The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2009/12/06 10:00:19 (permalink)
I don't think I have any pictures; but it looks like shake 'n bake chicken with a coarser crust. Actually, I experimented and made it at home, I got pretty close. Whirr a couple or t'ree big honey-mustard sourdough pretzels in a food processor, but not too fine. Set out some bowls with milk, flour, egg, and the pretzel crumbs. Dredge the tenderloins through each and fry in a hot skillet with about 1/4" of peanut oil in it for about a minute on each side to set the coating, then bake in a 325* oven until done, maybe 15 minutes.

Mix up a honey-mustard sauce, try 2 parts Dijon mustard to 1 part honey, a little mayo and a little lemon juice, I like mine on the mustard side. Or use a good commercial sauce.
EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2009/12/06 10:23:07 (permalink)
That sounds delicious. I love the Snyder's Honey Mustard Pretzel Bits...I bet that would work nicely
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4567
RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2009/12/06 11:25:19 (permalink)
Mosca & EatingTheRoad, The sign out front says "160 Beers Available", but they didn't have a menu showing them.  Not even a breakdown of what was available on draft.  Our waitress tried to rattle off some of the choices, we ended up with Coors Light and Yuengling

Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2009/12/06 11:35:12 (permalink)
She must have been new then; there is an extensive beer menu, I've held it in my hand many times. Heavy on the Stone's, Rogue, Bell's, Dogfish Head, Victory, etc. The usual suspects, all in your favorite place.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5233
RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2009/12/06 11:43:15 (permalink)
joerogo

Mosca,   We tried The Anthracite tonight.  It started out very bad.

Do you have a beer menu(160  beers available)?  No
Clams?  No
Portabella burger?  No
Fresh vegetable?  Canned corn

Maybe that's just s.o.p. when they get someone that they don't want as a repeat customer...

Brad
joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2009/12/06 17:19:37 (permalink)
Brad_Olson

joerogo

Mosca,   We tried The Anthracite tonight.  It started out very bad.

Do you have a beer menu(160  beers available)?  No
Clams?  No
Portabella burger?  No
Fresh vegetable?  Canned corn

Maybe that's just s.o.p. when they get someone that they don't want as a repeat customer...

Brad

Maybe you are right Brad.  No pickles either.
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2009/12/07 20:19:09 (permalink)
great report & nice pictures, Mosca.
the only thing that ruins that nice dining room is that TV.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2009/12/07 21:16:28 (permalink)
I was back at the Anthracite today.  The house right next door belongs to one of my customers.  Yesterday her home and the Anthracite were robbed.  Sad.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2009/12/07 23:36:44 (permalink)
Joe, Bob, that is at least the second robbery in the last year; the TVs were stolen sometime in the spring.
EatingTheRoad
  • Total Posts : 1205
RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2009/12/08 08:09:50 (permalink)
Mosca

Joe, Bob, that is at least the second robbery in the last year; the TVs were stolen sometime in the spring.

sk bob
great report & nice pictures, Mosca.
the only thing that ruins that nice dining room is that TV.

Maybe it was sk bob who took 'em...he was just making the dining room more pleasant.

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2009/12/09 22:03:13 (permalink)
I ain't sayin nuthin
I got an alibi
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2010/03/13 20:52:50 (permalink)
We ate here tonight, first time in a while. There are quite a few menu additions. I was going to order the hot maple garlic chicken ("Sauteed chicken tenderloins in a zippy maple garlic sauce topped with caramelized Bermuda onions"); and then I saw BEEF TENDERLOIN TROEGANOFF!

Alls I had was my cell phone:

"Tips of beef tenderloin, fresh mushrooms & onions in a Troegs Brewery’s Famous Troegenator Doublebock & sour creamed rich gravy over fettucine pasta."

