Tell Me About Places that are Gone

Page: << < ..11121314 > Showing page 13 of 14
Author
lanfarm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/02/18 16:45:10 (permalink)
In 1968, Valle's served TWO live lobsters for dinner with all the fixins' for $3.95. Not really surprised they are not around anymore??
quote:
Originally posted by essvee

Oooh oooh! I just remembered one-- Valle's, a chain steak house thingee. I remember a few in New England. My great-grandparents, in Kittery, Maine, considered Valle's to be the epitome of swank, and all special occasions convocated there. It was in a mall next to a Two Guys department store, remember those?

I do not know, however, if Valle's is still around or not.
msd01
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/02/24 19:11:42 (permalink)
Minotaur Room was actually at The Halle Brothers Company, on the ninth floor. Towards the end, it was remodeled and named the Geranium Room, after Halle's official flower. There were also Geranium Rooms at two of Halle's branch stores-- Severance Center and Westgate. Sadly, Halle's Downtown is now an office building and Halle's Severance Center and Westgate have been demolished.

Higbee's had another, probably more famous resturant, The Silver Grille on the tenth floor. It also had a resturant where for $1.10 you could get a quick meal, called the Pronto Room. Higbee's also had resturants at all it's suburban stores, but they all operated under different names: Westwood Room at Westgate; Hobnail Room at Severance Center; Attic and Midway Mall; Lakeland Room at Great Lakes Mall; Racing something at Randall Mall; Beachtree at Beachwood Place;Zodiac Room at Parmatown.

Closing out the Cleveland department resturant sceen was the Mayfair Room, fifth floor downtown, Heights, Parmatown (I think) and Southgate.
msd01
Junior Burger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/02/24 19:14:23 (permalink)
Here's a link for a picture of the wall at Halle's Minoutar Room--

http://images.ulib.csuohio.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/press&CISOPTR=466&REC=19
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/03/03 13:37:58 (permalink)
is the Wimpy's chain still around in chicago?
DavyD
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/03/05 23:41:06 (permalink)
I grew up in Muskegon, MI in the 50's does anyone remember Nibble-A-Scrib-Nib? Very skinny building, downtown? Great food!!!
pekarekj
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/03/06 02:02:21 (permalink)
The venerable New York Spaghetti House in Cleveland, Ohio. Home of the famous and unique brown sauce. Open from 1927 to 2007. Bought by new owners and converted into a sports bar.

Brown Sauce: The famous brown sauce invented by Mario Brigotti when he first opened the New York Spaghetti House in 1927. This sauce is made with a vegetable base, meat ground very finely, and, of course, plum tomatoes and spices simmered to a smooth consistency. Meatballs are a natural addition for a one-dish meal. Where to Shop.

Fortunately, the brown sauce is still available in select stores in Cleveland, and can be shipped . Go to:

http://www.newyorkspaghettihouse.com/products.html

LANMAN11
Junior Burger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/04/03 14:58:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hungovergourmet

Funny to be reading the messages here and see somebody else who remembers the HoJo's in Willingboro and the Pennsauken Mart, as well as somebody else who knows of the Woolworth's in Cherry Hill Mall. Wow!

The Mart is in the path of the wrecking ball and apparently will stay open for business until the end of September 2004. It'll be a sad day for me when the Mart is no more. I have so many great memories of that place. Describing the Mart doesn't even do it justice, but I suppose we all have a place we hold near and dear to our hearts like that.

When the Mart comes down it will mean that two places that shaped my teenage years and young adult life -- Vet Stadium and The Mart -- will be no more. Boo-hiss!
LANMAN11
Junior Burger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/04/03 15:05:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hungovergourmet

Wow... thanks for the quick responses. I've just started posting to the forums here and I'm thoroughly impressed by the knowledge, enthusiasm and input from the group.

Do you guys mind if I use some of this input for the newsletter?

"Marine DIs on crystal meth," what a word picture THAT paints!

A favorite place of mine that's on its way out is The Pennsauken Mart in Pennsauken, NJ. It's an indoor flea market and they have this place in there called Italian Village that makes some of the best Italian hoagies in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area. There's also another place that makes incredible Philly Soft Pretzels. The Mart has a rep for beinbg a little "dirty" so the soft pretzel place is almost hermetically sealed!! They're tearing down the Mart to put up a convention and expo center.

