Tell Me About Places that are Gone

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 14
Author
zussers
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/02 11:10:25 (permalink)
Hey Cooperron, I remember the Frontier House! I lived not too far from there and worked at a daycare center behind it! (also no longer there) I loved their potatoe soup! When did the S&W on Gay Street Close? I never got to eat there, but I work Downtown and walk by the building all the time! You can still tell that it was the S&W!
wilewil
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/02 15:13:24 (permalink)
S&W also existed in Chattanooga downtown and in Washington on New York Ave near the Whitehouse. I ate at all three. I think Morrisons was the death of the Tennessee locations, though they are now gone too I guess. The last of the cafeterias in Washington, the venerable Sholls closed a year or two ago on K Street, it was a competetor to S&W and had many more locations (to S&W's one or maybe two - I think I remember that there was one at Landmark in Alexandria too.)
chef joe
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/03 15:24:07 (permalink)
Berry's Steaks at 2nd & Jackson Sts., in South Philly. A pile of grilled beef and fried onions on a small torpedo roll with just the right amount of grease dripping off them. The beef and onions had a touch of "burnt" to them and they had their own homemade steak sauce, tried for years to duplicate it, but I never figured it out. Pat's and Geno's didn't even come close to these, you didn't even need cheese on them - boy were they good! Also the Rendezvous in North Wildwood in the 70's the best cheesesteaks and snapper turtle soup at the Jersey shore.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/03 15:45:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cooperron

The S&W cafeteria on Gay Street in Knoxville. Great food, served cafeteria style, carried by tuxedoed waiters to a white linen topped table. They also had an organist to provide background music.

The Frontier House, aka "West Knoxville Country Club". I don't know what I miss more, the Charley Burgers or the snake skin that ran the length of the bar.

The dining room at the Mountain View in Gatlinburg. Best biscuits and red-eye gravy anywhere.

Cooperon: I recall the S&W very well as I worked downtown in Knoxville from 1961 to 1982. I ate at the S&W daily. The organist name was Lois Harris and I enjoyed the music nightly and perhaps daily also as i cannot remember exactly when she did the organ thing.

Since it was downtown Knoxville, it was handy from my office and I enjoyed each and every meal I had there. It has been closed for many years but I hear that there may be some type of revival of the location as downtown is mega coming back. Parking there is almost impossible due to the folks living in the lofts.

The Frontier House on Kingston Pike use to have the best fried chicken in Knoxville, but they sold the place and it is either gone or no where near what it was. All my friends who use to go there discontinued their patronage.

paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/03 17:18:05 (permalink)
My recent vacation was a trip down memory land and it prompted me to remember the San Jacinto Inn, an all you can eat seafood place on the edge of the San Jacinto Battleground, east of Houston. It was open from ca. the 1930s to the early 1980s. The menu included fried red snapper, fried chicken, blue crab meat and pasta shells in red clam sauce, that I remember. I'm sure there was also cold boiled shrimp and I think there were scalloped potatoes. I seem to remember you started with a simple iceberg lettuce salad. The crab meat was picked and presented in a small bowl -- Texas blue crabs are small and I guess they thought, or found from experience, that most people wouldn't take the trouble to deal with picking the meat themselves. There may have been fried oysters as well, but the big draws were the snapper and chicken.

It was a huge dining hall. Jacketed waiters brought your food to you; as often as you wanted it replenished, they kept bringing it. Each table, set with a white table cloth, was family style service.

All this was only about $18.95 per person the last time I went, I think.

It was an incredible feast and extremely popular. I'm not sure why they finally closed, but they couldn't have been making much money at that price. In the mid-70s, Boston Sea Food Party, or something like that, opened on the west side. It was an all you can eat place also, with prime rib and other options. The food wasn't nearly as good, but it was a lot more convenient unless you lived on the east side and it drew a lot of business away from San Jacinto Inn but only lasted 3 or 4 years itself.

Whoops! Just went Googling (again) to try to find something to refresh my memory or a picture to post and discovered a bit about the Inn on the San Jacinto Monument website FAQs: the San Jacinto Inn opened in 1919.
Lunza
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/04 16:55:50 (permalink)
I miss a place in Marysville, Calif., called the Yuba River Still. Very good Southern-style food in a converted barn, decorated with old farm tools and things like washboards. That's where I learned that rabbit tastes good and that cream gravy is so much better than the brown stuff (which I detest).
Tedbear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/04 17:08:03 (permalink)

The Hot Shoppes! My God, I had almost forgotten about them. I recall going to one or more of their locations in D.C., circa 1961, and I recall that we used to go there for breakfast every morning while visiting D.C.

