The Berkshires- Stockbridge, Lenox and Pittsfield

Author
Pigiron
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1384
2011/07/06 12:47:43 (permalink)

The Berkshires- Stockbridge, Lenox and Pittsfield

Looking for decent places to eat in Stockbridge, Lenox and Pittsfield.   I've eaten in a lot of the high end placed up there, but we have a 2 1/2 year old son this time.  Looking for more family friendly type deals.  Thoughts?  Anywhere to get good picnic stuff for Tanglewood?

Also, we'll probably need a place to stop for lunch halfway up (and back) between Bergen County and the Berkshires (probably on the I-87 side of the river). Thoughts?

We're also having a big meetup for dinner one night.  Anyone know anything about the Dakota Steakhouse?  I have to be diplomatic on this one because of all the different families involved, but it looks like an awful chain from the website. 

Thanks in advance.

9 Replies Related Threads

jaylhorner
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re:The Berkshires- Stockbridge, Lenox and Pittsfield 2011/07/06 19:21:03 (permalink)
    Great picnic stuff..... Guido's in Pittsfield or Great Barrington.
    waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 400
    Re:The Berkshires- Stockbridge, Lenox and Pittsfield 2011/07/07 10:22:03 (permalink)
    The Dakota is a small regional chain.  While I have not been there in a while I have always enjoyed my meal.

Try the Teo's and the Hot dog Ranch for mini dogs get them with the works.

I have always enjoyed the Morgan House in Lee.

Also look at http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Rhinebeck-NY-Stockbridge-Lenox-Mass-3-day-jaunt-m656492.aspx

Walt

Walt
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:The Berkshires- Stockbridge, Lenox and Pittsfield 2011/07/07 10:48:22 (permalink)
    I've been to both Teo's and The Hot Dog Ranch, and definitely prefer the Ranch.  Teo's rolls are too big for the mini dogs.

Just about a quarter mile South of Dakota's is http://halpinsgrubandgrog.com/  It's a fun Irish Bar; I wouldn't call it a pub.  My friend brought me there for the Irish Nachos; Waffle fries with Cheddar Cheese Sauce and Chunks of Corned Beef.  It was fantastic.  

Also, that same friend was fired from that Dakota's almost 10 years ago, and I haven't been back since.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:The Berkshires- Stockbridge, Lenox and Pittsfield 2011/07/07 12:03:40 (permalink)
    Exit 18 on the NYS Thruway (I 87)is New Paltz. 
    As you enter the village,  via Main St, Rt 299, on your right is a shopping plaza.
    The diner is OK, the pizza joint is pretty good, the Caribbean-Jamaican joint is good if you like goat curry and such, there's also a bagel shop that has pretty good sandwiches.

If you keep going down Main Street, on your left is a small strip mall with a good pizza joint ( might also want to stop for a quick smoke at the Hookah bar). A block past there , also on the left is MY Hero which offers a very good cold or hot hero sandwich. About another block on the right is Grimaldi's pizza - the best pizza in town in my opinion. Keep going down Main street and you'll see P&Gs famous bar on your right  which has a good hamburger and chili and such. Also on your right a block past P&Gs is the Bistro - good breakfast and lunch - the place is a bit grungy but the food is good. Yanni's, just past the Bistro, has interesting Greek/Turkish/Middle eastern dishes At the foot of Main Street is a brew pub, Gilded Otter - good brews, so-so food.

Cheers, John 
    post edited by seafarer john - 2011/07/07 12:06:19
    Pigiron
    Re:The Berkshires- Stockbridge, Lenox and Pittsfield 2011/07/07 13:05:50 (permalink)
    Seafarer John:  New Paltz sound like a perfect rest stop- just about halfway.  Do you happen to know if there's an easily accessible park or playground?  I it would break up the trip nicely if my boy can get out of the car and run around a bit.

Thanks!

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:The Berkshires- Stockbridge, Lenox and Pittsfield 2011/07/07 16:10:46 (permalink)
    Hasbrouck park has a child friendly play area with all sorts of things to climb on and such.
    When you exit the Thruway there's a traffic light. Counting that light, go to the 4th light on Main St and turn left onto S. Manheim Blvd. (rt 32 S), at the third block (Plattekill Ave. ) turn right and go about 4 blocks and you'll see the park on your left. To get back to Main St., take any street going north - it's only a block from the park to Main St. 