The Italian Village is alive and well on Route 73 in Maple Shade (same owners, same hoagies).
The pretzel place has moved to Route 130 in Cinnaminson where 130 intersects with 73.
They have also opened up a pseudo Pennsauken Mart called the Willingboro Marketplace on Rte. 130 in which many of the Mart's shops have moved to. It's newer, but strangely enough, it has the same odor...
grovers
Junior Burger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/04/08 23:20:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chef joe

Berry's Steaks at 2nd & Jackson Sts., in South Philly. A pile of grilled beef and fried onions on a small torpedo roll with just the right amount of grease dripping off them. The beef and onions had a touch of "burnt" to them and they had their own homemade steak sauce, tried for years to duplicate it, but I never figured it out. Pat's and Geno's didn't even come close to these, you didn't even need cheese on them - boy were they good! Also the Rendezvous in North Wildwood in the 70's the best cheesesteaks and snapper turtle soup at the Jersey shore.

I remember Berrys very well. When I was a kid coming home from my grandparent's house in South Philly we would beg our dad to stop at Berrys. Your right that sauce was out of this world, never had anything like it again. The sauce would soak into the roll, the steaks were great. You forgot the square cut onions and the pickle spear on every steak. Good Memories
iqdiva
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/04/10 13:58:17 (permalink)
In New Orleans,Louisiana...

The old FITZGERALD'S on Lake Ponchartrain...
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/04/10 14:23:09 (permalink)
Growing up in the 50's..our treat for willingly going to grandma's house in New Brunswick,NJ was to stop at the Howard Johnson's along the way for one of their hotdogs in that New England roll & their onion rings. Mom always got their fried clams...and we all had tall cold cokes...coke made, then, with real sugar not God awful High Fructose corn syrup....Of to have that meal at an Orange roof H.J. today!!!
davidmcc
Junior Burger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/07/08 09:07:12 (permalink)
Some details about the Duck Soup Restaurant that another poster got wrong...

The Chef relocated to Cheshire after the landlord got greedy. Otherwise the soup would have remained there.

I am the kid described in the writeup about the restaurant, also was busboy, dishwasher and eventually waiter before escaping to a better life (I am 40 now).

The description of Greylock Gardens as a David Lynch scene is apropos - I used to cringe! I guess it proved that the ambience or attitude of the Soup was entirely accidental (except the quality of the food of course).

Alas, dad became very ill and we lost everything. He passed away a couple years ago, but he managed to live his dream for a time at least.

While I'm at it, I should mention that many people came with their Roadfood under their arm and proceeded to order exactly what J&M described eating. We got a lot of orders for "lobster, roast duckling, cinnamon bread, blackberry pie and spaghetti al pesto." They didn't realize is that they ate several meals over a couple days.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/07/08 12:52:48 (permalink)

Lee-
HoJo switched to their own recipe cola beverage from the Coke Brand in the mid-60's. HoJo Cola (catchy name, huh??) was slow to gain recognition by the customers. To me it tasted like a blend of cola and Moxie.. a learned taste appeal I am sure. One day while I was working for HoJo on I-95 in Mass., a customer asked me why they changed the name when the beverage seemed to be the same. I was amazed! There were some major differences in taste for sure! I like Moxie, but the HoJo cola was beyond my acceptance level.

Being a lover of Whole-Belly clams, especially while living on the 'North Shore' a few miles from Ipswich and the other Clam Meccas, I was always suprised at how many people preferred the HoJo Fried Clams, which were the cut-clam strips, not whole clams. We sold tons of them every week...even in the Winter.