For some reason, I really liked the idea of writing down your own order on the pad. At this point, I can't really understand why this was so great, but as a 12 year-old, it seemed really neat.

And, I just remembered my favorite breakfast at The Hot Shoppes--Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast. Yes, I know that veterans of the US Army would find this to be very strange, but as a kid, I thought that this was really haute cuisine. And, I remember that my parents liked the way that the coffee was served in a little carafe that held two cups. The carafe was called a "hottle", as I recall. Ah--memories!
Tedbear
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/04 17:21:46 (permalink)

A couple of years ago, I did see an Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips place, but I can't remember where it was. I just remember being fascinated to see that at least one was still in existence, many years after I thought that they had all closed.

However, I have to say that I do not miss this fast food outfit, as I can recall severe stomach cramps after both times that I tried their food. Perhaps it was merely coincidental, but after eating there twice and getting sick twice, I was not about to tempt fate with a third visit. Some people told me that it was the Malt Vinegar that made me sick. I tend to think that a more likely cause was cooking oil that had been re-used far too many times, or perhaps just poor hygienic practices at that location (Bayonne, NJ).

Tedbear
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/04 17:33:39 (permalink)
How about Geno's, a fast food chain in PA & NJ? It was owned by Geno Marchetti, the football player.

Since McDonald's and Burger King had not yet come to our area (Hudson County, NJ), Geno's made quite a splash when one opened in 1967 (?). The big burger (very much like a Big Mac) was the Geno Giant. At the time, I thought that they were wonderful--which just shows how much an 18 year-old knows.

In addition to the burgers, Geno's had the area franchise for Kentucky Fried Chicken, since KFC had also not invaded our area yet.
I was familiar with KFC from summer car trips around the country, and this was the only place to get KFC in N.J. for at least a few years.

Later, of course, the company opened their own locations in the NorthEast. Geno's disappeared some time around the late '70s, I believe.

Tastytoo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 271
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/12 21:06:32 (permalink)
Someone mentioned The Hut in Evanston.Where was it?I do remember The Corner Hut in Skokie.
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2346
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/14 02:44:58 (permalink)
Someone asked about sushi in Milwaukee? My best friend married into the family that owns Izumi's. Never eaten there as I find raw fish to be more bait than a meal, but she says it's good.

Gone but not forgotten in Kenosha, Wisconsin:

Fon Tan Blu--hot Italian Beef sammiches, and you could order a 'soakie'--a bun soaked in the juices of the meat. Yummm. Good fries, too and hard ice cream.

Maggy's Hot Dog Stand--Chicago dogs & the best french fries ever, east of Sheridan Rd on 75th st.

We had an Arthur Treachers, as well as a Bonanza, and a Marc's Big Boy, and A&W, but sadly, no more. There are only 2-3 A&W's in SE Wisc now.

The other thing I'm missing is, believe it or not, Dunkin Donuts!!! In NYC there is almost one on every corner, here in Milwaukee there is only one, downtown, and I NEVER think about stopping in there for coffee beans when I'm at a sporting event, concert, festival, etc. Nevermind the Bostom Kremes & the Chocolate Honey Dipped's.

We also have little to no Baskin Robbins left. It's a hike for either of them for me. Then I remember they do not make Clown Cones anymore. My mother used to get me an ice cream cake every year for my birthday from there.

Did anyone else have Village Inn Pancake House near them? I remember their pancakes with 3 different fruit flavored syrups they would bring you, but you could have maple, too, if you wanted. Going there for breakfast was a birthday tradition.
speechpeach
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/14 17:24:13 (permalink)
I used to love going to downtown Atlanta and eating at the S&W. They had a revolving door, which I thought was totally cool( I still love those doors, even at my age) Woolworth's was heaven for me as a child, and a great birthday party was had when a friend's father took all of her friends to Woolworth's and gave us each $5.00.
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1165
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/19 19:19:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

How about Geno's, a fast food chain in PA & NJ? It was owned by Geno Marchetti, the football player.