Cheers, John 
    Pigiron
    Re:The Berkshires- Stockbridge, Lenox and Pittsfield 2011/07/07 23:51:30 (permalink)
    seafarer john

Hasbrouck park has a child friendly play area with all sorts of things to climb on and such.
    When you exit the Thruway there's a traffic light. Counting that light, go to the 4th light on Main St and turn left onto S. Manheim Blvd. (rt 32 S), at the third block (Plattekill Ave. ) turn right and go about 4 blocks and you'll see the park on your left. To get back to Main St., take any street going north - it's only a block from the park to Main St. 

Cheers, John 

Thanks John! Awesome!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:The Berkshires- Stockbridge, Lenox and Pittsfield 2011/07/08 03:54:40 (permalink)
    Pigiron-hope to read a report on your travels!!!
    Pigiron
    Re:The Berkshires- Stockbridge, Lenox and Pittsfield 2011/07/11 23:31:38 (permalink)
    This trip is complete, but I don't think it's worth it's own trip report.  All of our meals were either a) on the run, b) eaten with four families or c) eaten in the hotel.  Travelling with a 2.5 year old, it's no longer about getting great food for me, which is fine, I have my baseball trips and business trips for that.

On the way up, we stopped in the bagel shop in New Paltz that Seafarer John mentioned.  The bagels were very good, nice and fresh.  The sandwiches were ultra skinny and way too expensive, but fine for eating on the run.

First night's dinner was at a place called The Rainbow in downtown Pittsfield.  Kind of a neighborhoody American-fare kind of place.  It was fairly crowded for 5pm on a Friday, in a town with a lot of restaurants. Looked like mostly locals.  They very wisely put us in a private banquet room (4 adults and 3 kids under 3).  I had the special: prime rib, which was very good.  Other had things like manicotti and stuffed shrimp, none of which looked remarkable at all.  The lobster bisque was quite good.  Every entree comes with dessert, which were tiny slices of a variety of cakes.  All very tasty. 

We found a cool little roadside soft-serve shack for lunch one day.  No idea of the name, but it's right at the crossroads of routes 22 and 43 on the NY/MA border, down the road from the entrance to Jiminy Peak.  We were visiting a petting zoo called Uncle Don's Farm, and this was the only lunch option in the area.  Just sandwiches and burgers, and quite frankly the food was pretty lame, but it was a fun little place with a classic road food feel.  Unfortunately, the ice cream sucked.  It was that commercial stuff that blends in a ribbon of syrup to give it a flavor, like creamsicle or blueberry.  Yuck.  The kids loved it, but what do they know!

Our BIG dinner (9 adults and 6 kids) was at The Dakota Steakhouse on the border of Pittfield and Lenox.  It's a very small chain (maybe 3 or 4 locations?) but it has the look, the menu and the quality of an enormous nationwide chain.  It's supposed to look like a hunting lodge, but everything from the rafters to the canoes hanging from the ceiling to all the taxidermy on the walls was fake.  Just so unapealing in every way.  The place was enormous and jam packed.  There's a semi-open kitchen featuring a frenzy of overworked line cooks desperately trying to keep up.  Typical steak house menu, but insanely expensive for the quality (steaks were around $28).  Just about everyone ordered one kind of steak or another.  Every single order had at least one thing wrong- mostly the tempurature.  My steak as ordered meduim rare and came out a dark grey.  The staff was harried, but very nice and tried to correct everything.  In fairness, some of my party really liked this place.  I hated it.

Some of us went to a ballgame at historic Wahconah Park on Saturday night- which made me really happy.  Independant league baseball: the Pittsfield Colonials vs. the Newark Bears.  I had been there before, but it was a fabulous night.  One of the oldest still-active parks in the country (perhaps the oldest?)  My son was conked out at the hotel with my wife, but a nice group of us enjoyed the game.  Tim Raines Jr. hit a game-winning grand slam.  Beautiful night. 

Sunday we picnicked (picniced?) at Tanglewood with provisions from Guido's Marketplace in Pittsfield.  It's a very good gourmet food store with the best curried chicken salad I've ever had. 

Breakfast both days we all had the overpriced ($18) and very mediocre breakfast buffet at the Crowne Plaze in Pittsfield. 

All in all, an awesome trip.  An easy 3 hours each way with no traffic to speak of.  My son had an absolute ball at the Berkshire museum, the petting zoo, the pool, and at Tanglewood, which for my money, just might be the most wonderful place in the world.  I plan on going back every year.
    post edited by Pigiron - 2011/07/11 23:37:42
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1