Helpful ReplyTexas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ice cream man 99
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
2010/05/21 17:24:30 (permalink)

Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed

I have been considering buying and operating one of the Texas Corn Roasters in a permanent, outdoor spot at a resort near my home. Eventually I may do some events but for now starting at a permenant spot will fit my schedule best.

From online research and phone calling,  I think the Texas Corn Roaster is the best one out there, but maybe someone knows more than I do? There is one Texas Corn Roaster operating in a nearby town, and the owner says he is very happy with his (and the money he netted sounded very good)

I do know the appeal of fresh roasted corn (and perhaps baked potato and sweet potato) is very important to the success and profit of the already existing corn roaster, the area I want to do business in is a very health concious resort/region.

I also need help figuring out what is fair to pay a busy resort (golf,ski etc type of resort) I think the one that operates nearby pays 15% of his gross...he is at the busiest resort in the area and that is the formula they usually/always use. I have done business with this same resort in the past, 15% of the gross is high but they are also the busiest...sometimes 15, 000 cars per day..volume justifies this "rent" of 15% of the gross sales. Most pay it and do well, on volume of course. 

The resort I have in mind does not have a corn roaster, it is not quite as busy but it is probably busy enough and growing. When I present a business proposal, I don't want to blow it and offer too little or get stuck paying too much.

I am also interested to know if adding a nice, clean and cool looking food concession to a resort helps raise their busniess traffic or does that usually only apply to concessions that are seen by passing motor traffic?

If anyone has experience running a Corn Roaster business would be kind enough to reply to any part of this posting, I would be very happy to hear the pros and cons. Thank you in advance!
BillyB
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/21 17:35:58 (permalink)
Your in Canada, what the heck do you know about Texas roasters. I don't think they come with Canadian instructions, just Mexican, TexMex, English........................I had to get that over with .....I guess it all depends on volume, you are also working with a low cost, high profit item...................would you like a lemon shake-up with that.....Billyb
Ice Cream Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1370
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/21 17:47:57 (permalink)
That wasn't me Billy, that was 99, you know Get Smart.

Or maybe it's just Curb, trying to steel my name.
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/21 17:50:56 (permalink)
Ice Cream Man

That wasn't me Billy, that was 99, you know Get Smart.

I vote he changes his name........ Do we have Ice Cream Man 1 thru 97 ?????
post edited by BillyB - 2010/05/21 17:52:02
Ice Cream Man
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/21 17:54:56 (permalink)
We've got lots of Dogs.
I guess one Ice Cream Man causing Turbulence is enough though.
How about Corn Man?
post edited by Ice Cream Man - 2010/05/21 17:56:07
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/21 17:58:15 (permalink)
Your in Canada, what the heck do you know about Texas roasters.

Do we have Ice Cream Man 1 thru 97 ?????

LMFA off! I have been slow all day and that's unusual so I was kinda bummed but the above perked me up. Still laughing. Funny as hell.

Jack
Ice Cream Man
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/21 18:37:47 (permalink)
I think all your customers are up here Doc.
It's the start of our spring long weekend.
Non stop traffic.
ice cream man 99
Junior Burger
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/21 20:01:41 (permalink)
Hi men, yes I do want to change my screen name. When I discovered Roadfood.com I had no idea it was as busy with true proifessionals as it has proven to be, I am impressed!

I will change to a different name as soon as I can figure out how! I tried to do the name change this morning but could not navigate the porocess, hopefully when a younger person arrives at my place, I will get help changing to a different name. I hope you understand and can forgive the intrusion. 

I'm more interested in Corn Roasters, it was a fluke that a small grocery store owner threw out the inivitation to start up his ice cream stand located next to a beach and his store.
We discovered the permits and approvals will take too long to do it this season.

My main focus is Corn Roasters,,,, btw, I'll pick out a corny new name!

That being said, I thought I'd be selling ice cream to start when I joined roadfood.com....I chose ice cream man and just added the 99 not realizing it would cause confusion and or step on anyone's toes...my appologies! Especially to the original, very seasoned ice cream man...truly sorry sir! Your posts and everyone elses are very helpful! Thank you all very much!

Serious Corn Roaster advice, that's what I'm seeking currently. 

I'm located in Northern California, you get the picture...health nuts abound here. (personally, I LOVE a good hot dog) And YES I like lemon sqeezers!

