Temperature for cooking pizza

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
2005/05/30 07:09:00 (permalink)

Temperature for cooking pizza

I have been experimenting with cooking my own pizza. I have ask around and I have found that there is a huge variation for the proper temp for baking a pizza. I found one group that did it in about 4 minutes at close to 800 degrees and others that do it slow at 350F. I am puzzeled and I have always been afraid of burning the rascals. I would appreciate any input that some of you have had success with.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

10 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6763
    RE: Temperature for cooking pizza 2005/05/30 08:26:27 (permalink)
    In my experiences in Italy and elsewhere, the key to making good pizza is a HOT HOT HOT oven. The brick ovens are ready for baking around 550-600 degrees. Now, this is for a thin crust pizza (which is the only kind served in Europe, or that I was subject to). A deep-dish pizza would certainly not fare so well under such high temps.
    Other factors come into play with pizza.......are you using a wood-fired oven, a convection oven, a standard oven, or your grill? Presuming that you are using a standard oven, you will need a pizza stone and crank that oven up as high as it will go, with the stone in. Heat it for at least 30 mins. then slide your pizza onto the stone and just monitor it, turning it with a paddle so it bakes evenly.
    In the restaurants we have gas-fired pizza ovens or wood-burning ovens and they do produce lovely pizzas. I think that Grampy may have more knowledge on baking pizza at home.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Temperature for cooking pizza 2005/05/30 08:36:07 (permalink)
    Thanks Leechef. I bought the pizza stone about a year ago and I have found that preheating it at a higher temp works for me. I had not tried taking it as high as you indicated. I will do that the next time.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Temperature for cooking pizza 2005/05/30 08:44:11 (permalink)
    My Pizza Oven stays at 450,I use it for everything like garlic bread and baked dishes,My pizza turns out just fine,It dont take long to burn a pizza at 550 or more.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Temperature for cooking pizza 2005/05/30 09:49:47 (permalink)
    When cooking commercially in a brick oven, we kept it at 500 degrees.. Took about 10 or so minutes for an average crust pizza to cook thru. At home, I normally set it to 425 with great results.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: Temperature for cooking pizza 2005/05/30 11:08:24 (permalink)
    Sundancer:
    Pizza........ Yes, I love it, and make it all the time. My pizza dough is from scratch .... Basic bread flour, water, yeast and a pinch of salt period nothing else. I like the flour to be high in gluten, I also like my dough to sit in the refrigerator over night ........... I use a standard GE electric over that reachers 550 degrees. as lleechef said the hotter the better. In my next life I will defiantly get a convection oven.
    A pizza stone is a plus and is simple and cheap to get at your local Home Depot. I buy the largest terra-cotta tile they have 12" to 16" about a $1 buck to $1.50 each......... Yes, I'm talking about the old regular stepping stone tiles one would use for a patio. I had them cut a few tiles so that the tiles would cover one of my oven shelfs completely, but that is not necessary. For starters a 12" tile will work well as you experiment. Always put your pizza tile in a cold oven and then crank up the heat or the tiles may crack.........
    Sundancer....... Pizza is such a fun food to make from scratch, keep working at it and you will find that your pizza will become the best.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: Temperature for cooking pizza 2005/05/30 17:22:47 (permalink)
    From what I've read, wood and coal fired pizza ovens are around 800-950 degrees and thin crust pizzas are done in a matter of minutes.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Temperature for cooking pizza 2005/05/30 17:59:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

Sundancer:
    Pizza........ Yes, I love it, and make it all the time. My pizza dough is from scratch .... Basic bread flour, water, yeast and a pinch of salt period nothing else. I like the flour to be high in glucose, I also like my dough to sit in the refrigerator over night ........... I use a standard GE electric over that reachers 550 degrees. as lleechef said the hotter the better. In my next life I will defiantly get a convection oven.
    A pizza stone is a pulse and is simple and cheap to get at your local Home Depot. I buy the largest terra-cotta tile they have 12" to 16" about a $1 buck to $1.50 each......... Yes, I'm talking about the old regular stepping stone tiles one would use for a patio. I had them cut a few tiles so that the tiles would cover one of my oven shelfs completely, but that is not necessary. For starters a 12" tile will work well as you experiment. Always put your pizza tile in a cold oven and then crank up the heat or the tiles may crack.........
    Sundancer....... Pizza is such a fun food to make from scratch, keep working at it and you will find that your pizza will become the best.

"I like the flour to be high in glucose..."

Do you mean high in gluten?
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Temperature for cooking pizza 2005/05/30 18:02:53 (permalink)
    Look no further:

http://pizzatherapy.com/
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: Temperature for cooking pizza 2005/05/30 18:06:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Adjudicator Posted - 05/30/2005 : 17:59:46
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I like the flour to be high in glucose..."

Do you mean high in gluten?

hahahaahahah........... yes ! I did mean gluten............. thanks for the correction

I will have to learn not to trust my spell checker............. I'll go back and change it now. I see other words that didn't belong like (pulse) instead of plus ....... thanks again

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Temperature for cooking pizza 2005/05/30 19:48:56 (permalink)
    Thanks all for the info. I am truly a amateur and I appreciate knowledge for Lleechef and ADJ. Obviously, the hotter the better. I got the rock and I will improve my skills thanks to all who have posted.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1