Hot!Tell Me About Places that are Gone

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 14
Author
Billfish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 397
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/14 02:20:27 (permalink)
Busch's Chesapeake Inn on Rt 50 is some kind of dinner theater now I think.I ate there once and it was a good example of the kind of restaurants one finds in the South Central Maryland area.Not being a big crab fan,I had swordfish,I think this was the year before the restaurants stopped serving swordfish because the stock was being overfished.I seem to recall that temporary "boycott" was called off a year or so later,but I rarely see swordfish on the menu in the area.Now I also recall that for one or two years the restaurants were proscribed from selling "rockfish" (which I had always known as "striped bass").But rockfish is back in a big way now.A guy at work gave me a couple he caught last fall and they were excellent.I dont claim to be a big fish aficionado,the latest hot item is something they call "Tog",supposedly excellent fish but I have never seen nor tasted one.I understand they hang out and are caught in and around the hulls of wrecked boats and the defunct subway trains that the government puts in the water to create an artificial reef.Who woulda thunk it.

pennypincher
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/14 10:20:11 (permalink)
Al Deppe's donuts on Staten Island. Wow, they were delicious.

The place was closed to make way for a new expressway back in the 1960's.
pennypincher
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/14 10:24:19 (permalink)
Links about Al Deppe's

http://www.si-web.com/forums/nostrivia/772.html
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/1962/siw-1.html
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/14 10:47:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by shaynas_mom

Anybody remember the Toddle House in Philly? I think it was on Broad Street. My grandfather used to go get coffee there when I was little! Once my brother took me there for a hamburger and I bumped into the coatrack and said, "Excuse me" to it. I could not have been any older than 6 or so, and I still remember this stupidity clearly.

Anyway it was a coffee shop and I don't remember too much more about it. Might or might not have been a mini-chain in Philly.

Toddle House was a chain out of Nashville, originally. It was called Hull Dobbs for years before it was bought and the name changed. I always loved Toddle House restaurants. They even had good steaks, and their home fries were great, especially if you ordered them with onions.

I even worked in a Toddle House in Austin, Texas while going to school. I needed a job and when they asked me if I had any experience as a short-order cook I lied and said yes. They put me to work on the grill that day at lunch, and somehow I actually survived the shift. That job was where I first learned the meaning of weeds. I ended up working there for almost a year.
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/14 10:53:42 (permalink)
Does anyone remember Bonanza and York Steak House? They were probably terrible, but in retrospect my family always enjoyed eating there. We had a Bonanza in Clarksville, TN and there was a York Steak House in the old Manassas, VA mall (which will soon be on deadmalls.com).

I think both chains have gone kaplotzo.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/14 11:08:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Route 11

Does anyone remember Bonanza and York Steak House? They were probably terrible, but in retrospect my family always enjoyed eating there. We had a Bonanza in Clarksville, TN and there was a York Steak House in the old Manassas, VA mall (which will soon be on deadmalls.com).

I think both chains have gone kaplotzo.

There's still a York Steak House on the far west side of Columbus. And I saw a Bonanza off Interstate-80 in Western Pennsylvania last year.
Billfish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 397
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/14 11:38:07 (permalink)
Bonanza is still around,there are 3 of them within 20 miles of me in Delaware.They are like a Golden Corral now,where they have a big buffet and you can order steak to go with it.Its the same company that owns Ponderosa.

I smile at the memory of the York Steak House.They charged you a penny or 2 for each piece of butter.The grill area was open and they called out instructions to the cooks in what might have been french.It was a hoot,and the steaks were reasonable and pretty good.
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/14 12:08:24 (permalink)
I'd forgotten all about Bonanza and Ponderosa. We had a Ponderosa near us in NJ and I hated the metal plates/trays that they served the steaks on. It used to make my blood run cold when I would cut the meat!
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/14 12:38:14 (permalink)
What turned me off many years ago with Ponderosa was one time I went there for lunch and saw the raw steaks sitting in a pan of PURPLE liquid. I would assume it was some kind of tenderizer and if you ordered your steak rare as I always did, the meat inside was still purple.

Don
essvee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/14 12:52:15 (permalink)
Oooh oooh! I just remembered one-- Valle's, a chain steak house thingee. I remember a few in New England. My great-grandparents, in Kittery, Maine, considered Valle's to be the epitome of swank, and all special occasions convocated there. It was in a mall next to a Two Guys department store, remember those?