Any advice, tips or good info about corn roasters and corn roasting would be appreciated.

Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3916
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/21 20:53:49 (permalink)
Ice Cream Man

Now why would I do that. 

BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/21 21:11:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpful

Remember, you don't need a Corn Roaster, to Roast Corn
chefbuba
  • Total Posts : 2052
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/21 21:22:45 (permalink)
ICM 99... where are you located? Squaw or Tahoe City??
Ice Cream Man
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/21 21:49:49 (permalink)
No big deal 99, just having some fun on your dime.
No harm meant.
porkchopexpress
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 798
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/22 00:14:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
IMHO the holstein corn roaster is the best corn roaster made. I have owned one. It has an automatic dump so put the corn in and it does the rest.

http://www.holsteinmfg.com/categories/corn-roaster
ice cream man 99
Junior Burger
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/30 04:32:10 (permalink)
hahaha! funny responses! billyb...my pal from Wisc. insists i can simply roast the corn as in your photo...BUT it's yuppie-ville here and they want the look n see of a fancy machine....plus it'll be snowing a LOT of the time (yup we're tough as nails here too, in the high sierras) and that Texas Corn Roaster is cranking away at a nearby resort...snow storms and all and the yuppies buy the hot roasted corn allll day long....my Wisc. pal says i ought to try and roast a few for display....let 'em think i am using a small gas powered bbq and if the HD has an issue, i will explain to the food cop, "it is for looks only"...especially if the HD requires daily cleaning of a roaster and or grill...one machine to keep clean as a whistle, since it's "california-we-hate-small-business-land" will be quite enough thank you!

porkchopexpress...thanks...you liked the holstein? i do too, but wow the price was super high! perhaps if i expand to a 2nd machine, i can swing the cost, but for now i had planned to follow the lead of the successful corn roaster at a nearby resort.....he uses a texas roaster. i'll re-visit the holstein company website, just to be safe n sure!

i am curious, was the clean up easy enough on the holstein? and the maintenance?
i'll have to take a 2nd look see and call the company for more info.

Ice Cream Man
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/30 06:36:05 (permalink)
Welcome back 99.
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/30 08:28:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpful

Consider upselling by offering Mexican grilled corn too. It is incredibly good and you will stop eating buttered corn after you try it.
Mayonnaise, grated cheese, lime and hot sauce is a popular combination in this part of Texas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qupLICyH6E

mark
post edited by doggydaddy - 2010/05/30 08:33:12
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/30 08:49:13 (permalink)
Hey ICM99, being fancy is fine, it just cost money to travel in the fast lane.......My little friend in Mexico makes killer Churros with a real basic operation, hes not fancy, he just knows how to make a buck..

Tell this guy he's not fancy enough, mister fancy pants.

You want to make sure you don't have a lot of left overs...    YOu can offer Mexican corn........You can do many other Peso butter, herb butter rubs, Cajun butter...........for all the yuppie duppies, they would go for a verity of gourmet corn choices........So mister fancy pants, should anyone buy a $5000,00 roaster before they even sell their first ear of corn ??????????????? why not sell some and find out first..............."Not a Corn cooker Professional" .......Chef BillyB
post edited by BillyB - 2010/05/30 11:13:37
waydeg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 444
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/30 11:01:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
doggydaddy

Consider upselling by offering Mexican grilled corn too. It is incredibly good and you will stop eating buttered corn after you try it.
Mayonnaise, grated cheese, lime and hot sauce is a popular combination in this part of Texas.

mark

Elote... it's our new summer side. Very tasty.
http://www.simplefoodie.com/recipes/elote.htm

Ice Cream Man
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/30 15:53:47 (permalink)
Can't watch the video in Canada.
Are you sure it's just regular corn.
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/30 16:13:43 (permalink)
Ice Cream Man

Can't watch the video in Canada.
Are you sure it's just regular corn.

What are you guys a third world country...
Ice Cream Man
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/30 17:21:08 (permalink)
No were first, you're second and everyone else is third.
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/30 18:28:04 (permalink)
Ice Cream Man

Your getting sharper my friend, Hows your weekend going up in #1.................BillyB
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/30 23:18:08 (permalink)
ice cream man 99 my Wisc. pal says i ought to try and roast a few for display....let 'em think i am using a small gas powered bbq and if the HD has an issue, i will explain to the food cop, "it is for looks only"...especially if the HD requires daily cleaning of a roaster and or grill...one machine to keep clean as a whistle, since it's "california-we-hate-small-business-land" will be quite enough thank you! i am curious, was the clean up easy enough on the holstein? and the maintenance?
i'll have to take a 2nd look see and call the company for more info.

