Test-tube meat available this fall

Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2012/02/20 11:50:22 (permalink)

Test-tube meat available this fall

Test-tube meat to be available this fall, scientist says The world's first "test-tube" meat, a hamburger made from a cow's stem cells, will be produced this fall, Dutch scientist Mark Post told a major science conference.
Post's aim is to invent an efficient way to produce skeletal muscle tissue in a laboratory that exactly mimics meat, and eventually replace the entire meat-animal industry.
PHOTOS: 10 Ways Science is Using Human-Animal Hybrids
The ingredients for his first burger are "still in a laboratory phase," he said, but by fall "we have committed ourselves to make a couple of thousand of small tissues, and then assemble them into a hamburger."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/02/20/test-tube-meat-to-be-available-this-fall-scientist-says/#ixzz1mwRQklYb

1 Reply Related Threads

Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Test-tube meat available this fall 2012/02/20 12:33:44 (permalink)
    Mmmmmm, test tube meat! Sounds like a hard sell. What are we to do with all the livestock once we get the world to start embracing an artificial meat diet? I guess there will always be a demand for real meat. Maybe livestock ranchers will become a niche, luxury or even black market?

I found this quote in the article interesting.... "In 2010 a report by the United Nations Environment Program called for a global vegetarian diet." 
    Yeah, I'm sure that plan would go over well in third world countries. I think most people in developed countries forget that there's a world outside of their own.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1