I do not know, however, if Valle's is still around or not.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/14 13:36:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by essvee

Oooh oooh! I just remembered one-- Valle's, a chain steak house thingee. I remember a few in New England. My great-grandparents, in Kittery, Maine, considered Valle's to be the epitome of swank, and all special occasions convocated there. It was in a mall next to a Two Guys department store, remember those?

My mother and father used to go to a Valle's in West Haven, Connecticut.
essvee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/15 00:25:39 (permalink)
Did they go to Maple Shade in Guilford for ice cream, Michael?
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/15 01:21:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Anybody remember the Toddle House in Philly? I think it was on Broad Street. My grandfather used to go get coffee there when I was little! Once my brother took me there for a hamburger and I bumped into the coatrack and said, "Excuse me" to it. I could not have been any older than 6 or so, and I still remember this stupidity clearly.

Anyway it was a coffee shop and I don't remember too much more about it. Might or might not have been a mini-chain in Philly.

Toddle House was a chain out of Nashville, originally. It was called Hull Dobbs for years before it was bought and the name changed. I always loved Toddle House restaurants. They even had good steaks, and their home fries were great, especially if you ordered them with onions.

I even worked in a Toddle House in Austin, Texas while going to school. I needed a job and when they asked me if I had any experience as a short-order cook I lied and said yes. They put me to work on the grill that day at lunch, and somehow I actually survived the shift. That job was where I first learned the meaning of weeds. I ended up working there for almost a year.

This brings back some memories:

http://pages.tias.com/60/PictPage/1921707937.html

I remember the Toddle Houses in Austin in the 60s and here in Houston when I moved here permanently in 70. Some locations in Houston were known as Dobbs Houses (one of the founders of the chain was named Dobbs) and later as Steak and Egg Kitchens.

There was one operating in Stafford, TX, as recently as 5 or 6 years ago and two new ones that I knew of built in Houston in the last 10 or 11 years. I couldn't believe it when I saw that distinctive cottage building with the green roof going up. Neither of the new ones lasted more than a year or so as Toddle Houses.

Food service at UT was intolerable, as were the student hang-outs that I knew of or could afford. I lived on vienna sausage, deviled ham, saltines, canned soup warmed up on a hot plate (remember those?) and the like but treated myself to Toddle House once or twice a week: MasterBurgers with hash browns, pecan waffles, hockey puck sized and shaped sirloins or bacon wrapped filets until I could afford to eat regularly at Nighthawk. I thought it was pretty good food. I don't think I remember the home fries.

I got to know the short-order cooks and would choose between the location on 19th street or 29th near UT based on who was on duty, checking out the crew through the plate glass windows before I even got out of my car. The older cooks were more liberal with the oil when frying the hash browns and put more pecans on the waffles, etc. I'm thinking the older guy was named Charley; can't remember the woman's name. Which one did you work at Michael?
riceboy1701e
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/15 01:47:01 (permalink)
Hi folks! New Roadfood subsciber here! Steven Gordon is my real name, hailing from San Antonio, Texas!

We used to have a burger joint downtown called Little Hipps, right across the street from the campus of San Antonio College. They served these HUGE burgers, and prepared them any way you wanted them! And a treat called shypoke eggs, which were round corn torilla chips with a round slice of cheddar cheese and a smaller round slice of monterey jack on top of that. When they were baked, they lookd just like an egg! Served with jalapeno peppers, they were great! They closed last year, right after I moved here from Alabama.

I hope to post more, and hope to meet some of you in this forum! Great things to talk about! I do a bit of travelling myself as a DJ for a national Star Trek fan club.

Thank you for allowing me to post!

Steve Gordon
"riceboy"
If you'd like to hear about why I got that name, just ask! I'd love to tell you!
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/15 03:29:39 (permalink)
Hi riceboy and welcome to Roadfood.

Good news for you - Little Hipps has been reincarnated as Timbo's on 281, north of San Antonio in Spring Branch Texas (just north of the intersection with 306). These are long time employees of Little Hipps who have lovingly recreated the original. Great burgers for sure, and Shypoke Eggs are on the menu.

Enjoy!
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 210
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/15 10:56:45 (permalink)
quote:
I loved Arthur Treacher's. And there was a knock off around here in MI that featured a penguin as it's symbol. Can't come up with the name, though. Damn electric shock treatments are messing with my memeory.

