Hot!Tell Me About Places that are Gone

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 14
Author
Sushi_Girl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/27 15:26:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246
Oh yeah! The L'il Asher was my favorite. I went alot when they were on 13th St. The thing they could have done without though was the "talent". After drinking and dancing you did NOT want to hear that. But I guess that was just part of being "Skeeter's". Did you know the guy that owned that also owned "Cafe' Risque"? Speaking of nasty..

I know they used to have these bands playing in there, or just some guy with an acoustic that was terrible. I went to Cafe Risque once because a friend of mine was working there (hey she put herself through college that way), and i was amused at all the mens antics. mostly it was foreign men.
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/27 15:40:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sushi_Girl

quote:
Oh yeah! The L'il Asher was my favorite. I went alot when they were on 13th St. The thing they could have done without though was the "talent". After drinking and dancing you did NOT want to hear that. But I guess that was just part of being "Skeeter's". Did you know the guy that owned that also owned "Cafe' Risque"? Speaking of nasty..

I know they used to have these bands playing in there, or just some guy with an acoustic that was terrible. I went to Cafe Risque once because a friend of mine was working there (hey she put herself through college that way), and i was amused at all the mens antics. mostly it was foreign men.

And my husband, well before he was my husband. He'd take clients there. How impresive......
I asked him if they actually ate, of course the reply was yes.
St. Louis Browns fan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/27 19:00:37 (permalink)
The Buffalo at Irving Park and Pulaski in Chicago was a circa 1900 ice cream parlor that made the best banana splits and sundaes on earth. The whipped cream was whipped by hand! It was sold and leveled for a gas station.

What does the world need more - a historic, first-rate ice cream parlor or another generic c-store with gas pumps?
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/27 20:39:16 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
Also on my "long gone but not forgotten" list are:
Paschall's LaCarousel on West Hunter Street (M. L. K. now) in Atlanta.
Harry's Steak House on Spring St., N/W near Georgia Tech.
Joe Cotton's Drive-In on Lee St., S/W in West End.
Wingo's Restaurant on Campbellton Rd., S/W.
The Pig & Whistle on Ponce de Leon Ave., N/E.
The Waldorf Steak House nearby.
Doby's Good Food up from that.
Art's Donuts on Moreland Ave., N/E at Boulevard Drive.
Log Cabin Barbecue on Glenwood Road in Decatur.
Dial's Bar-B-Que on Barnett Shoals Road in Athens.
Seagraves' Bar-B-Q on Old Atlanta Highway.
Poss' Barbecue on Atlanta Highway.
Tony's Restaurant on East Clayton Street in dotntown Athens.
The Chase Street Cafe on South Chase Street.
Chandler's Bar-B-Q on Danielsville Road.
Tittle's Cafe in Whitehall "It cost so little to eat with Tittle."
Mrs. Threatt's Cafe in Commerce, Georgia.
...And the list, like the road, goes ever onward....
Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
P. S. God rest Mrs. Bonner! And Ma Groover!
P. P. S. Michael - Is The Indian Trail in Winnetka still there? If it wasn't in Winnetka, it was on that side of Chicago. It was written up in one of your earliest books. I've seen no mention of it since.
ardee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/28 13:05:25 (permalink)
quote:

Frisches's Big Boy. Geez, it's been so long I think I've even spelled the name wrong.

Frisch's Big Boy Restaurants are alive and well, but can only be found in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana. The other Big Boy Restaurants, Elias Bros, Elby's, etc, aren't doing too well since the parent corporation declared bankruptcy a couple of years ago, but there are several of them still around as well.
number71
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/28 16:36:03 (permalink)
Link's Log Cabin, huntington(?) Long Island, NY
Howard Johnson's--all over Long island
The Squire Deli--Great Neck, NY
(The wallpaper was of a forest, floor to ceiling for some reason.)
Gildo's Port Washington Long island
Lorainne Murphy's, Manhasset NY
Good Old times Ice Cream parlour, Roslyn, NY(which also made the ice cream and sold it there!)

There was a sushi resteraunt in Milwaukee Wi near the Oriental Theater which I used to love, but don't rememebr the name(you don't see many decent sushi places in Milwaukee!)

