knoxville and Sweetwater. Not traditional southern bbq, but they had this wonderful hot ham that my Dad loved, and when he would take me to Knoxville to see the orthodontist we would often stop at Ott's on the way home. Does anyone remember this place? I think it is gone, but maybe not. I'm not sure exactly where it was, my Dad was known to go off the road and out of his way for good food. Thanks.

Leslie: Otts was on the west end of Farragut on Kingston Pike. The building is still there and I think their sign is still intact but I think it is gone.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Ott's BBQ in Farragut is going to re-open!!! Guessing sometime around November 2007.

DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/09/21 19:54:21 (permalink)
Cleveland used to have four huge downtown department stores-- Sterling-Linder, the May Company, Halle Brothers, and Higbee's. And all of them had restaurants and coffee shops. My family liked to eat at Halle's and especially at Higbee's. The restaurant at Halle's was decorated as a gazebo with open white woodwork and white translucent panels giving the illusion of daylight. My younger sister liked the "Hobo Meal" which came wrapped in a red bandanna on a small bindlestiff. Inside was a hot dog, fries, and other stuff. My favorite item on the kids menu was the chicken casserole, which came in a small glass chicken. You lifted off the back and there was the serving bowl full of chicken in gravy.

Higbee's had a snack bar in the basement (just off the train station entrance), a cafeteria, a coffee shop, and the incredible Minotaur Room. The Minotaur Room was decorated in a 360 degree mural depicting scenes from Greek mythology. If you were unsure of your myths, the hostess had fliers giving a quick explanation of all the myths and people portrayed. Monday through Friday it was a full service restaurant but Saturdays the restaurant fetaured an incredible smorgasbord! It was a wonderland for a preteen like me, enabling me to both get my own food and to explore things I'd never taste otherwise, such as breaded pike balls.

janifer
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/09/21 20:32:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DavidEMartin

Cleveland used to have four huge downtown department stores-- Sterling-Linder, the May Company, Halle Brothers, and Higbee's. And all of them had restaurants and coffee shops. My family liked to eat at Halle's and especially at Higbee's. The restaurant at Halle's was decorated as a gazebo with open white woodwork and white translucent panels giving the illusion of daylight. My younger sister liked the "Hobo Meal" which came wrapped in a red bandanna on a small bindlestiff. Inside was a hot dog, fries, and other stuff. My favorite item on the kids menu was the chicken casserole, which came in a small glass chicken. You lifted off the back and there was the serving bowl full of chicken in gravy.

Wow, the "Hobo Meal" and the glass chicken sound so familiar. I wonder if the Polsky's tea room in downtown Akron borrowed them or if maybe my mom/grandmom took me to Halle's ... I always wanted to go at christmas to see Mr. Jing-a-ling and we didn't so I'd think if I remember not seeing Mr. J I might remember visiting the store some other time. Ah, the memories. The Shoreway in the blowing snow on my way to Public Auditorium to see Grand Funk Railroad and another to see Neil Young (with Linda Ronstadt as the opener) are my only conscious memories of visits to Cleveland. Thirty miles used to be a whole lot farther away than it is now. Thanks for facilitating the mental trip.
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1510
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/09/21 20:56:44 (permalink)
There was a place called Aunt Fanny's Cabin outside of Atlanta (Smyrna maybe) served family style, huge restaurant and very popular. I worked as an electrician and our company got called there to fix this or that pretty often. Only ate there a few times, the specialty was fried chicken and they had a good baked squash casserole. I think it was pretty expensive.
travis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/11/05 02:05:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pennypincher

Al Deppe's donuts on Staten Island. Wow, they were delicious.

The place was closed to make way for a new expressway back in the 1960's.

I am only vaguely aware of going to Al Deppe's - it was a long time ago and, in those days, it was a place that was "too far away" for Mom to take the kids (all the way from New Dorp Beach). There was the occasional trip on very special occasions: Birthdays, elementary school graduations. or maybe - just maybe - a stop on the way home on a Saturday night from the "farmer's market," the auction on Richmond Avenue; we didn't go out for fast food back then.

I remember it was a proto-fast-food place the kind of which is found today off the beaten path. There is a similar place on Rt.3 in Adirondack Park.

I am not sure that it was closed to make way for the highway since it was on the other side of Arthur Kill Road, where Greenridge Shopping Center is now.

Be that as it may, the pizza place at the intersection of Arthur Kill and Richmond Avenue (next to the miniature golf course) has some photos on the wall of old Staten Island including Al Deppe's and I recently read something (maybe in the S.I. Advance) that is very urban legend-ish:

The Elk's Lodge was Al Deppe's home. There was a tunnel between the restaurant and the house so that the owner could bring the day's take home without venturing outside. Since there were few people out and about after hours back then, especially since ther area was mostly swamp and airport, this would seem over cautious.

