The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4591
2004/02/28 21:00:43 (permalink)

The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory

I bothers me when the local food critic gets excited that we are finally getting a location of one or another chain restaurants here.

Her latest excitement centers on the[url='http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/']Cheesecake Factory[/url]. Seems one just opened in the NE-ish side of town in mid February, and her 'article' can be found [url='http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/022704_cheesecakefactory_buzz.html']here[/url].

That said, I kinda have to look aside from this blatantly positive piece and ask about any real experiences at this place, if anyone would be willing to share one, regardless of the fact that this is not really a roadfood topic. I'd appreciate it.

30 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15285
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/02/28 21:21:51 (permalink)
    We have a place called the Cheesecake Factory in Louisville, but it isn't a restaurant/deli. It is a bakery/factory that makes cheesecakes for sale in the local markets and restaurants. In the front office they have a refrigerated case where they sell 'seconds', cakes that didn't pass the retail inspection and quality control. These are usually 'cracked tops' or broken crusts. Prices range between $3 and $6 per cake depending on content and size. Real bargains for us cheesecake lovers.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/02/28 21:29:35 (permalink)
    I just edited in the link to the CF chain, mr Mayor, and I don't think there is any relation between the place in Louisville and this....near as I can tell.

The CF in Louisville sounds great, tho :-) The local Big Lots has a frozen good case, and Eli's cheesecakes (rejected for being baked a bit too much, too dark on top) used to appear there all the time, at 2 bucks a cheesecake. Talk about a sweet deal :-)
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6882
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/02/28 21:41:15 (permalink)
    I was attending a convention in Miami, travelling with a colleague who had a sister and hubby down there. They all invite me to join them for dinner in a restaurant. I think, "Cool! They know where to go for good grouper, snapper, shrimp, mahi, etc.!" They took me to Cheesecake Factory in a mall. No bashing intended here, but I was VERY VERY disappointed to not be sitting outside, looking at the ocean, enjoying the warm weather (it was colder than heck when I had left Boston) and eating grouper! I had farm-raised salmon which was the only fish on the menu.
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/02/29 00:56:26 (permalink)
    TJ, it sounds like you've never been to a Cheesecake Factory. It's only just about the most profitable successful chain of the past 10 - 15 years. They are huge places with even bigger menus, and bigger still plates of food, at not so big prices. People wait for hours to be seated. They seem to have located at very popular malls and are always packed. There are at least 4 locations here in the Baltimore Washington area. It's probably my 19 year old niece's favorite place. She's a picky eater but would gladly eat here 5 times a week. I rather enjoy it too, the french fries are shoestring style and constantly coming out of the fryers nice and hot and plentiful.

But if I'm coming to Cincinnati, I'll be eating chili, coneys, and double deckers.
    eaglerich
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/02/29 04:28:40 (permalink)
    I waited tables for a very short time at the Grand Lux Cafe in Las Vegas, which is another concept of the Cheesecake Factory. They share the same philosophy and many of the same menu items. Everything Signman said is true. The restaurants are large and nicely appointed. The menu is huge, as are the portions. Servers recommend sharing entres. The emphasis is on quality food and quality service. The vast majority of the food is prepared fresh from scratch in the restaurant daily. I don't think there's even a microwave in the entire restaurant. Servers train for two weeks before even approaching a table, and then they work with a designated training server for four or five shifts, and then work a half station for another four or five shifts before getting their own station. The food and service are consistently good, and that's why they are so popular. They are worth checking out. Also, the cheesecake is very good.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13509
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/02/29 05:49:55 (permalink)
    The sundancer has visited many of the Cheesecake Factories and my personal opinion is that they are super. My favorite one is in King of Prussia, but I have been to the one in Chicago and other cities.

The menu is so huge that it makes a selection a bit of a difficult thing but once done, I have not been disappointed in anything. Great pasta selection and as the menu and name would indicated, the cheese cake selection is very good.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/02/29 08:19:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

The sundancer has visited many of the Cheesecake Factories and my personal opinion is that they are super. My favorite one is in King of Prussia, but I have been to the one in Chicago and other cities.

