Tell Me About Places that are Gone

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 14
Author
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3308
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/01 10:47:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oldfrt

Chicagostyledog, I remember both Henry's and Buffalo's. There was a Henry's Drive in next to a quickly growing chain, can't remember the name but they had "golden arches", on Cicero Avenue just South of Montrose. I think the Golden Arch joint stated "Over ten thousand Sold" back then.

Don

My first job was at Henry's in Lincolnwood at age 15. For lunch, I'd take 3 hamburger pattys and mix them into one with 3 pieces of cheese. On hot summer days, I'd eat in the walk in cooler, since there was no a/c in the place. I always wondered about those 1st McDonald's signs about 10,000 burgers being sold. How many were really eaten?
Biscuit
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/01 12:46:32 (permalink)
Ort.,

The place I missed most when I lived in Atlanta was Harrison's on Peachtree Street It was just north of Piedmont Hospital, in "Midhead".

It wasn't a real roadfoad type place, a little too upscale for that, but then again, I never ate there-only went for the amazing clientele one would meet at the bar while bending an elbow. The place was dark and wood paneled with bartenders who would remember you, and what you drank, after one visit. It had a real mens-club kind of feel.
Lewis Grizzard, the columnist for the Atlanta Journal who passed away, would often be holding court down at the end of the bar along with any number of other journalist's, writers, businessmen and other miscreants such as myself.

I met some wonderful, interesting people there in the mid '80's. Southern hospitality ruled the place. I remember striking up a conversation with a young couple, who had come in for dinner, and after talking to them for ten minutes, them inviting me to join them at their table for dinner.

Harrison's was bought out in the late '80's or early '90's by some chain restaurant, which turned it into one their cookie-cutter places.

I miss it still....

B
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/02 17:22:47 (permalink)
Another one: The Sheraton Inn in Westfield, MA. It was a nice Fifties style Sunday dinner kind of place. I heard it went downhill in recent years, then it was leveled by Westfield State College.

Sad!
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/02 18:06:01 (permalink)
The Toll House in Whitman, MA, where chocolate chip cookies originated. It burned down some years ago.
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/02 18:07:26 (permalink)
I bet that fire didn't smell too bad!
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/02 19:23:03 (permalink)
I'll bet that batch turned out crisp!" />
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/03 03:48:05 (permalink)
And a tablespoon of bakng powder to make the whole thing rise.
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/03 08:36:07 (permalink)
LOL, you guys are just too much! Loved your comments about the Toll House fire. Wish I were as clever with a comeback.
efuery
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/03 09:06:57 (permalink)
I miss Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips chain. I used to love that place when I was very little. I can;t remember if the food was really that good or if it is a nostalgia thing but I sure would like to have it one more time to find out.

Growing up in Norwich CT there also used to be a place called Lum's (it was right next door to Arthur Treachers) that specialized in beer steamed hotdogs. It's long gone.
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/03 09:35:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by efuery

I miss Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips chain. I used to love that place when I was very little. I can;t remember if the food was really that good or if it is a nostalgia thing but I sure would like to have it one more time to find out.

Growing up in Norwich CT there also used to be a place called Lum's (it was right next door to Arthur Treachers) that specialized in beer steamed hotdogs. It's long gone.

EFUERY: I think Arthur Treacher's is still in business, but doesn't have that many locations anymore. Anybody have an Arthur Treacher's in their area?
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/03 11:31:52 (permalink)
O'Mealey's Cafeteria in Oklahoma City at 23rd and Classen Blvd, I believe. As a child, we would go there on Sunday after church. The line would snake around the corner in the 1950's with everyone in the Sunday finest. I always ordered their chicken pie. It was fantastic comfort food for a child.

