Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 31 to 60 of 124
enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sat, 08/13/05 12:33 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I would recommend a FarmerBurger from the mini-chain of Farmer Boys in SoCal to test against some of those listed. I rate it over In n Out on my list of Best Burgers.

You said a mouthful there Al. Speaking of a mouthful, guess I'll be taking that loooooong 90 second drive to the Slover and Cherry FB's for lunch manana. Let's see, I'll have a Farmer Burger with grilled onions and double guac, order of rings, large DP........

I wouldn't want to make you jealous or anything......

Tommy2dogs

• Total Posts: 348
    RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sat, 08/13/05 8:00 PM (permalink)
    "I'd like to cast a vote (and start an argument, I'm sure) for Fuddruckers in Chicago"

Actually Fuddruckers is with the exception of a few states, a major chain. I agree that their bigers are quite good but feel they are expensive. I always opt for the Hot Dog which is served on a fresh split top bun. I top with grilled onions yellow mustard and Jalapenos

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
      RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sat, 08/13/05 8:56 PM (permalink)
      Interesting. I have been to a Fuddrucker's twice, despite the name, and I only went the second time because I figured the really awful experience I had the first time must have been an abberation. As it turned out, it was not. The burger, ordered medium rare was very, vert well done, and the condiment area was pretty much a pig sty. The same the second time. If anyone in the central Ohio area is wondering, I'm talking about Fuddrucker's on East Main Street in Columbus.

essvee

• Total Posts: 425
        RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sat, 08/13/05 9:46 PM (permalink)
        the fact the man picked burger joint completely invalidates the rest of the list for me. bj isn't even in the top ten in the bay area. it is most definately not a good burger. it is juiceless no matter how it's ordered. whatta crock.

now val's burgers in hayward is probably the best burger i've had in my life. if he had mentioned val's, or even original joe's (grilled over mesquite charcoal on an broiler) or joe's cable car (ground fresh daily) i could cut him a little slack. but bj is such a clueless pick, i'm shocked and aghast this man was even allowed to write this article. i won't be satisfied until he's fired. bring me the head of alan richman, i say.

sorry for the lowercase, hurt my arm.

GB944

• Total Posts: 191
          RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sun, 08/14/05 5:04 PM (permalink)
          Went to Donovan's Pub in Woodside, Queens, NY on Friday (happened to be in the area, so made the trek) and was completely blown away by the quality of the burger, its perfect mating with the soft bun, and the hand cut fries... It's one of those burgers that is worth driving 50 miles for. There's not many in my book that are worth that kind of drive... May be even the best burger I've ever had.

It's rated as the top burger in NYC, and I agree...

gb

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sun, 08/14/05 7:05 PM (permalink)

Hey Fire Capt Jack, Paybacks are a B--ch! At least we have some good BBQ here. But You're right, Those Burgers and the Rings and Squash used to make my day ! Janet loved the Chicken Salad (grilled chicken) made fresh each time she orders it. She can never finish it...so I have plenty of time while she works on the Bunny fodder, to chow on the rings and Zuc.

I won't say anything about Fuddruckers except we had one in Victorville CA for several years. Many of my friends swore by the variety and size of the Burgers. I found them way over done and over priced. I tried them several times (usually on a special lunch coupon ) and NEVER had a good burger.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
              RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Mon, 08/15/05 2:26 AM (permalink)
              Stanich"s here in Portland is one of the best I have ever eaten. Phillips Grocery in Holly Springs, Mississippi was the absolute best.

slackademic

• Total Posts: 51
                RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Mon, 08/15/05 1:24 PM (permalink)
                Fuddruckers? It is the same type of deal as the San Francisco joing described above. Their burgers are way overpriced. I like In N Out as my favorite fast food burger, but my favorite sit down restaurant burgers are at two different places: Hamburger Mary's in San Diego and The Assembly in Hoffman Estates outside of Chicago. The best I ever had was at the Come Back Inn in Melrose Park, IL (Chicago burbs) but it has since gone out of business.

