Tennessee-What area foods should I try

Author
tessera
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2003/05/30 11:35:06 (permalink)

Tennessee-What area foods should I try

I'll be going to Nashville, Memphis, possibly dip into Atlanta GA. this August

What foods is the area known for? The local favorites, (like Pizza in Chicago or lobster in Maine).

We are vegetarian BUT want to try the local eats whatever those are.
Thanks,
Frank

10 Replies Related Threads

Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Tennessee-What area foods should I try 2003/05/30 14:51:10 (permalink)
    Frank,
    In Nashville you need to hit what are known here as "Meat & 3" joints. These are typically lunch-only establishments offering a selection from 3 or more meats and up to a dozen vegetable/sides. In general, you choose a meat and two or three side dishes. These will be good bets for vegetarians as you can get an all vegetable plate (generally meaning you choose 3 or 4 sides) at any of these places (depending on how strict your vegetarianism is -- many dishes will include pork as a flavoring ingredient). Most of these places have excellent pie and cobbler for dessert. Some Nashville "Meat & Three" places I would recommend are: Arnold's, Swett's, Sylvan Park, White Trash Cafe and Monell's. Rotier's, Elliston Place Soda Shop & the Belle Meade Buffet also serve good food along the "home cooking" line, although they also offer other items beyond the typical Meat & 3. You might also want to check out a place called "Grins" (Jewish for "Greens") on the Vanderbilt Campus.

In terms of "how the locals eat", this will put you in good stead. If you want to venture beyond the vegetarian, simply get fried chicken, country style steak or country ham with your veggies. These places also tend to have real cornbread (no flour, no sugar) that is best for crumbling onto a pile of pinto beans or collards...

Good eating!!
    Mountain Gal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Tennessee-What area foods should I try 2003/05/30 15:02:27 (permalink)
    When you get to Chattanooga, be sure to visit Feins. It is a third generation family restaurant and the owners often eat vegetarian themselves. They stayed with me a couple of years ago and left me some excellent tofu recipes.

And while you are in Tennessee, why not visit "the quiet corner" in NE Tennessee. Lots to do such as fly fishing, hiking the Appalachian Trail, swimning, kayaking, etc. espcially in Butler, TN where there is a wonderful little museum telling the story of "the town that wouldn't drown".

And Shirley's is a family style restaurant where they serve you all you can eat for only $11.00 including tax! Your choice of fried chicken breast, ham and biscuits or roast beef (not vegetarian) but lots of vegetable sides.

Biscuits and gravy and barbeque and two of the regional musts. But remember, Tennessee is a very long state going from the Mississippi Delta to the mountains in the East. And each area has its specialities.
    lesliebeans
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Tennessee-What area foods should I try 2003/06/06 17:46:11 (permalink)
    If you haven't left yet, check out nashvillescene.com for great places to eat in music city. Unfortunately, most are not vegatarian, and the meat and threes listed above-you can bet most all the veggies are seasoned with pork fat or some such (but boy-they are truly good!). I like to eat at the Calypso Cafe with my veg. friends-or try the Corner Market for an interesting dining experience. There are also several great Thai and Indian restaurants. Look to the Nashville Scene for recommends.In Memphis the very best thing is BBQ at Rendezvous or Cozy Corner. I suppose a vegetarian ought to try a fried peanut butter and nanner sandwich at
    Elvis Presley's Memphis on Beal Street.
    tessera
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Tennessee-What area foods should I try 2003/06/06 18:32:07 (permalink)
    Hey, Thanks for all the ideas.
    We have our tickets and will be leaving in August...
    may even get to New Orleans.
    Frank
    rockinrobin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Tennessee-What area foods should I try 2003/06/17 02:46:48 (permalink)
    yesterday's New York Times (Sun 6/15/03) has a good article on Nashville in the Sophisticated Traveler magazine. I think you can view a specific edition of the newspaper online for free up to 6 days after the publication date.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Tennessee-What area foods should I try 2003/06/22 20:56:35 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Is Country Life still in Nashville on Division Street near Music Row? That was a vegetarian place run by Seventh Day Adventists (there is a denominational hospital in Madison, TN. nearby). Other Country Lifes are/were in Chattanooga, TN. and Columbus, Georgia.
    We have a Vegan bakery/eatery here in Athens that has just opened. I'll detail when I manage to grope my way by.
    Not Tofuriously Pecking Away, Omnivorous Ort. Carlton.
    geomotz
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Tennessee-What area foods should I try 2003/06/23 00:33:46 (permalink)
    Go to Monell's in Nashville for sure, and bring an appetite.
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Tennessee-What area foods should I try 2003/06/23 10:40:21 (permalink)
    Ort,
    Country Life has been gone for a long time. Used to live very close to that restaurant and stopped in frequently, but it is no more...
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Tennessee-What area foods should I try 2003/06/25 16:34:10 (permalink)
    Breakfast at Lovelace Cafe south of Nashville(at the northern terminus of the Natchez Trace)is a must anytime you are within 100 miles! Country ham,gravy,the best biscuits anywhere, home made preserves, molasses and honey--absolutely fantastic!

If you get to New Orleans, get lunch at Ueglisch. The best food in the best city for food, but only open for lunch.
    valzgal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Tennessee-What area foods should I try 2003/08/15 18:30:18 (permalink)
    Atlanta with a veggie slant: If you make it as far south as Atlanta, try The Flying Biscuit in Candler Park. Any meal is good, but breakfast is the best. The Vortex on Peachtree for veggie burgers and sandwiches. Taqueria del Sol in Midtown or Decatur--taco stand. Watershed in Decatur--Southern with a twist. For ice cream try Jake's or Orange & Scarlett's (several locations each) if you're not vegan. Most visitors want to go to The Varsity for hot dogs. They have a couple of non-meat sandwiches, but whatever you have, onion rings and a frosted orange is a must. Watch out for southern veggies--they're usually flavored with meat. When in doubt, ask.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1