The menu is so huge that it makes a selection a bit of a difficult thing but once done, I have not been disappointed in anything. Great pasta selection and as the menu and name would indicated, the cheese cake selection is very good.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I have never been to one. We have heard that they are great but that there is a long wait any time of day you might want to go. My daughter in law and I have asked our son to go with us to try the one in downtown Baltimore out but his answer remains a firm "LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO BE IN CHAINS".
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/02/29 10:42:38 (permalink)
    I've eaten at CF in Indianapolis several times and its always been very good. The menu is only slightly smaller than a Sears catalogue but they seem to be able to pull it off. That said, I will usually try to find a good non-chain, non-corporate restaurant when I'm someplace new. I do like one other chain though - Dicks Last Resort - because its so much fun to go to with a group of friends and get insulted by the waiters.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/01 00:19:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input - and no, I've never been to one before.

Wow, not a bad comment in the bunch, and for a chain to boot. Lordy! :-)
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5422
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/26 07:59:46 (permalink)
    I haven't thought about this chain in years! I'm leaving for the Metro DC area in about 5 minutes. I know where we're going for lunch today, Tyson's Corner and the CF there.

I'll post back, probably tonight.

MikeS.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/26 09:20:05 (permalink)
    Long time no see, MikeSh!
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/26 09:30:54 (permalink)
    Several years ago, my boss and and a number of people on our staff went to lunch at a Cheesecake Factory in the Washington, D.C. area. My boss ordered a salad and an entree. When the waitress brought his salad, my boss found a large, green caterpiller in it, happily munching away on the lettuce. He brought this to the attention of the waitress, who, of course, apologized profusely and brought my boss another salad. The management also offered to give my boss his lunch for free, but he declined.

Now, I'm not a particularly squeamish person or a picky eater. My parents own a farm in rural Maryland and have a garden and an orchard. I have often found worms in their apples and corn (they don't use pesticides), and I just cut out the bad parts and eat the rest. In fact, I have come to view the presence of these creatures as something of a positive -- if eating the food in question hasn't killed them, it probably won't harm me. So I would not have freaked had I been in my boss' shoes, and I believe to his credit, neither did he (although I would have accepted the free lunch offer!). But what this showed me was that, at least at this Cheesecake Factory, someone back in the kitchen was not doing a good job of cleaning the produce.

As for the food as a whole, I found it ordinary at best, and I am amazed that a food critic in a fairly large city like Cincinnati would find it noteworthy. In my view, it isn't even the best restaurant chain around, taking a back seat to places like Pappadeux Seafood Kitchen, Houston's and Maggiano's. Yes, the cheesecake is good and they have a lot of different kinds, but you can get cheesecake that is just as good or better at any number of bakeries or other restaurants. Probably the most telling comment I can make about the quality of the food at the Cheesecake Factory that I ate at is that I have absolutely no memory of what I or any of my colleagues had, except for my boss' salad with that extra bit of protein!
    lasersailor
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/26 09:44:14 (permalink)
    First time post.

I must admit that I have not eaten at a CF either and being from Cincinnati, I have not missed all the local news about the new eatery and how Cinci is on the map now that we have one (Cinci has never needed a chain in residence to be considered a great food town). Anyone that has a car and has driven further that the mailbox has probably seen (and maybe eaten at) a CF in recent years. I must also admit that my curiosity was peaked while walking past our local CF and again while in Columbus to consider eating there, unfortunately the long wait and my hunger kept me from doing so. I have asked others and have heard nothing but the highest praise for the establishment.

Like many of you, my wife and I try to steer clear of chains. We need to be careful though that we as Roadfooders don't become Roadfood snobs. We may miss out on a wonderful dining experience (the most enjoyable part being the family that probably dragged you there) at one of the few chains in this country that actually care as much about the food their serving as the money their earning.