CraigieFresh

• Total Posts: 31
                  RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Mon, 08/15/05 1:30 PM (permalink)
                  Towards the top of my list would have to be Angry Dog. It's a small, sawdust on the floor joint in the Deep Ellum district of Dallas. The picnic-style setup inside relaxes customers as they anxiously await top quality beef burgers grilled to perfection.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
                    RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Mon, 08/15/05 1:33 PM (permalink)
                    Heck, anything in a place called Hoffman Estates has to be extraordinary.

Tommy2dogs

• Total Posts: 348
                      RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Mon, 08/15/05 7:05 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by CraigieFresh

Towards the top of my list would have to be Angry Dog. It's a small, sawdust on the floor joint in the Deep Ellum district of Dallas. The picnic-style setup inside relaxes customers as they anxiously await top quality beef burgers grilled to perfection.

Don't know if this is the same Angry Dog in Deep Ellum I have been to, but while the burgers are pretty good it is anything but small and you can barely hear yourself think above the noise. Of course I have always gone on a weekend night before checking out music venues.

Sandy Thruthegarden

• Total Posts: 624
                        RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Tue, 08/16/05 8:28 AM (permalink)
                        Has anyone ever had a cheeseburger at the Star Valley Cheese Restaurant in Thayne, Wyoming? I had one with swiss years ago and it was one of the best burgers I've ever had. I see on the internet that it's still in existence but wonder if they've kept up the quality.

backfrmIraq

• Total Posts: 73
                          RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Tue, 08/16/05 1:40 PM (permalink)
                          Mobile Register has a bi-annual summer-long quest by food editor David Holloway for the best cheeseburger in LA (lower Alabama)..didn't happen this summer so it must have been done last summer while I was in Iraq....Butch Cassidy's in Midtown took the honors a few years ago....I highly recommend the Butchburger....big 1/2 lber with seasoned, juicey patty, choice of cheeses and good steak fries...best cheeseburge in Iraq/Kuwait was the DFAC (dining facility) in Camp Anaconda, Iraq...chow was pretty good the whole year I was there.....

slackademic

• Total Posts: 51
                            RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Tue, 08/16/05 2:35 PM (permalink)
                            Thank you for your service. Butch Cassidy's sounds good.

NAAMikey

• Total Posts: 193
                              RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Fri, 08/19/05 10:44 AM (permalink)
                              When I lived in LA in the 80's there was a place called "Y Not Burger" on Hawthorne Blvd. in Torrance CA. Does anyone know if it is still there? It was by the Del Amo Mall, and had the best burgers and huge onion rings. I could go for one now....

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                                RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Fri, 08/19/05 9:57 PM (permalink)
                                yes NAAMikey, YNot burger is definitely still there in Torrance , CA!

it is on Hawthorne BLVD, right by the Del Amo mall like you remembered! (they even have some kind of wierd ostrich burger on the menu)

If you ever go back to the area soon, you may enjoy Lucilles Smokehouse BBQ that is now in the Del Amo mall (where Houlihans used to be)..........there are 3 locations that I know of.....big place with decent ribs, even beef ribs, which I like.....very popular place..

I just moved back to NJ 2 years ago from Southern California, and they have a lot of those type of 50's style hamburger stands still around....

I used to love "quick and split" by the LA airport....sadly, that location is now called something else, also I believe they have a few locations still left............there burgers were real "homestyle", and good and messy

Many of the hamburger joints are even open for breakfast as well, and I used to grab some quick heuvos rancheros.............there would be many mexican items on the menus...

ellen

ellen4641

RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Fri, 08/19/05 10:04 PM (permalink)
                                  as far as Fuddruckers goes, I had been to a few locations (Union , NJ on rt 22, and Torrance , and Buena Park, CA).....I've either got a real decent burger a few times, even a real good mesquite chicken sandwich..

