That is NOT a Martini

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/05 17:52:21 (permalink)
AhChoo!!!

Cheers, John 
sunnyside up
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/05 18:35:21 (permalink)
DLnWPBrown

sunnyside up

DLnWPBrown

ellen we are always coming up with new martinis here at home. I'll think up something and try it out on my wife.

Dennis in Cary

Hmmm?  If there had been an arsenic martini it might have saved me 4 divorces!

I've only been married once and we have been together over 9 years now. We have our moments, but wouldn't want them with anyone else. 

Dennis in Cary

Dennis, I made the comment about arsenic martini's in jest. Truth is, I have been married to the same lovely lady for 44 years come August. But I do keep her on her toes by introducing her to new friends as "My First Wife".
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/05 20:56:15 (permalink)
sunnyside up

DLnWPBrown

sunnyside up

DLnWPBrown

ellen we are always coming up with new martinis here at home. I'll think up something and try it out on my wife.

Dennis in Cary

I've only been married once and we have been together over 9 years now. We have our moments, but wouldn't want them with anyone else. 

Dennis in Cary

Dennis, I made the comment about arsenic martini's in jest. Truth is, I have been married to the same lovely lady for 44 years come August. But I do keep her on her toes by introducing her to new friends as "My First Wife".

No offence taken Sunny, I just know how it is. I love her... and experiment on her with alcohol though...LOL . I do keep a fully stocked bar in my house but I don't have any gin. Never liked it.

And Michael, if your idea of a martini is gin only with maybe an olive... wouldn't that be considered a "gin neat"?

Dennis in Cary
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/06 10:23:32 (permalink)
Our friend informs us that a Martini bar will go out of business if it serves only one drink (a real Martini - I guess). 

Would that they would go out of business and we could recapture the ambiance of the old saloon with a man behind the bar who could draw a proper beer, mix up a proper cocktail, politely seat the ladies at a table in the other room, and carry on an intelligent conversation with the gentlemen along the bar.

Cheers, john 
WarToad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1852
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/06 11:01:26 (permalink)
John, I think you forgot that the gentlemen involved would be wearing full three piece wool suits in summer, top hats included.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18665
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/06 11:23:23 (permalink)
plb

seafarer john

Although I have no problem with people who eschew Vermouth in their cocktails, they should not call it a Martini. I, on many occasions, have enjoyed a drink of straight Gin shaken or stirred with lots of ice - but, let's face it, it is merely a drink of straight Gin - not a Martini. 

A MARTINI, BY DEFINITION, IS A COCKTAIL MADE OF GIN AND VERMOUTH - THAT IS, LONDON DRY GIN AND DRY VERMOUTH. 
ADDITION OF AN OLIVE IS OPTIONAL - A PICKLED ONION MAKES IT A GIBSON.

Cheers, John

Didn't we beat this subject to death a couple of years ago.  Didn't we agree that a drink with Vodka was a "Stalinini."
And that a Martini was gin and vermouth. 

We did, indeed agree that made with vodka it's a Stalini. I wish I could remember who got that Melchior of Vodka for winning the name contest. I wonder if it could have been Sushi Girl.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/06 11:25:44 (permalink)
mar52

Michael Hoffman

When I drink a Martini I like it more arid than a desert, and to achieve that I make certain it is made at least two whole rooms away from the nearest vermouth. Mine is always made with gin, as anything with vodka is not a Martini. I want at least three olives on a toothpick in the glass because I might have to leave, and I never drink and drive on an empty stomach.

Michael, don't you realize that with those 3 olives you are using up space that could be occupied by more gin?

One must make sacrifices, and the need for sustenance is undeniable.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/06 11:27:45 (permalink)
DLnWPBrown

sunnyside up

DLnWPBrown

sunnyside up

DLnWPBrown

Dennis in Cary

Dennis in Cary

No offence taken Sunny, I just know how it is. I love her... and experiment on her with alcohol though...LOL . I do keep a fully stocked bar in my house but I don't have any gin. Never liked it.

And Michael, if your idea of a martini is gin only with maybe an olive... wouldn't that be considered a "gin neat"?

Dennis in Cary

I do not believe so. A neat gin would be a shot glass with gin and nothing else, including ice.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 632
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/06 12:08:33 (permalink)
When in the mood, I have a very dry vodka martini, shaken, not stirred.  Lemon peel is best.  It should be served ice cold.

If olives are around, there should be a couple jumbo ones, on the toothpick, please.

Chocolatini, and appletini are just perversions of a good idea gone bad.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/06 12:36:33 (permalink)
seafarer john

Our friend informs us that a Martini bar will go out of business if it serves only one drink (a real Martini - I guess). 

Would that they would go out of business and we could recapture the ambiance of the old saloon with a man behind the bar who could draw a proper beer, mix up a proper cocktail, politely seat the ladies at a table in the other room, and carry on an intelligent conversation with the gentlemen along the bar.

Cheers, john

come to my lab on Saturday, John, I'll have just finished waxing my time machine, so you can take her out for a spin.

Oh, PS: I saw the sneeze, and the Dutchess is looking for you. :o)
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10328
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/06 13:45:02 (permalink)
DLnWPBrown

sunnyside up

DLnWPBrown

sunnyside up

DLnWPBrown

Dennis in Cary

Dennis in Cary

Dennis in Cary

Dennis:
If you don't have any Gin in your bar----I'm Sorry, but you don't have a "Fully Stocked Bar". Gin is one of the Basic Food Groups of a Bar along with Scotch, Bourbon, Vodka, Whiskey (Blended or Straight) & Tequila!!

DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/06 21:38:02 (permalink)
Foodbme none of our friends drink gin, nor do my wife and I so we just don't have it. I do have everythihg else you mentioned including a small bottle of Patrone Silver.

