The Bang Bang Pie Shop

Author
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
2013/12/07 08:56:52 (permalink)

The Bang Bang Pie Shop

If you're a Chicagoland native or just a friend passing thru...here's a great stop for a slice of pie, a biscuit and jam or a great cup of coffee!

From their website...
...here's who they are..."We are artisans first and business people second. We believe in warm biscuits from scratch and handmade pie. We believe there will always be a need for the store on the corner. We strive to be consistent in an ever changing world."

...and what they want to do...
 In a world full of choices and too few great ones, we've developed a small but focused menu. Every day we offer one chocolate, cream and fruit pie option. Megan starts each week with only one thing in mind- creating the next best chocolate, cream, or fruit pie possible, with ingredients that match the season.    
We use social media and our website to announce menu changes.     Food doesn't hit our menu unless excited about it. Great food is what we've decided to do.  "If you want a shop that does everything for everybody- that's okay, but it's not us. We make food "how it used to be" and we guarantee that there's something for everyone on our menu. This isn't 1950's- industrialization of everything, type of food. It's your, what's in the back yard- 1850's style of cooking. It's what your Grandma's, Grandma ate."

They produce three flavors of pie daily with flavors changing every few weeks.  They are exquisitely produced with the freshest of ingredients and contain a large dose of value added love.  You feel it in the vibe when you walk in.  Seating indoors can accommodate 15-20 and outdoors for the summer months, the large backyard can easily seat an additional 50 pie lovers.  There's even fire pits for the fall and early spring seasons!

Back to the main event...I was driving around Chicago minding my own business on Thursday when my GPS guided me right to the front door.  The coordinates I was seeking were Pear Brandy Mince by Eggnog Cream! 

A little background as I am a fruit pie lover with a pre-disposition to Dutch,  Crumble and Sour Cream versions.  I also love Mince Pie and can get pretty aggressive around the holidays looking in all the right places.  That said...

This Pear Brandy Mince Pie is one of the best pies I have ever had...at least til the next best slice comes along...and that's what keeps pie lovers trucking on!  It's the proverbial bait on the end of the hook!  Pears, apples, raisins, cranberries and a few other fruits are cooked down with their own natural juices and a variety of holiday spices, i.e., cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.  The resulting fruit sauce is the perfect compliment to the sweetened fruit.  It's all loaded into a lard leaf house made pie crust and topped with a pecan oat crumble. The fruit is intoxicating as it's been soaked in brandy and then cooked down into the aforementioned sauce while still maintaining slight crispness. 

Here's the whole pie...

And my slice...

I would rate this pie as a perfect 10...and A+...2 scores which I dole out on a very infrequent basis!   As I had just finished three Banh Mi sandwiches from Saigon Sisters...I took another flavor of pie to go!  Here's a look at the Eggnog Cream Pie....

Vegetarian by using a graham cracker crust, the Eggnog custard is topped with a crushed orange brittle which after bathing in the generous display of fresh whip cream, took on a consistency all it's own.  Again, a great piece of pie...not a perfect 10 but a great eight!

I've been a big fan of Bang Bang for a few years ever since they opened the brick and mortar shop after gaining fame via the food truck method!  I do need to mention the biscuits which I did not sample on this visit but I have had on numerous occasions.  First, they are not southern style in that they are bigger and made in small batches of 6 per tin.  They have a slight exterior crust but are soft and buttery in the middle.  They make their own jams and create unusual butters often mixing various herbs and spices into the butters.  On my most recent visit, it was pumpkin butter.  The jams have been out of site with every known berry on the planet called into action at one time or the other.

It's a small menu - 3 pies, occasionally one savory pie, biscuits, jams and butters and great coffee and tea.  That's it...except for the occasional candy bacon!  Brown sugar coated bacon is oven roasted to sweet and crunchy perfection!  So good, so little of it!  Most times it's sold out as oven space is at a premium in this little storefront! 

The warm and cozy atmosphere - it's 7 degrees out as I write this - is available 7 days a week...and so are the pies!

!Bang Bang! Pie and Biscuits
2051 North California Avenue
Chicago, IL   60647-3968
1-773-276-8888
www.bangbangpie.com

post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2013/12/07 14:48:58

11 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18258
    Re:The Bang Bang Pie Shop 2013/12/07 11:52:01 (permalink)
    Wow! I would love to try that pie, except for one thing: nuts. I can't stand nuts in or on my food. Your description is fantastic. They ought to hire you to write their copy.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4580
    Re:The Bang Bang Pie Shop 2013/12/07 12:37:07 (permalink)
    Mice pie? Hmmm. Worse than nuts. :)
    mlm
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:The Bang Bang Pie Shop 2013/12/07 12:55:47 (permalink)
    Mice pie, huh?" /> Thanks for the review. Yes, we get it. Bless your heart. Reminds me of the motel sign I saw on the access road a couple of years ago. Advertised 'Daily Rats'! I wondered if the rats were in the rooms or as part of the continental breakfast!  I thought about calling the motel to tell them of the mistake but then I thought 'well, they'll see it the next time they clean the parking lot'. Do you know, they advertised daily rats all summer? I guess the big boss finally showed up and made them change it. Any opinions on why they let it hang there so long? After a day or two I decided to let them take any consequences if they were so unobservant.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Bang Bang Pie Shop 2013/12/07 14:42:19 (permalink)
    Sorry for the typo...it's been corrected...however, it seems you may be familiar with the delicacy known as mice pie! 
    love2bake
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:The Bang Bang Pie Shop 2013/12/07 16:36:59 (permalink)
    That pear brandy mince sounds/looks fantastic!  This place has been on my bookmark list for a while.  Next trip to Chicago, this and Hoosier Mama, for sure.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10074
    Re:The Bang Bang Pie Shop 2013/12/07 16:38:26 (permalink)
    Fantastic stuff CTD!  I can't remember what we ate when you took me there, but I came away very impressed.  Great photos!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:The Bang Bang Pie Shop 2013/12/07 17:25:26 (permalink)
    Love mince pie!!!!! I may make one for us as no one I know likes it!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Bang Bang Pie Shop 2013/12/07 17:36:11 (permalink)
    l2b - you'll love 'em both!  On Friday nights, HMPC does a pie flight...3 half slices for $7, with coffee, $8!

bb - one of everything!

Ann - one of my favorites!  This one above has no meat product in it except for the pie crust. 
    TomEN
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:The Bang Bang Pie Shop 2014/03/02 12:24:22 (permalink)
    I love a good piece of pie.  If it makes you want to eat the whole pie, that is a great piece of pie:)
    love2bake
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:The Bang Bang Pie Shop 2014/04/11 03:21:09 (permalink)
    Changes are afoot at Bang Bang Pie Shop:

http://www.dnainfo.com/ch...yed-for-lincoln-square
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Bang Bang Pie Shop 2014/04/11 06:27:38 (permalink)
    Thanks l2b...I am being kept form all news and being forced to make multiple food stops by one buffetbuster, aka the Food Nazi! 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1