Hot!Tell Me About Places that are Gone

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 14
Author
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/11/18 15:49:17 (permalink)
"Susie's" in Kernersville, NC has now been replaced by "Jimmy the Greek's". We were disappointed to learn this when we stopped by last week, and even more disappointed after we had tried the food.

From now on we will have to drive the 20 miles to "Stamey's" in Greensboro or go in the other direction for "Lexington # 1".
fablerox
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/11/23 19:04:20 (permalink)
I used to love King's Food Host in Nebraska. You sat at the booth and ordered via phone booth. Sure miss those cheese Frenchies and pineapple milk shakes.

Also Bishop's Buffet. They had a great French silk pie.
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/11/24 02:28:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fablerox

I used to love King's Food Host in Nebraska. You sat at the booth and ordered via phone booth. Sure miss those cheese Frenchies and pineapple milk shakes.

Fablerox, is that the same King's as shares many restaurants (like the Tricon^H^H^H^H^H^H YUM! brands) with Amigo's Mexican? If so, I ate at one of those in either York or Seward--the burger to me tasted terrible .

quote:

I believe Bishop's still operates in eastern Iowa.
bookedoo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/11/24 09:29:57 (permalink)
As a brand new member of roadfood, this is my first post. Barely began reading the forums when I came across the topic of Restaurant's of the past. Does anyone remember SENIORS RESTAURANT (no relation to JUNIORS) from Brooklyn, NY, located @ Nostrand AVE & AVE Y? This was a wonderful family run business for 45 years. It was typically a Jewish/American style restaurant, 500 seats. The food ran the gamut from omelettes (Remember the LEO, Lox/Eggs & Onions?) to steak, lobster and seafood. Reasonably priced and a real neighborhood fixture. There were many ethnic (jewish) favorites i.e., kasha varnishkas,derma,stuffed cabbage,brisket and the list goes on and on. This was a place that the entire neighborhood of Sheepshead Bay came to, some on a daily basis, but also came to for special family functions as they did wonderful catering(parties) as well. Mostly everyone, staff & customers were on a first name basis, Must add that the best waitres EVER was young lady by the name of DEBBIE, If you're out there DEB You were truly the best, loved by all. SENIORS has been gone for almost 8 years and is still missed greatly. Anyone out there that remembers Seniors?, Let's hear from you.
wingandaprayer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/11/24 10:33:32 (permalink)
Does anyone remember eating in the Rainbow Room at Hess's Department Store in Allentown, PA? My aunt would take my mother and me there for lunch in the '50's. I remember the deserts were on display as we entered, and I could think of nothing else except a huge slice of glazed strawberry pie. Models would stroll through the restraunt wearing the latest fashions that could be purchased at Hess's. I know that this isn't exactly roadfood, but it came at the end of a roadtrip that I would make with my family every Christmas from Erie to Easton, which in the 50's was truly a roadtrip.
verysleepy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/11/24 12:08:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bookedoo

As a brand new member of roadfood, this is my first post. Barely began reading the forums when I came across the topic of Restaurant's of the past. Does anyone remember SENIORS RESTAURANT (no relation to JUNIORS) from Brooklyn, NY, located @ Nostrand AVE & AVE Y? This was a wonderful family run business for 45 years. It was typically a Jewish/American style restaurant, 500 seats. The food ran the gamut from omelettes (Remember the LEO, Lox/Eggs & Onions?) to steak, lobster and seafood. Reasonably priced and a real neighborhood fixture. There were many ethnic (jewish) favorites i.e., kasha varnishkas,derma,stuffed cabbage,brisket and the list goes on and on. This was a place that the entire neighborhood of Sheepshead Bay came to, some on a daily basis, but also came to for special family functions as they did wonderful catering(parties) as well. Mostly everyone, staff & customers were on a first name basis, Must add that the best waitres EVER was young lady by the name of DEBBIE, If you're out there DEB You were truly the best, loved by all. SENIORS has been gone for almost 8 years and is still missed greatly. Anyone out there that remembers Seniors?, Let's hear from you.

