The BEST Pickles???

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3301
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2005/11/22 17:32:42 (permalink)
I prefer Chipico and Schwartz pickles. Both are kosher dills. Chipico(Chicago Pickle Company) is owned by the Vienna Beef Company. Chipico originally produced their products in Wisconsin and moved to Florida three years ago. Schwartz is owned by Dean Foods and produced in Wisconsin. Both are foodservice products and served in restaurants and delis.

CSD
Born in Chicago
Raised in Chicago
Moved to Wisconsin
Selling Vienna Beef hot dogs & Polish, dressed with Chipico products(pickles, neon green relish, & sport peppers).
MaggieJean
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2006/01/20 11:16:28 (permalink)

Thanks for the head-ups about Wickles! My niece in Tampa sent us some in our Chrismas package and we fell in love with them. I'm off to our Cracker Barrel in Carrollton to see if they carry them.

quote:
Originally posted by sauceman

Anyone ever tried Wickles Pickles? We had them at a dinner at the Southern Progress Corporation in Birmingham last summer, and I've been looking for them ever since. We stopped in at a Cracker Barrel--only to use the restroom, not to eat--and I spotted them in the gift shop. They're sliced in rather thick chips, and they're slightly sweet, on the order of a bread and butter pickle. There are two long, red hot peppers on the bottom of the jar, among pieces of garlic. And all those flavors come through in the pickle. They're made in Dadeville, Alabama. Worth a quick duck into the Cracker Barrel gift shop.

Fred Sauceman
Johnson City, Tennessee
ernieson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2006/01/20 11:55:40 (permalink)
In reference to the bagged pickles, I worked as a counselor in at the Girls' School (actually a prison for underage girls) in Indianapolis. The girls could buy those big pickles from the canteen. I used to conduct groups on risky sexual behavior. The girls were allowed to eat during groups (not my idea). I would be talking about risky sex and see three or four of them sucking on those big pickles. It was hard not to laugh.
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2006/01/20 13:05:40 (permalink)
Hello All,
Iceicle pickles are the best.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2006/01/20 13:48:19 (permalink)
Does anyone know where you can get WHOLE polish dills? We like them so much better than kosher, and grew up on them, but nowadays, all we can find are pickle spears. Mount Olive makes them, and they're wonderful, but we want whole ones. Any suggestions would be welcomed. We've done internet searches.
Wander
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2006/01/20 14:04:17 (permalink)
Pwingsx, last check of my market had whole Vlassic polish dills by the quart jar, so they are still available, it's just that your local store might not stock them. You might want to talk to your grocery store manager and see if they can get some in for you.
bcohio
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2006/02/01 10:56:52 (permalink)
My favorite in Dayton is Izzy's Famous Corned Beef Koshers, made in Cincinnati. They're always refrigerated at the grocery here and are crisp and garlicky.
richardoldfield
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2006/02/15 12:17:52 (permalink)
I found this site by searching for the best sweet pickles. Previously, I ate Bick's Pickles but of late they just haven't tasted right. Via this site, I tried Topor's Pickles and they are very good for what they are but sweet they are not.

I was on the phone with a friend, (Don, that winters in Florida); he tipped me off to Lakeside Pickles from Harrow, Ontario. I called them and I was advised to go to Zehrs or Joseph's Market in Windsor along with Westborn Markets in Michigan. I called Westborn Market and I was told that their house brand are Lakeside Pickles.

I have tried Lakeside's Bread and Butter and Mixed Sweet pickles and I am here to say they are great! If anyone is interested their web site is:http://www.lakesidepacking.com/lakeside/default.asp

All I can say is enjoy!

Regards,

Richard
judah1j
Junior Burger
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2006/04/15 03:19:47 (permalink)
GUSS Full Sour (The one's carried by whole foods are with presevatives)
BaTampte Garlic Dill (not half-sour)
Bubbie's Kosher Dill's of San Francisco Made in Mexico
Bubbie's Kosher Dill's of San Francisco made in Canada
Strubb's of Canada Kosher Dill's
Trader Joe's Kosher Dill's now discontinued

report from L.A. Garlic lover. Note none of the above pickles are made with vinegar. Hard to get the Guss', Batampte, Strubb's. The L.A. market is flooded with Canadian Bubbies and your better off buying the canned Israeli pickles at Eilat Market or Cambridge Farms.
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2335
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2006/04/15 06:19:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

To my taste, the only pickles that are good are the ones that my family always called "new" pickles--the ones that are still a fairly bright green, by virtue of having been pickled for only a brief period of time. In that genre, the best (if you can get them) are definitely Guss's, from the Lower East Side of Manhattan. If you don't have access to them, the Batampte brand (in jars, always refrigerated) that is sold in some supermarkets is a decent substitute.

