Tell Me About Places that are Gone

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 14
Author
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/01/31 11:23:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

quote:
Originally posted by sugarlander

I miss these:

Florida--Kapok Tree, Sand Dollar for almond fried shrimp

Chicago area--Forum cafeteria, Little Corporal, 99 cent steak dinners on every corner, Come Back Inn, Hot Shoppe cafeteria on South Torrence, with wonderful nut cream pies

Bloomington-Normal--Bob Johnson's, L'Orient, Pepe Guiseppe's

The "Kapoc Tree" was one of our most memorable dining experiences many years back. We drove over from Tampa to Clearwater on the Campbell Causeway (a BEAUTIFUL drive) yesterday and were talking about how we miss the Kapoc.

The Kapok Tree as a restaurant establishment is no longer in business, but the building is still there and in use as a Community Center type of place. At least it was several years ago, when my wife's family had a kid's birthday party there for one of my nephews.

garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/01/31 11:40:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rwschemquest

Still some York Steakhouses around. One near me is on West Broad Street in Columbus. Haven't been inside one in years...they were horrid establishments. I just don't think a steak should ever be cooked in the presence of cafeteria trays. When I was in College in 1970 (Syracuse University), the food service staff decided to give us a treat an set up half barrels outside to charcoal grill steaks and the morons started the fire with gasoline and the steaks reaked of the smell of gas and you couldn't eat them.

Since that moment, NO steak I eat will have ever been in an establishment with cafeteria trays.
quote:
Originally posted by yogi bear

has anyone talked about york steak house yet

The above post reminded me of a cafeteria that did have great steaks and trays!!

It was Bishop's Cafeteria in Scottsdale Mall in South Bend Indiana, both Bishop's and Scottsdale mall are gone!

But I know Bishops was a chain and I was wondering if Bishop's is still around?
yogi bear
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/02/03 20:44:25 (permalink)
I was a broiler chef at yorks,I cooked thousands of steaks over the years that i worked there.All served on orange trays.
Tedbear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/02/04 12:30:07 (permalink)
Here's another one that New Yorkers over the age of 50 may remember!

In Manhattan, there were several locations of the Arthur Maisel's steakhouse chain. These were definitely down-scale and oriented toward the family trade and the tourist trade, rather than being the sort of steakhouses frequented by business types on an expense account. The one that I remember (dimly) was on West 33rd or 34th St.

To promote and advertise the restaurants, Maisel's used to advertise on matchbooks, and you could knock a few bucks off of the bill by "redeeming" a certain number of these matchbooks when you paid for your meal. While I am very hazy about the price, I know that it must have been reasonable if my parents took us there, as money was pretty tight when I was a kid. I am tempted to say that it cost something like $2.99 for a steak dinner and a small piece of strawberry shortcake.

While it was definitely not gourmet, for an unsophisticated kid from Brooklyn, circa 1954, this place was a treat when we would go there a few times each year.

SRS
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/02/13 23:40:31 (permalink)
How about Smogasborgs? Are there any left? I've been trying to locate one for some time.
DinoS
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/02/14 02:48:43 (permalink)
I grew up in Muskegon, MI. There was a chain there called 'Nibble-A-Scrib-Nib'. Don't ask what what it means - I never met anyone who knew. They had 5 or 6 locations in the town.

They specialized in hamburgers, fries & the like. At least that's what I always got. Come to think of it, they had a much larger menu than a burger joint so I guess they must have served other things too. I just always had a cheeseburger, fries & a malt. They've been solely into pizza for the past 30 years. Too bad. Their burgers were very good as I recall.

DinoS
APLBASKT
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/02/16 11:35:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

quote:
Originally posted by hungovergourmet

Wow... thanks for the quick responses. I've just started posting to the forums here and I'm thoroughly impressed by the knowledge, enthusiasm and input from the group.

Do you guys mind if I use some of this input for the newsletter?

"Marine DIs on crystal meth," what a word picture THAT paints!

A favorite place of mine that's on its way out is The Pennsauken Mart in Pennsauken, NJ. It's an indoor flea market and they have this place in there called Italian Village that makes some of the best Italian hoagies in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area. There's also another place that makes incredible Philly Soft Pretzels. The Mart has a rep for beinbg a little "dirty" so the soft pretzel place is almost hermetically sealed!! They're tearing down the Mart to put up a convention and expo center.