I'm sure more will come to me~!
10X10
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/28 16:40:55 (permalink)
Gosh, I remember Squire's we would eat lunch there everyday back in the late 80's. I worked right across the street from the Firehouse. I think it was called Bayview Ave
quote:
Originally posted by number71

Link's Log Cabin, huntington(?) Long Island, NY
Howard Johnson's--all over Long island
The Squire Deli--Great Neck, NY
(The wallpaper was of a forest, floor to ceiling for some reason.)
Gildo's Port Washington Long island
Lorainne Murphy's, Manhasset NY
Good Old times Ice Cream parlour, Roslyn, NY(which also made the ice cream and sold it there!)

There was a sushi resteraunt in Milwaukee Wi near the Oriental Theater which I used to love, but don't rememebr the name(you don't see many decent sushi places in Milwaukee!)

I'm sure more will come to me~!

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/28 17:27:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ardee

quote:

Frisches's Big Boy. Geez, it's been so long I think I've even spelled the name wrong.

Frisch's Big Boy Restaurants are alive and well, but can only be found in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana. The other Big Boy Restaurants, Elias Bros, Elby's, etc, aren't doing too well since the parent corporation declared bankruptcy a couple of years ago, but there are several of them still around as well.

Dearfolk,
Here in Georgia, Shoney's holds the Big Boy franchise. They have it for Tennessee as well; I'm not sure of how many other states.
Wasn't Manners' Big Boy the holder in Illinois? I remember seeing that chain as a kid on a trip somewhere.
A Big Boy Myself, Ort. Carlton in Bigger Athens, GA.
RedPatti
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/28 17:47:15 (permalink)
Tootsies in Tarzana, California. The most fabulous juicy burgers and worldclass beer.
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/28 17:52:58 (permalink)
Has anyone mentioned Big Boy? They closed the Abdow's Big Boy in Westfield, MA. It was pretty good. The Slob's Pig Boys in Virginia were not.
Frankman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 300
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/28 18:41:31 (permalink)
The Old Heidelburg(sp) Castle in Sarasota Fl. A huge place with extra long tables on the floor. An upper balcony of tables along the entire perimeter of the room. And a third level above the second. A floor show every weekend. Boy, what a party! What food! What beer! What dancing!
Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/28 18:48:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

P. S. God rest Mrs. Bonner! And Ma Groover!
P. P. S. Michael - Is The Indian Trail in Winnetka still there? If it wasn't in Winnetka, it was on that side of Chicago. It was written up in one of your earliest books. I've seen no mention of it since.

Amen, and sorry to say that the Indian Trail is long gone. It was one of the last great Midwest tea rooms.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/28 19:14:24 (permalink)
In Knoxville, TN we had a place which was an institution called "Regas" Two years they closed down due to the downtown area. They were famous for their menu, endurance since they had been around for close 100 years, ambience, quality and a perfect place to dine. Some of you may be aware of their existence as Dave Thomas of Wendy's got his start there. At their height, they were doing close to 6 mil a year and at their closing, they were close to 3 mil. They re-opened a few months after closing and are trying to recapture their original ambience. From what I gather, they may be doing that.

It makes you wonder. Does any of the readers remember the "Regas"

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m3190/14_35/72986852/p1/article.jhtml

Thanks
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 862
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/28 20:25:09 (permalink)
In my Kansas childhood, *the* place to eat in Junction City was Cohen's Chicken House (what could top really good fried chicken?) Nice rustic place with photos of celebrities (or the local equivalent) who ate there. I was thoroughly bummed to go through town 10 years ago and be told by a motel clerk the place had burned down - moreso seeing the thread here on the (lack of) good places in Kansas. 20 years ago my brother went through on a road trip and couldn't get his friend to stop there, who instead was drawn to some nasty 'big-top' themed chain place like a crow to a shiny piece of tinfoil.

Closer to here and now, I'm sorry Deacon Burton's is gone - after the Deacon left us they spruced the place up, which was a bad move, then family squabbles did it in.

I'm also bummed I never got to the Edistonian, on SC Highway 17 just south of the island of same name. From what I heard, a great place for fried seafood.
Edwaste
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/28 23:10:51 (permalink)
Duckey's - Asbury Park, On the boardwalk.

Best dogs ever! Shickhaus natural casing grilled til they popped.