Buy a preasure washer a wash both often, they will work better and last longer and if you get a preasure washer get a Honda engine on it they start first pull every time. And get a Pressure Washer Rotating Turbo Nozzle for it they are awesome. I clean all my stuff with a Honda 2400 PSI preasure washer with a rotating turbo nozzle  and it works very fast and does a great job. If I were going to buy another I'd buy a 300 PSI unit, but the 2400 does a good job.

By the way the Pressure Washer Rotating Turbo Nozzle comes in two different types, one that when it wears out is a junker, the other is rebuild-able. The cheaper one that you just throw away runs about $38.00, and the other one that can be rebuilt cost about $65.00. But when the ceramic guts in the more expensive unit need replaced it's a snap, and you'll save money in the long run.

Jack

Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/30 23:21:37 (permalink)
So mister fancy pants, should anyone buy a $5000,00 roaster before they even sell their first ear of corn ??????????????? why not sell some and find out first..............."Not a Corn cooker Professional" .......Chef BillyB

Great advice and if you don't buy the 5 K roaster you can make a show out of it and that will double your sales.
Ice Cream Man
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/30 23:51:34 (permalink)
BillyB

Ice Cream Man

Your getting sharper my friend, Hows your weekend going up in #1.................BillyB

It's been hot for a week and lined up at the store every day. Make hay while the sun shines, it's only 4 more months until the snow returns.

Ice Cream Man
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/31 00:56:08 (permalink)
Just a side note, I went to one of my competitors 20 miles away last week.
I sat outside reading his signs for 10 minute and no customers.
My store was busy all day.
Today I was in a town 20 miles in the other direction, new store in a small mall with a large drug store as the anchor.
Empty tables out front, inside seating for 20 but there was only two people in there, my store was lined up 20 deep for 10 hours today. There wasn't a time the girls weren't slinging dogs or Ice Cream. I draw customers from both of these towns.
Makes me feel like I did something right.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10407
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/31 01:59:53 (permalink)
BillyB

Your in Canada, what the heck do you know about Texas roasters. I don't think they come with Canadian instructions, just Mexican, TexMex, English........................I had to get that over with .....I guess it all depends on volume, you are also working with a low cost, high profit item...................would you like a lemon shake-up with that.....Billyb

Billy B,
Learn your abbreviations!!! CA is CALIFORNIA! CN is CANADA! What part of the Earth do you live in??

ICM99,
Good quality corn is not available in most parts of the country 12 months out of the year. Are you assured of a year round supply of GOOD Corn? Feed your customers Field Corn or Cattle Feed Corn and you'll be out of business before you can say Orville Redenbacher!
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/31 10:37:53 (permalink)
Foodbme

BillyB

Billy B,
Learn your abbreviations!!! CA is CALIFORNIA! CN is CANADA! What part of the Earth do you live in??

ICM99,
Good quality corn is not available in most parts of the country 12 months out of the year. Are you assured of a year round supply of GOOD Corn? Feed your customers Field Corn or Cattle Feed Corn and you'll be out of business before you can say Orville Redenbacher!

If thats the case then I'm flying to San Diego, Canada and my buddy ICM has his Ice cream store in China.............chefbillyb      

2-Character Alphabetical Country Codes - Digraphs of All Countries
post edited by BillyB - 2010/05/31 10:40:28
Ice Cream Man
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/31 13:41:57 (permalink)
California can call them selves what they want, but there's only one Canada, .CA.
chefbuba
  • Total Posts : 2052
Re:Texas Corn Roaster, pros and cons and advice needed 2010/05/31 15:53:59 (permalink)
waydeg

doggydaddy

mark

Elote... it's our new summer side. Very tasty.
http://www.simplefoodie.com/recipes/elote.htm

I bought 4 ears of corn this morning, tried this recipe out....

PRETTY DAMN GOOD!....Gonna be using this one, Thank's for the link.

Off to make my Elote sign....
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1