I will surely be giving CF a try soon...then I will stop at Camp on the way home to beg forgiveness from the Roadfood gods.

Matt S.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1093
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/26 09:48:01 (permalink)
    I have been once to the Cheesecake Factory at Easton Towncenter in Columbus, OH. I think we waited about 90 minutes for a table on a Sunday afternoon. The food wasn't bad and the portions certainly were huge but I just can't justify waiting that long to eat somewhere unless its really great. There are too many other good restaurants around that either take reservations or aren't that crowded. If I'm going to stand there staring at the walls for an extended period of time, it had better be for something that I can't get at a hundred other places.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/26 14:18:43 (permalink)
    Overall, from what everyone seems to be saying, it is worth at least a single try, albeit it should generally be on a weekday or other off-peak time
    lasersailor
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/26 14:54:23 (permalink)
    Ahhhhhh - the dissenters are coming out! Maybe I won't make a special trip after all. I'll wait until family or friends decide to meet there and let one of them wait in line. BTW - Ballpark mentioned Friday's - Friday's and O' Charley's are the only restaraunts (to date) that I refuse to eat at even if family or friends are meeting there. To many bad meals at Friday's. Don't get me started on O' Charley's - barfsville literally!

Enjoying this thread! Matt S.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/28 18:23:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Long time no see, MikeSh!

Thanks TJ. We lost our internet at work, where I used to connect from and just haven't had time to from home. I now have more time and I went to DSL almost a month ago. Boy, do I like DSL.

Anyways, you'll be seeing more of me now.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/28 20:04:48 (permalink)
    Welcome back, my favorite West Virginia Bubba
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/29 07:59:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by redtressed

Welcome back, my favorite West Virginia Bubba

Thank Ya Darlin' I'm still holding down the Eastern Panhandle for ya.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/29 08:12:57 (permalink)
    Ok, so I did make it to CF in Tyson's Corner (MacLean) Va. last Friday. We got there right about 1230 and had to wait about 20 minutes to get seated. Unfortunately for us our DR appts. ran late.

As stated above the spiral bound menu did have ads, which I thought was tacky. I did like the decor of the place though. It was a long rectangle but had high ceilings, columns, murals and a nice paint scheme. A Greek or Roman effect, I'm not sure which. Hey I'm a computer jockey, not an architect

Picky Peggy finally decided on the chicken breast done in 2 kinds of Italian cheese with angel hair pasta, sauce on the side. I had the chicken and shrimp Jambalaya over linguini. Hers was pretty good but I'm not a fan of chicken breast, too dry for me. My Jambalaya was pretty good. Tasty with a nice heat kick to it. The heat centered in the front of the mouth and the lips even. Not the back of the mouth or throat. So I'm not sure what they heated it up with.

The service was very good and the cheesecake was too. Fresh whipped cream and fresh banana slices on my piece of banana cream cheesecake. I really liked it. Picky Peggy didn't. She had rasberry truffle with white chocolate. It was OK.

Will we go back? Yeah, some day. We'll just try to beat the lunch crowd.

MikeS.
    albinoni
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/29 09:50:29 (permalink)
    I want to say something negative about the CF but really, I can't. Our first experience with a CF was several years ago--we were in downtown Denver at lunchtime, starving, and it was the first snowfall of the late autumn season--big wet sloppy snow that made you want to do anything but wander around looking for a place to eat. We came upon a CF near where we parked--never heard of them before, because they'd yet to open any in the NY-NJ area. The place was huge, and it was packed. We sat at the bar and ordered dinners there--I had the skirt steak w/ mashed potatoes, and I was very impressed. I learned that this was a chain and I was surprised that the food was that high quality. I generally avoid chains--and this includes the CF, because like most of us here, I'd rather support a local indie than a board of directors. I'm also deterred by the crowds and waiting times.