It's a nice story, though.

travis

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/11/05 06:04:31 (permalink)
My mom would put all of us five boys in the station wagon to take us to the Nut Tree in Vacaville, CA.
It was a fairly long drive for us but it was a fun spot. The food was unique, even for us kids, but we all loved the dessert of sliced pineapple with a marshmallow sauce. This place was at the forefront of what became California cuisine. Alas, what was new then is old hat now.
There was a little train that circled the property and a gift shop where I bought a professional grade harmonica. I was very good at making alot of melodic noise with that thing....

\http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_Tree_Restaurant
The place is still around in a completely different form. I am sure that there are some forum members who could chip in as to what the place is like now.

mark
sftreat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 50
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/11/05 06:28:03 (permalink)
There used to be a deli in "The City By The Bay" called Herman's. They served a dutch style potato salad that had no mustard. It was pure white and had a tangy flavor that was unrivaled. My 2 brothers and I still talk about it decades after its demise.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4058
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/12/28 19:47:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by blue heaven

I miss the English Room in the George Washington Hotel in Washington Pennsylvania. They used to have a smorgasbord that was delicious.

My goodness, what a memory flash your post created. My parents made me put on my Sunday suit and took me there to celebrate my first day in Mrs. Corwin's East Washington kindergarten class (1952). Before their smorgasboard days they were strictly "white linen" fine dining and this was my first such experience. I had a shrimp cocktail appetizer, fried shrimp for my entre, baked Alaska for dessert, and Coke with cherry syrup (a volante!) to wash it all down. WOW!!!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4058
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/12/28 20:06:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CoastFan

While certainly not roadfood as such, the best restaurant I've ever been to was in a little western PA town (Gallitzen) called Eurculini's. It was in the basement of a house, but the family owned business served meals beyond compare.

You could be stuffed by the various antipasti and other offerings brought to the table, before dinner was even ordered. On one trip (back in the mid 1960's) my younger brother who was about 10 at the time, wanted ravioli. They didn't have it on the menu, but the onwer said he'd make some up, He made from scratch a large batch of the best cheese filled raviolis you could imagine.

The place was expensive, but well worth it. (In the late1960's, the fixed dinner price was $10, which was a lot of money back in those days.)

Back in the early 1980's, I was in Portland, OR, visiting the parents of a woman I was dating at that time. He was a retired engineer who had attended RPI in upstate NY, and had lived all over the world on various assignments. Naturally, the discussion got around to food. He started to say that the "best restaurant he had ever been to was in a small Western PA town called...". Before he could say the name, I blurted out "Eurculini's!". He was shocked to say the least that two guys in Portland OR would both consider a restaurant in a small WA PA town, as the best they had ever been to.

If anyone else has memories of this place, which I understand has been closed for some time now, I'd like to hear them.

They advertised so much (and so well) - especially on the Bob Tracey show on KDKA - that I, as a kid, begged my parents to take me there. Wow! It was fantastic, better than Johnny Garneau's "Golden Spike" (which in its own right was pretty damn good)!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10202
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2007/12/29 00:02:42 (permalink)
MetroplexJim-
Thanks for mentioning Johnny Garneau's Golden Spike. I haven't thought about that place for years.

As a kid, we always got to choose what restaurant we wanted to eat at for our birthday, and I always chose Johnny Garneau's, so I could get their fried shrimp. I miss the place!
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1069
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/01/02 10:49:19 (permalink)
I remember Gino's from when we lived in Maryland.My dad was stationed at Fort George Meade for the AirForce cause he was working at NSA.We also would hit the Hot Shoppes quite often.
There was some steakhouse we would eat at,but I can't remember it's name.

I remember here in San Antonio,Youngblood's Fried Chicken,near the Witte Museum on Broadway.
There was the TeePee Steakhouse on Austin Highway.It was a restaurant attached to the Tee Pee Motel
which was a chain of motels with the cabins built in the shape of native american teepees.
In fact,www.texasescapes.com has a photo of a restored TeePee Motel in Wharton County, I think in Hungerford,but not sure right now.
There was also Captain Jim's also on Austin Highway,where we would drive to to buy great fried fish.
lanfarm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/02/18 16:40:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Oooh oooh! I just remembered one-- Valle's, a chain steak house thingee. I remember a few in New England. My great-grandparents, in Kittery, Maine, considered Valle's to be the epitome of swank, and all special occasions convocated there. It was in a mall next to a Two Guys department store, remember those?

My mother and father used to go to a Valle's in West Haven, Connecticut.
lanfarm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/02/18 16:43:50 (permalink)
quote:

Page: << < ..11121314 > Showing page 12 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1