"That Wings Place" (Hilton Head Island, SC)

Author
CETURTL
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
2010/08/28 12:07:22 (permalink)

"That Wings Place" (Hilton Head Island, SC)

There is a new Mom and Pop Place on HHI.  It is owned by a young couple (with a partner) who are now living their dream, to have a restaurant of their own.  Charlie has been a cook for 16 years and does the cooking here.  April is your hostess/waitress.  April's Mom also helps out.   I don't want to leave out their partner, but he was out of town when we visited and I can't remember his name.

The prices are very reasonable and the food is exceptional.  This is homemade food for the most part (I was told the mozzarella sticks were frozen).  The menu has many munchies, including deep fried bacon wrapped chicken nuggets with ranch for dipping (they're awesome), Fried sliced portabella mushrooms in a house batter, home made onion rings, homemade guacamole (excellent).  French fries are fresh, thin cut with skin on.

The wings are either bone-in or boneless in 12 varieties (including strawberry jalapeno).  We tried the honey lime sauce (very tasty). The chicken strips are also home made.

They have the best burgers I've had in years, Charlie will accomodate your requests.  Mine was a thin and crispy burger, it was great.  There is an extensive list of specialty burgers.  Of course,  There is a monster burger challenge, free, if you beat the standing record (this will get tough).

The hot dogs are the old fashioned thick, hot dog stand kind.  The varieties of preparation are equal to the burgers, my husband had a bacon wrapped, deep fried, covered with cheddar dog and loved it.  For fun, you can get a "mystery dog" (they choose the toppings).

They also feature several salads,  BLTs and their own version of a sloppy joe with cheddar and onions

There is also a homemade breaded pork tenderloin on the menu.  We haven't tried this yet but it will be next.

The only con is the location, these people are just starting out and right now, are located on the upper level of an older building.  They are conveniently located just behind Coligney Plaza on the south end of HHI.  The restaurant is very clean but there is no handicap access.   We will return and have recommended to others.  Very kid friendly.

Mushroom Swiss burger;  with 1/3 lb Angus Burger, Swiss Cheese, Sauteed Portabella Mushrooms, Onions and Bacon with Fries, Coleslaw and Pickle.  $8.99

Chicken Bacon Ranch Dippers

Pork Tenderloin

Cheddar Bacon Dog

Shy Dog   ( I think this is a play on Chi dog as it is a true Chicago Dog including the celery salt).

5 Lagoon Road
843-842-2844
Mon -Sat   11 AM - 9 PM

They do have a face book page.
post edited by CETURTL - 2010/09/02 16:12:29

2 Replies Related Threads

CETURTL
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re:"That Wings Place" (Hilton Head Island, SC) 2012/09/09 14:37:11 (permalink)
    UPDATE.  Sorry but like many Mom and Pops, they have closed!
    holdem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re:"That Wings Place" (Hilton Head Island, SC) 2012/09/09 18:21:24 (permalink)
    That's sad news. I think Hilton Head has too many restuarants. Which makes it that much harder for the "mom and pops".
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1