Thanks saps, some favorite roads

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1994
2006/05/03 10:44:16 (permalink)

Thanks saps, some favorite roads

You may never read this, now that you are gone, but your idea to mention some favorite roads was a good one. Some that I like include I90, a road that goes near my house on it's coast to coast run. At one time or another, I have been on most of it. The part of I 90 through Washington is sort of neat because of all the climate zones that you can see in 6 or 7 hours. Closer to home, I like Rt 2, Rt 140 and Rt 9 in Massachusetts. I have other favorites, but I'll leave that to others to post....

15 Replies Related Threads

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3757
    RE: Thanks saps, some favorite roads 2006/05/03 10:53:41 (permalink)
    I always liked the "Yellow Brick Road."
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    RE: Thanks saps, some favorite roads 2006/05/03 11:31:36 (permalink)
    My favorite road is North and South Lehigh Gorge Drive. This road had to be designed by a car nut, because it is full of dips, twists, sweeping turns and beautiful views, and all the turns are perfectly cambered for maintaining speed. Be there on Sunday mornings around 9AM, when there is no traffic, and let it go.

Second favorite is Buck Mountain Road, home of the Weatherly Hill Climb. Some turns are marked 3MPH, and they mean it.

Tom

brookquarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 280
    RE: Thanks saps, some favorite roads 2006/05/03 11:40:40 (permalink)
    I've always meant to travel the Road not Taken, but somehow I never have.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Thanks saps, some favorite roads 2006/05/03 12:42:18 (permalink)
    My two favorite roads are in Oregon. The drive from Boardman, Oregon to Troutdale, Oregon follows the Columbia River as it cuts through the Cascade Mountains. The old Columbia River Gorge highway encounters six strikingly beautifuk waterfalls in 15 miles.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    RE: Thanks saps, some favorite roads 2006/05/03 18:07:05 (permalink)
    We did a thread like this a couple of years ago. It contained a number of great suggestions from folks located all over the country! I am glad to see this one pick up the theme.

We like to road trip a lot and have some favorite roads that we try to include when we are in "the area".

1. All the dirt 'rail-maintainers' roads that run beside the tracks thru-out Cajon Pass in SoCal. That's the 'Mayor's" territory and includes a couple of miles of blacktop pavement over the dirt that was laid down in 1910 on the first road that went "Up the Pass" from San Bernardino to the High Desert. The blacktop is broken up pretty bad and the road is rough...but the historical value of riding on the "Pre- Rt. 66" road is a real treat.

2. Utah Rt 9 from Hurricane thru Zion Park to Mt Carmel Jct. is a real scenic ride too. Red Rock beauty everywhere and in the winter it is empty and even more scenic. We'll be on that in a couple of weeks and looking forward to it.

3. Idaho 55 that runs north out of Boise to Lewiston is an amazing ride. It runs beside several streams with white-water rafters all over the place during the season. Astounding Mountain Scenery. (Ditto Rt. 12 from Lewiston up over Lolo Pass to Montana.)

4. US 550 in Colorado from Ouray to Durango. Stop in Silverton to see the narrow gauge RR in operation. Spectacular scenery and Trains to boot. Another goal for this spring roadtrip. This road is called the "Million Dollar Highway" due to its construction costs, but it is worth every dollar they spent to do it.

5. Last one for this entry- Not as scenic as the mountains, but with a magnetic sort of draw for us... US 395 from the Victorville area in SoCal to Reno. Lots of desert mining lore to see and visit. The site at Manzanar still stands near Lone Pine CA for those who haven't visited an American Concentration Camp. Mt Whitney and Death Valley are within sight of this road. If you have never visited BODIE, the preserved Ghost Town just off 395 near the Nevada line. It is another leap into the past.

These seem to be all in the West...We have some favorites in the South and MidWest also. Maybe another post later in the thread.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Thanks saps, some favorite roads 2006/05/03 18:24:45 (permalink)
    I have a couple favorite routes. My most fav is IN-15 that starts up in Bristol Indiana, that I take down to IN-9, to 109. Total backroad driving at its finest! Have the opportunity to enjoy massive farms (smell included on some days), and all the little towns that dot it. You get to see some small diners that have to date back to the 40's, if not earlier.. I need to take a tour down that route again and collect some pictures... You know they wont last.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13509
    RE: Thanks saps, some favorite roads 2006/05/03 18:56:08 (permalink)
    Al, please do not forget the "Cherohala Skyway" trip across the mountains where we saw the wild azaeleas blooming.