Hi there, and welcome

I remember Seniors as a really nice treat in the Sheepshead Bay, area. Living in Brooklyn growing up though, you tended to stick to your neighborhood, even if you had an occasional "big" dinner out. I grew up in Flatbush, and then in the Brighton/Coney Island area- so a bit too far, as we didn't have a car.

I also remember, in that same area- a great ice cream parlor- where you could get a "kitchen sink". We went there for a treat on our birthdays. I think the name of it was Jan's? Also in the same area- on Nostrand and Ave. U was a great roast beef sandwich place- Brennan and Carr's? Is that still around?

Speaking of Brighton Beach.. so many wonderful places have now closed- and now only little Odessa exists. Mrs. Stahls Knishes were the best in this universe, but the existing store, despite keeping the name, sells pizza. So sad.

wingandaprayer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/11/24 13:12:57 (permalink)
A correction to my post. It was "The Patio", not the "Rainbow Room", Hess's Drpartment Store, Allentown, PA.
bookedoo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/11/24 19:35:34 (permalink)
HI VERYSLEEPY, good to hear from another Brooklynite, as i said in my last post, I'm new to this forum and am still trying to navigate through it, but I remember Jahn's icecream parlor very well, we went every year on our birthday for our free sundae. Did you ever have thier kitchen sink? It was a sundae w/everything but the kitchen sink! Jahn's was located on Nostrand Avenue & Ave. Z. Brennan & Carrs is still there at it's original location on Ave U & Nostrand AVe. As for the changes in Brighton Beach, you would most certainly think you were in Russia, gone are the knish places and Jewish deli's but Nathan's is still a landmark in Coney Island. Well nice reminising. HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!
Hastyman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/11/24 20:06:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by McFan

quote:
Originally posted by fablerox

quote:

I believe Bishop's still operates in eastern Iowa.

Yep . . . two in Cedar Rapids, one in Dubuque, and one in Waterloo. There may be others.
fatmanstl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/11/28 10:32:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SuperSec

St. Louis, MO
Hamburger Heaven for burgers, barbecue sauce on the fries and corndogs. Jack and Jill for burgers, cherry cokes, chocolate cokes and ice cream shakes and hot fudge sundaes.
Cyrano's for decadent, huge ice cream sundae creations. Oh my G-d!
Via's for pizza-thin crust; is there any other kind?
Ed's White Front for BBQ and thin, grassy style vinegar slaw.
Golden Fried Chicken for the best fried chicken, slaw and pies.
But...Steak & Shake is still there and in other states too!
I'm getting hungry...bye!

fatmanstl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/11/28 10:35:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SuperSec

St. Louis, MO
Hamburger Heaven for burgers, barbecue sauce on the fries and corndogs. Jack and Jill for burgers, cherry cokes, chocolate cokes and ice cream shakes and hot fudge sundaes.
Cyrano's for decadent, huge ice cream sundae creations. Oh my G-d!
Via's for pizza-thin crust; is there any other kind?
Ed's White Front for BBQ and thin, grassy style vinegar slaw.
Golden Fried Chicken for the best fried chicken, slaw and pies.
But...Steak & Shake is still there and in other states too!
I'm getting hungry...bye!

kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 827
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/11/28 16:58:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by verysleepy
I also remember, in that same area- a great ice cream parlor- where you could get a "kitchen sink". We went there for a treat on our birthdays. I think the name of it was Jan's? Also in the same area- on Nostrand and Ave. U was a great roast beef sandwich place- Brennan and Carr's? Is that still around?

The ice cream place is Jahn's. The original is (I believe) in Richmond Hill Queens and may still be open. A few copies sprang up in the city in the 60's and 70's but I doubt if any of them survived. They were a real old fashioned parlor w/ stained glass lamps and a great menu.

