The Annual "Stella Awards"!

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10408
2014/02/20 22:01:25 (permalink)

The Annual "Stella Awards"!

It's time again for the annual 'Stella Awards'! For those unfamiliar with these awards, they are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued the McDonald's in New Mexico, where she purchased coffee. You remember, she took the lid off the coffee and put it between her knees while she was driving. Who would ever think one could get burned doing that, right? That's right; these are awards for the most outlandish lawsuits and verdicts in the U.S. You know, the kinds of cases that make you scratch your head. So keep your head scratcher handy.
* SEVENTH PLACE *
 Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The store owners were understandably surprised by the verdict, considering the running toddler was her own son . Start scratching!
* SIXTH PLACE *
Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles, California, won $74,000 plus medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps. Scratch some more...
* FIFTH PLACE *
Terrence Dickson, of Bristol, Pennsylvania, who was leaving a house he had just burglarized by way of the garage. Unfortunately for Dickson, the automatic garage door opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the garage to the house locked when Dickson pulled it shut. Forced to sit for eight, count 'em, EIGHT days and survive on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the homeowner's insurance company claiming undue mental Anguish. Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay Dickson $500,000 for his anguish. We should all have this kind of anguish. Keep scratching
* FOURTH PLACE *
Jerry Williams, of Little Rock, Arkansas, garnered 4th Place in the Stella's when he was awarded $14,500 plus medical expenses after being bitten on the butt by his next door neighbor's beagle - even though the beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. Williams did not get as much as he asked for because the jury believed the beagle might have been provoked at the time of the butt bite because Williams had climbed over the fence into the yard and repeatedly shot the dog with a pellet gun. Pick a new spot to scratch
* THIRD PLACE *
Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania because a jury ordered a Philadelphia restaurant to pay her $113,500 after she slipped on a spilled soft drink and broke her tailbone. The reason the soft drink was on the floor: Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument. Only two more so ease up on the scratching

*SECOND PLACE
*Kara Walton, of Claymont , Delaware sued the owner of a night club in a nearby city because she fell from the bathroom window to the floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Even though Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies room window to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge, the jury said the night club had to pay her $12,000....oh, yeah, plus dental expenses. Go figure. Keep scratching
* FIRST PLACE *
This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was: Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, who purchased new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, from an OU football game, having driven on to the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her, are you sitting down?
$1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home.
If you think the American court system is out of control, be sure to pass this one on.

16 Replies Related Threads

eatnrun1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:The Annual "Stella Awards"! 2014/02/21 00:36:58 (permalink)
    All bogus.

snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.asp
    post edited by eatnrun1 - 2014/02/21 00:38:00
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 585
    Re:The Annual "Stella Awards"! 2014/02/21 02:49:45 (permalink)
    eatnrun1

All bogus.

Except Stella, the namesake of the award.   Hers is true.  She actually did get awarded damages for spilling hot coffee on herself.   No fault of McD's.   The award was later reduced, but she still did collect a huge chunk of cash.   Should've been zero, and she should've been thrown out of court by the judge.  
    The people who support Stella's award say that McDonalds' coffee was too hot, and McDonald's had been warned several times that it was too hot.  Hmmm, who would've thought HOT coffee was actually hot? 
          I wonder if people can send repeated warnings to some knife companies saying their knives are too sharp,  ... then cut myself, and then sue 'em?   Same logic as Stella's award.  
    Both of those should come under misuse of the product at the consumer's end by the free will choices made by the consumer. 

Oh, and my car can exceed the speed limit.  The manufacturer makes it too fast!   The cashing in possibilities are endless!   

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2014/02/21 03:15:36
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8699
    Re:The Annual "Stella Awards"! 2014/02/21 08:01:54 (permalink)
    Thanks, Glenn. People believe social media too much. And don't take responsibility.
    harriet1954
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:The Annual "Stella Awards"! 2014/02/21 10:43:21 (permalink)
    Ah, Glenn (and eatnrun), ya beat me to it! The one with Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, was the one that had me googling. Too much B.S. being passed on. I see stuff like this on Facebook all the time coming from new users, or those who are new to computers altogether. They don't remember or weren't online to get all those chain emails...
    post edited by harriet1954 - 2014/02/21 10:44:22
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:The Annual "Stella Awards"! 2014/02/21 15:52:53 (permalink)
    eatnrun1
    All bogus.

I usually verify stuff like this but I didn't on this one since I knew that the "Stella Story" was a true one.
    Just shows to go ya, even a genius can get sucked in sometimes.!" /> 
    You gotta admit, these stories are a little humorous and who knows-----Something just as crazy as these stories could happen some day!!!
    My apologies to all!
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:The Annual "Stella Awards"! 2014/02/21 16:12:11 (permalink)
    Not to worry!
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:The Annual "Stella Awards"! 2014/02/21 16:40:19 (permalink)
    <<...."Something just as crazy as these stories could happen some day!!! "....>>

While the ones reference earlier are fakes, there are, unfortunately, lots of ridiculous lawsuits in this over-litigious society.  I like the British system of "loser pays".  It greatly reduces the amount of frivolous lawsuits because the plaintiff knows he will end up paying the legal costs of the defendent if the plaintiff loses.   Of course, American Ambulance Cha...  I mean trial lawyers don't like that system. 