That was Gino's. One of my brothers used to take me to the one in Northeast Philly on Roosevelt Blvd. when I was just a wee lass. It sat next to Boulevard Lanes (where I loved to play pinball)and I remember it as clearly as if...We would eat hamburgers and french fries in his GTO and listen to him use the reverb feature on his 8-track player! "Everybody goes to Gino's, 'cause Gino's is the place to go. Everybody goes to Gino's...everybody in the know!"
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18859
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/19 19:47:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hermitt4d

My recent vacation was a trip down memory land and it prompted me to remember the San Jacinto Inn, an all you can eat seafood place on the edge of the San Jacinto Battleground, east of Houston. It was open from ca. the 1930s to the early 1980s. The menu included fried red snapper, fried chicken, blue crab meat and pasta shells in red clam sauce, that I remember. I'm sure there was also cold boiled shrimp and I think there were scalloped potatoes. I seem to remember you started with a simple iceberg lettuce salad. The crab meat was picked and presented in a small bowl -- Texas blue crabs are small and I guess they thought, or found from experience, that most people wouldn't take the trouble to deal with picking the meat themselves. There may have been fried oysters as well, but the big draws were the snapper and chicken.

It was a huge dining hall. Jacketed waiters brought your food to you; as often as you wanted it replenished, they kept bringing it. Each table, set with a white table cloth, was family style service.

It was an incredible feast and extremely popular. I'm not sure why they finally closed, but they couldn't have been making much money at that price. In the mid-70s, Boston Sea Food Party, or something like that, opened on the west side. It was an all you can eat place also, with prime rib and other options. The food wasn't nearly as good, but it was a lot more convenient unless you lived on the east side and it drew a lot of business away from San Jacinto Inn but only lasted 3 or 4 years itself.

Whoops! Just went Googling (again) to try to find something to refresh my memory or a picture to post and discovered a bit about the Inn on the San Jacinto Monument website FAQs: the San Jacinto Inn opened in 1919.

I remember the San Jacinto Inn and it's all-you-can-eat offerings. I recall the food was pretty darned good, but the thing I remember the most is the fact that when I used to go there in the mid-1950s the price for all-you-can-eat was $2.95.
kaylegh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/21 14:05:36 (permalink)
A favorite restaurant of mine was closed down in the early 1990s I believe.
EL TORITO was in Warwick, RI.
Best mexican restaurant!
Huge margaritas-cheap. Nacho chips and salsa made on the premises,sigh!
Chips were warm and just salty enough. Salsa had just enough kick in it but not overpowering. I can still taste the cilantro and the garlic along with the chunks of tomatoes.

I did find one out in Carver Massachusetts, but that too went by the wayside.
Tedbear
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/25 12:43:25 (permalink)

I am glad that Shayna's mom also fondly recalls Geno's, but I have to tell her that it most definitely was spelled GENO'S, not "Gino's".

Perhaps she was too much of a wee lass to have focused on the exact spelling on the signs, but since I was already entering college when the local outlet opened, I do have quite vivid recollections of the place, as well as the spelling of the name. After all, it was named for the owner, Geno Marchetti.
harriet1954
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/25 21:32:46 (permalink)

tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 442
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/27 10:39:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by shaynas_mom

Boy, I hate it when that happens! I guess we're all waiting from a retraction.
harriet1954
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/27 12:45:49 (permalink)
I wasn't trying to be a smartypants or anything; it's just that I know my trivia, trust my memory, and am an excellent speller (and would have Googled it had I not been sure, but I'm very sure!) I just wish that the two img links to the Gino's cups had stuck. They were still there last night, but maybe the site went down temporarily or something. I hope the pic of Gino himself is still there for awhile. Everybody goes to GINO's!
leslie1787
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/27 15:03:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by cooperron

The S&W cafeteria on Gay Street in Knoxville. Great food, served cafeteria style, carried by tuxedoed waiters to a white linen topped table. They also had an organist to provide background music.

The Frontier House, aka "West Knoxville Country Club". I don't know what I miss more, the Charley Burgers or the snake skin that ran the length of the bar.

The dining room at the Mountain View in Gatlinburg. Best biscuits and red-eye gravy anywhere.

Cooperon: I recall the S&W very well as I worked downtown in Knoxville from 1961 to 1982. I ate at the S&W daily. The organist name was Lois Harris and I enjoyed the music nightly and perhaps daily also as i cannot remember exactly when she did the organ thing.

Since it was downtown Knoxville, it was handy from my office and I enjoyed each and every meal I had there. It has been closed for many years but I hear that there may be some type of revival of the location as downtown is mega coming back. Parking there is almost impossible due to the folks living in the lofts.

