Tenderloin help, please... .

Author
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
2007/01/26 22:29:47 (permalink)

Tenderloin help, please... .

I would like some ideas for a tenderloin. For the first time in over 20 years straight, I am without my precious grill. I'm not fond of pan-fried or broiled...but I'll do what I have to. Any help out there? Please?

9 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Tenderloin help, please... . 2007/01/26 22:31:16 (permalink)
    A WHOLE tenderloin, or some steaks?
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 667
    RE: Tenderloin help, please... . 2007/01/26 22:34:54 (permalink)
    Sorry. A steak...one about an inch thick.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Tenderloin help, please... . 2007/01/26 23:15:41 (permalink)
    Well. With no grill and assuming you want it rare... Season to your standards and sear in a red HOT cast iron pan for 5 minutes. Do not turn over. Then, turn steak over and finish (roast) in same pan in a preheated oven, for 5 minutes @ 425 degrees. Let rest for 5-6 minutes before eating. For medium rare, roast in oven for seven minutes. Anything more cooked than that; I don't do. All other times remain the same. YUM-YUM!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Tenderloin help, please... . 2007/01/26 23:19:00 (permalink)
    Duh. And OF COURSE may I be the first to welcome you to Road Food. You will probably like MOST of us...
    Theedge
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Tenderloin help, please... . 2007/02/02 09:54:42 (permalink)
    Here is a link ot a thread that might help you out. I don't know, I think it's hard to beat Tenderloin made with a stove and butter.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10369
    sheam907
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Tenderloin help, please... . 2007/02/06 22:09:38 (permalink)
    I use to be a ribeye lover, but the marbled fat became a health concern as I get older. I then found a bone-in filet mignon at the website Gourmet Grocery Online www.gourmetgroceryonline.com . The bone-in filet had as much flavor as a ribeye. Plus the bone make a great plate presentation.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4276
    RE: Tenderloin help, please... . 2007/07/06 07:15:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by matilda

I would like some ideas for a tenderloin. For the first time in over 20 years straight, I am without my precious grill. I'm not fond of pan-fried or broiled...but I'll do what I have to. Any help out there? Please?

1) Get a Cuisinart "Griddler": $129 at Macy's; $89 at COSTCO or Sam's. (It has a greater range of temperature settings that any Foreman grill).

2) Buy some Charcrust "Original Hickory" rub. www.charcrust.com if your local grocery does'nt carry it.

3) Get your Choice filets from COSTCO or Sam's for $8/lb.

4) Rub your meat and let it come to room temperature.

5) Set your Cuisinart to "sear". Two minutes gets you the crust to die for. Reduce temperature to Medium, turn meat and cook to taste. Medium rare takes three minutes for a 1.5" 'er.

This gets you the same result as the cast-iron skillet + oven method without the smoke, grease spatter, and mess.

When we moved to Dallas an island-mounted, unvented Vulcan induction cooktop came with the house. It had replaced a downdraft unit, hence, no ventilation. One attempt at a pan-fried steak left me with choices: a series of $500 fines for false smoke alarms, a $3,000 hood, or an $89 Griddler!

By the way, I love the Vulcan induction for everything else: it gives you the same fast heat-up and control of gas without the small and occasional danger.
    salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: Tenderloin help, please... . 2008/01/06 05:07:32 (permalink)
    All right, I hope plenty read this, it's what I've been cooking for many years, got the recipe from a pretty serious book. I've never had anyone complain about it. It's called "tournedos en boite". All you need is a casserole dish. I know many will resist the idea, but I tell you it works very well, and you don't have to do hardly any work, you can just throw it in the oven and get back to your guest.

Place a pair of filets in a smallish casserole dish, after adding plenty of Dijon mustard on each side. Now, add a little salt and pepper. Chop several shallots, and place those on top of the filets. Use A LOT of shallots, more than you think you need. Let them spill off the top of the meat. Now, place a lot of butter, like a tablespoon at least on top of the steak/shallot tower. Dump plenty of Worchestershire sauce, about a teaspoon, on top of the butter, shallot, steak tower. Put a lid on the dish and throw it in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Then, pull the dish out and CAREFULLY, with a big slotted spoon, drain all the melted butter and juices, WITHOUT losing the shallots. This will require a helper. Turn the steaks over.
    Now, add some fresh or dried rosemary. Use less if fresh, but use your own judgment. Not more than 1/2 teaspoon fresh, nor 1 teaspoon dried. Just kind of sprinkle it on the steaks. Pour about a tablespoon of cognac on top of each steak. Put the cover back on the dish and throw it back in the oven for another fifteen minutes, no more. Check for doneness, they should be medium rare. Make sure you serve up the filets with plenty of the chopped, cooked shallots. Just use a slotted spoon to get the shallots; you don't want an excess of the juices, the shallots will carry enough.

Anybody brave enough to try this, please e-mail me directly, I'd love to hear how you like it. The only expensive parts are the filets and the cognac, and you can buy tiny bottles of cognac!

-Scott Lindgren 213 219 7160 scottlindgren@netzero.net

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Tenderloin help, please... . 2008/01/06 11:22:03 (permalink)
    Jim, thanks for the info!

There is a neat web site about the Griddler at thegriddler.com. w/ details and lotsa recipes. I might have to break down and get one.

I love my Delonghi indoor grill mostly because it has a glass lid. I claim it cooks as good as an outdoor gas grill, although nothing beats cooking over wood outdoors.

The griddler looks like it will do lotsa stuff my Delonghi won't.
    Joe
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1