Damn, damn, damn. This was really good. It was awesome.

post edited by Mosca - 2010/03/13 20:56:35
sarah3988
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2010/04/17 21:56:10 (permalink)
absolutely the worst customer service i have ever seen. as soon as we got in there, it took us about ten minutes to get our menus. when our waitress finally gave us our drinks, she said she would be "right back to take our order". this took about ten minutes just to place the order. the food wasn't all that bad. however, when i asked for a refill on my water, it came back with the most nastiest looking brown bug in my water. i was soo disgusted by this i couldn't even finish my shrimp salad (not to mention the other two people that were dining with me). it took me forever to finally find my waitress, and when i told her, all she said was "wow thats disgusting" and took it back. she brought back another water and just said sorry about that, but it honestly didn't even seem like she was surprised by it or even cared that there was a bug in my drink. any other restaurant, they would have sincerely apologized, maybe even brought the manager out to apologize. i was mostly appalled the unconcerned waitress. i will never go back to that place again. NO NOT GO THERE!!! the menu might seem really good, but the fact that it is a dirty restaurant should make everyone not want to go there. we saw one of the cooks come out from the back, he didn't even have a hairnet on his head. i mean, if there was a BUG in my WATER, imagine what can be found in the food. i regret ever eating there and i will never go back there again. absolutely disgustingggggg.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2011/02/12 21:07:02 (permalink)
My last two visits to the Anthracite were less than spectacular, to say the least.  The place was literally coming apart at the seams.  From what I gathered, the owner had some medical issues....Yadda Yadda Yadda.

Well, I saw a review in the local paper and decided to give the place another try.  So, to everyone who was disappointed, especially my buddy Mosca, I say, give the place another try.

I was there this evening and the place was jam packed the whole evening.  There was more than enough well trained staff, along with an excellent dining room manager to handle the traffic.  And the food was spot on.

I had steamed clams(which are hard to screw up)and they were excellent.  The wings were outstanding as were the burgers.  The fried ice cream dessert received high marks also.

Nice to see a local RF joint hanging in there.  
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2011/02/13 09:20:54 (permalink)
sarah3988

absolutely the worst customer service i have ever seen. as soon as we got in there, it took us about ten minutes to get our menus. when our waitress finally gave us our drinks, she said she would be "right back to take our order". this took about ten minutes just to place the order. the food wasn't all that bad. however, when i asked for a refill on my water, it came back with the most nastiest looking brown bug in my water. i was soo disgusted by this i couldn't even finish my shrimp salad (not to mention the other two people that were dining with me). it took me forever to finally find my waitress, and when i told her, all she said was "wow thats disgusting" and took it back. she brought back another water and just said sorry about that, but it honestly didn't even seem like she was surprised by it or even cared that there was a bug in my drink. any other restaurant, they would have sincerely apologized, maybe even brought the manager out to apologize. i was mostly appalled the unconcerned waitress. i will never go back to that place again. NO NOT GO THERE!!! the menu might seem really good, but the fact that it is a dirty restaurant should make everyone not want to go there. we saw one of the cooks come out from the back, he didn't even have a hairnet on his head. i mean, if there was a BUG in my WATER, imagine what can be found in the food. i regret ever eating there and i will never go back there again. absolutely disgustingggggg.

OMG!  A cook without a hairnet?  Ewwwwe!!!
Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2011/02/13 13:16:08 (permalink)
Don, I hadn't responded to defend The Anthracite against Sarah's post because we felt the same way; the service had gone downhill, the menu had changed. It's good to see per Joe, whose judgement I trust, that it is back on track. I'd read the same review and was skeptical, but now we'll give it another try.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2011/02/13 15:53:27 (permalink)
Yeah, I think sarah3988 just threw that in because she was on a roll.  But basically, her rant also describes my two previous visits to the Anthracite.

On this visit, as soon as we walked in the door we were greeted and brought to our table by the dining room manager.  The first question I asked was "is the place under new ownership?".  Same owner, new sense of commitment.

One thing though.  No beer menu yet.  They are still working on it(2 years)
post edited by joerogo - 2011/02/13 15:54:29
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1