When they rebuilt I-95 north of Boston in the 70's (or whenever it happened) They removed those two Hojos and the ARCO stations that were part of the 'service ares' on both sides of the Highway. They were an interest example of 'roadtrip culture' from that era. I wish I had saved some of the menus and other paperwork from my college years of working there.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/07/08 13:01:54 (permalink)
Thanks, Al for the history. I did not know of HoJo cola...seems like a bad idea. Why bother.I agree,I wish I had an old HoJo menu...I'm sure I could find one on e-bay. I guess Howard Johnson's was already changing from the one I knew by the 60's.
harleytexas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/08/06 06:20:37 (permalink)
My mom's sub shops, Trudy's Subs/Sub Shack. Best subs ever!!! Woolworth's, Kresges, Woolco, and Eatons all had places I liked to eat. Reddi Chef across from my apartment when I was growing up, best burgers and fries. A lot of convenience stores had lunch counters. There was a hamburger place across from a movie theatre in downtown Hamilton, Ontario that my dad and I used to go to all the time called Valos...great burgers. The Steak & Burger that was downtown and the Takee Outee for chinese food that was also downtown.
Papabarncat
Junior Burger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/09/07 21:10:03 (permalink)
Does anyone remember a small 'burger chain in the MetroWest Ma. area called "Mr. Hamburg"? 15¢ hamburgers (great in my memory) and other "standard" burger joint fare. I believe the first location was on Ma. RTE 9 across from the west side entrance road to Shopper's World" next to another locally famous but gone landmark; "Giovanni's". There was another location in Marlborough, which they quickly renamed "Mikel's" (in the building that is now "Firefly's" (was "Royal Mandarin") on US. RTE. 20). I believe they also had something to do with another local chain of ice cream stands called "Brewster's" for a brief period before they all disappeared.
phxmom
Junior Burger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/09/07 21:41:13 (permalink)
Anyone remember Farrell's Ice Cream Parlours? I think they were mainly located on the West Coast. Best place for birthday parties!
BurgerMan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/09/08 12:19:40 (permalink)
Does anyone remember the Judy's Restaurant Chain. They were around in the late 70's- early 80's. They were very similar to Wendy's, infact I believe Wendy's ended up suing them so they changed their name to Judy Judy Judy's I believe, before going out of business. I tried to google them on the net and can't seem to find any information.
euclid
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/09/09 18:07:48 (permalink)
Isleys...pickles in a barrel, ice cream and decent sandwiches. I assume a chain, before chains tasted like cardboard. Little League was the first act before ice cream at Isleys... win, lose or draw. This was the mid 60's when things seemed a lot simpler and we were entitled to our own opinions. A five cent cone was certain to migrate to your uniform. No problemo. Mom had to wash it anyway.
Capybara91
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 240
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/09/17 11:21:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by euclid

Isleys...pickles in a barrel, ice cream and decent sandwiches. I assume a chain, before chains tasted like cardboard. Little League was the first act before ice cream at Isleys... win, lose or draw. This was the mid 60's when things seemed a lot simpler and we were entitled to our own opinions. A five cent cone was certain to migrate to your uniform. No problemo. Mom had to wash it anyway.

Without a doubt, Isalys. I grew up in Youngstown, OH and we'd stop there every Sunday after church for lunch meat and ice cream and Bun candy bars. A good website: http://www.brianbutko.com/isaly.stpics.html
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/09/17 11:33:24 (permalink)
If you went to Monmouth College(University) in the late 60's-70's,you remember a small great local pup off 2nd Ave named Patty Murray's...it reminded me of many a small English pup I've seen...Patty always served court and enjoyed talking to the locals and college kids(drinking age was 18 then)..often a free glass of tap came your way...I remeber theellow music coming out of the juke box playing as nice background music...some soft9very soft) rock ballads,folk music...Roger William's instrumentals etc....I can't imagine that college scene today without that wonderful place!! Does anyone from that time and place remember Patty Murray's in Long Branch, NJ??
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4328
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/12/02 19:24:23 (permalink)
Great places gone but not forgotten in my life:

Troggio's Steak House, New Castle, PA.

Klein's Seafood, 4th. Ave., PGH.

(The original) Duke Ziebart's, ground floor of L @ CT, WDC.

Mel Krupin's, on the old premises of Ernie Young's, WDC (the closed premises were used for a great scene in "Point of No Return").

Whitey's, Arlington, VA.

La Caravelle, NYC.

Bish Thompson's Seafood, Bethesda, MD.

Fred's, Parole, MD (Annapolis).

Top of the Triangle, PGH.

The Palm Court Buffet Brunch at the Plaza when it was a Trump property, NYC.

