Thai Cuisine

Author
pappy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
2005/06/12 18:11:05 (permalink)

Thai Cuisine

While we were in Clearwater, we were privileged to find a small, but very well appointed Thai Restaurant. It is called "Thai Coconuts" and is located on Missouri Avenue in Clearwater. I have been looking through all of my things to find the little notebook where I wrote down many of the meals we had while on vacation, but that little black bugger has disappeared with all of the names of the various dishes were enjoyed while there along with the prices of these meals.

Anyway, since we were so impressed with the impeccable service and the fact that the prices were easy on the pocket, well I figured I might as well enter my comments here. The meal that I enjoyed was a "Duck with a nice medium spicey curry sauce" that was served with lightly steamed cabbage. It was "to die for". We also had spring rolls that were quite good. The meal was served with a nice chicken based soup with a smattering of rice and green onion... Pappy order a nice "Crusted Salmon Filet" that was served with a mixture of nicely steamed vegetables. I gave his a "taste" and it too was delicious.

We were told that it is a family run restaurant and that they are indeed transplanted from Thailand.

Both meals came to less than $25.00 and we walked (or should I say waddled) out very satisfied with our meal, and with the wonderful service. We shall pay them a visit when we return in November.

Blessings,
Mrs. Pappy

12 Replies Related Threads

carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Thai Cuisine 2005/06/14 12:16:05 (permalink)
    Best Thai restaurant I was at was in Tampa on a major street but I could never remember the name of the street or the name of the restaurant. it was in a small strip mall right next to a Bonefish Grille and there were plenty of other Thai restaurants in the area but that's as close as I can come to it.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Thai Cuisine 2005/06/14 16:54:10 (permalink)
    Carlton: I suggest you try the lemon Grass in Maryville on Lamar Alexander Parkway. It is across the street from Shoneys and Kroger. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by this novel place in a little sleepy bedroom community. It is very good. I enjoy their talapia and tempura veggies.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10425
    RE: Thai Cuisine 2006/08/17 11:19:32 (permalink)
    Here in Pittsburgh, the amount of Thai restaurants has probably tripled in the last five years or so. I absolutely love Thai food, so I'm quite glad it seems to making some inroads in the local market. My favorite of these is Thai Cuisine in Bloomfield. It is a mother-daughter team who moved here from LA, because the competition there was so fierce. I have tried just about all of their curry dishes and have never been disappointed. There are several other Thai restaurants in Pittsburgh which are quite good, but they seem to be rather inconsistent.

doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Thai Cuisine 2006/08/17 12:56:06 (permalink)

I went to the only Thai restaurant that is in this town the other day. There is no competition. When I walked in, there was a table of four people and one table with a gentleman eating solo. This was 8o'clock on a Saturday night.
    The waitress was different from the girl that usually worked there and upon opening the menu, I knew that I was dealing with a new place.
    This disappointed me as I knew that the previous owners tried hard, but overextended themselves with another place 30+ miles away and then working this place at night.

The sad fact is that this is a meat and potatoes type town with a strong Italian influence and very few quality restaurants of any kind. There is an excellent place for sushi, but it kills me that their parking lot has plenty of empty spaces.
    Whenever I try to talk to my neighbors about Thai food, I generally get a reply that they think it is something that is too spicy. Sushi is ONLY raw fish.

They say that a restaurant's success can be based on location. Maybe that's true. This place is in the middle of two towns, but not really a long drive from either. This site may be jinxed, as there have been other places there before it.

I talked to the owner for some time, and he said that he was planning on changing its name. I tried to suggest that it may be better to keep the name, only so people won't go "Oh, it is another restaurant." and know that it has new owners. Changing the name won't help. Besides, it shows up on my GPS as its known name and I do not think that a new name will register.

One last note, New Haven has about five Thai restaurants on one block!!!

mark
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Thai Cuisine 2006/09/06 08:36:22 (permalink)
    If you're ever in Lexington, KY, try the Siam on New Circle Road. I always order Pad Thai HOT with squid and extra nuts, scallions, and bean sprouts. The other Thai places around here can't touch it, IMHO.