The only roast beef place I know of is Roll-n-Roaster on Emmonds and Nostrand. I hear they are trying to franchise the idea. You'll find a link here http://www.rollnroaster.com/
Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/12/05 23:19:50 (permalink)
Sushi G and Chewkatzie: As a Gator BA '78 I really miss Skeeters "home of the Big Biscut" and always got the Asher Special - a sick mound of good home fries with melted cheese and eggs right on top-with the big biscut on hte side- i'd say about 6" diameter and served with a honey bear squeeze bottle on side. mmm mmm good- also 1st time I ever had a georgia sausage- big link like a kielbasa-but southern style.
Wanderingjew- do you know Rascal House on Collins and 170th st in Sunny Isles(basically North Miami Beach)-not quit Wolfies but close and still serves rolls, mini danish, crumb cakes etc w/ bkfst. Worth a visit.
Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/12/05 23:30:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by peppertree

There used to be a great Pizza/Italian restaurant in North Miami called Steve's Pizza. Besides the great pizza and spaghetti this place gave a bowl of garlic rolls swimming in garlic juice along with lunches.

They have been gone for five years and I miss them.

Peppertree- do you mean the Steve's Pizza off 163rd st and 19th Ave in NMB or the 1 on Biscayne Blvd and 125th St b/c the 2nd was there a few years ago and good. There is 1 now on US-1(south Dixie Highway and about SW 180th St (jusy no of Eureka Dr)-and is good,tho not quite like the original off 19th ave. Great garlic rolls- my saturday night special(as a kid 30-35 yrs ago) Lg sausage and 1 doz garlic rolls that i'd begrugingly share with my brother
Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/12/05 23:32:39 (permalink)
Spud the RC on 163rd across from the mall-classic.

There is a Royal castle on NW 135th and NW 7th ave-crummy neighborhood but it works if nearby and thet always have Buffalo style white hots w/ grilled onions

pacman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 160
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/12/09 15:03:10 (permalink)
Hi All,

Brand new member here. I was surprised to see the post regarding the Rainbow Room @ Hess's Department Store in Allentown. I never got to go there myself, but, remember friends of my parents telling us about it. I grew up near State College, PA and when I was a kid Allentown was a LONGGGGG trip. Wish I would have gotten to go there. Alas, Hess's no longer exists they were finally bought out by Kaufmans.

I don't have a lot of time to post right now, but, will be coming up with some names from the past later. Anybody, familiar with Central PA or have any questions, post and we'll see what we can come up with.

Later,
Dan
pacman
Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/12/09 15:06:05 (permalink)
Hey Wingandaprayer,

I already posted to the Hess's post you made and guess you are right about "The Patio", but, the Rainbow Room is familiar from SOME department store. Any idea who had the Rainbow Room, I know for sure I heard of it, if it wasn't Hess's who's was it.

Dan
rwschemquest
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/12/11 15:55:23 (permalink)
I stumbled on an Arthur Treachers on Brice Road in Reynoldsburg Ohio last evening and stopped. It was horrid. the place was actually called "Arthur Treachers Seafood" The chain used to operate under the name Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips.

quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

A couple of years ago, I did see an Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips place, but I can't remember where it was. I just remember being fascinated to see that at least one was still in existence, many years after I thought that they had all closed.

However, I have to say that I do not miss this fast food outfit, as I can recall severe stomach cramps after both times that I tried their food. Perhaps it was merely coincidental, but after eating there twice and getting sick twice, I was not about to tempt fate with a third visit. Some people told me that it was the Malt Vinegar that made me sick. I tend to think that a more likely cause was cooking oil that had been re-used far too many times, or perhaps just poor hygienic practices at that location (Bayonne, NJ).

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15245
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/12/11 16:38:54 (permalink)

Perhaps because of the shorter timeline, or maybe because of the higher nature of turnover in the food business it seems that the Eastern and Southern places outnumber those of the Westerners.

A couple from memory (grey foggy memory-55yrs. or more)- Pomona CA, On Holt Ave just east of Garvey...Mel's Burgers. the first I knew of of the 15 cent Burger stands. The building houses a Chinese/Viet FF now, but at least it is still there.

