Testing Fryers?

Author
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
2012/02/28 12:50:59 (permalink)

Testing Fryers?

Hey Folks,

Supposed to meet someone this eveing about some fryers.  Wondering if there is a way to test the fryers to make sure they work (gas)?  May be something very simple, but I have no idea.  Deal is too good to be true and I have no money to lose.  Very leary of it since I will end up with three [2 60 lb and a 40lb] fryers for $400.  Should i get em anyway and win even if I have to repair them?

Thanks Folks

28 Replies Related Threads

daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 14:38:27 (permalink)
    I wouldn't think you could kill a gas fryer,I would look inside everything with a flashlight,looking to see rust,and how clean it is.if it's really clean I would think it was taking care of.135.00 each is a ok price.is it propane?is the four hundred firm?I would offer 300 and see where it goes.saying you don't know if they work so you hate to gamble on have to spend money to repair.If it's propane take a small propane tank with you and hook it up pour water in the fryer and see if it gets hot.
    Blissful Bite
    Hamburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 14:42:10 (permalink)
    First off, check for leaks.  Not sure if they'll let you fill them up with water, but that's a good way.  Look inside the cabinet, if it's caked with grease, it probably leaks.  You could probably patch a leaker, but you might have to completely disassemble.

Depending on how complex the fryer is, i.e. thermostatically controlled vs. manually controlled, there can be a lot of components to check.

Do you know the brand names?  It might be worth knowing the cost of some replacement parts such as thermocouples, pilot assemblies, valves, etc.

Use your intuition, but be discerning.  You don't want to waste a lot of time polishing turds.  Take in the experience, what's it like to shop for used fryers?  Maybe you'd like to have a nice clean one instead.  Could this guy be a good resource to know or someone to avoid doing business with?  

Good luck!  Wear grubby clothes.  
    Hamburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 14:49:03 (permalink)
    Good deal.  I have a propane take but he said they were gas.  I will be sure to check and make sure they are clean and offer $300 for all of them.  I may even get them serviced to make sure.  I figure they can test it and replace what may be on its way out to save me from going crazy opening week.  Ive worked with fryers for many years but have no experience with the inner workings or even how to hook one up, just light it and cook.
    Hamburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 14:58:19 (permalink)
    Blissful Bite

First off, check for leaks.  Not sure if they'll let you fill them up with water, but that's a good way.  Look inside the cabinet, if it's caked with grease, it probably leaks.  You could probably patch a leaker, but you might have to completely disassemble.

Depending on how complex the fryer is, i.e. thermostatically controlled vs. manually controlled, there can be a lot of components to check.

Do you know the brand names?  It might be worth knowing the cost of some replacement parts such as thermocouples, pilot assemblies, valves, etc.

Use your intuition, but be discerning.  You don't want to waste a lot of time polishing turds.  Take in the experience, what's it like to shop for used fryers?  Maybe you'd like to have a nice clean one instead.  Could this guy be a good resource to know or someone to avoid doing business with?  

Good luck!  Wear grubby clothes.  

Thanks a lot!  Initially I was just going to buy the fryers new since its the heart of the business, but the more I find good used stuff on CL the more I consider buing used fryers.  I dont know the brand or any specifics besides the size and price as the seller is only available after 5 and yesterday I ran out of time.  Wish I would have known as he is in N Dallas and I have to drive all the way back over there.  From your experience could this get to a point where repairing cost more than its worth?, like cars.  Whats it like?, so far so good.  Only my second day and you guys are making this really easy!  Worst case, I will just go with new but I could always use the extra 3-4k for something else if this works out.

Thanks again guys
    marco226
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 15:11:52 (permalink)
    I was a cook for 24 yrs and for the last 10 i been selling resturant equipment.
    here is my 2 cents. look at the pilot if it is full of grease run away.
    check to see iwhat the condition of the igniter if it is realy black it will need to be change.
    pitco is the best fryer you can by followed by frymaster.
    dean is the worst. call a local resturant repair guy and ask for advice.
    most of them will help you out if you can get one on the phone.
    get me the make and model# and i can check it for you.
    marco226
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 15:15:17 (permalink)
    you can get new for about 700.00ea
    Hamburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 15:48:28 (permalink)
    marco226

you can get new for about 700.00ea

The Acemart here has the Pitco fryers for right at $700.  I had no idea they were the second best, saw a dean this morning and clicked away as somthing didnt feel right.  .  Im going to call him this evening and get the make and model numbers if he has them.  Thanks for the advice on the pilot and igniter, would have never thought of that.  Im going to look for a repair shop now to see what they say.  I really want to take a moment to thank all who have replied and all who may!  It really touches my heart to see so many help so quickly. 

Hamburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 16:09:32 (permalink)
    While im thinking about it, has anyone ever seen or know where to get sort of custom fry baskets?  Believe me, Ive searched to no avail.  I would like to fit two/three smaller baskets where one standard would fit so I could start items in a standard basket and transfer to a smaller one halfway through.  To ensure not even 1 order leaves my kitchen sub par, I am doing everything to oder.  Dont want to take up a whole basket with one order of fries.

