The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Thai or other Asian influence creations

krelboyne

• Total Posts: 19
Thai or other Asian influence creations Fri, 02/19/10 9:39 AM (permalink)
Hey now...is anyone out there doing any Asian flavors with their dogs. If so, what are you doing? Info and or pics?  Not trying to steal anyone's ideas.....just curious as to what combinations of flavors are being used.
<message edited by krelboyne on Fri, 02/19/10 9:43 AM>

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
    Re:Thai or other Asian influence creations Fri, 02/19/10 10:00 AM (permalink)
    Japadog, in Vancouver BC, Doesn't get much more out of the box than these guys....Billyb

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
      Re:Thai or other Asian influence creations Fri, 02/19/10 10:46 AM (permalink)
      I bet a Wasabi Mustard blend would be excellent. You could try stir frying a small dice of firm Tofu in a little sesamee oil and soy and top a dog with it. Be careful with sesamee oil it is very strong. You could even add those mini corn things. Hoisin, Katsu, and Oyster sauce are all a little sweet and you could top them with that. Grilled full length scallions so they char with a little lime juice at they end.  Try grinding some whole szechuan peppercorns on a Hot Dog. Siracha is a must and it could be mixed with yellow mustard. Even sauteed carrot slivers might be good with a little hoisin sauce....Russ
      <message edited by Russ Jackson on Fri, 02/19/10 10:57 AM>

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
        Re:Thai or other Asian influence creations Fri, 02/19/10 11:49 AM (permalink)

Russ Jackson

Re:Thai or other Asian influence creations Fri, 02/19/10 11:54 AM (permalink)

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1792
            Re:Thai or other Asian influence creations Fri, 02/19/10 12:37 PM (permalink)
            Russ Jackson

bill voss

http://newyork.metromix.com/restaurants/essay_photo_gallery/banh-mi-ban/1180191/photo/1180246

I would eat any of those...Russ

Twice.  Just to be sure.

waydeg

• Total Posts: 444
              Re:Thai or other Asian influence creations Fri, 02/19/10 2:50 PM (permalink)
              BillyB

Japadog, in Vancouver BC, Doesn't get much more out of the box than these guys....Billyb

I'm a big sushi/Japanses cuisine enthusiast so most of the ingredients don't scare me. (I ate what translated to "sea mouse" at a "locals only" sushi bar in the Ueno district - not bad) but these don't have any real appeal, at least for me. I tried some asian slaw on a dog but wasn't impressed with my creation and didn't think cutomers would be either. I'd try kimche if I could find the rel stuff but I don't think most Texans are ready for this. New York, LA and I would guess Vancouver are much more international cities that would support this. Neve been to Cleveland so I can't help you there. Anyone else think differently?

ptireland

• Total Posts: 263
                Re:Thai or other Asian influence creations Sat, 02/20/10 6:10 PM (permalink)
                I love how the Japadog menu says "Special Okonomi sauce".  Clearly this is a reference to Okonomiyaki.  This was one of my favorite things in Japan.  You know what sauce they use for Okonomiyaki?  It's Mayo.  That's it.  Some special sauce eh?  It's not special mayo either.  It's just in a squeeze bottle.

This leads me to believe the MisoMayo is the powdered Miso for Miso soup mixed with mayo.  In fact, mayo seems to be their ingredient for everything other than the Oroshi dog. 

Of these, I'd be interested in trying the Misomayo and the Terimayo only because I'm curious as to how the combination of teriyaki sauce with mayo, or miso with mayo tastes.

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
                  Re:Thai or other Asian influence creations Sun, 02/21/10 10:18 AM (permalink)
                  Hey PT, how you doing Buddy, I hope all is well. I just got back from Mexico, while there I stopped at a few street carts. One of the carts had fish, shrimp tacos, I ordered both. I was watching them prep the tacos with deep frying the fish is a batter and making my homemade tortilla. When she started to assemble it, I asked what the special sauce she was using. She said mayonaisa, I rolled my eyes. They did have real good condiment to put on the tacos, but I thought they would toss the slaw with something different with a Mexican twist. Looks like mayo is a universal condiment............take care, hope you and the family are doing well...................Bill
                  <message edited by BillyB on Sun, 02/21/10 10:19 AM>

Russ Jackson

Re:Thai or other Asian influence creations Sun, 02/21/10 10:39 AM (permalink)
                    I think the main difference is that the Mayonnaise you both speak of was made fresh instead of jarred. The taste is totally different from what we eat daily in the USA. Plus the oil used in both regions would be totally different....Russ

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                      Re:Thai or other Asian influence creations Sun, 02/21/10 11:22 AM (permalink)

I can see a tempura and panko dipped dog with Chinese hot mustard, hot sweet chilli sauce or a spritz from a squeeze with ketjap manis. This would not be much harder than breading your own onion rings and is the answer to a corn dog.

I used to get a Eggroll on a Stick at the carnivals that came with some redish sweet & sour sauce. I don't see why you could not roll up a dog with fresh sheets and maybe some kind of filling.

mark

ptireland

• Total Posts: 263
                        Re:Thai or other Asian influence creations Sun, 02/21/10 12:39 PM (permalink)
                        Hey Billy, the family is fine, but I'm tired of fighting with the wife over the hot dog thing.  She will never let me sell hot dogs instead of being a computer network engineer.  I've refurbished and customized my cart and it's in great shape.  Now I'm just going to have to find someone to buy it.

Veronica T

• Total Posts: 10
                          Re:Thai or other Asian influence creations Sun, 01/12/14 5:17 PM (permalink)
                          ptireland

I love how the Japadog menu says "Special Okonomi sauce".  Clearly this is a reference to Okonomiyaki.  This was one of my favorite things in Japan.  You know what sauce they use for Okonomiyaki?  It's Mayo.  That's it.  Some special sauce eh?  It's not special mayo either.  It's just in a squeeze bottle. 

It is Kewpie brand mayonnaise from Japan. Very different from Hellmann's / American mayonnaise.

<message edited by Veronica T on Mon, 01/13/14 12:39 AM>

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
                            Re:Thai or other Asian influence creations Sun, 01/12/14 9:58 PM (permalink)
                            Eugene Woo, owner of the Tokyo Dog food truck in Seattle, WA is a proud graduate of Hot Dog University. www.tokyodog.com

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com