Make sure to post a link to the newsletter so we can check it out!
APLBASKT
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/02/16 11:37:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

quote:
Originally posted by hungovergourmet

Wow... thanks for the quick responses. I've just started posting to the forums here and I'm thoroughly impressed by the knowledge, enthusiasm and input from the group.

Do you guys mind if I use some of this input for the newsletter?

"Marine DIs on crystal meth," what a word picture THAT paints!

A favorite place of mine that's on its way out is The Pennsauken Mart in Pennsauken, NJ. It's an indoor flea market and they have this place in there called Italian Village that makes some of the best Italian hoagies in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area. There's also another place that makes incredible Philly Soft Pretzels. The Mart has a rep for beinbg a little "dirty" so the soft pretzel place is almost hermetically sealed!! They're tearing down the Mart to put up a convention and expo center.

Make sure to post a link to the newsletter so we can check it out!
Cruisin4food
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/02/25 17:29:48 (permalink)
Belisle's on Chapman near Disneyland...now that is a crime. My husband and I would make a trip out of it before a day at D-Land. The biscuits and gravy were my favorite, served in a large bowl. The drink straws were taller than you when seated at the table. It's demise made way for a gagle of chain restaurants. Somewhere I have the book the wrote about the restaurant. I picked it up there before they closed. In my scrapbook, I have pages of pictures of the great food and times we had at Belisle's.
Adding to the list of gone bit not forgotten is Longfellow's (the chicken, steak and chocolate cake place). They served their meals family style, and I loved it as a kid. They were located in the San Fernando Valley. Also, The Green House in Ventura, CA. Same deal...family style. What a great type of restaurant for a picky eater. You only took what you wanted to eat. I also miss Sir George's (which I know there was one left in Arcadia) Royal Buffet. I loved to push my sister in the high chair with a tray on the front so she would hold my tray for me.
Farrell's Ice Cream parlor...I know they are making a comeback. There is still one in San Diego, and a franchise one in Santa Clarita at a mini golf fun center.
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/02/25 19:35:22 (permalink)
Has anyone mentioned Paddy's Clam House in NYC. It got mentioned on a nother thread recently.
Classic place.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/02/25 19:46:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SRS

How about Smogasborgs? Are there any left? I've been trying to locate one for some time.

What about Old Country Buffet, isn't it a smorgsboard?
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/02/25 23:14:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SRS

There was Barret's, north of Trenton, NJ, on the Delaware River! And Collegeville Inn, in Collegeville, PA! Barret's is gone; no idea about Collegeville. They weren't much more than upscale cafeterias, but when you're a kid, it's cool seeing how much steamtable fried shrimp you can stuff down!!
alexfeild
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/02/28 15:19:30 (permalink)
Hi,just wanted to know if anyone has tryed johnny O on RT 31 in oxford
new jersey,NOT hotdog johnny on RT 46.I was told that it is as good as
rutts hut ,libbiy,hot grill.They deep fry there dogs and have cold beer CAN this be true.PLEASE let me if you have tryed it.
THANKS alexfeild.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18484
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/02/28 15:25:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by garryd451

quote:
Originally posted by SRS

No, it's a buffet. The last smorgasbord place I was in was in Bellville, Ohio. It was called San Dar Smorgasbord. It shut down at least 15 years ago.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/03/01 06:38:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SRS

No, it's a buffet. The last smorgasbord place I was in was in Bellville, Ohio. It was called San Dar Smorgasbord. It shut down at least 15 years ago.

I guess I never been in a real smorgaboard, years ago we had 2 regional smorgsaboard in this area. They were Mr Smorgsaboard and Sweden House Smogsaboard.

But I don't remember any difference between them and Old Country Buffet!

Can someone, please tell me, the difference between a smorgsboard and old Country Buffet?
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/03/01 06:52:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SRS

Duff's Famous Smorgasborg in Pigeon Forge, TN.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/03/01 06:56:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

quote:
Originally posted by SRS

Duff's Famous Smorgasborg in Pigeon Forge, TN.

The Duff's I have been to, were just like Old Country Buffet
carlton pierre
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/03/01 07:13:16 (permalink)
Garry, how many Duff's have you been to? Where? The one in Pigeon Forge is the only one left that I know of.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/03/01 08:02:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

Garry, how many Duff's have you been to? Where? The one in Pigeon Forge is the only one left that I know of.

Back in the early 1980's they had 2 Duff's in South bend Indiana and one in Kalmazoo Michigan. They were opened for about 5 years!

