The BLT

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
2004/07/20 23:21:48 (permalink)

The BLT

I think it's the Queen of Sandwiches. But it's hard to find a really distinguished one away from home. I think that's because it depends on really top notch basic ingredients: really ripe, tasty tomato; good mayo, decent bread and bacon. Anybody want to recommend places to get a top quality BLT on the road?

88 Replies Related Threads

meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: The BLT 2004/07/21 10:26:06 (permalink)
    If you are ever back DC way, BT, I recommend Breadline. The only time they ever put tomotoes on their sandwiches is when they are in season. So you know you are getting a really good BLT. And their bread is fabulous! It is the best part about any of their sandwiches!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: The BLT 2004/07/21 10:41:13 (permalink)
    I know its a chain and maybe some people are tired of hearing about it .... but Waffle House makes an excellent BLT. I especially like mine on Texas toast !! The bacon is hot and crispy and they actually use pretty good tasting tomatoes (at least in most the ones in South Carolina where I stop). I really like the BLT with a side of hash browns (scattered and smothered of course) !!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18489
    RE: The BLT 2004/07/21 11:07:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

I know its a chain and maybe some people are tired of hearing about it .... but Waffle House makes an excellent BLT. I especially like mine on Texas toast !! The bacon is hot and crispy and they actually use pretty good tasting tomatoes (at least in most the ones in South Carolina where I stop). I really like the BLT with a side of hash browns (scattered and smothered of course) !!!

My wife always ordered her Waffle House BLTs "light on the bacon." That was to keep them from making the bacon crisp.
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: The BLT 2004/07/21 11:29:19 (permalink)
    It's a chain too, but I like the BLT at Cafe Express. But I get mine with mustard. Mustard rules!
    Kent Daniels
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: The BLT 2004/07/21 21:13:31 (permalink)
    Somehow I just don't trust a BLT outside the house, when you can't control the quality and crispness of the bacon, the freshness of the lettuce, and the flavor of a nice, home-grown tomato. In fact, I ate my first BLT of the season last week, and will eat my last one in October, when I pick the last of the vine-ripened tomatoes for the year. The rest of the year, I just wait, with great longing in my heart.
    sweetgherkin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: The BLT 2004/07/22 01:27:48 (permalink)
    I agree BLT's are best when they are made at home. When I make them they are triple deckers: two slices of toasted white/sourdough/french bread w/mayo and pepper, green leaf lettuce on both of those. Extra crisp slices of bacon on one, thin slices of tomato and avocado on the other, plus salt on that side. One more slice of toasted bread, mayo'd and peppered on both sides, stuck in the middle. OK, the avocado makes it a BLAT instead of a BLT, but a BLT is so much better with the A.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: The BLT 2004/07/22 03:59:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sweetgherkin

I agree BLT's are best when they are made at home. When I make them they are triple deckers: two slices of toasted white/sourdough/french bread w/mayo and pepper, green leaf lettuce on both of those. Extra crisp slices of bacon on one, thin slices of tomato and avocado on the other, plus salt on that side. One more slice of toasted bread, mayo'd and peppered on both sides, stuck in the middle. OK, the avocado makes it a BLAT instead of a BLT, but a BLT is so much better with the A.

Sounds good, but I'm a traditionalist usually: One "deck"; I like the bread toasted but otherwise it's just plenty of bacon, tomato and mayo and fairly light on the lettuce (sometimes I skip the L entirely).
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: The BLT 2004/07/22 08:48:13 (permalink)
    Enough!Im going to make me one now!
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: The BLT 2004/07/22 10:17:25 (permalink)
    Thought you might enjoy this photo from Harvest House (the former F.W. Woolworth's) lunch counter. Woolworth's always had the best BLT's. Most of the local diners around here make a very good one.

BBq King
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: The BLT 2004/07/22 12:38:55 (permalink)
    I know it's a chain, but Arby's has a really good BLT. Lots of pepper bacon on the sandwich.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: The BLT 2004/07/22 16:59:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

If you are ever back DC way, BT, I recommend Breadline. The only time they ever put tomotoes on their sandwiches is when they are in season. So you know you are getting a really good BLT. And their bread is fabulous! It is the best part about any of their sandwiches!

The Breadline's rendition of a BLT is a fine one for sure, but points off for not toasting that bread. Untoasted, it struggles under the weight of the very generous helping of B,L, and T stuffed in between the slices. That said, I wouldn't mind having one right now.

fastfood
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: The BLT 2005/07/12 02:43:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BBq King

I know it's a chain, but Arby's has a really good BLT. Lots of pepper bacon on the sandwich.

5 strips to be exact!To enlighten you guys more it also comes with the freshest sliced tamatoes,arby's famous mayo,and leafy lettuce.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: The BLT 2005/07/12 06:00:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

I tried Waffle House again the other day...maybe i'm missing something. scbuzz, get in your car this weekend and drive down to Pawley's Island to find a true roadfood experience- Hog Heaven! In a tiny cinder block building they pull off a lowcountry buffet that will make your head spin, believe me. Really great! Thu-Sat only. $6.95 lunch,$8.95 dinner with $2.75 import beers. Worthy of a roadtrip anyday in my book.
    Grillmeister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: The BLT 2005/07/12 06:53:00 (permalink)
    It's tomato picking time so there's probably no commercial establishment that can beat homemade (at least during harvest season). Not their fault though, since they have to use commercial suppliers. I peel my homegrown tomatoes since the skins are thicker thus making the entire sandwich a "smoother" eating experience.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: The BLT 2005/07/12 14:14:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fastfood

quote:
    Originally posted by BBq King

5 strips to be exact!To enlighten you guys more it also comes with the freshest sliced tamatoes,arby's famous mayo,and leafy lettuce.

