Tell Me About Places that are Gone

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 14
Author
Pogo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
  • Joined: 2004/08/14 10:19:00
  • Location: East Podunk, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/20 00:21:26 (permalink)
Sorry for the second post, I thought it would show up back on page three.

Regas, of course I remember Regas in Knoxville. That was a real treat when you got to go there. Man, the red velvet cake! Dad bought me my first lobster tail there when I was 13. Glad to hear that they are back in business.

The Valley Restaurant in Pigeon Forge, TN. This was before Dolly Parton ruined Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg with the HUGE influx of tourists.
It was a homestyle restaurant, they brought out bowl after bowl of food and placed it on a lazy susan in the middle of the table, eat all you want.

Crawdaddy's in Gulfport/Biloxi MS. The best fried alligator and fried pickles and fried pickled jalopenos ever. Their boiled crawfish was none too shabby either. I talked to the owner about why his alligator was so much better than anyone elses. He told me that he used the cheek meat instead of the tail.

Shoney's...... Ah the memories! I used to cruise the Shoney's drive-in located in Oak Ridge, TN every weekend when I was a teenager, Stop and get a Kingfish Sandwich. The drive-in section is closed now. Oh, and I loved the Big Boy and Dolly comic books they gave you too.

Manuels Tamales in New Orleans. For the life of me I cant remember the name of the street it was on, but it was always my first stop after a night of partying on Bourbon Street, and it is very near Bourbon.

The Tiny Tot, Harriman, TN. Meat and three restaurant that had the best chicken/dumplings/dressing every Thursday. And the best open faced chili cheese burger, best sweet tea, the list goes on.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
  • Joined: 2004/07/03 13:19:00
  • Location: San Francisco, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/20 04:32:23 (permalink)
Martha's Mexican Food #3, 9th and Folsom, San Francisco--best combo platter (tamale+enchillada+chile relleno) I've found, but now gone.

B&M Sub Shop--can't even remember exactly where it was but it was about 4 blocks off the Charles St. campus of Johns Hopkins U in Baltimore and made the roast beef subs that sustained my all-nighters through college.

Harry Little's Subs, several locations including one also near the Hopkins campus, that made the hamburger subs (4 burgers with fried onions, lettuce, tomato, cheese and condiments on an Italian loaf) that pushed my blood lipids and glucose to the level required to pass Inorganic Chemistry and Physics 101.

Hausner's, Baltimore, probably the best known German restaurant in the Mid-Atlantic region. Taught me how much a really like Sauerbraten with potato dumpling, but best known for its huge collection of mediocre art plastering the walls.

Hamburger Mary's, 11th and Folsom, San Francisco which got a citation from the Health Department in the '70's for having a unisex bathroom with no lock on the door, and which had the campiest wait-staff in any restaurant popular with persons of all sexual orientations, but which made a really superb "Blueburger" (large, juicy burger, fried onions, blue cheese dressing and crumbled blue cheese, lettuce and tomato) with excellent home fries.
10X10
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
  • Joined: 2004/01/16 10:34:00
  • Location: NY, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/20 10:20:13 (permalink)
And Sib's on Chapel, the Far East with their goldfish ponds on either sid of the entrance
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I miss the old Jimmie's at Savin Rock, and Turk's and Phyliss', too. I Also miss G&H on Wall Street in New Haven, and the Arena Grille, where you could get the best lasagna in the world on Wednesdays. I miss Waybright Cafeteria on Dickinson Street in Charleston, West Virginia, and the Hub for barbeque and fried bologna sandwiches at the corner of Dickinson and Quarrier streets. I miss White Towers and Royal Castles, as well.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4608
  • Joined: 2003/07/26 22:24:00
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/20 10:45:48 (permalink)
We just lost two great restaurants here in Cincinnati, J's Seafood in Hyde Park and the F&N Steakhouse in Dayton Ky.

More chains opening all the time....
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
  • Joined: 2004/06/27 06:08:00
  • Location: Overland Park, KS
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/20 14:24:26 (permalink)
Here in Overland Park, KS we used to have the best ice cream parlor in the world. The local dairy by the name of Zarda sold all of their products from the their own stores rather then in the grocery store. As a young boy in the 70's, I thought that this was great. Each store had an ice cream fountain that made the best cones, shakes, and sundaes. My brother and I would ride our bikes up to the one in downtown Overland Park and split a Banana Royal. It was three huge scoops of ice cream laid out like a Banana Split but smothered in Hot Fudge. It came in an aluminum boat that had to be a foot long and at least 4 inches high. By the time the soda jerk got finished building it, there was no room left. Heaven on a hot summer day and all for a 1.49
jm3amdg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
  • Joined: 2004/06/14 20:01:00
  • Location: NEWTON TWP, MI
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/20 16:46:34 (permalink)
Regarding the Mayor's question about the Velvet Turtles: I believe they are all now closed. I recall in my younger days that they were the epitome of working man's "high class" -- thay had valet parking, and dimly lighted bars, and even served beef wellington (and when was the last time you thought about beef wellington?).
randy3452
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Joined: 2004/08/20 14:25:00
  • Location: Parma, MI
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/24 06:29:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 6star