The food were great at all 3, but was the same kind of food that Old Country Buffet has today.
carlton pierre
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/03/01 08:40:51 (permalink)
There were a couple in the Cincinnati area and right after they built a new huge restaurant in Fairfield it closed and was taken over by the city and to this day houses the municipal courts and other city agencies.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4591
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/03/01 09:45:39 (permalink)
Anyone ever experience a "overstuffed sandwich" place called the Upper Krust?

Building facade was all yellow. I remember this from the early 70's in Cincinnati in the Reading/Sharonville area
rwschemquest
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/03/01 10:45:58 (permalink)
I was hoping someone would respond with a definition of smorgasbord vs. buffet, not an example. What are the attributes of each that would distinguish one from the other????

I personally don't frequent buffet type establishments. I prefer someplace with a real chef. I once stopped at a Golden Corall that was offering "steak" as part of their choices. It was horrid. Burned beyond recognition and about the thickness of a cheap hamburger. A STEAK should never be less than about 1 inch thick at the very least and should never ever ever be cooked more than medium rare. It is a crime to do that to a piece of dead cow!!!
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SRS

I guess I never been in a real smorgaboard, years ago we had 2 regional smorgsaboard in this area. They were Mr Smorgsaboard and Sweden House Smogsaboard.

But I don't remember any difference between them and Old Country Buffet!

Can someone, please tell me, the difference between a smorgsboard and old Country Buffet?
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 828
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/03/01 11:22:22 (permalink)
If there's herring and smoked eel, it's a smorgasbord, otherwise it's a buffet.
If it's run by a guy named Lief or Erick, it's a smorgasbord, otherwise it's a buffet.
If the server has a pointy metal hat with horns, it's a smorgasbord, otherwise it's a buffet.
If the funeral crowd comes in and they smell like a burnt ship, it's a smorgasbord, otherwise it's a buffet.

I'm really not sure if there is a difference; but I would assume if the cuisine was Nordic you'd call it a smorgasbord.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/03/01 12:09:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kozel

If there's herring and smoked eel, it's a smorgasbord, otherwise it's a buffet.
If it's run by a guy named Lief or Erick, it's a smorgasbord, otherwise it's a buffet.
If the server has a pointy metal hat with horns, it's a smorgasbord, otherwise it's a buffet.
If the funeral crowd comes in and they smell like a burnt ship, it's a smorgasbord, otherwise it's a buffet.

I'm really not sure if there is a difference; but I would assume if the cuisine was Nordic you'd call it a smorgasbord.

Thanks for the definition, that means all the smorgaboards I went to int the 1950's and 1960's were really, just buffets, thanks agaon

Garry
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/03/01 12:15:09 (permalink)
What about "Dutch Pantry"? Was that place just a figment of my imagination? I keep picturing this restaurant sign with a little dutch girl.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18484
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/03/01 12:18:23 (permalink)
A smorgasbord is a buffet that consists of a variety of cold and hot foods. The word smorgasbord means bread and butter and open-faced sandwich. It also means an extensive variety of foods, with an emphasis on fish.

rwschemquest
Hamburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/03/02 04:54:07 (permalink)
Dutch Panty is gone, but remembered. They were as you described and I remember they had these little peg games on each table and you could buy them too. Had Amish roots I believe. There was one in Twinsburg OHIO when I lived there in the 1980's and they were common fixtures along the interstates in OHIO and PA at least. One building remains south of Columbus off I71 that is a strip joint now.

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

What about "Dutch Pantry"? Was that place just a figment of my imagination? I keep picturing this restaurant sign with a little dutch girl.
forestfirefighter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/03/14 18:12:25 (permalink)
From a "Dutch Panty" to a strip joint........who'd a guessed ?
rwschemquest
Hamburger
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/03/14 19:28:38 (permalink)
Sure no chain involved, but was traveling to upstate NY for business last week and had dinner at what was obviously an old diner (probobly even an Airstream Trailer at one time) that is now a pretty decent upscale eclectic American/French restaurant called Chez Sophie just south of Saratoga Springs on NY Rt. 9. Was even written up with a very good review in NYC papers. The old stainless steel area behind the counter is now the bar and they have the old counter (seats were gone though) used as a display for the featured wines. Not a very big place and pretty pricey, but the food was wonderful. I have a great duck breast dish that was prepared perfectly as medium rare as duck should always be. Was worth every bit of the $32 price tag. Wine list was pretty good too.
GeoNit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 378
RE: Tell Me About Places that are Gone 2005/03/17 13:47:05 (permalink)
Looking for a California SMORGAASBORD, hit the linky below!

http://www.solvangUSA.com
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1