The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Wed, 06/3/09 8:17 AM (permalink)

Yes, yet another "Best of..." list.  HOWEVER, this one,

courtesy of Travel + Leisure magazine seems pretty darn good, FYI:

http://www.ibtimes.com/contents/20090527/10-best-lobster-shacks-maine.htm

Tony Bad

Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Wed, 06/3/09 8:27 AM (permalink)
    That IS a good list!  

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3662
      Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Wed, 06/3/09 9:14 AM (permalink)
      Now that is one of the best lists that I have seen.  I have been to seven out of the ten.  Wish that I was leaving for Maine right now!

Ivyhouse

• Total Posts: 329
        Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Wed, 06/3/09 9:42 AM (permalink)
        I've only been to two out of ten.  Guess I have to get cracking.....  Sorry, couldn't resist!

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
          Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Wed, 06/3/09 10:22 AM (permalink)
          How about good places to get a lobster roll outside of New England. I'm not going to be there for a while. :( Anything in the mid-Atlantic?
          <message edited by divefl on Wed, 06/3/09 10:30 AM>

i95

Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Wed, 06/3/09 10:38 AM (permalink)
            divefl

How about good places to get a lobster rool outside of New England. I'm not going to be there for a while. :( Anything in the mid-Atlantic?

Dude, have you not been here...

...the Tackle Box in the old Georgetown Bagelry location in Washington, D.C. and with a lobster roll hailed as a "classic" by The Washington Post as well as one with "good chunks of meat, a little mayo and no filler (and) served on a toasted potato bun"?

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
              Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Wed, 06/3/09 4:37 PM (permalink)
              I NEED 2 Maine lobsters NOW!

divefl

Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Wed, 06/3/09 5:04 PM (permalink)
                Thanks much.

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                  Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Wed, 06/3/09 6:03 PM (permalink)
                  Five Islands is the best, both in terms of quality and view!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17817
                    Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Wed, 06/3/09 7:24 PM (permalink)
                    sk bob

I NEED 2 Maine lobsters NOW!

So go to the supermarket and buy a couple.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                      Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Wed, 06/3/09 11:18 PM (permalink)
                      I am so excited that Shaw's in New Harbor is on that list. I have many happy memories there with my aunt who live just a couple of miles away.  Not far from Red's Eats and the Pemaquid Point lighthouse.  One of the most beautiful views in the country, for me.

Tony Bad

Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Wed, 06/3/09 11:38 PM (permalink)
                        i95

(You know, across Wisconsin Avenue from The Travelin Man's must stop when he's in the nation's capital?)

Back in my days down that way, they did have a good lunch. really...they did.

<message edited by Tony Bad on Mon, 06/8/09 9:33 AM>

i95

Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Thu, 06/4/09 7:05 AM (permalink)
                          Isn't that where you met Mrs. Bad ?

douginvirginia

• Total Posts: 462
                            Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Thu, 06/4/09 7:20 AM (permalink)
                            While I've had the pleasure of enjoying several of those spots, in many trips to Deer Isle over the the last 15 years I never new about the Bagaduce in Brooksville. I can assure you that will be corrected in late July !

Thanks for the post.

Tony Bad

Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Thu, 06/4/09 8:20 AM (permalink)
                              i95

Isn't that where you met Mrs. Bad ?

No, that was over at Camelot. She hung out there with Mayor Barry.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                                Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Thu, 06/4/09 12:09 PM (permalink)
                                Tony Bad

i95

(You know, across Wisconsin Avenue from The Travelin Man's must stop when he's in the nation's capital?)

I heard a story about a guy striking out there with a fist full of fifties.

edited by mod to disable link
                                <message edited by Tony Bad on Mon, 06/8/09 9:34 AM>

i95

Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Mon, 06/8/09 7:57 AM (permalink)

Tony Bad

i95

Where the heck is the ORIGINAL post containing the "Wisconsin

Avenue" text imbedded in Tony Bad's post above?

I wanted to add an addendum having visited this

same, now missing restaurant yesterday and...

...it's gone. What's up wit' 'dat?????

<message edited by i95 on Mon, 06/8/09 7:58 AM>

Tony Bad

Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Mon, 06/8/09 9:45 AM (permalink)
                                    Here is your post again, with link to a certain adult oriented location deleted...it had been deleted because of said link, but I pulled from trash heap...cleaned off some personal attacks, and a few pieces of spam, and here she is...good as new...minus link to said adult establishment...

i95

divefl

How about good places to get a lobster rool outside of New England. I'm not going to be there for a while. :( Anything in the mid-Atlantic?

...the Tackle Box in the old Georgetown Bagelry location in Washington, D.C. and with a lobster roll hailed as a "classic" by The Washington Post as well as one with "good chunks of meat, a little mayo and no filler (and) served on a toasted potato bun"?  

divefl

Thanks much. 

