The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken

AtHomeGourmet

• Total Posts: 14
The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken Wed, 08/10/05 3:58 PM (permalink)
Thought I would share.

The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken
By: Scott Schirkofsky

A popular method of cooking chicken in recent years both in Barbeque contest as well as backyard barbeques is the beer-can chicken. Cooking a beer-can chicken couldn’t be any easier but the results are worthwhile. This is a technique that delivers a moist, succulent chicken and flavorful chicken. It’s also a bit of a showstopper and makes a lively conversation starter as well. Is it chicken in a beer can? Close but try beer can in a chicken. The beer is used to both keep the bird flavorful and moist, and the cook happy. By the time the bird is ready to eat, the chef will not be the only one with a beer belly!

Is it safe to eat chicken that has been in contact with the ink from a beer can? When the FDA was asked this question they were not sure because they have only tested the cans as a container and not as a cooking utensil. However the ink on the cans is applied at a temperature in excess of 500 degrees while the can never get hotter then 215 degrees during the cooking process. The conclusion by most is that there is nothing harmful in using the cans.

For those cooks who still worry about possible contamination, vertical stainless steel chicken roasters are available. These roasters have their own reservoir for beer, water or your choice of liquid.

1 whole chicken
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons of your favorite dry spice rub
1 can beer

Preparing the chicken
Remove and discard neck and giblets from chicken. Rinse chicken inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Rub or brush the chicken lightly with oil then season inside and out with salt, pepper and dry rub.

Open a can of beer and drink half. Wait 5 minutes then drink the other half and open a second can for the chicken. Drink half of the second beer and reserve remainder of beer for the bird. Using a "church key"-style can opener, pop a few more holes in the top of the can so that the moisture will be able to escape.

With the can on a steady surface, lower the chicken onto the can. It should stand on it’s own using the legs and can as a tri-pod. Refrigerate the bird while you get your grill or smoker setup.

Preparing the grill
Whether you intend to grill or smoke the bird, the goal is indirect heat. No coals or burner directly under the chicken. Place a drip pan under where you intend the bird to sit. If you are grilling, turn the burners to medium-high on one side of your grill and place the bird on the other side.

Cooking the chicken
Continue to cook the chicken over medium-high with the grill cover on for approximately 1 1/4 – 1 1/2 hours. The chicken will be done when the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F in the breast area and 180 degrees F in the thigh. Remove from grill with tongs and move to cutting board. Be careful not to spill the beer when removing the can. Let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before carving. Toss the beer can out along with the carcass.

http://www.athomegourmet.com

PaulBPool

• Total Posts: 278
    RE: The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken Wed, 08/10/05 4:06 PM (permalink)
    I've been doing beer can chicken on the grill since last summer. The first couple, I just stuffed the beer can in the chicken and propped it up on the grill. Now, though, I've bought a can/chicken rack - you can get 'em at WalMart for about $4.50 and they're worth it, they help hold the chicken straight up.
    I generally season the bird according to what I'm in the mood for; sometimes I use lemon pepper and fresh lemons in the bird's cavity, sometimes I do a bbq flavor using a rub and some sauce, and once in a while I'll do a cajun bird. It's also helpful to put an onion or an apple in the chicken's neck hole, to help keep the moisture and heat in the bird (not everyone knows this trick).
    Each time I've used the beer can method, the chicken comes out moist, tender, very juicy and flavorful.
    For those who might like to know, I use a Char-Broil three burner gas grill - I put the bird on one end of the grill and leave that burner off, I put the other two burners on "medium" and let it go. For all the jokes....it makes a mighty good meal!

AtHomeGourmet

RE: The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken Wed, 08/10/05 4:17 PM (permalink)
      Paul I like the idea of using an onion or an apple. Good suggestion! I guess a few lemon wedges would be very good as well. Now you have me dying to do another bird to try that out. It also has me thinking as to what would happen with seasoned beer or water in the can. Think it would make a difference?

I agree that it definately helps to just heat one side of the grill. First time I did a beer-can chicken and the outside was done WAY too quickly compared to the inside. I'm not sure why I keep resisting buying the rack. Maybe I'm just trying to be old school about it or then again maybe I'm just stubborn. I actually bought one for a friends as a gift but have yet to get my own.

I like to cover the bird with my pork and poultry seasoning that I sell on my site. Not here to sell the product just what I use. Among the ingredients are: Ancho Chili, Del Arbor Chili, Fennel, Corriander, Cinnamon, Cumin, Cloves etc... Very tasy combination!

Thanks for the suggestion on the apple and onion!

plb

RE: The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken Wed, 08/10/05 6:06 PM (permalink)
        There have been at least two long threads on this subject in the last year or two. AKA Chicken on a throne, or ChickCan.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
          RE: The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken Wed, 08/10/05 6:08 PM (permalink)
          Take a look at the new Weber Poultry Roaster. Beer-Can chicken without the beer can.

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/shop/product/view.aspx?ProductID=1073

AtHomeGourmet

RE: The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken Wed, 08/10/05 6:38 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by plb

There have been at least two long threads on this subject in the last year or two.