Also, Blue Ribbon in Farmington, New Mexico - operated by the Sullivans for at least twenty years, maybe thirty - from the 1930s to the 1950s. Their cinnamon roll was fresh and warm and all four corners would hang over the edge of the saucer with warm icing dripping everywhere. In the early 1950s a cinnamon rolls cost ten cents - a bargain even then.
Nictimo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/03 12:21:50 (permalink)
Help me out here New Jerseyans. I remember as a kid, my mom being from Newark, of a wonderful place near Weequahic Park. It was a long building with the pull up sides so you could be served all around. It had the greatest hot dogs and root beer. Not a Stewarts. It was painted green and you sat at stools around the perimeter. Another place like this was located in Woodbridge on Rt 27. Same setup. Hot dogs, sausage,etc. My mom used to work at RCA in Woodbridge and it was treat to met her there for lunch. Anyone remember? Also, anyone remember the "Little White House" in Middlesex -- first drive I can remember.

Is the Sausage and Peppers Place -- we called it an "Atmosphere machine" caused IT WAS THE SMELL OF THE BEACH located in the center of the Seaside Boardwalk?

Thanks. Missing it in Maryland.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18634
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/03 13:42:55 (permalink)
There are still a couple of Arthur Treacher's places in the Columbus, Ohio area.
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/04 02:19:43 (permalink)
quote:
EFUERY: I think Arthur Treacher's is still in business, but doesn't have that many locations anymore. Anybody have an Arthur Treacher's in their area?

I know Arthur Treacher's still operates on N. Memorial Drive (US 33) in Lancaster, Ohio. I know I saw another one in the Buckeye State, possibly Columbus (Reynoldsburg area east of town). Check out http://www.arthurtreachers.com for details. (This site under Locations also lists the Pudgie's Chicken locations in its results.)

There are more in Ohio than I previously thought!!!
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/09 17:22:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by efuery

There's one off Rt.50 in Fairfax, VA. Kinda seedy looking, though.
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 303
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/09 18:23:00 (permalink)
There used to be a great Pizza/Italian restaurant in North Miami called Steve's Pizza. Besides the great pizza and spaghetti this place gave a bowl of garlic rolls swimming in garlic juice along with lunches.

They have been gone for five years and I miss them.
SuperSec
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/09 19:05:37 (permalink)
KAPOK TREE INN
There are now homes there and all around there! So sad. It was a great place to go for the evening.
mailto: superseccdd@aol.com
SuperSec
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/09 19:10:49 (permalink)
St. Louis, MO
Hamburger Heaven for burgers, barbecue sauce on the fries and corndogs. Jack and Jill for burgers, cherry cokes, chocolate cokes and ice cream shakes and hot fudge sundaes.
Cyrano's for decadent, huge ice cream sundae creations. Oh my G-d!
Via's for pizza-thin crust; is there any other kind?
Ed's White Front for BBQ and thin, grassy style vinegar slaw.
Golden Fried Chicken for the best fried chicken, slaw and pies.
But...Steak & Shake is still there and in other states too!
I'm getting hungry...bye!
essvee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/09 20:27:00 (permalink)
Hey 10x10, my Uncle John delivered for Maple Shade Dairy until they closed. When I was a kid, they served the biggest cones for 35 cents, the biggest single scoop you've ever seen. My dad the cheapskate would grumble because the cones cost so much (?!) but he knew that he was getting twice as much ice cream than anywhere else. Black raspberry (do they even make that any more?), butter brickle (ditto), peppermint stick, chocolate chip...

And in further news, there is an Arthur Treacher's in Tracy, CA, on the way to Yosemite. It makes me laugh to see it.
spud
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 273
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/10 20:32:04 (permalink)
growing up in miami many years ago, my favorite was a place called Royal Castle. they were postage stamp sized places with a grease filled grill and the cook always looked like he had just been paroled that day from prison but my oh my were those little greasy burgers heavenly!

frosted mug of birch beer and I was a happy happy kid!

sadly they tried a big expansion in early 60's and tried to build on dining rooms and lost all their appeal.

I can still smell and taste em today....sigh
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/10 21:20:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

There are still a couple of Arthur Treacher's places in the Columbus, Ohio area.

And, the last I knew, there is still one in downtown Manhattan, near Wall Street and across from the former WTC. I THINK it survived.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7015
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/11 01:14:14 (permalink)
clothier, um, Juicyfruit?