Andrea
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    RE: Thai Cuisine 2006/09/06 08:59:42 (permalink)
    interesting thread. I love ethnic food, but have been turned off chinese-type cuisine by the proliferation of cut-rate; low quality chinese buffets, which seem to be everywhere. Never tried Thai food yet - how is it different than chinese?. Can anyone make any menu suggestions for a novice? What should I look for in a Thai restaurant?

thanks
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Thai Cuisine 2006/09/06 09:51:44 (permalink)
    I think some of the seasonings are different. The one thai restraunt that i ate at in Universal City wasn't bad,but now it's gone.
    In the Forum Shopping Center is Thai Spice,and in Live Oak is another Thai place that got great revies in the San Antonio paper.
    Their chilis are hotter,and i think they use curries,etc.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Thai Cuisine 2006/09/06 10:33:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stlouisguy

interesting thread. I love ethnic food, but have been turned off chinese-type cuisine by the proliferation of cut-rate; low quality chinese buffets, which seem to be everywhere. Never tried Thai food yet - how is it different than chinese?. Can anyone make any menu suggestions for a novice? What should I look for in a Thai restaurant?

thanks

I too am put off by the horrendous Chinese buffets --- some very good Chinese restaurants that I loved ruined themselves by turning into buffets.
    If it's your first time to a Thai restaurant, I would recommend Pad Thai --- you can order it mild, medium or hot and choose the meat / seafood or have it veggie. I would ask around to your friends / co-workers to see who they recommend for Thai food.

Andrea
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Thai Cuisine 2006/09/06 10:49:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stlouisguy

thanks

After eating Thai food, you'll never go back to the Chinese restaurants that you mention. I will still go to a Chinese place and generally feel less than satisfied, as it seems almost boring. The difference is that while Chinese has some spicy dishes, Thai food has -seasoned- dishes that can be spicy. There is more flavor due to the usage of spices and herbs. Lemon grass, Thai basil, galangal, fish sauce, tamarind, coconut milk, chilies, and curry pastes are just some of the ingredients.

"As a P.O.W., they used to feed us a soup made of this stuff, but we can't make it to taste right..." Principal Skinner, THE SIMPSONS

Some basic suggestions would be to try the soup, Tom Ka Gai. I love the fish or shrimp cakes that are known as Tod Mun. Everybody who is a novice usually has Pad Thai, a noodle dish as their first introduction to this cuisine.
    My favorite dish now is Pla Rad Prik, which is a whole fried fish topped with a spicy melange of peppers, onions, chilies and Thai basil. It is a great presentation which will cause other diners to check out what you are eating. When I am finished, I feel like Sylvester the cat after he wolfed down a whole fish, leaving just the bones and head.

mark
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10425
    RE: Thai Cuisine 2006/09/29 14:27:24 (permalink)
    The best Thai restaurant I have eaten at was in Los Angeles when I was there to take the test for Jeopardy. Unfortunately, that day was such a blur, I really can't remember the name of it. It was between where I was staying in Marina Del Rey and the Sony Studio in Culver City. Anybody know the name of it? I know there are probably quite a few Thai restaurants in that area, but this place was amazing! It was so good, I definitely want to go back next time I am in the area.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Thai Cuisine 2006/10/03 06:07:27 (permalink)
    Maryville, TN has a very good Thai Restaurant called Lemon Grass. It is located on Lamar Alexander Parkway. Food is very authenic, NOT a buffet and everything is cooked to order. It tends to be a little hot but very very good.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxvillle, TN
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1355
    RE: Thai Cuisine 2006/10/23 13:25:05 (permalink)
    The only Thai I have ever eaten is from the Thai House in Jackson, MS, so I don't know whether or not it is authentic. I sure do love it.

The couple that runs it is from Thailand, and they grow lemon grass, Thai basil, and other herbs around the front door.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1