Current sad news from RoadsideAmerica.com:

Rockford, MI - Rosie's Diner

Jerry Berta, the artist that created the Diner Village complex, has sold it and returned to the art fair circuit with his unique ceramic diners....Rosie's has suffered in his absence, the diners wanting for maintainance and the food and service a mere shadow of what had been. Gone are the waitresses in the classic diner uniforms, the cherry Cokes, and even their fabulous fried chicken. The meatloaf that was once magnificent is now only nasty.

The signage from the upscale DeLuxe Diner next door is gone, and it looks almost derelict. The Diner Store was unmanned and dark, on a Saturday afternoon! The unique mini-golf course out back looked playable, but needed TLC as well. [Steve Robotland, 08/05/2004]

Directions: Take the 13 Mile Road exit on US 131, heading East for 2 miles or so. It'll be on the right. Admission: Free.
randy3452
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Joined: 2004/08/20 14:25:00
  • Location: Parma, MI
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/24 06:36:51 (permalink)
The comments regarding "Rosies Diner" made me ill. It is truly a shame that the this icon of Americana can't be preserved in the manner it should be. When I visited this diner 2-3 years ago, I noticed that it was starting to be neglected...however I did not allow that to taint the ambiance I was trying to show my granddaughter. We enjoyed our visit. Perhaps the diner will be "noticed" by someone that remembers yesteryear...and save it from the ultimate demise as has been suffered by so many classy restaurants!
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
  • Joined: 2004/03/08 10:06:00
  • Location: Powhatan, VA
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/24 14:10:17 (permalink)
In Virginia Beach, in the '60's, there was a great little place called "Granby's Fried Chicken." It was in a one story whitewashed clapboard building about 8-10 blocks back from the ocean front, "over the hill." Stayed open 'til the wee hours. You ordered and picked up your food from a walk-up window and either took it home or ate in your car. The only light for the parking area (you just kinda parked in the sand just off the street) came from the soft drink machines in front of the building. Best fried chicken in the world.

Frank
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
  • Joined: 2004/04/06 21:00:00
  • Location: st petersburg, florida
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/24 14:45:35 (permalink)
When I was young (20), and a wee bit touched in the head, I played semi-pro football. It was a era when TV had not made Sunday NFL day. It was also the era of leather helmets and crazy town rivalrys. People actually came out to see us play, and paid good money for the privilege. After playing Huntington to a 6-6 tie on a lovely muddy Sunday afternoon, we showered and jumped into the bus which took all 25 of us to "Leo Gerard's, All the Chicken you can eat $1.50"---------------Imagine 25 hungry guys parading into Ma and Pa Gerard's little place and eating all the chicken in the joint. And that is what happened. Leo and Mama headed for Florida and a wonderful retirement the following week. Please pass the Bi-Carb.
BakersBoy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
  • Joined: 2004/03/13 11:57:00
  • Location: Annapolis, MD
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/24 14:55:06 (permalink)
BT,

There still is a Harry Little Subs in Baltimore. It is at the corner of 25th Street and Greenmount Ave. Not the best area of the city but still great subs. It is right across the street (25th) from the Stone Tavern which could be a great Roadfood stop. When I was a young patrolman in Baltimore this was my post. Since the Stone Tavern opened at five am., every cop in the area would go there for breakfast. There were no doughnut shops or Seven-Elevens. You will be happy to know that the Charles Village Pub is still up and doing fine.

BB
jarthur
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Joined: 2004/01/25 14:46:00
  • Location: Denver, CO
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/27 03:32:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by KimChee43

I miss Woolworth's lunch counter. They had great hamburgers and shakes, as I recall. Holiday Inns had their own dining rooms once. It was the place to go for "fine dining" when I was growing up.


No trip to downtown Denver was complete without a visit to the Woolworth's on 16th street. On the way to the food, there was the obligatory visit with the parakeets and fish in the pet department in the basement. I loved the 'Hoagie' sandwiches and pizza by the slice, with a paper cup of Coke. Mmmmmmmmhhh. It fit my tight budget and my taste buds.