Gee--i've always wanted to be enlightened about Arby's!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3757
    RE: The BLT 2005/07/12 14:29:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

Gee--i've always wanted to be enlightened about Arby's!

Careful, tiki! Someone will accuse you of not playing nice with the newbies.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18489
    RE: The BLT 2005/07/12 14:40:38 (permalink)
    Not beng known for my diplomacy I shall go out on a limb and state as clearly as possible that I find Mr. Arby to be a pain in the hog's shoulder.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: The BLT 2005/07/12 16:06:16 (permalink)
    Here's an actual useful piece of information instead of the usual anti-chain sniping: Flour Bakery, 1595 Washington Street, Boston MA (corner of Washington and E. Concord in the South End), 617-267-4300, www.flourbakery.com

The BLT at Flour is regularly named Boston's best BLT in local polls, and for good reason: it's a genuinely spectacular sandwich. The bacon is perfectly cooked, firm but still chewy. The lettuce and tomato are as fresh and local as is possible (which means that this sandwich is best eaten in the summer), and the white toast on which it's served is good enough to be eaten by itself, with an open-grained texture and a pleasantly chewy consistency. Your order will take a while, since each sandwich is constructed only upon order, including cooking the bacon. But it'll be entirely worth it.

A tip: Flour Bakery is almost always mobbed. Get your sandwich to go and walk one block east on Washington Street to a rather nice park, with benches and a fountain.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: The BLT 2005/07/12 23:55:09 (permalink)
    There is a sports bar in Portland called Lil" Cooperstown which makes a BLT that I like.
    readjl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: The BLT 2005/07/21 17:03:03 (permalink)
    quote:

That's a BLTA!! and they are awesome. toast the wheat bread, a little mayo and load up.
    alesrus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: The BLT 2005/07/21 17:17:21 (permalink)
    We are having BLT's for dinner tonight I am stopping at the butcher on the way home for some bacon and Sue is picking up the tomatoes at the farm stand on her way home. I think it is important where the salt and pepper is placed. Salt on the tomatoes and pepper on the mayo which is on the bread.
    varelas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: The BLT 2005/07/21 17:58:42 (permalink)
    I remember watching a TV food show, the host was David Rosen%%%%%, I can't remember the last name. He showed how to make all kinds of things. He did a show on how to make the best BLT. He toasted his bread under the broiler but only on one side. The un-toasted side was for the outside of the BLT, so it was soft to the mouth and the toasted side held up to the mayo. Never did make it his way.
    DinoS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: The BLT 2005/07/21 18:08:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

I think it's the Queen of Sandwiches.

Or maybe King. I, like some other posters, always make mine at home. You just can't trust the quality of the ingredients (esp. tomatoes) that you get in restaurants these days.

The BLT (with mayo) is by far my favorite sandwich. Unfortunately, I don't have them as much as I'd like. It's just hard to find good tomatoes other than in the summer months.

Dino
    Kiowa1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: The BLT 2005/07/21 18:36:44 (permalink)
    A good homemade BLT consists of good, crisp bacon, mayo, fresh lettuce, SLICES OF JUST PICKED TOMATOES FROM THE GARDEN STILL WARM FROM THE SUN (ahhh, the aroma and anticipation) and toasted slices of just-baked bread (your choice). I'll have two!!!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: The BLT 2005/07/21 18:47:07 (permalink)
    quote:

This is how I do it also, sans the avocado. However, I usually add some thin sliced ham to my creation and triple load the tomatoes, etc.; technically not making it a BLT.
    Don't forget the "Duke's Famous Sauce", though...
    RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: The BLT 2007/03/27 17:05:27 (permalink)
    Digging up an old thread instead of starting a new one on the same subject....

I eat BLT sandwiches/subs often and, like the original poster, I believe it to be the king of all sandwiches. The combination of garden tomatoes, salty bacon, fresh iceberg lettuce, and kraft mayo on white bread (salt and pepper to taste!) imo, simply can't be beat.

From Arby's to Zaxby's (and every sub or sandwich shop in between), if you offer a BLT I'm probably going to give it a shot and hope for the best. If I'm not making it at home, it comes down to the bread and the tomato. If both are fresh we probably have a winner.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: The BLT 2007/03/27 19:24:01 (permalink)
    BLT's are definitely good, especially with thick cut, high acid fresh 'maters and plenty** of crisp bacon, lettuce and mayo. However, if I go that route I usually end up making club sandwiches (no turkey). I can't resist the extras of thinly sliced smoked ham and similarly sliced cheddar. The third slice of bread helps also, as I use that as an excuse to add more of everything.

**one pound of raw bacon for 2 sandwiches -

RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: The BLT 2007/03/27 20:16:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

sounds about right to me!

John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: The BLT 2007/03/28 07:41:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

sounds about right to me!

Are you sure, that would give me 3/4 and you 1/4?

John
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1