The typical type of pickle, to my way of thinking, has been "embalmed" for a very long period of time, and winds up being limp and dull in appearance. The "new" pickles, by comparison, are always crunchy and very fresh in taste.

To return to the subject of kosher pickles, or just kosher food in general, I want to reiterate something that renfrew (?) said, by way of correcting someone else. When you see the "kosher" designation on a packaged food product, this does NOT mean that it has been blessed by a Rabbi. Instead, it means that the entire production facility has been inspected for cleanliness, and that the production process has been continually supervised to be sure that the cleanliness is maintained. That normally includes disassembling the machinery at fairly frequent intervals, and cleansing them with live steam.

This designation also means that no "unkosher" items have come into contact with either the food or the processing machinery. This latter part is not necessarily important for those who do not keep a kosher home, but the absolute cleanliness that is required for the certification should interest everyone.

Tedbear,

I prefer the greener, or half sour pickles. Recently I came across Batampte half sours in the supermarket, and they are my favorite. I've never tried Guss, but you think that they are even better than Batampte? How do they compare with the Pickle Guys, which I hear is an offshoot of Guss's?
BR
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2006/04/16 14:44:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Slick

Pete, I have a recipe for these kind of pickles if you want it. Or you can order from me, I can use the money.

Slick, I sure like to have that recipe.

BR
BR
Cheeseburger
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2006/04/16 15:21:34 (permalink)
Frickle Pickles are sold at the Carousel Antiques and Pickles in Boerne Texas just NW of San Antonio. They are the sweet hot type also. They have been featured in several magazines. They can be purchased online at http://mainstreetboerne.com/carousel/

Anyone who has a recipe for the sweet hot pickles like these... I'd be much obliged for it.

BR
nvb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2006/04/16 18:10:39 (permalink)
BR, check your mail.
BR
Cheeseburger
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2006/04/18 08:59:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Slick

BR, check your mail.

Thanks Slick!
Red Green
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2006/04/23 08:42:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cedwin

My favorites are a brand called "Gedney's State Fair Norwegian Dills". Gedney's is a local pickling company in Minnesota that has taken award winning pickle recipes from the Minnesota State Fair and produced them. The Norwegian Dills are a spicy, quality pickle as good as any I've ever eaten.

I agree!!!! Gedney's ARE the best!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2006/04/24 16:34:54 (permalink)
Poverty Pete -- The Publix out here in Smyrna is now carrying Wickles pickles and relish. Thanks again for introducing me to them!
BR
Cheeseburger
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2006/04/25 15:52:38 (permalink)
I've now had a taste of the Frickle Pickles I ordered from Carousel that I mentioned above. They are crunchy dill slices that have been introduced to a sweet brine. They are tasty but not in the same league as Wickles IMO. Wickles are a B&B type with a little cayenne kick. Wickles are addicting! Now I have to try the Gedney Norwegian Dill mentioned above. Their B&B pickles are great.
branine
Junior Burger
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2007/08/01 21:11:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mrnab

Anyone remember Max's pickles? They had a nice kick to them. They also made green pickled tomatoes. I haven't seen them in stores in years.

I know EXACTLY what you are saying. I can't find them either and have had a terrible craving for them. Fortunately, I went online and found a recipe and a jar called the "Perfect Pickler" from a natural food source. I ordered the perfect pickler and it comes with some recipes. The one called garlic dill pickles makes pickles exactly like Max's. You make them in this jar and let them sit in a cool dark place for 4 days and then refrigerate. I have purchased 3 of these perfect picklers now and I use them all the time. I hope you find them as I have to be a wonderful replacement for what I believe to be the Perfect Pickle (Max's). Let me know if you have any questions about it. Janine
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2302
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2007/08/01 21:48:11 (permalink)
I buy Wickle's by the case, and give them out as gifts. Is that NOT the definition of good?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10257
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2007/08/02 03:51:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by branine

quote:

Anyone remember Max's pickles? They had a nice kick to them. They also made green pickled tomatoes. I haven't seen them in stores in years.

