The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Tell me it aint so, Ladybird!!!

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
Tell me it aint so, Ladybird!!! Tue, 06/21/05 2:52 PM (permalink)
As an avid cookbook reader, i came accross one at the library Called--"The First Ladies Cookbook---Favorite recipes of all the Presidents of the United States"---it says it is 'compiled and edited by outstanding culinary and historical authorities"from GMG publishing. Well---imagine my surprise with this recipe from the Johnson administration------ Pedernales River Chili
4 lbs chili meat
8 T bacon drippings
1 large onion,chopped
1 t oregano
1 t comino seed
i string dried mushrooms 6 t chili powder 1 1/2 cups canned whole tomatoes 2-6 dashes liguid hot pepper sauce
salt to taste 2 cups water
AND---------2 no 2 cans of KIDNEY BEANS!!!!!!!!

Now i know that we may not all have shared the man's political beliefs---but---come on folks--a TEXAN's favorite recipe for chili with BEANS!!!! Can this be so!

This has GOT to have been editied by someone from NEW YORK CITY!---i just have a hard time picturing Ladybird stirring in canned beans to her pot of Texas Red!!!

BTW--according to this--Harry Truman could well have been a true roadfooder---favorite meal--Meatloaf,with tuna noodle casserole made with a white sauce and Ozark Pudding for dessert!---and George Washington was a big fan of chess pie!

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
    RE: Tell me it aint so, Ladybird!!! Tue, 06/21/05 3:03 PM (permalink)
    Well, kidney beans is weird. THIS Texan doesn't mind some pintos in his chili, but kidneys? Bleah.

Frankly, I'm more puzzled by the string of dried mushrooms. I'm not even sure what that IS!

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
      RE: Tell me it aint so, Ladybird!!! Tue, 06/21/05 3:05 PM (permalink)
      From a bio of Mrs. LBJ....

"Christened Claudia Alta Taylor when she was born in a country mansion near Karnack, Texas...."

Never heard of the place, but thought it might shed some light. Or, maybe not.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
        RE: Tell me it aint so, Ladybird!!! Tue, 06/21/05 3:24 PM (permalink)
        Pedernales (pronounced "per du nal es" here in central Texas) River Chili is famous. It was LBJ's favorite. The preferred meat was venison in the recipes I always read.

The "oregano" was Mexican, not Italian. I've never been able to find a definitive difference in the two plants, but I'm told there is. I was told a long time ago to use marjoram when a chili recipe called for oregano, so that's what I always do.

I've also never heard of using mushrooms in this recipe. I think Lady Bird was playing a joke when she submitted that to the First Ladies Cookbook.

Here's the "official" recipe from the LBJ Library, but it's slightly different from the first PRC recipe I read back in the 70's.

http://www.lbjlib.utexas.edu/johnson/archives.hom/FAQs/Recipes/chili.asp

Bushie

RE: Tell me it aint so, Ladybird!!! Tue, 06/21/05 4:18 PM (permalink)
          tiki, I've been consulting some various sources for the PRC recipe (including an old newspaper column dated Oct 13, 1976 - the first time I'd read it), and NONE of them include beans.

As stated before, I think Lady Bird must have been funnin' those folks in DC. Ya done been hoodwinked, buddy.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
            RE: Tell me it aint so, Ladybird!!! Tue, 06/21/05 4:48 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Bushie

tiki, I've been consulting some various sources for the PRC recipe (including an old newspaper column dated Oct 13, 1976 - the first time I'd read it), and NONE of them include beans.

As stated before, I think Lady Bird must have been funnin' those folks in DC. Ya done been hoodwinked, buddy.

The more i think about this situation---and from what i know of New York Publishers and thier editors---i am willing to bet that those beans were added by THEM! I know that i have long been a fan of MRS Johnson---(more then of her husband!!) and i truly find it hard to believe that SHE put beans in her chili!

Checked out the recipe from your link!!--Think i will trust that one! Thanks Bushie!

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
              RE: Tell me it aint so, Ladybird!!! Tue, 06/21/05 5:34 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Bushie

The "oregano" was Mexican, not Italian. I've never been able to find a definitive difference in the two plants, but I'm told there is. I was told a long time ago to use marjoram when a chili recipe called for oregano, so that's what I always do.