Dennis in Cary
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/07 01:02:14 (permalink)
seafarer john

we could recapture the ambiance of the old saloon with a man behind the bar who could draw a proper beer, and carry on an intelligent conversation with the gentlemen along the bar.

Cheers, john

What's "intelligent conversation" these days, amongst you gentlemen?
Maybe I'm hanging out in the wrong spots, but most bar and poker room conversations tend to be about how the Phillies are doing, stuff like that...

and now that the stock market is rebounding a bit, there are a few stock tips thrown in , here and there...

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/07 01:15:25 (permalink)
ellen4641

seafarer john

we could recapture the ambiance of the old saloon with a man behind the bar who could draw a proper beer, and carry on an intelligent conversation with the gentlemen along the bar.

Cheers, john

Today's "Intelligent Conversation" among Gentlemen in a bar consists of trying to determine if the good looking Chick in the red dress Boobs are real or plastic!   

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/07 10:26:08 (permalink)
Foodbme

ellen4641

seafarer john

Cheers, john

Today's "Intelligent Conversation" among Gentlemen in a bar consists of trying to determine if the good looking Chick in the red dress Boobs are real or plastic!   

I don't know about that. Women may discuss this, but gentlemen don't talk about that, because we don't care either way.  
post edited by Scorereader - 2009/05/07 10:35:52
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/07 11:08:27 (permalink)
It is that chic with the oversized boobs, barely contained in her red dress and ostentatiously hanging them over the bar  who destroys any possibility of intelligent conversation around the bar. 

Simple minded fools that we are, the male animal is rendered mindless, clueless and speechless when confronted with such a sight, and he is unlikely to speculate on their provenance - trusting  instead that they are what he wishes them to be.

Please be assured, Ellen and Foodbme, that any of us would be happy to share a drink and good company at that "table in the other room"...

Cheers, John 

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1852
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/07 12:29:51 (permalink)
I approve of the direction of this thread.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/07 12:51:46 (permalink)
WarToad

I approve of the direction of this thread.

Because I agree with you, someone will likely call it inapporpriate.
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/07 12:56:44 (permalink)
seafarer john

when confronted with such a sight,... he is unlikely to speculate on their provenance - trusting  instead that they are what he wishes them to be.

Cheers, John

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/07 14:20:41 (permalink)
seafarer john

Simple minded fools that we are, the male animal is rendered mindless, clueless and speechless when confronted with such a sight, and he is unlikely to speculate on their provenance - trusting  instead that they are what he wishes them to be.
Cheers, John

There is serious $2.65 Million Dollar Government funded research project underway as we speak to determine the actual physical location of a Man's Brain!!!

seafarer john
Filet Mignon
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/07 21:43:59 (permalink)
One of my favorite human beings, a pretty good President, and a Roadfooder at heart, Bill Clinton put the question of the  location of the male brain to rest about 12 years ago - and some witnesses alleged that he even put a bit of a twist on it...

Cheers, john  
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/08 15:28:00 (permalink)
So a martini is nothing but a gin neat in a fancy glass. Ok, cool.  We then have Stalini's at my house and not martinis even though I have "martini" glass in the cabinet though.

Dennis in Cary
post edited by DLnWPBrown - 2009/05/11 20:34:02
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/11 20:35:23 (permalink)
By the way, had a nice "Stalintini"  this evening after less than good news.

Dennis in Cary
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8498
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/11 20:59:21 (permalink)
My parents had martinis on occasion-always with gin and vermouth.( Mom loved them, Dad prefered scotch)Anyway, I loved the olives that they let soak in the drink( especially anchovy stuffed)My personal experience was when I was 20-went out for a "3 martini" lunch.( drinking age was 18 back then)Lord-I couldnt go to work later that day.I dont care what a martini is called or made of these days-just the thought makes my head spin!!!!
plb
  • Total Posts : 1036
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/11 21:23:37 (permalink)
I always thought that vodka "martinis" were an abonamation.  But I've been reading the original James Bond novels, and he frequently orders them.  If its good enough for James Bond its good enough for me.
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/11 21:55:36 (permalink)
As I mentioned to annpeeples earlier, I had a nice strawberry martini made with fresh strawberries from the local farmer's market..... delightful as I get...... well you know the rest.  

Dennis in Cary
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/11 23:02:47 (permalink)
plb

I always thought that vodka "martinis" were an abonamation.  But I've been reading the original James Bond novels, and he frequently orders them.  If its good enough for James Bond its good enough for me.

I can't imagine 007 drinking anything called a 'Stalini' though - that's as bad as 'SMERSHini'!

I'm afraid I had my fill of gin keeping up with martini-drinking friends who were the Nick and Nora Charles of their generation. I swear my skin smelled like juniper for days...
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/12 13:36:08 (permalink)
James Bond is a character imbued with pompous bad taste. gross appetites, sexism, snobbishness, and childish ideals.

Cheers, john 
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/12 14:02:53 (permalink)
I like vodka martinis, shaken, not stirred, though it is impossible to order such without feeling a fool unless you are Sean Connery, Roger Moore or Pierce Brosnan. A local place, The Acadia, serves a martini with pomegrante juice that i enjoy, whether or not it is really a martini. And seafarer, there is a school of philosophy called the Humpty Dumpty School, which posits that words do mean what we want them to mean
post edited by mr chips - 2009/05/12 19:08:17
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:That is NOT a Martini 2009/05/12 14:16:06 (permalink)
seafarer john

James Bond is a character imbued with pompous bad taste. gross appetites, sexism, snobbishness, and childish ideals.

Cheers, john

I always wondered what I liked about Bond...now I know!
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1