Truth is, I have yet to order the lobster roll at this M Street haunt but I have twice ordered grilled fish at the Tackle Box and both times it was fantastic. Speaking of great grilled fish in DC, have you checked-out Surfside north of Georgetown and in the old, original Austin Grill location (2444 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20007, 202 / 337-0004)? (You know, across Wisconsin Avenue from The Travelin Man's must stop when he's in the nation's capital?) 

In addition to it also serving up great, simple and unadorned grilled seafood fare, it has a fabulous rooftop deck open for dining. (It's also my understanding that the proprietor of such opened up some empty lot / make-shift version of Surfside across from the Washington Nationals' new park and which I hope to check out this weekend.)

<message edited by Tony Bad on Mon, 06/8/09 11:05 AM>

divefl

Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Mon, 06/8/09 10:30 AM (permalink)
                                      Thanks Tony. I love fish, good to hear that I can bribe people to go with me by selling the roof. Not this week as DC has become a rain forest, but when the skies clear.

i95

Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Mon, 06/8/09 12:39 PM (permalink)
                                        Tony Bad

Here is your post again, with link to a certain adult oriented location deleted...it had been deleted because of said link, but I pulled from trash heap...cleaned off some personal attacks, and a few pieces of spam, and here she is...good as new...minus link to said adult establishment...

i95

divefl

...the Tackle Box in the old Georgetown Bagelry location in Washington, D.C. and with a lobster roll hailed as a "classic" by The Washington Post as well as one with "good chunks of meat, a little mayo and no filler (and) served on a toasted potato bun"?  

divefl

Thanks much. 

Truth is, I have yet to order the lobster roll at this M Street haunt but I have twice ordered grilled fish at the Tackle Box and both times it was fantastic. Speaking of great grilled fish in DC, have you checked-out Surfside north of Georgetown and in the old, original Austin Grill location (2444 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20007, 202 / 337-0004)? (You know, across Wisconsin Avenue from The Travelin Man's must stop when he's in the nation's capital?) 

In addition to it also serving up great, simple and unadorned grilled seafood fare, it has a fabulous rooftop deck open for dining. (It's also my understanding that the proprietor of such opened up some empty lot / make-shift version of Surfside across from the Washington Nationals' new park and which I hope to check out this weekend.)

Thanks, Tony B! You da' man! And darn that Travelin Man with his adult-oriented hyperlinks! Anyhoo and ABOUT Surfside's satellite operations across from the main entrance of DC's Nationals Park (home of your worst place in all of MLB Washington Nationals): I went there yesterday and while their "Bullpen" set-up is serving tacos, their scrumptious FISH tacos are not amongst them (just beef or chicken), FYI.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                          Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Mon, 06/8/09 1:22 PM (permalink)
                                          So, can I assume that you were at Nationals Park to bear witness to the thrashing administered by Livan Hernandez and the rest of the New York "Thank God for the Nationals or We'd be Below .500" Mets???

i95

Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Mon, 06/8/09 1:45 PM (permalink)
                                            The Travelin Man

So, can I assume that you were at Nationals Park to bear witness to the thrashing administered by Livan Hernandez and the rest of the New York "Thank God for the Nationals or We'd be Below .500" Mets???

Dude, it was five-to-zero in the TOP of the first inning. I'm not proud to admit that at that precise point, I gave serious thought to leaving, more maximizing my day and cutting my lawn.

Woe is having a .273 winning percentage.

The Travelin Man

Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Mon, 06/8/09 1:52 PM (permalink)
                                              I was driving back from Atlanta last night and, for some unknown reason, XM radio aired the entire Nats post-game call-in show.  For some further unknown reason, I chose to listen to it.  If I were Manny Acta, I'd be wary of a group showing up on my lawn with torches.

BUT....You are gonna like the guy that they take with the #1 pick in the draft tomorrow.  No kidding.  He'll be pitching in DC by next spring.  Guaranteed (barring injury, of course).

i95

Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Mon, 06/8/09 2:03 PM (permalink)

The only problem with that is that the

Nats have not exactly had the best of luck

in signing their draft picks. Can you say?:

The Travelin Man

Re:Ten Best Maine Lobster Shacks Mon, 06/8/09 2:08 PM (permalink)
                                                  Trust me.  Strassburg will make you forget about Crow.  Ironically, on the call-in show that I heard yesterday, one of the callers actually suggested that the Nationals consider taking Crow with their replacement pick from not signing him last year.  Huh?  Aside from the fact that the guy won't be around - that kind of logic just makes me wonder if you Nats fans are smoking the dope.

Oh, and I hear that Stephen Strassburg really likes lobster (I would hate to derail a thread), and after tomorrow, can afford to buy for all of us at the next Roadfood meet-up.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com