Clothier - that chain was called Hungry Penguin. I grew up in the Detroit area and vaguely remember them as a competitor to Arthur Treachers. I remember the Arhtur Treachers on Vernier Road outside of Eastland Mall.

Here's one for you - ever hear of a place called Vernier's, up near Mt. Clemens (Fair Haven?). I remember them over 30 years ago having the most incredible big burgers and fries....maybe it was just because I was a youngster, but they sure seemed special....

I haven't spent any time in the Detroit area in many years, so I have no idea if Verniers still exists.
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1154
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/15 15:55:08 (permalink)
quote:

I worked at a Valle's in Northeast Philly for a total of one week in the early-mid 70s. What a bad memory. I quit in a huff. They were so mean there! I do remember eating there with my parents prior to that and I liked it.

And speaking of old department stores in proximity, this one wasn't far from E. J. Korvette's! Anyone remember that place?
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/15 16:04:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by acer2x

In Philadelphia area:
Polar Cub, a frozen custard emporium with a charcoal grill serving great hot dogs and burgers, at Cottman&Large in NE. Does anyone have a pic?
Tyson Grill, a basic place with a counter and tables for anything from cheesesteaks to waffles& ice cream, at Tyson & Bustleton in NE. A teenage hangout in the 60s.
Hot Shoppes, in East Oak Lane, Abington & Roosevelt Blvd. Remember the " Mighty Macs?" Drive-in service. Another teenage hangout in the 60s.
Re: Toddle House. There were other locations. I remember one on North Broad in Logan.
Frankie Bradley's, a steak house downtown, famous for garlic rib steak served on a plank and the complimentary pickles and peppers.
The hot dog counter at Woolworth's on Kensington Ave with the giant Richardson's Root Beer barrel.
Kornblau's Deli in Atlantic City, famous for corned beef.
Lou's in Ventnor, famous for hot roast beef sandwich with great french fries. Also, great deli stuff.

Amen to all the places you mentioned. The one on North Broad Street in Logan was definitely the one I went to, because my grandparents lived in Logan till they moved to A.C. A close friend of my brother's took over Lou's in the 70s, but sold it, or it closed down...I don't remember, but he did go on to bigger and better things.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/15 16:06:22 (permalink)
quote:

Did they go to Maple Shade in Guilford for ice cream, Michael?

Not that I know of.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/15 16:12:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hermitt4d

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

This brings back some memories:

http://pages.tias.com/60/PictPage/1921707937.html

I remember the Toddle Houses in Austin in the 60s and here in Houston when I moved here permanently in 70. Some locations in Houston were known as Dobbs Houses (one of the founders of the chain was named Dobbs) and later as Steak and Egg Kitchens.

There was one operating in Stafford, TX, as recently as 5 or 6 years ago and two new ones that I knew of built in Houston in the last 10 or 11 years. I couldn't believe it when I saw that distinctive cottage building with the green roof going up. Neither of the new ones lasted more than a year or so as Toddle Houses.

Food service at UT was intolerable, as were the student hang-outs that I knew of or could afford. I lived on vienna sausage, deviled ham, saltines, canned soup warmed up on a hot plate (remember those?) and the like but treated myself to Toddle House once or twice a week: MasterBurgers with hash browns, pecan waffles, hockey puck sized and shaped sirloins or bacon wrapped filets until I could afford to eat regularly at Nighthawk. I thought it was pretty good food. I don't think I remember the home fries.

I got to know the short-order cooks and would choose between the location on 19th street or 29th near UT based on who was on duty, checking out the crew through the plate glass windows before I even got out of my car. The older cooks were more liberal with the oil when frying the hash browns and put more pecans on the waffles, etc. I'm thinking the older guy was named Charley; can't remember the woman's name. Which one did you work at Michael?

I can't remember the street, but it was the cross street where Guadalupe ended on the south. It right near the Nighthawk, which was on Guadalupe.
riceboy1701e
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/15 16:41:07 (permalink)
Thanks hermitt4d! I'll have to go try that sometime!

Glad to be here!