From the most authoritative source I know on spices, www.penzeys.com :

"Mediterranean and Mexican oregano are two different plants, but because they are used in the same way and have a somewhat similar flavor they are both called oregano. Mediterranean oregano grows wild on the hilly mountainsides of southern Europe and is an essential ingredient in so many of the dishes from the region. For Italian spaghetti sauces to Greek salads to Turkish kebobs, the sweet, strong flavor of Mediterranean oregano is perfect. Our travel to this area has allowed us to import some wonderful Turkish Oregano, the best Mediterranean Oregano we've seen in years. Mexican oregano is stronger and less sweet, well-suited to the spicy, hot, cumin-flavored dishes of Mexico and Central America- perfect for chili and salsa. Both types of oregano should be added in the beginning of cooking, so the flavor has time to come out and meld with the other flavors of the dish. Add while browning onions or beef for both spaghetti sauce and chili."

This fits in with my own experiences. Mediterranean oregano has an almost minty sweetness to it that Mexican oregano lacks. I've never heard of using marjoram as a substitute for Mexican oregano, but that makes perfect sense to me.

Bushie

RE: Tell me it aint so, Ladybird!!! Tue, 06/21/05 6:06 PM (permalink)
                Cool. Thanks, LB!

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                  RE: Tell me it aint so, Ladybird!!! Sat, 06/25/05 2:32 PM (permalink)
                  maybe its the shrooms that made her add the beans, a president who admits (ok who's wife admits) to usin shrooms, much better than one who SAYS he didn't inhale.............

olphart

• Total Posts: 289
                    RE: Tell me it aint so, Ladybird!!! Sat, 06/25/05 5:21 PM (permalink)
                    I don’t know who the shipdit is who started this “ a real Texan don’t eat beans in his chili” nonsense, but it just ain’t so. This thirdgenTexan prefers beans in his chili, and kidneys will do just nicely, thankyouverymuch.

John B

RE: Tell me it aint so, Ladybird!!! Sat, 06/25/05 7:49 PM (permalink)
                      This Texan doesn't really mind beans in the chili but I do prefer it without beans. I also think it must have been those folks in NEW YORK CITY who added the beans! Karnack is in East Texas and a very beautiful area of the great state of Texas.

paoconnell

• Total Posts: 71
                        RE: Tell me it aint so, Ladybird!!! Sat, 06/25/05 8:34 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by John B

This Texan doesn't really mind beans in the chili but I do prefer it without beans. I also think it must have been those folks in NEW YORK CITY who added the beans!

To quote an old Pace Picante commercial, "Git a rope"!

That said, everyone in Texas has their own recipe for chili. Same with New Mexicans and green chile stew (every family recipe is different), or a "bowl of red," which is not the same as Texas chili.

twodales

• Total Posts: 205
                          RE: Tell me it aint so, Ladybird!!! Sat, 06/25/05 10:56 PM (permalink)
                          Hey Tiki. My folks had that cookbook in their library and I remember looking through it as a kid over and over. (Guess I've always been a road-fooder from day 1.)

I remember my Dad looking all over Ensenada Mexico for the secret ingredient, "Comino", which he finally found. It was all quite a fuss! He was so happy to find the stuff and coddled it all the way back to Chicago. Upon our return from vacation he and my Mom cooked up a pot. Eventually, the light bulb went off and everyone realized that "Cumin" was available in our local grocery.

But to this day, I always put cumin seeds in my chili.

Bonzmoose

• Total Posts: 44
                            RE: Tell me it aint so, Ladybird!!! Sun, 06/26/05 12:09 AM (permalink)
                            As an avid cookbook collector I have noticed that many regional cookbooks, expecially those published by local Junior Leagues, have a recipe for Pedernales River Chili submitted by Mrs Lyndon B Johnson, LBJ Ranch, Texas. The first one I found PRC in was A COOKS TOUR OF SHREVEPORT first published by the JL of Shreveport in 1964 with many editions in the ensuing years. The recipe for PRC is almost identical to the one given on the LBJ Library website with the exception of calling for 2 cans of Ro-tel tomatoes instead of 2 cans of whole tomatoes and deleting the dashes of hot sauce. Ro-tel, a brand of canned tomatoes with green chiles added to give them a kick, would negate the use of hot sauce. There is no mention of beans in this recipe. However, I have to agree with "olphart", some Texans (and non-Texans) prefer beans in their chili. I have several Texas cookbooks with many recipes for chili, some with and some without beans. I can't remember ever seeing a recipe with mushrooms as an ingredient!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com