Sorry abouy the duplication plb but I'm a new member and saw no current threads on this topic.

Michael - that Weber unit looks nice. Might also help keeping direct heat off the chicken. Nice thing about using a can is that there is no clean up!

kipnita

• Total Posts: 12
              RE: The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken Fri, 08/26/05 12:22 PM (permalink)
              A couple of tips from a "beer butt" veteran. I don't have an excess of grill space. I usually grill two "beer butts" on indirect heat (with a foil pan of water underneath), but occasionally I need additional "bird" to feed a crowd.
              Place the chicken (on the can) in a foil pie tin. The pie tin catches the grease, is cheap and disposable. In this fashion, I can get up to four birds on my grill, enough to feed even a crowd of hungry cajuns!
              Another tip, when you purchase the chicken buy a pack of wings. Season the wings and put them around the base of the chicken, in the pie tin, preferably with the meaty portions propped up around the edge of the pie tin to keep the wings from "frying" in the grease of the chicken. These cook quicker than the birds and are great appetizers! Serve them with blue cheese dressing, Louisiana hot sauce or buffalo wing sauce. Enjoy!

AtHomeGourmet

RE: The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken Mon, 08/29/05 12:22 PM (permalink)
                I LOVE the idea of wings around the birds!! Out of curiousity how do you typically like to season your birds?

I agree that this is the greatest way to cook a moist bird with little effort. It never goes wrong.

Sundancer7

RE: The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken Tue, 08/30/05 5:48 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by AtHomeGourmet

I LOVE the idea of wings around the birds!! Out of curiousity how do you typically like to season your birds?

I agree that this is the greatest way to cook a moist bird with little effort. It never goes wrong.

Believe it or not, it is almost impossible to season the bird incorrectly. I have tried it several ways and each works. I have used BBQ sauce, dry rub, nothing at all, salt and pepper and all turns out super.

Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

AtHomeGourmet

RE: The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken Wed, 08/31/05 10:44 AM (permalink)
                    I agree that it's tough to blo it when it comes to seasoning. I'm just curious what others do with regards to seasoning. I seel a pork and poultry seasoning that I use most of the time but I agree that even just salt and pepper turns our well. An Italian blend also works very well.

skylar0ne

• Total Posts: 473
                      RE: The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken Mon, 09/5/05 10:59 AM (permalink)
                      We made beer can chicken yesterday, and it was awesome! About the only thing we did differently from most of the other recipes here was use a mixture of chardonney and beer in the can, instead of just beer. We put butter and garlic inside the bird and under the skin, but didn't use anything but olive oil on the outside. The two of us ate the whole 41/2 lb bird for lunch.

plb

RE: The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken Wed, 09/7/05 11:24 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by AtHomeGourmet

I agree that it's tough to blo it when it comes to seasoning. I'm just curious what others do with regards to seasoning. I seel a pork and poultry seasoning that I use most of the time but I agree that even just salt and pepper turns our well. An Italian blend also works very well.

I usually use a spicy Mexican poultry rub I found at Whole Foods.

Wallyum

• Total Posts: 627
                          RE: The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken Wed, 09/7/05 11:49 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by PaulBPool

I've been doing beer can chicken on the grill since last summer. The first couple, I just stuffed the beer can in the chicken and propped it up on the grill. Now, though, I've bought a can/chicken rack - you can get 'em at WalMart for about $4.50 and they're worth it, they help hold the chicken straight up.
                          I generally season the bird according to what I'm in the mood for; sometimes I use lemon pepper and fresh lemons in the bird's cavity, sometimes I do a bbq flavor using a rub and some sauce, and once in a while I'll do a cajun bird. It's also helpful to put an onion or an apple in the chicken's neck hole, to help keep the moisture and heat in the bird (not everyone knows this trick).
                          Each time I've used the beer can method, the chicken comes out moist, tender, very juicy and flavorful.
                          For those who might like to know, I use a Char-Broil three burner gas grill - I put the bird on one end of the grill and leave that burner off, I put the other two burners on "medium" and let it go. For all the jokes....it makes a mighty good meal!

Thanks for the tips, Paul. Sounds like we're running the same setup. I guess I'll be hitting Wallyworld for the parts later today. I've always been curious about this process and now I really have no reason not to try it.

blohatchii

• Total Posts: 49
                            RE: The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken Thu, 09/8/05 1:10 AM (permalink)
                            When it comes to seasoning my chicken most of the time I will use Everglades Seasonings.
                            But I get tons or raves when I season my chicken with Bell's poultry season and Season Salt. Broiled, baked or grilled I get asked all the time. "What did you season this with its great", when I say Bell's and Season salt. The response is

blohatchii

• Total Posts: 49
                              RE: The Almighty Beer-Can Chicken Thu, 09/8/05 1:13 AM (permalink)
                              Sorry sent to soon.

But the response is usually "THAT'S ALL.
                              Simple, but oh! so tastey.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com