However, a bunch of months ago, I patronized the Fuddruckers in Toms River, NJ by the Jersey shore. I could see why that location is now CLOSED ! (it became a Tiffany's Ribs)

During this particular experience, I realized just how overpriced the place was ! (I agree with YOU , those of you who also felt that way!)...it really hit me this time that something was amiss........I remember the burger perhaps being around $8.00. they call you when it's ready........I remember getting a funny feeling cause it was such a big place during prime time dinner hours , and there was only about 3 other people in the place !

something was just not right about that place....

ellen

ellen4641

RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Fri, 08/19/05 10:10 PM (permalink)
                                    and most importantly, the burger was nothing special.
                                    I remember it tasting a lot better a few years ago.

But, alas , next time I went by that Fuddruckers in Toms River, NJ, they were closed ! That validated my feelings about the place!

ellen

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                      RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Fri, 08/19/05 10:28 PM (permalink)
                                      I'm with Ugly Mitch we have a couple of Fuddruckers in the Boston area and they are very good. Chow

NAAMikey

RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sat, 08/20/05 9:50 AM (permalink)
                                        Thanks for the info Ellen...I worked at LAX, but don't remember "lick and split"..Where I lived (Redondo Beach). there were many great places that were only open for breakfast and lunch. Some that come to mind are Unky Roys ( the original,gone now, they biult a hotel there in King Harbor),"Joes" on PCH,Nancy's Food Cellar in Riviera Village, "The Cozy Cafe" on PCH. Also another one that is gone is "Vans". They served breakfast and lunch. Belgian waffles,crepes,Flemish sausage bread with cheese...mmmmm

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                          RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sat, 08/20/05 9:58 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by ellen4641

and most importantly, the burger was nothing special.
                                          I remember it tasting a lot better a few years ago.

But, alas , next time I went by that Fuddruckers in Toms River, NJ, they were closed ! That validated my feelings about the place!

ellen

Fuddruckers. Nothing special. Way to much $$ for what you get. Bland seasoning. Excellent toppings bar, though...

Willly

• Total Posts: 396
                                            RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sat, 08/20/05 10:23 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

"I'd like to cast a vote (and start an argument, I'm sure) for Fuddruckers in Chicago"

Actually Fuddruckers is with the exception of a few states, a major chain. I agree that their bigers are quite good but feel they are expensive. I always opt for the Hot Dog which is served on a fresh split top bun. I top with grilled onions yellow mustard and Jalapenos

You couldn't pay me enough to go to Rudfu**** and top my burger from the same topping bar snot-nosed kids have been playing at all day while their parents look elsewhere...

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                              RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sat, 08/20/05 10:26 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Willly

quote:
                                              Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

You couldn't pay me enough to go to Rudfu**** and top my burger from the same topping bar snot-nosed kids have been playing at all day while their parents look elsewhere...

Oh well, THIS NEVER happened on my ONE visit to FR's.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                                RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sat, 08/20/05 12:11 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

quote:
                                                Originally posted by hawkeyejohn

I live outside of Chicago and never heard of the Chicago joint listed here.

Just went to their website to check them out. Looks a little precious to me. Clearly this is part of a big corporate restaurant group that thought the name Poag Mahone (Gaelic for "kiss my ass") would show the world just how hip and clever they are. It looks exactly the way a burger joint recommended by GQ ought to look. In a city like Chicago where great burgers are readily available in all quarters, choosing Poag Mahone as the best, or even one of the best, shows little interest in quality and more focus on image. Sell the sizzle not the steak; how appropriate for this article and its writers.

Or am I being too cynical?

Well, one could argue that you are being cynical if you just went to the website and pronounced it something that you don't like. If you said that you went, tried the burger, and found that it lacked, then I you might have grounds for an argument.

I think that "judging a book by it's cover" is a big mistake -- and one that Roadfooders should likely try to avoid. MOST people looking for a great meal wouldn't drive into the parking lot of many of the places that we champion around here.

