The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Tenderizing steaks with kosher salt?

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
Tenderizing steaks with kosher salt? Sun, 09/15/13 8:42 PM (permalink)
I don't know how legit this is but I'm willing to give it a try and see if it works. Here's a link.
http://www.steamykitchen....ucci-prime-steaks.html
In a nutshell she advocates sprinkling a fair amount of kosher or sea salt on both sides of a raw steak and letting it sit one hour per inch of thickness. Then after sitting the correct amount of time rinsing the steak thoroughly and drying it thoroughly and immediately grilling.
She says the steak is noticeably more tender but not overly salty as most of the salt is rinsed off. I'm ready to try it because yesterday we had some very tough NY Strip steaks from publix and that's not the first time .There are no meat markets in this area that I'm aware of and I probably couldn't afford them if there were.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Tenderizing steaks with kosher salt? Mon, 09/16/13 5:14 PM (permalink)
    CES - It is a legit way to tenderize CHEAP or tough cuts, there is a chemical reaction in which the meat takes in a certain amount of the salt and the salt draws moisture from the meats thus beginning to break down the protein.

You will want to use Kosher Salt or Coarse Sea Salt when doing this, don't sprinkle, COAT each side with the salt leave on cutting board at room temp for "tenderizing" time (1 hour per inch thick)

After tenderizing time, thouroughly wash the salt from the meat.  The procede to cook or store/freeze

In doing this you will see your salt crust go from crunchy to gooey and a fair amount of the juices will start to seep to the top or out from under your steak (This is a good thing)

Enjoy

PS - You usually dont have to do this with a good quality steak, but like CES a cheaper cut and a tougher cut will work wonderfully

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
      Re:Tenderizing steaks with kosher salt? Tue, 09/17/13 1:30 AM (permalink)
      Thanks for the advice Cajun, I'll be giving a try very soon. I wonder if this same method would work on Pock Chops?

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Tenderizing steaks with kosher salt? Fri, 09/20/13 6:52 PM (permalink)
        it should, it basically breaks down the protein in the meat

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com