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2014/02/21 16:41:42
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1351
    Re:The Annual "Stella Awards"! 2014/02/21 17:19:20 (permalink)
    Glenn1234
    Except Stella, the namesake of the award.   Hers is true. 

Well, it's the version the McDonald's spin doctors tried to push. The article in Snopes points to this: https://www.caoc.org/index.cfm?pg=facts

Bart
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7967
    Re:The Annual "Stella Awards"! 2014/02/21 19:21:01 (permalink)
    Very simple solution for frivolous lawsuits
    Counter sue  the plaintiff, and third party in the plaintiff attorney as an additional defendant , you can do this pro se (without an attorney). Then both will be forced to hire new attorneys, but will likely run for the hills and drop their lawsuits instead.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:The Annual "Stella Awards"! 2014/02/21 20:27:16 (permalink)
    bartl

Glenn1234
    Except Stella, the namesake of the award.   Hers is true. 

Well, it's the version the McDonald's spin doctors tried to push. The article in Snopes points to this: https://www.caoc.org/index.cfm?pg=facts

Bart

Bart - 

From the link you posted (It's a lawyer's site ... certainly not unbiased.  Yes, there is fact, but there is also biased opinion there.) ....

<<...."She had the cup between her knees while removing the lid to add cream and sugar when the cup tipped over and spilled the entire contents on her lap."....>>

Looks like she still spilled it on HERSELF.   No? 

That link also says:
    <<..."The coffee was not just “hot,” but dangerously hot."....>>

I don't care of it was at boiling.  She spilled it on herself.  Can knives be dangerously sharp?  Can cars be dangerously fast?   If you misuse any product ... drive too fast ... cut yourself ... or spill coffee on your self ,  .... you can find a way to hurt yourself.  

The link also says:  
    <<..."Liebeck’s case was far from an isolated event. McDonald’s had received more than 700 previous reports of injury from its coffee..."..>>

Even if it's 100,000 reports from 100,000 leaches trying to cash in, if you burn yourself, it's on you.   Now, if it was a McD's employee who dumped the coffee on Stella, then I'd be in agreement with her receiving an award for damages. 

When you receive a coffee, there is an expectation that it will be HOT.   When people drink bottled water from a water bottle, they can open it up and chug away without fear of being burned.   That is the expectation.  Do reasonable people who receive a fresh hot coffee drink it right down?   Nope, they don't.  They first take a test sip.  A reasonable person would have the expectation that hot coffee might be hot, or even "too hot" to drink immediately.  People take a cautious test sip, don't they?   Why do they do that?   It's because a reasonable person has an expectation that the coffee might be hot, or even too hot to drink immediately.   ... And spilling it on oneself is certainly not an intended use of the product. ... And neither is cutting yourself with a knife, or driving a car 100 mph in a residential zone, even though knives and many cars can do that. 

bartl
    • Total Posts : 1351
    Re:The Annual "Stella Awards"! 2014/02/22 17:40:58 (permalink)
    Glenn1234
    From the link you posted (It's a lawyer's site ... certainly not unbiased.  Yes, there is fact, but there is also biased opinion there.) ....

There are numerous references listed in the Wikipedia article on the subject (note I am not using Wikipedia as an authority; simply as a source of links to more authoritative sources). And the woman was found partially responsible. Note that the coffee was so hot that just drinking some upon being served could (and had, with others) cause severe damage. Also not mentioned in the article (which I used because of the Snopes reference) was internal memos at McDonald's revealing that the coffee was served extra hot to mask the cheaper beans they used, and that the cups were not rated for that temperature.

Bart
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4138
    Re:The Annual "Stella Awards"! 2014/02/22 22:39:28 (permalink)
    Stella......STELL......LAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

" />
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18949
    Re:The Annual "Stella Awards"! 2014/02/22 22:50:46 (permalink)

Don't you think your superior attitude is a little out of place?
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2014/02/22 22:53:41
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:The Annual "Stella Awards"! 2014/02/23 01:14:11 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman 

No more than you posing as a Curmudgeon when deep down, we all know you're a real sweetheart! 
    If you're referring to my Genius comment, that was really in jest. If I were a genius, do you think I'd be hanging out here?????

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18949
    Re:The Annual "Stella Awards"! 2014/02/23 10:34:32 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Michael Hoffman 

No more than you posing as a Curmudgeon when deep down, we all know you're a real sweetheart! 
    If you're referring to my Genius comment, that was really in jest. If I were a genius, do you think I'd be hanging out here?????

Actually, I was quoting Stella Kowalski in A Streetcar Named Desire.

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4138
    Re:The Annual "Stella Awards"! 2014/02/23 11:23:17 (permalink)
    Sorry guys, I didn't know what I would cause.....just quoting Brando!" />
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1