Wrays Drive-In at 154th and Crenshaw near El Camino College. A twin to the the drive-in used in the American Grafetti Scene where they chained the cop car to the building. Car Hops that had seen a lot of miles themselves. Great Burgers, Deep Dish Apple and Cherry Pies that were big enough to keep a H S kid happy. Each night the County Curfew time was announced over the P A and the under 16's would make a scene out of leaving...while the deputies would sit way down at the end of the row giving the kids time to clear out.

Mike Lyman's Flight Deck at what would become LAX. Before the current terminal was built the old L A Airport ran along Century Blvd from near Aviation to close to Sepulvada. It was in the style of the day a long sweeping strip-mall looking terminal. On the roof (or 2nd deck) was an observation platform and Mike Lyman's Restaurant and Bar.
We would climb the stairs, find a table in the fresh air and order something cheap like the FF and Rings, or if we had the bucks a Burger or two. I loved to hear the P A call the departure of a flight, then watch as the passengers wandered across the tarmac to the airplane and climbed the stairs, waving as they entered the plane. The triple tailed Constellations of TWA were the real beauties of the day...in the Pre-Jet era. What a fun place to eat and watch the world come and go.
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/12/15 16:06:52 (permalink)
Allentown, PA
late 50's - early 60's
My Grandfather startedSTOP n' GO. A hamburger, fries type place. This was before the McDonald's grew into a monster. I still have some of the original stationary. Think there were two locations.
Anyone remember it?
pacman
Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/12/17 11:04:16 (permalink)
Wow,

Stop N Go. I almost forgot about them. The only one I remember was in Williamsport, PA (on what is known locally as the GOLDEN STRIP) it was on the opposite corner from Long John Silvers. I think I only got in there once or twice. But, remember it was pretty good. At least in the opinion of a kid around 10 or so, at the time.

I do remember that people complained and either PennDot or the Township made them change their sign to a steady light rather than flashing back and forth from red to green. It was located in a VERY busy intersection and caused much confusion.

Dan
quote:
Originally posted by dendan

Allentown, PA
late 50's - early 60's
My Grandfather started STOP n' GO. A hamburger, fries type place. This was before the McDonald's grew into a monster. I still have some of the original stationary. Think there were two locations.
Anyone remember it?

garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2004/12/30 23:49:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ardee

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

Frisches's Big Boy. Geez, it's been so long I think I've even spelled the name wrong.

Frisch's Big Boy Restaurants are alive and well, but can only be found in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana. The other Big Boy Restaurants, Elias Bros, Elby's, etc, aren't doing too well since the parent corporation declared bankruptcy a couple of years ago, but there are several of them still around as well.

I live in Michigan but real close to the Indiana-Michigan statline, Azar's Big Boys were in Indiana and Elias Brothers were in Michigan,

The Elias were NEVER as good as the Azar's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Azar's are gone, but Elias are still around and very pricy for what You get!
Unknown Cavalier
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/01/03 19:29:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hungovergourmet

Getting started on issue #8 of The Hungover Gourmet and it'll have a special section on places that are going or gone. I'd love to have some contributions from the folks here at Roadfood. If you're interested in finding out more, drop me a line at editor@hungovergourmet.com.

My favorite place that's no longer there? The Howard Johnson's in Willingboro, NJ. Probably twice a month my parents would take my brothers and me there for the Friday night all-you-can-eat fish fry. Big pieces of flounder drenched in bread crumbs and fried. Aw, my mouth's watering just thinking about it. I think that's where I developed my life-long devotion to tartar sauce!

I remember the Concord Pike site on US Route 202. That was my Sunday hangout as a young kid; the food just couldn't be beat. Too bad the place had to get taken over by the Hollywood Grille; that is just downright gross now.
Unknown Cavalier
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/01/03 19:50:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pacman

Wow,

Stop N Go. I almost forgot about them. The only one I remember was in Williamsport, PA (on what is known locally as the GOLDEN STRIP) it was on the opposite corner from Long John Silvers. I think I only got in there once or twice. But, remember it was pretty good. At least in the opinion of a kid around 10 or so, at the time.