Forever gone.
ardee
Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/29 10:03:28 (permalink)
MORE BIG BOY HISTORY THAN YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW

California chain Bob's Big Boy started as Bob's Pantry in 1936 when Big Boy founder Bob Wian bought a local Glendale restaurant. Wian developed a signature double-decker hamburger (the Big Boy) and a Big Boy statue with wavy hair that eventually became an icon to many restaurant goers. Wian turned to franchising sometime in or the 1940s, and unlike chains like McDonald's, Wian did not require strict uniformity among franchisees. Outside of California, Big Boy restaurants could go by their franchise owner's name, as some restaurants were called everything from Kip's Big Boy to Azar's Big Boy to Frisch's Big Boy. There were also franchises such as Tops Drive In that did not even use the Big Boy name, but did serve the Big Boy sandwich and used the image of Big Boy for advertising.

Eventually, the Marriott company bought the franchise business in 1967; and, in the late 1980s, many restaurants in Southern California were sold off and became Coco's or Carrows. Marriott sold Big Boy to the Elias brothers from Michigan in 1987, who then sold the bankrupt chain in 2000 to Robert Ligget. The chain, now based in Michigan and called Big Boy Restaurants International, has 160 restaurants, and according to CEO Tony Michaels, has developed a new store-design that will spearhead a re-introduction foray into Southern California.

In 1946 Dave Frisch of Cincinnatti, Ohio purchased Big Boy franchise rights from Bob Wian of Glendale, California, the originator of the Big Boy double decker sandwich and the Big Boy chain of restaurants. Dave did make one change to the sandwich - he used tartar sauce instead of thousand island dressing on the sandwich. This difference between the Frisch's Big Boy sandwich and all the other Big Boy sandwiches continues to this day. Frisch opened other Big Boys in northern Kentucky and southeastern Indiana, then began selling franchises for Frisch's Big Boy, which his agreement with Mr Wian allowed. There are over 100 Frisch's Big Boy restaurants now covering much of Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana, and they no longer have any connection to Big Boy Restaurants International.

In 1951 Alex Schoenbaum purchased Big Boy franchise rights for the southeastern states, which meant that not only could he open his own Big Boy restaurants, he could sell franchises to others in the southeast, and so the Shoney's Big Boys expanded. In 1986 he dropped Big Boy, becoming instead just Shoney's Restaurants. He also began expanding outside the southeast. There are now over 300 Shoney's Restaurants, which have no connection with Big Boy.

In 1952, brothers Louis, Fred and John became franchisees and changed their diners to Elias Brothers Big Boy Restaurants -- featuring the double-decker hamburger, the Slim Jim, and the immortal chubby kid with a curl in his hair. They later (1987) purchased the base franchise rights from Marriott and during the period in which they owned these rights, bought out the Elby’s Big Boy restaurants in West Virginia, eastern Ohio, and western Pennslyvania.

There were several franchise owners who put their name on the Big Boy Restaurants they operated. Already mentioned are Kip’s, Azar’s, Frisch’s, Shoney’s, Elias Brothers, and Elby’s – others are Abdow’s, Franklin’s, JB’s, Lendy’s, Manner’s, Marc’s, and VIP’s. I very much doubt that this list is complete.
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/29 10:26:27 (permalink)
Anyone out there remember theKapok Tree Inns in Florida? It seemed like everyone that ever went to Florida on a vacation just had to go there to eat! The food was ok but it was the decor that was much more impressive; also the line of people waiting to get in!
ardee
Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/29 20:08:54 (permalink)
hungovergourmet,

You might also want to check the Roadfood.com thread titled "Long Gone Regional Chains" at http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=479 for more information about chains that are no longer around. There are 12 pages of posts in that thread.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/29 20:33:16 (permalink)
This is a place on old Route 66 that was one of my favorite hamburger joints when I was in high school/college. Long gone, but still remembered in Springfield, MO, as one of the "monuments".

http://www.birthplaceofroute66.com/bk1story.html
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/30 16:33:41 (permalink)
The Quintessential Baltimore Seafood house "Connely's" I remember going there with my parents. It was built out on a dock in the inner harbor (behind where the power plant & aquarium are today) The tables were covered in oilcloth. The food served was basic but good. Platters of padded fried oysters, crab cakes, softcrabs & rockfish. Whatever was in season(nothing frozen or imported). All served with simple sides of fresh tomatos in summer, cole slaw, fries or potato salad. Unfortunately Connely's had to make way for the project of the habor, it hung on as long as it could though. I think it closed sometime in the late 80's or early 90's
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/30 16:41:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

Not that this matters, but but Tony Michaels, the CEO of Big Boy, is a friend of a friend. he's a really nice guy, and is driven, I mean driven, to have Big Boy make a huge comeback.