Wish I could go back and catch the opening of Goldfinger at the old Paramount Theater with a follow up meal at the Woolworth's.
jeepguy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1555
  • Joined: 2004/03/29 04:29:00
  • Location: chicago, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/27 07:12:02 (permalink)
I'll never forget Fanny's in Evanston IL. Great spaghetti and great fried chicken! When i was young-er Dad took us all there for dinner again, and after presented us with tickets to see the Beatles at Comiskey Park a few days later! I still buy Fanny's frozen meat sauce to this day. This was in '65 i think. And everywhere around Evanston, Wilmette, and Chicago were posters nailed on every post...the Beatles are Coming, the Beatles are Coming.
cooperron
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Joined: 2004/01/28 12:45:00
  • Location: Knoxville, TN
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/27 08:37:50 (permalink)
The S&W cafeteria on Gay Street in Knoxville. Great food, served cafeteria style, carried by tuxedoed waiters to a white linen topped table. They also had an organist to provide background music.

The Frontier House, aka "West Knoxville Country Club". I don't know what I miss more, the Charley Burgers or the snake skin that ran the length of the bar.

The dining room at the Mountain View in Gatlinburg. Best biscuits and red-eye gravy anywhere.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18857
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/27 11:36:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 10X10

And Sib's on Chapel, the Far East with their goldfish ponds on either sid of the entrances
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I miss the old Jimmie's at Savin Rock, and Turk's and Phyliss', too. I Also miss G&H on Wall Street in New Haven, and the Arena Grille, where you could get the best lasagna in the world on Wednesdays. I miss Waybright Cafeteria on Dickinson Street in Charleston, West Virginia, and the Hub for barbeque and fried bologna sandwiches at the corner of Dickinson and Quarrier streets. I miss White Towers and Royal Castles, as well.

I don't remember Sibs, but I do remember the Far East. When I was little I thought it was the only place outside China where you could get Chinese food.
I also remember Tasty-Toastee on Temple Street, Eddie Rahm's on Center Street and the Normandie on Chapel Street. Oh, and there was Mrs. Root's on Orange Street.
quazforb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Joined: 2002/06/10 15:08:00
  • Location: Memphis, TN
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/27 12:35:45 (permalink)
Belisle's near Disneyland. Had the hugest portions anywhere. People looking for a humble diner would get up and walk out after seeing the prices, but the pies were as tall as they were wide. Big ol' pork chops, plenty of sides and gutbusting desserts. All delicious.

Haven't been out to Southern Cal lately but a friend tells me it's been gone a while now. Glad I have the memories.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
  • Joined: 2004/07/03 13:19:00
  • Location: San Francisco, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/08/27 14:30:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BakersBoy

BT,

There still is a Harry Little Subs in Baltimore. It is at the corner of 25th Street and Greenmount Ave. Not the best area of the city but still great subs. It is right across the street (25th) from the Stone Tavern which could be a great Roadfood stop. When I was a young patrolman in Baltimore this was my post. Since the Stone Tavern opened at five am., every cop in the area would go there for breakfast. There were no doughnut shops or Seven-Elevens. You will be happy to know that the Charles Village Pub is still up and doing fine.

BB


I think that's the Harry Little's we went to--it was on Greenmount. I couldn't remember the street names. You are, of course, right about the hood--one classmate got stabbed on the way back to campus after a visit there. Since you advised the franchise isn't dead, I found a review of another one in Towson: http://www.citypaper.com/eat/review.asp?id=2504 . They didn't like it so much. But what I fondly remember was the hamburger subs with lots of onions--and the meatball which the review talks about. The other varieties weren't anything special as I recall which may explain the mediocre review. Like I said, for other stuff I went to the B&M in the basement of a rowhouse on another street.

I think I recall the Stone Tavern, but I don't think I ever ate there.

Also, I predated the Charles Village Pub. In fact, I predated Charles Village--at least I don't recall the area being called that when I was there. Don't tell anyone, but I also predate GIRLS at Hopkins. Indeed, there wasn't much available in the way of nearby off-campus night life. Mostly, we either went downtown, out to Towson (by way of Goucher) or just got a bottle of booze at the little store directly across Charles St. on the first floor of one of the former apartment buildings (now dorms) there (shhhh! They weren't real strict about the age thing). And, of course, there were the frat parties which, as a cop, I suspect you are familiar with.
glasskat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Joined: 2004/09/01 09:00:00
  • Location: Buffalo, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/01 09:06:37 (permalink)
Belisle's in LA is gone? Did I read that correctly? :-(

Does anyone remember the following places in Evanson, IL:

Yesterday's
The Spot
Pig's End
The Hut
The Huddle
Both B&G's
Smithfield's
The lunch counter at Walgreen's
The lunch counter at Woolworth's!
The lunch counter at Kresge'

Tastytoo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 271
  • Joined: 2004/08/28 19:23:00
  • Location: Moving.
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/01 09:24:41 (permalink)
The Huddle has gone through many changes.It became Coach's Cafe,Gary Barnett's and Cookin' With Jazz.Yesterday's was also mentioned on the LTH Forum site.
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1744
  • Joined: 2000/10/23 05:15:00
  • Location: Baltimore, MD
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/01 10:44:39 (permalink)
BT, the B&M, you've got to be kidding! I went there once and remember it only as an underground hole on Calvert St.

Yes there is a Harry Little on York Road in Rodgers Forge (home of Michael Phelps)still going strong, even though the road has been torn up for improvements for the past 6 months. The one on 25th St. is still open, but it's more fortified than a bank. The sign however, (me signman)is one of the all time classics, it's in the shape of an actual submarine, alas the neon tubing is all gone.
10X10
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
  • Joined: 2004/01/16 10:34:00
  • Location: NY, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/01 11:14:52 (permalink)
I might have the St. incorrect for Sib's, it was opposite the green around the corner from the original Karmelcorn(another gone, but not forgotten). As far as another great Chinese place...do you remeber Chung King on Whalley Ave? The best pork egg foo yong combo plate ever
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by 10X10

And Sib's on Chapel, the Far East with their goldfish ponds on either sid of the entrances
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I miss the old Jimmie's at Savin Rock, and Turk's and Phyliss', too. I Also miss G&H on Wall Street in New Haven, and the Arena Grille, where you could get the best lasagna in the world on Wednesdays. I miss Waybright Cafeteria on Dickinson Street in Charleston, West Virginia, and the Hub for barbeque and fried bologna sandwiches at the corner of Dickinson and Quarrier streets. I miss White Towers and Royal Castles, as well.

I don't remember Sibs, but I do remember the Far East. When I was little I thought it was the only place outside China where you could get Chinese food.
I also remember Tasty-Toastee on Temple Street, Eddie Rahm's on Center Street and the Normandie on Chapel Street. Oh, and there was Mrs. Root's on Orange Street.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18857
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/01 11:28:39 (permalink)
Originally posted by 10X10

I might have the St. incorrect for Sib's, it was opposite the green around the corner from the original Karmelcorn(another gone, but not forgotten). As far as another great Chinese place...do you remeber Chung King on Whalley Ave? The best pork egg foo yong combo plate ever![quote

I'm afraid I still don't remember Sibs. I have a vague memory of Chun King, but I can't recall ever going there. Now, a couple of places I do remember on Whalley Avenue are Al's and Chuck's -- right across the street from each other. I practically lived at Al's.
10X10
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
  • Joined: 2004/01/16 10:34:00
  • Location: NY, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/01 13:04:10 (permalink)
I do remember Chuck's Luncheonette, Lox and Eggs with a toasted lenders.

OK, how about the Clambox on rt. #1. Many a fried clam platter where consumed after a day spent at the old Colony Beach Club
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Originally posted by 10X10

I might have the St. incorrect for Sib's, it was opposite the green around the corner from the original Karmelcorn(another gone, but not forgotten). As far as another great Chinese place...do you remeber Chung King on Whalley Ave? The best pork egg foo yong combo plate ever![quote

I'm afraid I still don't remember Sibs. I have a vague memory of Chun King, but I can't recall ever going there. Now, a couple of places I do remember on Whalley Avenue are Al's and Chuck's -- right across the street from each other. I practically lived at Al's.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18857
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/01 13:38:11 (permalink)
Originally posted by 10X10

I do remember Chuck's Luncheonette, Lox and Eggs with a toasted lenders.

OK, how about the Clambox on rt. #1. Many a fried clam platter where consumed after a day spent at the old Colony Beach Club.[quote

I didn't go to Chucks very often. It was the choice of old folks, like my mother. They did have one thing I really liked -- a chicken liver omlet.

I wasn't a Clambox fan. For me it was always Jimmies at Savin Rock -- the original one next to Turk's and across from Phyllis's. Four dogs, two lobster rolls, an order of fried clams, a dozen clams on the half shell, french fries, and all washed down with a pineapple drink or birch beer.

I never went to the Colony Beach Club, but I knew plenty of folks who belonged.
10X10
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
  • Joined: 2004/01/16 10:34:00
  • Location: NY, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/01 13:45:05 (permalink)
I remember going to the original Jimmies, going on the rides etc. It was a great time...I'm not sure how old you are(I am 44), but are you an alumni of either Eric Day Camp or laurelwood
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Originally posted by 10X10

I do remember Chuck's Luncheonette, Lox and Eggs with a toasted lenders.