I do remember that people complained and either PennDot or the Township made them change their sign to a steady light rather than flashing back and forth from red to green. It was located in a VERY busy intersection and caused much confusion.

Dan

quote:
Originally posted by dendan

Allentown, PA
late 50's - early 60's
My Grandfather started STOP n' GO. A hamburger, fries type place. This was before the McDonald's grew into a monster. I still have some of the original stationary. Think there were two locations.
Anyone remember it?

The two sites of Stop N Go that I remember were Williamsport, Pennsylvania, and Pottsville, Pennsylvania. I do remember eating in the Pottsville site; it was very good. McDonald's is a good burger establishment, depending on the site; however, my all time favorite is Johnny Rocket's. I just love their chili cheeseburgers along with a cherry coke. I eat at Johnny rocket's whenever I'm in Atlantic City, Franklin Mills Mall, or Christiana Mall
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1154
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/01/03 19:58:51 (permalink)
I can't remember whether I posted to this thread, since it's 8 pages already (ah, we're all so sentimental!!), but I'm trying to remember a family-type restaurant called O'Boyle's that my parents used to take me and my brothers to. I believe it was on Business Route 1 going through the Penndel area in lower Bucks County, PA. They also had an amusement park or at least a roller coaster to the back of the restaurant! (outside, not inside)I tried looking it up online and only got much older historic information about Bucks County. I wish my memory was clearer about it, but I was only about 5 (1959). I do remember liking their food! (and of course my brothers turning their eyelids inside out while I was eating)
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/01/20 10:26:24 (permalink)
I miss these:

Florida--Kapok Tree, Sand Dollar for almond fried shrimp

Chicago area--Forum cafeteria, Little Corporal, 99 cent steak dinners on every corner, Come Back Inn, Hot Shoppe cafeteria on South Torrence, with wonderful nut cream pies

Bloomington-Normal--Bob Johnson's, L'Orient, Pepe Guiseppe's
yogi bear
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/01/24 20:46:18 (permalink)
has anyone talked about york steak house yet
NYSteakLover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/01/31 09:54:26 (permalink)
The two best hamburger joints ever are no longer with us.

Double Hex in Manchester, VT. The Big John cooked by John (the owner) himself just outside his family living room was incredible. The only drawback was the Hunts ketchup. The family sold it in the 90's but a number of successive owners couldn't hold a candle to it.

There was a burger joint in lower Manhattan that closed in the late 80's. It was on a small alley between the American Stock Exchange and the NYU business school (Thames Street?). I can't remember the name of it but everything about the place was classic Roadfood.
rwschemquest
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/01/31 10:30:03 (permalink)
Still some York Steakhouses around. One near me is on West Broad Street in Columbus. Haven't been inside one in years...they were horrid establishments. I just don't think a steak should ever be cooked in the presence of cafeteria trays. When I was in College in 1970 (Syracuse University), the food service staff decided to give us a treat an set up half barrels outside to charcoal grill steaks and the morons started the fire with gasoline and the steaks reaked of the smell of gas and you couldn't eat them.

Since that moment, NO steak I eat will have ever been in an establishment with cafeteria trays.
quote:
Originally posted by yogi bear

has anyone talked about york steak house yet
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/01/31 11:10:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sugarlander

I miss these:

Florida--Kapok Tree, Sand Dollar for almond fried shrimp

Chicago area--Forum cafeteria, Little Corporal, 99 cent steak dinners on every corner, Come Back Inn, Hot Shoppe cafeteria on South Torrence, with wonderful nut cream pies

Bloomington-Normal--Bob Johnson's, L'Orient, Pepe Guiseppe's

The "Kapoc Tree" was one of our most memorable dining experiences many years back. We drove over from Tampa to Clearwater on the Campbell Causeway (a BEAUTIFUL drive) yesterday and were talking about how we miss the Kapoc.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1