Windows on the World ...
cavandre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1642
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/12/02 19:57:28 (permalink)
Dobbs Ferry, NY...1970's. There was a little Italian joint named Jimmy's, that has long since closed. Their garlicky baked clams & pasta fazoli are still the benchmarks that I use to judge other places.
tracy20
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2008/12/02 20:52:55 (permalink)
I miss the L.S.Ayres Tearoom here in Indianapolis. They had the best chicken pot pie that actually came to the table shaped like a chicken. This place had so much history here in Indianapolis that they have opened a small tribute to it at our State Musuem. Oh, the memories as a child, waiting on a table and getting to ride the Santa train at X-mas time and the food was incredible.
scheelski
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2009/04/21 00:24:07 (permalink)
I remember Woolworth's where my sister and I would ride the bus to downtown Houston and spend hours looking around.  She always bought me fountain drinks or sodas.  So much fun.

We also had a Walgreens with a grill at the Gulfgate mall in Houston, the first mall outside downtown which opened in 1956.

There they had another restaurant, coffee shop called One's a Meal.  They were a chain back then.  Those are closed but another greek group run a few with the same name still in Houston,  The old one had a great burger plate called the Texas Special, an open faced hamburger with cheese and fries and chili poured all over it.  I loved it.

The other sandwich was a homemade pimentoe cheese on wheat toast with home fries, so good.

Thanks for the remembrances.  Marc
acer2x
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 455
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2010/12/23 08:57:43 (permalink)
Here are some Philly  "Places That Are Gone" Tshirts:

http://www.retrophilly.com/Neat-Philadelphia-Eats-s/29.htm

thiapax
Junior Burger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2012/07/24 16:54:49 (permalink)
Hi, Conrado!  The Wharf restaurant belonged to my Dad and my uncle (Jim and Tom), and the other place they had was actually not "The Plantation", it was called "The Yardarm".  :-)
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2013/09/12 14:49:18 (permalink)
While reading through some old posts (I'm new here) I came across your mention of "Connely's" in Baltimore. I also went there with my parents on a visit to Baltimore in the mid-60's. The place was just as you described it here and the memory has remained all these years. I went there one more time with friends visiting the Inner harbor in the late 80's. I wanted to show them what an "old-style" Baltimore seafood joint was like. Within a year or two, it was gone.

ocdreamr

The Quintessential Baltimore Seafood house "Connely's" I remember going there with my parents. It was built out on a dock in the inner harbor (behind where the power plant & aquarium are today) The tables were covered in oilcloth. The food served was basic but good. Platters of padded fried oysters, crab cakes, softcrabs & rockfish. Whatever was in season(nothing frozen or imported). All served with simple sides of fresh tomatos in summer, cole slaw, fries or potato salad. Unfortunately Connely's had to make way for the project of the habor, it hung on as long as it could though. I think it closed sometime in the late 80's or early 90's

Davebassman
Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2013/09/12 15:16:34 (permalink)
Beer&Snausages 
Mr Foos - Blacksburg, VA

Ah, I see someone who spent some time at Va. Tech.  Mr.Fooze was your basic college beer bar and sandwich shop in Blacksburg, 70's & early 80's. It got it's name from the fooseball tables that were so popular with college-age kids back then. It was the first bar/restaurant I set foot in on my first visit to Blacksburg and became my regular "hang-out'. It was a sub-shop and the subs were pretty darn good (and cheap). It finally went out of business in the early 80's. A Blacksburg Icon, gone, but not forgotten.
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2013/09/12 15:33:58 (permalink)
One more post on this thread..
Back in the late 80's and early 90's my family vacationed in Florida on Captiva Island. There was an old marina on the "sound-side" of Captiva and a "ramshackle" bar/restaurant named: "Timmy's Nook". It had a small bar with 6-8 stools where the boat crews would gather for a drink (or two) after the days charters. The restaurant overlooked the marina, with screens in the large windows and ceiling fans (no AC). Wooden tables with red checkered table cloths.
This place was special to me because it's where I was served the best seafood dinner I ever ate, broiled grouper, stuffed with crab meat. Now, lots of restaurants serve broiled fish stuffed with crab, but that particular meal at that particular time & place created a lasting memory for me.
Sadly, the marina was damaged during a hurricane in (I think) 2002. The owners sold the property to a developer who tore the restaurant down and built a new "modern" restaurant named "The Green Flash". I haven't been back to Captiva since well before Timmy's was demolished, but somehow Captiva just couldn't be the same without Timmy's Nook.
Page: << < ..11121314 > Showing page 13 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1