Texas weiner sauce

Author
myway
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 310
2006/02/18 15:03:11 (permalink)

Texas weiner sauce

Hello,
I have heard some talk in the past about texas weiner sauce. Does anyone have a recipe for "authentic" Texas weiner sauce? Is there a difference between the Texas weiner sauce and traditional greek sauce?
Thanks

6 Replies Related Threads

Trask
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Texas weiner sauce 2006/02/19 11:51:49 (permalink)
    Myway,
    I've never found any where I live now like I had back east at the Texas Weiner joint but have made my own that I like as well or better. While on a trip back east I went to the place and had a couple to refresh my memory. This was not a heavy ground meat or tomato sauce but rust colored tangy topping.

What I did was boil down some pork & beef bones to make a strong stock then added some garlic and a coarse ground medium hot asian red pepper (the kind I find in asian markets used to make kimchee), maybe some paprika for more color and enough salt to taste. The I start thickening with corn or arrowroot startch until I reach the desired consistency. The finely minced onions should hold the sauce on top yet the sauce should be loose enough to ooze through. The surface area of the onions provide the ability of the sauce to cling to all the onion pieces and the sauce loose enough to reach the hot dog, the plate and ultimately your fingers.

I have made these numerous times, all with great success to those I have tried them on. Still haven't written down the recipe but I can wing it pretty good. Hope this helps.
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Texas weiner sauce 2006/02/19 14:33:44 (permalink)
    Thanks trask, I'll give it a try. Lots of recipes out there. My wife says I am buying too much hamburger!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Texas weiner sauce 2006/02/19 23:44:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by myway

Thanks trask, I'll give it a try. Lots of recipes out there. My wife says I am buying too much hamburger!

Cheaper to make the sauce, sample it, then add the burger if ya like where it's going...

julesp
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Texas weiner sauce 2006/03/06 08:36:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Trask

Myway,
    I've never found any where I live now like I had back east at the Texas Weiner joint but have made my own that I like as well or better. While on a trip back east I went to the place and had a couple to refresh my memory. This was not a heavy ground meat or tomato sauce but rust colored tangy topping.

What I did was boil down some pork & beef bones to make a strong stock then added some garlic and a coarse ground medium hot asian red pepper (the kind I find in asian markets used to make kimchee), maybe some paprika for more color and enough salt to taste. The I start thickening with corn or arrowroot startch until I reach the desired consistency. The finely minced onions should hold the sauce on top yet the sauce should be loose enough to ooze through. The surface area of the onions provide the ability of the sauce to cling to all the onion pieces and the sauce loose enough to reach the hot dog, the plate and ultimately your fingers.

I have made these numerous times, all with great success to those I have tried them on. Still haven't written down the recipe but I can wing it pretty good. Hope this helps.
    julesp
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Texas weiner sauce 2006/03/06 08:39:26 (permalink)
    Can some one tell me if ther is a recipe for t. weiner sauce thats meatless I don,t remember the ground beef part
    Trask
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Texas weiner sauce 2006/03/08 16:51:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by julesp

Can some one tell me if ther is a recipe for t. weiner sauce thats meatless I don,t remember the ground beef part

I haven't found one written up but the one I make is definitley not a vegetarian one since the base is a hearty meat and bone stock that is salted, spiced, colored and adjusted for thickness with corn or arrowroot starch. The coarse ground red pepper may appear to be little chunks of meat and the sauce does taste "meaty" but I don't miss the hamburger.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1