I know this is different than the most, but this is the way I have to do it to feel good about it.  Its more work and so much easier to drop em under the heat lamp, but sometimes the smallest difference makes all the difference. 
    marco226
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 16:44:42 (permalink)
    if you go to wells and star web sites. you can buy replacement baskets from there table top fryers.
    they are smaller than the floor models. or try FRANKLIN MACHINE PARTS {FMP}.
    they stock a lot of fry baskets and you can now buy direct from them.
    great customer service. the actualy have the dimentions of the baskets in there catolog.
    hope this helps.
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 16:55:27 (permalink)
    gas valves are 35.00 to 125.00 and thermostats are universal and cheap. i also sold used equip and the advice about the caked on grease inside the door is the best, run away (or leave that one for a discounted deal). but all else is replacement parts. you cant lose on that deal, period.
    Hamburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 17:04:21 (permalink)
    marco226

if you go to wells and star web sites. you can buy replacement baskets from there table top fryers.
    they are smaller than the floor models. or try FRANKLIN MACHINE PARTS {FMP}.
    they stock a lot of fry baskets and you can now buy direct from them.
    great customer service. the actualy have the dimentions of the baskets in there catolog.
    hope this helps.

It does!  Never heard of FMP until yesterday, got a 400lb scale for 80 bucks.  Headed to the sites now.  So busy havent had time to look up the repair shop.  I love it though..
    Hamburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 17:09:30 (permalink)
    Bistro a go-go

gas valves are 35.00 to 125.00 and thermostats are universal and cheap. i also sold used equip and the advice about the caked on grease inside the door is the best, run away (or leave that one for a discounted deal). but all else is replacement parts. you cant lose on that deal, period.

Smiling as big as the sunshine!!  I sure hope they are in the conditions stated.  This would save a lot of money and make opening a lot quicker.  Thank you all for sharing your years of experience with me. 
    marco226
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 17:17:46 (permalink)
    good luck tell us know how you make out.
    Hamburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 18:23:04 (permalink)
    Just got off the phone, they are keating fryers.  No model numbers as he was on his way home.  Are they any good?

edit: headed over there, about 45 mins.  I will refresh the page via mobile.  Let me know, either way I will tell you what happened.

Thanks
    post edited by 318 - 2012/02/28 18:50:02
    marco226
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 18:51:02 (permalink)
    the only thing i know about KEATING is that they are very well known for there griddles.
    they make the best in the market. i just checked out there fryers very expensive top of the line.
    they do make an economy fryer it starts at 2700.00 my cost and it is only 26#.
    they do offer a lot of differant size baskets for there fryers. you need to find out the BTU OF THE FRYER.
    90,000 is ok but  for high volume you need at least 110.000 btu or better.
    they have a good recovery time. i never sold one. just looking at some of the spec sheets.
    i like.
    Hamburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 18:58:44 (permalink)
    Good deal. I saw they were pricey, now I just hope the are in good condition. I should see the BTU behind the door, fryer?
    marco226
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 19:05:11 (permalink)
    you should see a lot on the door.
    model# serial# btu some have the date when is was made and where.
    some companies have the date when it was made in there serial#just have to know how to read it.
    all companies are differant. good luck.
    Hamburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/28 23:58:02 (permalink)
    Decided not to get it but it was 21200

0 BTU. It was too big for what we are doing. Ended up getting one of those classic menu boards with the letters you stick on it for 50 bucks. Would like to find a new insert for it. It lights up and the one in it is okay but a new one would be better. If not I will gently clean it and upgrade later.
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/29 01:14:34 (permalink)
    What a coincidence! I too was shopping for fryers just today. Actually I researched from mnfcr's, the local postings and even walked into a few restrnt equipmnt supply shops (after calling 1st of course for availabilty)  This went on for approx, 2.5 weeks before I found a shop 40 miles away w/ my exact specs. I found on phone navigation w/in 50mi. 
    I trudged inside, wife in tow and asked for used 35-40lb'ers. What they had surprised me. After having almost spent $799+tax/ship I wound up w/ a semi- greasy 35lb (EXACTLY what I wanted, for $300cash. I look at fryers like a good mule. No cosmetics, I need an IRONman so to speak. I figure that for $300 it will pay for itslef/make me $$ until I can buy new. This eve, I degreased, used lil elbow grease hosed down and loaded her into my food truck. Only problem was the brass valve fitting was a size larger than my truck's existing.  Oh well, kwik fix 2moro.
    Basically I went w/fact that I got a short warranty on parts and ysed my own kitchen experince + faith. Now I'm good...saved a few hun
    HOPE YU WILL too (Dont know yur budget, but smtimes "pre-owned" is best option
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/29 01:24:59 (permalink)
    Mine is 90k BTU. which is satisfactory for my food truck and its frymaster. They had 1 more, Larger though, 17"wide 30" deep(front to back)110k btu w/ splash guards both sides for $375 nds cleanng though, they do thattoo for additional cost. They're in Fredrick, md. Let me know if you want to know more...
    Hamburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/29 09:51:20 (permalink)
    Stirfryking