I know EXACTLY what you are saying. I can't find them either and have had a terrible craving for them. Fortunately, I went online and found a recipe and a jar called the "Perfect Pickler" from a natural food source. I ordered the perfect pickler and it comes with some recipes. The one called garlic dill pickles makes pickles exactly like Max's. You make them in this jar and let them sit in a cool dark place for 4 days and then refrigerate. I have purchased 3 of these perfect picklers now and I use them all the time. I hope you find them as I have to be a wonderful replacement for what I believe to be the Perfect Pickle (Max's). Let me know if you have any questions about it. Janine

I've seen Max's Pickled Pigs Feet, Pickled Sausage & Pickled Eggs out here in AZ, but no Pickled Pickles
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2007/08/02 04:04:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:
Originally posted by branine

quote:

I've seen Max's Pickled Pigs Feet, Pickled Sausage & Pickled Eggs out here in AZ, but no Pickled Pickles

More on Max's Pickles:
Acquisition of Max's Pickles

In 1985, Gedney completed the acquisition of the Flavo Food Company, makers of Max's Pickles. Three years later, the company mothballed its less-profitable food service division to focus solely on retail sales. Gedney products were increasingly being distributed through food brokers to wholesale distributors and chain stores at this time. The company also began identifying itself as the source of "The Minnesota Pickle."

Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2007/09/26 12:46:04 (permalink)
My favorites are just Claussen spears right out of the jar!

Grizzly
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2007/09/26 13:11:04 (permalink)
We just went to Guss's on the lower east side when we were visiting NYC over Labor Day. Best pickles I have ever had. They had one spicy one that was outstanding.
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2007/10/03 12:31:10 (permalink)
quote:

I prefer the greener, or half sour pickles. Recently I came across Batampte half sours in the supermarket, and they are my favorite. I've never tried Guss, but you think that they are even better than Batampte? How do they compare with the Pickle Guys, which I hear is an offshoot of Guss's?

John,
If you are ever at the Coney Island in Middletown on a Saturday or Sunday, I'll take you over to the Middletown Flea Market. There is a guy there Gary's World's Best Pickles. He has pickles in barrels from Batampte.

I used to get the Batampte half sours at the supermarket however lately they have not been carrying them. The trick is to buy them when the brine is clear and the lid is flat or sucked in. Once the brine turns cloudy and the top buldges then the pickles are going sour.

Matt
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2007/10/03 20:46:56 (permalink)
If you haven't tried a Polski Wyrobi Spicy dill pickle, you haven't lived. They have a flavor that will make your socks stand up straight.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2302
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2007/10/03 21:21:09 (permalink)
Al's socks already stand up straight, at least when Janet's in California. Don't give him any excuses.
mclaw
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2007/11/17 16:01:37 (permalink)
I HAVE BEEN BUYING TOPORS PICKLES SINCE THE 1960'S. THEY HAVE BEEN THE BEST, NEXT TO STRUBS PICKLES, MADE IN ONTARIO. LATELY I CAN'T FIND THE ORIGINAL TOPOR BARREL CURED PICKLES IN THE STORE. I HOPE THEY HAVE NOT DECIDED TO DROP THAT LINE AND PRODUCE ONLY PICKLES THAY TASTE JUST LIKE CLAUSSEN'S, WHICH ARE BASICALLY WORTHLESS.
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2007/11/17 16:10:37 (permalink)
I love the half sours at Harolds in Edison, NJ. Too bad they dont sell them retail.
Of the retail brand, any half sours will do....Clausen does a good job I think.
mclaw
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2007/11/17 18:00:23 (permalink)
OK PICKLE GOURMETS - LET'S GET THIS STRAIGHT. ANY BARREL CURED PICKLE HAS A CERTAIN FLAVOR THAT IS OUT OF THIS WORLD IF YOU LIKE PICKLES. CLAUSSEN PICKLES ARE LIKE DRINKING OLD MILWAUKEE LIGHT BEER IF YOU HAVE NEVER HAD BEER BEFORE. IF YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH PICKLES, STRUBBS PICKLES IN ONTARIO MAKES A HALF SOUR AND A FULL SOUR, BARREL CURED AND REFRIDGERATED PICKLE. THESE ARE FANTASTIC AND CAN BE PURCHASED IN ALL GROCERY STORES IN ONTARIO FOR AROUND $3 FOR A REGULAR SIZED JAR. IN MICHIGAN, TOPOR'S HAS BEEN THE BEST BARREL CURED PICKLE, EVEN BETTER TASTING THAN STRUBS, BUT AS I SAID, IN THE LAST YEAR I CAN'T FIND THE BARREL CURED BRAND IN THE STORES. IF ANYBODY HAS AN INFORMATION ABOUT THE SELECTION THEY NOW OFFER, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. BASICALLY ALL I SEE LATELY ARE THE FRESH PICKLES, WHICH ARE LIKE CLAUSSEN'S, WHICH IN MY OPINION HAVE NO REAL TASTE.
angel92
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: The BEST Pickles??? 2008/01/27 15:25:51 (permalink)
Dynamite Dill Garlic Deli Dills are the best!

http://www.dynamitedill.com/dill_garlicdeli.html
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1