In my opinion, one of the most beautiful drives in the USA.

http://www.westernncattractions.com/cherohal.htm

Paul E. smith
    Knoxville, TN
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Thanks saps, some favorite roads 2006/05/03 19:54:09 (permalink)
    The drive from Boonville, NY to Watertown on Route 12 during the late spring and early summer is beautiful. Rolling hills covered with yellow flowers, corn just about knee high, and every tiny little village with its springtime glorious bloom of every imaginable flower.
    Come winter time blanketed with acres and acres of pristine snow that looks like icing on a cake.
    It is gorgeous.
    Of course, I also must say that the drive up and down Pike's Peak in Colorado certainly has the ability to take your breath away. There are too many to list as favorites in Colorado, but coming into Aspen from the south east on Route 82, after going thru Independence Pass is also a stunning sight.
    And as simple as it sounds, the drive on I-40 thru the Ozarks is also another favorite of mine.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Thanks saps, some favorite roads 2006/05/03 20:00:29 (permalink)

That was a dandy ride, Sundancer. As was the quiet wandering of the Jekyl Island loop ride down in So Georgia. I used to like the US 60 ride up over the Hawk's Nest before I-64 was finished in West Virginia.
    In New Jersey you can get a chance to view the Pine Barrens from several St. Routes (539, 72, 73).
    The Fall Colors in Northern Michigan (both Upper and Lower) make for a great fall roadtrip. Use Rt 2 on the Upper and US 31 on the Lower.

The "Great River Road" that runs 'Up' the Mississippi is a great way to see the Mid-American region. That's US Route 61.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Thanks saps, some favorite roads 2006/05/03 20:09:11 (permalink)
    Some of my most memorable drives:

Route 9 in Maine: The "airline route" between Bangor and Calais...before it was widened and repaved in the past 10-15 years it was a real adventure.

Yellowhead Hwy: Going from Jasper to Kamloops BC...some of the most amazing roadside scenery I have ever seen...just watch for caribou in the road...coming around a bend at a good clip and finding a whole herd requires a change of underwear!

US 16 between Buffalo and Worland WY: Remarkable views.

Route 191 between Jackson and Yellowstone Lake in WY...you'll see views you have seen on calendars and posters, but they just don't compare to the real thing.

I have been behind the wheel too long...I could keep going all night on this!

US 50 between Salida and Montrose CO...thru Curecanti National Recreation area.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13509
    RE: Thanks saps, some favorite roads 2006/05/03 20:36:49 (permalink)
    I wish I could describe all the roads I have driven. I have driven many miles in each and every state plus all of Canada, Central American and a good portion of South American and most of Europe.

It is difficult to decide which I enjoyed the most.

I use a magic marker to color every road I have been on so that I can recall every road to some degree.

I truly enjoy driving and exploring.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Thanks saps, some favorite roads 2006/05/03 23:48:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

Some of my most memorable drives:

US 50 between Salida and Montrose CO...thru Curecanti National Recreation area.

That is a beautiful drive also!
    A stop at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison is a must.
    I have memorable photos taken there.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Thanks saps, some favorite roads 2006/05/04 00:31:57 (permalink)

We will use US 50 from Dodge City KS to Montrose, CO next week. Not the first time, but is the first time in 6 years. Then it is SOUTH to Durango. We are psyched up for this ride!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6895
    RE: Thanks saps, some favorite roads 2006/05/04 01:38:55 (permalink)
    I've never driven the Alcan, Z says it's fabulous. My most favorite road trip was the one we took in 2001....Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay, to the Arctic Ocean and back, with lots of side trips to little abandoned mining towns. Mosquitoes GALORE! Ah, we didn't care. It was the most beautiful drive I've ever been on.
    Tastytoo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 271
    RE: Thanks saps, some favorite roads 2006/05/06 08:45:34 (permalink)
    For food, Milwaukee Ave. especially in Niles, Il. Restaurants including Chicken Inn, Sphinx Cafe for cousecous and kebobs and Rossini's for Italian.. Groceries from Pinoy(Oriental)and Brillakis(Greek).

And any road travelled by Bob Hope and Bing Crosby.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1