What a coincidence! I too was shopping for fryers just today. Actually I researched from mnfcr's, the local postings and even walked into a few restrnt equipmnt supply shops (after calling 1st of course for availabilty)  This went on for approx, 2.5 weeks before I found a shop 40 miles away w/ my exact specs. I found on phone navigation w/in 50mi. 
    I trudged inside, wife in tow and asked for used 35-40lb'ers. What they had surprised me. After having almost spent $799+tax/ship I wound up w/ a semi- greasy 35lb (EXACTLY what I wanted, for $300cash. I look at fryers like a good mule. No cosmetics, I need an IRONman so to speak. I figure that for $300 it will pay for itslef/make me $$ until I can buy new. This eve, I degreased, used lil elbow grease hosed down and loaded her into my food truck. Only problem was the brass valve fitting was a size larger than my truck's existing.  Oh well, kwik fix 2moro.
    Basically I went w/fact that I got a short warranty on parts and ysed my own kitchen experince + faith. Now I'm good...saved a few hun
    HOPE YU WILL too (Dont know yur budget, but smtimes "pre-owned" is best option

Good deal Stirfry!  It always feels good to save money and get something that will work.  Although I didn't get a fryer, I told him I didn't come all the way over here for nothing - I need some tips.  He gave me the standard, watch your money, quality, and consistency, but also, saved me a few thousand more saying, "start off with only what you need to get open and buy more as needed".  Seeing the big picture of when we will be busy, I was going to start with everything I need up front and just wait for the business to grow.  I sometimes ask my self, am I being nieve?  I know it wont be all roses, but having a positive mindset is the key to overcoming and although I know it will have to grow, I can only see it grown- nothing else.  Guess we can call that faith.

Everyone I buy from seems to feel good about giving me tips or seem happy I asked for their wisdom and of course its priceless.  He also told me of the Travis Miller Auctions that I had seen online for a long time but never intended to go.  He said people were getting the 4 bank frymasters for a grand and other steals for a little of nothing so I will definitely show up to the next one.  The menu board didn't come up until the 10th time I was about to leave so I felt great getting that.  Got a lot to do today so here we go!

Thanks to all of you for helping me!
    mofood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 117
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/02/29 12:36:49 (permalink)
    Keeping on topic, anyone own a pitco economy 45lb fryer? They're a good deal and a great name. Tube type iirc. I've been looking for used for months. Propane conversion (can be $100), and starting with a clean slate mean a lot to me. That said, I always, always try to save money where I can.

No offense to anyone in the business, but used resteraunt equipment places will try to gouge if possible. I've had several places try to sell me used equipment for close to new prices. Most will bargain if u know what you're talking about however.
    Hamburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/03/13 10:24:44 (permalink)
    Found a frymaster digital 3 bay with filter and dump station yesterday for $300.  Took it to a service center to have it checked and cleaned to make sure all is well.  The guy I bought it from said everything works but its been siting for about a year.  I followed all of the suggestions and it looked great, even the guy at the service center said it was in good condition.  At the same time I was pulling in, they had a similar model from Applebees that caught fire that they have to fix.  Been getting crazy deals on stuff, got like 17k worth of stuff for a little over $1200.  Thanks again guys, I was going to have to spend over 3k for fryers!   
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/03/13 10:51:27 (permalink)
    good deal. what was the original asking price for the fryer package?
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/03/13 10:51:28 (permalink)
    good deal. what was the original asking price for the fryer package?
    Hamburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/03/13 11:36:48 (permalink)
    $400.  It was you that inspired me to start getting my stuff.  Makes opening a lot easier when you already have most of the stuff.  Looking back I cant believe I was going to get everything a few weeks before opening, would have been chaotic.  If they can get the filter working properly and Im satisfied with how it works, that another 2k saved on an external filter. 
    Hamburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/03/13 11:42:59 (permalink)
    Found a site that I can get the inserts for the menu board but they only sell them in packs of 5 for $256.  They have a new complete board for $225.  If I decide to go with the new one, I have the case I have now that I would like to put pics of the food on but need to figure out what I can put in the space that will not block the light as well as something that I can print the pics on and it looks good.  Been searching and working so much I didnt even think to ask you guy for ideas? 
    Hamburger
    Re:Testing Fryers? 2012/04/17 16:53:21 (permalink)
    Hey Folks,

Been getting a lot done.  Ended up getting a 3 bay frymaster for $300.  Took it right to the repair shop, they kept it for a month only to say they cant work on it.  Took it to another place yesterday that quoted me $99 to check it out.  Just got a call from them saying it will be $99 per fryer and it will probably cost me 3-4k to fix it.  The guy I bought it from said it had been sitting outside for about a year but it works.  I need to be sure..

I know the new shop didn't look at it yet and am wondering if it may be worth a shot to try and hook it up to a propane tank (I need to know what to do if so) to see if it works or just get rid of it??  I would really appreiate all opinions as I am way too busy working out other things to lose any time.

Thanks folks,
    James
    post edited by 318 - 2012/04/17 18:29:41
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1