The Frontier House on Kingston Pike use to have the best fried chicken in Knoxville, but they sold the place and it is either gone or no where near what it was. All my friends who use to go there discontinued their patronage.

paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Omigosh, yes, The Mountain View. Even my grandmother had memories of it from her youth. We would stay at the hotel, and I remember there were always 5-10 of us eating there and the waitress took our orders without a pad and never got it wrong. And, I'm talking drink, entree, and at least a variety of three sides per person. A wonderful dining room with wood floors and ladder back chairs and rocking chairs on the huge front porch area. I could not believe my eyes when I went back for a visit recently and the whole complex had been torn down. Hotel and all. The most authentic piece of Gatlinburg history gone!
OK, here's another one. Ott's BBQ somewhere between Knoxville and Sweetwater. Not traditional southern bbq, but they had this wonderful hot ham that my Dad loved, and when he would take me to Knoxville to see the orthodontist we would often stop at Ott's on the way home. Does anyone remember this place? I think it is gone, but maybe not. I'm not sure exactly where it was, my Dad was known to go off the road and out of his way for good food. Thanks.
jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/27 15:48:54 (permalink)
quote:

It was Boston Sea Party "like Tea". We had one in the Chicago 'burbs. We went a couple of times but i truly don't remember much...that was a long time ago!
Tedbear
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/27 18:08:41 (permalink)

I humbly retract my statement about the spelling of Gino's!

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/28 00:12:44 (permalink)
Loved Gino's as a kid, especially their vanilla shakes. If I remember correctly, they had Kentucky Fried Chicken as well as burgers. I also recall the one by us was the subject of a certain urban legend.
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/28 04:54:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

quote:

It was Boston Sea Party "like Tea". We had one in the Chicago 'burbs. We went a couple of times but i truly don't remember much...that was a long time ago!

The concept was impressive, the food was not very memorable. I thought it probably was a chain. My company had an account there and my boss always wanted me to use it for my small department's get togethers (so he could use the accounts at nicer restaurants .)
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/28 06:22:17 (permalink)
OK, here's another one. Ott's BBQ somewhere between Knoxville and Sweetwater. Not traditional southern bbq, but they had this wonderful hot ham that my Dad loved, and when he would take me to Knoxville to see the orthodontist we would often stop at Ott's on the way home. Does anyone remember this place? I think it is gone, but maybe not. I'm not sure exactly where it was, my Dad was known to go off the road and out of his way for good food. Thanks.

Leslie: Otts was on the west end of Farragut on Kingston Pike. The building is still there and I think their sign is still intact but I think it is gone.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
wilewil
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/09/28 15:46:51 (permalink)
I thought Ott's was the best BBQ in the Kville area. Too bad its gone. What do you think is the best now - Calhoun's maybe?
CyberSue
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/11/17 17:04:31 (permalink)
SuperSec and anybody who knew and loved Ed's White Front: Does anyone know how to get the sauce? The descendants of the former owners put up a nice little web site, but their phone and email contact information doesn't seem to work. Hope to hear from someone! CyberSue

quote:
Originally posted by SuperSec

St. Louis, MO
Hamburger Heaven for burgers, barbecue sauce on the fries and corndogs. Jack and Jill for burgers, cherry cokes, chocolate cokes and ice cream shakes and hot fudge sundaes.
Cyrano's for decadent, huge ice cream sundae creations. Oh my G-d!
Via's for pizza-thin crust; is there any other kind?
Ed's White Front for BBQ and thin, grassy style vinegar slaw.
Golden Fried Chicken for the best fried chicken, slaw and pies.
But...Steak & Shake is still there and in other states too!
I'm getting hungry...bye!

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/11/18 14:52:24 (permalink)
Paul's probably already mentioned earlier that Sarge's BBQ closed about 2 years ago. He was a retired cop from Jamaica, I believe, and thus the name. He had one of the better BBQ joints and he made "comeback smoke". He said if you smelled it, you would come back. He couldn't find anyone to sell his business to so he closed it. His son had a place on near UT campus that was good but it didn't last too long.
Another place near me closed recently, Ray's Rib Shack.

carl reitz
CyberSue
Junior Burger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/11/18 15:02:37 (permalink)
SuperSec and anybody who knew and loved Ed's White Front: Does anyone know how to get the sauce? The descendants of the former owners put up a nice little web site, but their phone and email contact information doesn't seem to work. Hope to hear from someone! CyberSue

quote:

St. Louis, MO
Hamburger Heaven for burgers, barbecue sauce on the fries and corndogs. Jack and Jill for burgers, cherry cokes, chocolate cokes and ice cream shakes and hot fudge sundaes.

CyberSue
Junior Burger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/11/18 15:22:11 (permalink)

quote:

St. Louis, MO

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1