Thanks and a few questions

Author
JRW65
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2004/07/18 10:54:27 (permalink)

Thanks and a few questions

I’m new to this board and of smoking food, have always love to eat it, and finally decided to get a smoker and give it a try, I have done ribs twice so far and they have come out great, meat falling off the bone, and friends with very full stomachs, but before I go on I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to the following people:

Stogie (hope you keep winning those cheap plastic trophies), Sundancer7, Willy, EliseT, Al the Mayor Bowen, and everybody who has posted a question or those who have answered them.

Without all your advice most of us would never know how to smoke anything right.

But now on to some question I have:

I have a Webber Smokey Mountain, How long does it take for it to get up to temp??
Mine take awhile but I think it may be because I’m not using enough coals?? Any help here would be great I would like to get this problem out of the way and practice may smoke technique it’s more fun at the end to eat your results.

Has anyone tried a combination of wood like: some apple and maple when smoking ribs or a pork butt and how did the come out??

Any advice to smoking a Turkey??

Lamb too?????

So many questions but I will make it short.

I know a lot of this is trail and error but every bit of info I can get would help

Thanks again
JRW65

4 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Thanks and a few questions 2004/07/18 19:57:41 (permalink)
    I got a WSM over a year ago on Stogie's recommendations. I love it.

I usually fill the bottom pretty full with charcoal no matter what I'm cooking. You can always shut off the air and re-use what's left.

I fill a "chimney" about half full of charcoal to light instead of using starter. Once that that gets going, I dump the burning coals on top of the unlit coals in the WSM, then assemble everything.

Also, I've experimented with natural hardwood charcoal vs. Kingsford, and I must admit that the Kingsford works better because it's easier to control. Most of the time I'll mix, though.

Always keep the top damper open all the way, and keep the 3 bottom dampers open all the way at first until you get up to temp.

You're probably already doing this, but a digital thermometer with the 3-foot cord is almost an essential with this. (Stogie's recommendation, also.)
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Thanks and a few questions 2004/07/18 23:01:38 (permalink)
    I have two WSMs and have been cooking on them for over six years now. They even get used at BBQ cooking contests.

Yes, I use mixtures of wood during the cooking of different meats. for pork butts, I use hickory along with a fruit wood such as apple or peach. On brisket, I use hickory with possibly some pecan. On ribs, hickory plus apple plus cherry.

Hopefully, you have found the http://www.virtualweberbullet.com website. This is a site dedicated to nothing but cooking on a WSM.

On smoking a turkey, try this link:

http://www.thebbqshack.com/turkey.htm

Shake's recipes for smoking or frying a turkey are excellent. His rubs are too!

Have fun and enjoy.

John
    JRW65
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Thanks and a few questions 2004/07/25 12:47:08 (permalink)
    Guys, Thanks for all your advice it has worked out great, got a couple of more hours before my first attempt at pork butts, going to try the turkey next. My friends bought me the pork butts, guess I'm going to have to share it with them too but your theory of just putting in a lot of coals worked great got the WSM going all night without much fuss, I'll know how the differnet woods will make thing taste in a while. Thanks again

John W
    Boston Ma
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Thanks and a few questions 2004/07/25 15:52:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JRW65

Guys, Thanks for all your advice it has worked out great, got a couple of more hours before my first attempt at pork butts, going to try the turkey next. My friends bought me the pork butts, guess I'm going to have to share it with them too but your theory of just putting in a lot of coals worked great got the WSM going all night without much fuss, I'll know how the differnet woods will make thing taste in a while. Thanks again

John W
    Boston Ma

Also, stop over and see many of us on http://www.bbqforum.com. That site is an excellent one for bbq talk.

John
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1