Did you know my knickname was Nurse Wratchett? "MEDICATION TIME!!"" />

Given to me lovingly and affectionately by all the cooks that I bandaged up over the years.
Sushi_Girl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/11 09:02:52 (permalink)
who is nurse wratchett?
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1165
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/11 21:20:57 (permalink)
Anybody remember the Toddle House in Philly? I think it was on Broad Street. My grandfather used to go get coffee there when I was little! Once my brother took me there for a hamburger and I bumped into the coatrack and said, "Excuse me" to it. I could not have been any older than 6 or so, and I still remember this stupidity clearly.

Anyway it was a coffee shop and I don't remember too much more about it. Might or might not have been a mini-chain in Philly.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/11 23:05:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by shaynas_mom

Anybody remember the Toddle House in Philly? I think it was on Broad Street. My grandfather used to go get coffee there when I was little! Once my brother took me there for a hamburger and I bumped into the coatrack and said, "Excuse me" to it. I could not have been any older than 6 or so, and I still remember this stupidity clearly.

Anyway it was a coffee shop and I don't remember too much more about it. Might or might not have been a mini-chain in Philly.

Mom,
There was at least one of those in Atlanta as well. The one there that I remember was on Ponce de Leon Avenue, N/E at the corner of Ponce de Leon Place; it sat just under the railroad underpass from Sears' big store on the other side of the street.
After stints as a tire store and a guard dog training school, the place is something else now... I don't remember what. But the building is still there, its outside relatively unchanged, save repainting, from when I was five or six and we went there after shopping late one night.
Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/12 01:11:27 (permalink)
For many years there was a Toddle House smack in the middle of the Chevy Chase business district, near U.K. Late at night, when the bars were slowing down and closing, it was a pretty entertaining place to be. The bar crowd was usually a mirthful lot, bent on continuing their fun, and their conviviality was infectious. I was, of course, a beacon of probity at all times.
acer2x
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 448
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/12 05:42:51 (permalink)
In Philadelphia area:
Polar Cub, a frozen custard emporium with a charcoal grill serving great hot dogs and burgers, at Cottman&Large in NE. Does anyone have a pic?
Tyson Grill, a basic place with a counter and tables for anything from cheesesteaks to waffles& ice cream, at Tyson & Bustleton in NE. A teenage hangout in the 60s.
Hot Shoppes, in East Oak Lane, Abington & Roosevelt Blvd. Remember the " Mighty Macs?" Drive-in service. Another teenage hangout in the 60s.
Re: Toddle House. There were other locations. I remember one on North Broad in Logan.
Frankie Bradley's, a steak house downtown, famous for garlic rib steak served on a plank and the complimentary pickles and peppers.
The hot dog counter at Woolworth's on Kensington Ave with the giant Richardson's Root Beer barrel.
Kornblau's Deli in Atlantic City, famous for corned beef.
Lou's in Ventnor, famous for hot roast beef sandwich with great french fries. Also, great deli stuff.
Leemart
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/13 02:56:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by spud

growing up in miami many years ago, my favorite was a place called Royal Castle. they were postage stamp sized places with a grease filled grill and the cook always looked like he had just been paroled that day from prison but my oh my were those little greasy burgers heavenly!

frosted mug of birch beer and I was a happy happy kid!

sadly they tried a big expansion in early 60's and tried to build on dining rooms and lost all their appeal.

I can still smell and taste em today....sigh

Supposedly there is still a Royal Castle operating in Miami at NW 7th Avenue and 125th Street.
Nictimo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/13 07:19:57 (permalink)
Anyone remember FREDA's Italian Restaurant in Asbury Park, NJ? Drove past it last year. Closed, windows all busted up. Neighborhood a nightmare.
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/13 20:44:32 (permalink)
All,

Used to live in Annapolis and went to a restaurant on Route 50 I think, called the Chesapeak Inn. (Sp?). Had the greatest Crab Bisque (Cream of Crab soup) in the world with a side of Shrimp covered with Old Bay. Is it still there?

Don
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1