Steve Gordin
"riceboy"
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/16 12:14:24 (permalink)
quote:

We had a VAllee's in Springfield, MA. I never knew it was a chain. It was great, a real burgandy and wood steakhouse. I believe it went out of biz in the early 90's.
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/17 07:54:09 (permalink)
Toddle House - I had forgotten all about them. My mother was one of their greatest fans. If she saw one, that was where we had to have breakfast - except for the one in Albuquerque. The Albuquerque location was not up to her view of Toddle House standards. Most cities we visited in the southwest and plains states had one, as I recall.
Kristi S.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/24 12:16:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

"wolfie's delicatessen" South Beach Miami and Merrick NY (no affiliation)

We too, had a Wolfie's in St. Petersburg, dating to the 50s, complete with cheesecake and grumpy waiters. Long since razed, on its former site now stands a brand-new YMCA.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/24 12:25:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oldfrt

Chicagostyledog, I remember both Henry's and Buffalo's. There was a Henry's Drive in next to a quickly growing chain, can't remember the name but they had "golden arches", on Cicero Avenue just South of Montrose. I think the Golden Arch joint stated "Over ten thousand Sold" back then.

Don

Was henry's a chain? I remember a Henry's in Milford, Connecticut in about 1965. They made a pretty good blu cheese burger.
dbear
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/24 13:11:01 (permalink)
Two in Cambridge, MA that I miss (oddly enough, both were 'restaurants' inside cafeteria's):

Kay's Deli(inside a cafeteria on Mass. Ave in Central Sq):
This was a lunch only fried seafood place that had a great recipe for the frying batter and used only very fresh fish and clean frying oil. Fish & Chips using haddock was $2.50. Fried shrimp was about $3.25. Either was enough for 2. Gone since the late 70's when Central Sq. was re-done for the first of many times.

Buddy's Steak Pit (inside a cafeteria on Brattle St. in Harvard Sq.):
This was a lunch and dinner place that served burgers and several cuts of steak; no frills, cheap and very good...always packed for dinner with Harvard students looking for something beyond largely inedible dorm food. Also gone since the late 70's/early 80's. I still carry one of their weight balance cards in my wallet.
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/25 10:01:21 (permalink)
Who remembers Zaberer's near Atlantic City. I remember going there and I think they had chopped liver to snack on while you waited for your table. I was young and remember little else. The place was huge I think and there were billboards everywhere advertising it.

Did they specialize in anything. What was best? Is the building still there. Where was it located.
jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/25 10:45:39 (permalink)
Pirates Den 1972-1993,Our family restaurant,We brought the first pizza, italian food to the island not to mention the only place that was open after 8:00.It was a place when you looked at the outside made you wonder about going in but once you set foot in there you would be a regular after that.It was a Cheers kinda place,always laughter and good times.I sat at the old bar many a night after closing chowing down on our famous T-bone steak.I used to look forward to going to work there cause you never knew what would happen.It will be 11 years ago this March13 that the old place went up in flames and I miss it more than ever.Every time I look at that vacant lot I think about all the good times there.
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/02/25 11:33:33 (permalink)
Burgies in Myrtle Beach SC !!
Burgie's in Myrtle Beach SC was just a few blocks south of the pavillion, on Kings Ave/or HWY 17 I believe. I had the pleasure of working there some years ago - while I was young and adventuresome enough to enjoy the experience. It was a neat diner type place that specialized in "Chicken in the Rough" that you could order in a basket or service box featuring a chicken playing golf and the sides were usually french fried potatoes and honey for dipping. The diner had lots of diner type foods: eggs any way, potatoes, grits, homemade potato salad, fresh seafood, chicken and dumplings, tower-tall clubs ... just to name a few. There were tiny juke boxes on each booth. It was open 24/7 and while Myrtle Beach Air Force Base was still in operation it was a favorite stop for late nighters.
A couple of years ago I stopped back in and at that time it was called Country Kitchen (or maybe Kountry Kitchen?). The menu was basically the same, the fish plate was outstanding and the juke boxes still at each booth. I have no idea what it is like now but at the time it was great.
Scarlett
Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/03/10 13:59:50 (permalink)
The restaurant I remember best was a hamburger hang-out in Hewlett, Long Island, New York, known as "The Hamburger Express." It was owned by an African-American gentleman named Mr. Wilson and all his family members worked there. The gimmick was, these delicious burgers would be carried out to your table or counter seat on a plate attached to a model train that would puff and toot around the room. The burgers almost certainly had a bit of sirloin blended in with the fresh-ground chuck and were served on buttered toasted buns. The accompanying beverage was almost always a handmade iced Orangeade, made from fresh-squeezed oranges that were piled in a huge bin in the front. And God bless you, Mr. Wilson, wherever you are. - Rusty
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1