OK, how about the Clambox on rt. #1. Many a fried clam platter where consumed after a day spent at the old Colony Beach Club.[quote

I didn't go to Chucks very often. It was the choice of old folks, like my mother. They did have one thing I really liked -- a chicken liver omlet.

I wasn't a Clambox fan. For me it was always Jimmies at Savin Rock -- the original one next to Turk's and across from Phyllis's. Four dogs, two lobster rolls, an order of fried clams, a dozen clams on the half shell, french fries, and all washed down with a pineapple drink or birch beer.

I never went to the Colony Beach Club, but I knew plenty of folks who belonged.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18857
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/01 14:14:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 10X10

I remember going to the original Jimmies, going on the rides etc. It was a great time...I'm not sure how old you are(I am 44), but are you an alumni of either Eric Day Camp or laurelwood?
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Originally posted by 10X10

I do remember Chuck's Luncheonette, Lox and Eggs with a toasted lenders.

OK, how about the Clambox on rt. #1. Many a fried clam platter where consumed after a day spent at the old Colony Beach Club.[quote

I didn't go to Chucks very often. It was the choice of old folks, like my mother. They did have one thing I really liked -- a chicken liver omlet.

I wasn't a Clambox fan. For me it was always Jimmies at Savin Rock -- the original one next to Turk's and across from Phyllis's. Four dogs, two lobster rolls, an order of fried clams, a dozen clams on the half shell, french fries, and all washed down with a pineapple drink or birch beer.

I never went to the Colony Beach Club, but I knew plenty of folks who belonged.


Camp Laurelwood. I went there when I was eight years old -- a very, very long time ago. It was supposed to be for two weeks, but I managed to get paroled after just three days. I hated it. My mother and father never could explain why I had to leave our cottage in Woodmont (the Anchor) where I had my own catboat to go to some stupid camp where I was forced to swim with a "buddy."

The only thing I really remember about Laurelwood was: "We welcome you to laurelwood. We're might glad you're here ...."
10X10
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
  • Joined: 2004/01/16 10:34:00
  • Location: NY, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/01 14:20:14 (permalink)
There would have been no good answer until you were 12 an 13, then the answer would have been "Pam Hankin"
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by 10X10

I remember going to the original Jimmies, going on the rides etc. It was a great time...I'm not sure how old you are(I am 44), but are you an alumni of either Eric Day Camp or laurelwood?
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Originally posted by 10X10

I do remember Chuck's Luncheonette, Lox and Eggs with a toasted lenders.

OK, how about the Clambox on rt. #1. Many a fried clam platter where consumed after a day spent at the old Colony Beach Club.[quote

I didn't go to Chucks very often. It was the choice of old folks, like my mother. They did have one thing I really liked -- a chicken liver omlet.

I wasn't a Clambox fan. For me it was always Jimmies at Savin Rock -- the original one next to Turk's and across from Phyllis's. Four dogs, two lobster rolls, an order of fried clams, a dozen clams on the half shell, french fries, and all washed down with a pineapple drink or birch beer.

I never went to the Colony Beach Club, but I knew plenty of folks who belonged.


Camp Laurelwood. I went there when I was eight years old -- a very, very long time ago. It was supposed to be for two weeks, but I managed to get paroled after just three days. I hated it. My mother and father never could explain why I had to leave our cottage in Woodmont (the Anchor) where I had my own catboat to go to some stupid camp where I was forced to swim with a "buddy."

The only thing I really remember about Laurelwood was: "We welcome you to laurelwood. We're might glad you're here ...."
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18857
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/01 14:37:25 (permalink)
"There would have been no good answer until you were 12 an 13, then the answer would have been "Pam Hankin"."

I have absolutely no idea what that means.
10X10
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
  • Joined: 2004/01/16 10:34:00
  • Location: NY, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/01 14:43:26 (permalink)
The prettiest girl in Bunk 13
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

"There would have been no good answer until you were 12 an 13, then the answer would have been "Pam Hankin"."

I have absolutely no idea what that means.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18857
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/02 10:58:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 10X10

The prettiest girl in Bunk 13.
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

"There would have been no good answer until you were 12 an 13, then the answer would have been "Pam Hankin"."

I have absolutely no idea what that means.


Ah, I see. It's been a long, long time since I was at Laurelwood, but I don't recall seeing any girls. I think they were there, but I wasn't interested in anything except getting out of there.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1