At least the guy didn't direct you to eat chain burgers. I would hope that he thinks you could find those on your own.

ellen4641

• Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                                  RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sat, 08/20/05 4:46 PM (permalink)
                                                  NAA Mikey, and all fellow roadfooders,
                                                  it was called "Quick n' Split" (not "lick n' split" that you erroneously called it)

It was right next to the renowned Randy's Donuts (with their big donut marquee).......on Manchester Blvd and La Cienega......

there should still be a few other locations , in south central LA, further in the hood on Western Ave, and on Vermont Ave.

Hey, did you work for an airline at LAX? I worked for United from June 1999 till I got laid off Oct 2001 (after the Sept 11th disaster)

I was a ramp agent (terminal 6 and 7 ) How about you?

that was ME, driving those beltloaders and with my kneepads on in the baggage bin! (amazing what I did , being a petite female!)

Did you ever have the lunch buffet at that Shakey's pizza parlor, on Aviation Blvd. ? It was'nt bad , in a fix...

there are a lot of places with names like "Steve's burgers" and Jims burgers in that southern ca. area. I love that.

ellen

One of my favorites is the B & R Burgers on Rosecrans Ave in Hawthorne........real good messy homestyle burgers......

essvee

RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sat, 08/20/05 5:36 PM (permalink)
                                                    i must weigh in with my ever so important opinion of fudd's. i went once, piqued by their "corporate" claim of making the world's best hamburger. i ordered a one-pounder, medium rare. it came out cooked all the way through yet sickly gray on the outside, without a trace of the brown that would indicate it had spent some some time on an actual grill. a fascinating achievement but, alas, kicking their grandiose corporate claim to an heretofore unexperienced culinary area of sheer delusionary bullpickles. it was as if long john silver's claimed that it served the world's best seafood.

just thinking about all this has given me the vapors. i must lay down with a cool cloth over my eyes. thanks for listening.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                                                      • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sat, 08/20/05 6:03 PM (permalink)
                                                      EssVee,
                                                      Bull****Pickles is a very accurate descriptor of what the company was claiming , we really prefer use of modifiers that don't reveal the complete term to the under 12 reading audience. Thank you for understanding the sensitive needs of our membership. Your edit of the error in terminology will be is appreciated.

Ellen,
                                                      A generation before your time my Brother in law started his career with Western Airlines at LAX in the job you had. He went to Ontario and then up to PDX at Portland for the rest of his working career. When Delta absorbed Western Airlines, he hung on for a few years but when he had his 25 in, it was time to retire. That part of the family have loved Oregon from the minute they arrived.

The only food stop in the South Bay area I have good recall on was the Victoria Station on Hawthorne near PCH. They did great Oysters Rockefeller and Steaks to follow and their drinks were really 'full-strength'!

essvee

RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sat, 08/20/05 6:07 PM (permalink)
                                                        please accept my apologies on behalf of the readership, mr. mayor. post edited as requested.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                                                          • Location: Madison, WI
                                                          RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sat, 08/20/05 7:39 PM (permalink)
                                                          The Blue Moon in Madison, WI gets my vote as the best I've eaten anywhere, and I have lived in 24 states and been in all. Fudruckers is so lowly they shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread.

NAAMikey

• Location: Hopewell Junction, NY
                                                            RE: The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die Sat, 08/20/05 9:13 PM (permalink)
                                                            Ellen...sorry aqbout the "quick and split". I guess i wasn't paying attention. I worked for Avis RAC from 1979-1987 when I moved back here to Dutchess county NY. As for Shakey's..it wasn't bad. I prefered breakfast to burgers mostly anyway because I worked from 3-11pm and slept late, and then the next day had a nice leisurly (sp?) breafast from someplace at the beach before going back to LAX. By the way..the Houlihans that you mentioned that was at the Del Amo Mall, I had my wedding rehearsal dinner there and the next day was the reception across the street at the Holiday Inn.

Mr Mayor...I also remember Victoria Station on Hawthorne...good food there.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 31 to 60 of 124

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com