'Greasy Spoon' -- a MO-based food newsletter -- did a write-up in their Winter 03 issue about the new Big Boys prototype in Grand Rapids. Here's a quote from a roving correspondent who visited the location: "It was great. It presents well both day & night and is a bright spot right at the end of an exit ramp in downtown. I stopped by three different times of the day and each time there was a wait for seating."
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/30 16:43:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ardee

hungovergourmet,

You might also want to check the Roadfood.com thread titled "Long Gone Regional Chains" at http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=479 for more information about chains that are no longer around. There are 12 pages of posts in that thread.

Will do Ardee! Why do I think I might have to double the page count of this issue thanks to all of this amazing feedback?!
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/30 16:47:08 (permalink)
It wasn't quite road food (since none of us had cars at the time) but when I was in college in Philadelphia, there was this place called 'Troys' that we'd always go to. They served the best "eggels" which were egg sandwiches with your choice of meat on a toasted bagel.

They also had refrigerated case after refrigerated case of beer and you could grab a pint or two, order and eggel and have a seat to watch the black and white TV that got horrible reception or listen to the boombox that somebody would inevitably tune in to the college radio station where we worked.
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/31 13:48:41 (permalink)
Hey SAPS, do you remember King Arthurs Pub which I think was also on Wells? Had the greatest bar where you could get a "yard" of beer (or a half or quater yard) and then stick around for a great steak dinner (after work). If I remember right they even had a limo that would come and pick you up (in the loop area only).

Also, the "Top of the Rock" in the Prudential building by Grant Park. Had the greatest Chateau Briand in the world and a view to go along with it. Used to have dinner there and then head to the Playboy Club for some good Jazz and a couple drinks. Regarding the Playboy Club (which is also gone) if it was a guys night out on a Saturday we would hang around till 5AM when they served pizza for breakfast and you could actually dance with the bunnies!

Ahhh, those were the days. (Back in the 60's)

Don
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/31 14:00:23 (permalink)
CLOTHIER - When I lived in Fenton MI we used to go to a great gourmet restaurant in the Holly Hotel. Is that still there? Also had quite a few good dinners in the Fenton Hotel (I think that is still there as I stopped in for a few "Pops" a couple years ago when I was there on business. The Fenton Hotel was a lively place at the bar on Friday nights where you always met up with the "locals".

Don
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18362
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/31 15:40:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

Anyone out there remember the Kapok Tree Inns in Florida? It seemed like everyone that ever went to Florida on a vacation just had to go there to eat! The food was ok but it was the decor that was much more impressive; also the line of people waiting to get in!

My wife and I went to the Kapok tree near Clearwater once. When we got into the parking lot we saw all these old folks going in and coming out, dressed to the nines. In fact, it looked like a sea of blue from the hair on the women. We didn't stay.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3300
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/31 15:57:13 (permalink)
In Chicago: The Ranch on Devon, Henry's Drive-In, Sam & Hy's Deli, Joe Stein's Steak House, Buffalo's Ice Cream, Thompson's, and Hot Dog Island.
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/31 16:25:17 (permalink)
Chicagostyledog, I remember both Henry's and Buffalo's. There was a Henry's Drive in next to a quickly growing chain, can't remember the name but they had "golden arches", on Cicero Avenue just South of Montrose. I think the Golden Arch joint stated "Over ten thousand Sold" back then.

Don
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/01/31 18:21:30 (permalink)
Another one: Chicaqo South Side, the Beverly House, great dinners and nice bar. 103rd and Vincennes. Would go there for lunches with my boss from Beverly Bank and plow down a few Martini's.

The "Arc" out on Milwaukee Avenue (way out) that had great fried chicken.

Recent: "Juicy Lucy's" Hamburgers. RT43 towards Milwaukee at RT50. Burgers were "OK" but used to buy coffee mugs with their name on it for conversation pieces.

Phoenix: Giovanni's Pizza Cottage on Indian School Road, Rocky's Hideaway (converted house and fantastic steaks). Classy! The Luau on Indian School, Keyboard Lounge on Camelback.

Great topic. Brings back a lot of memories for all of us I'm sure!

Don

Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/01 10:37:05 (permalink)
And yet another: Ciro's Pizza in Russell, MA. I wouldn't eat eggplant parmigian until my mother gave me a taste of theirs. Cool restaurant in a gorgeous setting, sadly gone with the wind.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1