So just two months ago, our business took us to King of Prussia Mall, and the first night we were there, it was late, we were starved, and there was a CF right there. Not too long a wait for a table either, so we went in, and I had the exact same meal. Tasted exactly the same. But there was a very long wait from the time we were seated until the time we were served. After 20 minutes my wife said something to our waitress, whose response was (and I'm not kidding) that "20 minutes is considered an acceptable waiting time under Cheesecake Factory's corporate guidelines". The experience totally reaffirmed my core belief that chains are to be avoided unless absolutely positively necessary.

BTW, the next night we went to TGI Friday's. The food was an abomination.

Charlie
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/29 10:30:34 (permalink)
    I've been to three Cheesecake Factories. For what it is (chain, family restaurant), I believe it was very good. I don't get waiting 45 minutes for a table -- which I did once when I was with a friend who was taking me as his guest. It's not THAT good. I'm also surprised when I hear folks -- such as my friend -- tell me it's their favorite restaurant. But, that aside, I would very happily eat at one again. The desserts were great, and the meal was pretty good.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/30 11:59:45 (permalink)
    I'm sure the Cheesecake Factory is a fine establishment, as far as chains go, though I've never eaten there. But it depresses me to no end when I see hordes of tourists lined up to go to the one at the John Hancock Center here in Chicago. These people are walking distance from some of the most interesting Roadfood around, yet they choose to go to a place they could probably find in their local mall. I just can't figure out why some people are so unadventurous when it comes to food. It reminds me of going to Barcelona, Spain with my college choir and seeing fellow choir members immediately start searching for the nearest McDonald's and KFCs.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/30 12:05:25 (permalink)
    As for her article, all I can say is: Very sad. Sad for Cincinnati, sad for America when the opening of some monster chain's new outlet gets that kind of free publicity from the local press. And for anyone who says this is their favorite restaurant, my sympathies.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7849
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/03/30 12:23:47 (permalink)
    I'll have to admit, the Cheesecake factory is one of the few chains I tolerate. They are located at Providence Place Mall and it's a good place to go before the Waterfire Display on the river Downtown. However I would never be caught dead going to a Cheesecake factory or any other chain when I travel.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/04/23 09:26:13 (permalink)
    The local food critic in Cincinnati takes another blow to her credibility this week, as she once again focuses in on the Cheesecake Factory: http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/042304_cheesecakefactory.html
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4041
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/04/23 13:06:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

The local food critic in Cincinnati takes another blow to her credibility this week, as she once again focuses in on the Cheesecake Factory: http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/042304_cheesecakefactory.html

Review? Is that what it was? Seemed more like a paid ad to me, so I understand your comment about the reviewer's credibility. That said, I've eaten at the Cheesecake Factory several times--------never my request, but when friends suggest it I certainly don't mind going. It's true, you can find a little bit of everything and I think that's part of the appeal. The thai noodles are worth trying . Not outstanding food but certainly enjoyable. And the cheesecake (Chocolate Macadamia Nut Raspberry is great!) is really good.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/04/23 14:02:24 (permalink)
    It's just that she should be reviewing unique locally owned places, not Wendy's, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc. Yes, that place is unique to Cincinnati, but it is neither locally owned nor truly unique.....

Yeah, I get the feeling that the Enquirer's ownership owns some stock in CF's parent company, or vice versa
    RedPatti
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: The 'BIG' News in Cincinnati: Cheesecake Factory 2004/04/23 14:20:03 (permalink)
    The Cheesecake Factory started out in SoCal providing desserts to lots of high end restaurants. At the "factory" they had a little sandwich business for their employees and other lucky people who found them in the middle of an industrial park. I was one of the lucky people, the cafeteria line was only 10 feet long and they had 4 tables or you took it to go but was well worth it in the year 1982. It is even better now sitting in a nicely appointed restaurant with very happy workers and diners around you. Cheers to the Cheesecake Factory whose quality is consistent and always the best. The carrot cake cheesecake is my favorite. Everyone leaves with a tasteful bag to go since the portions are so generous. It is always a when you go to the Cheesecake Factory.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1