The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York

Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6188
2008/01/11 20:34:54 (permalink)

The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York

Growing up in the North East is a lucky thing!!! So many kinds of food..we become eclectic eaters...and so much original food...Take bagels....there are still places in the mid west that don't know what a bagel is....or at least a real bagel...a real bagel does not come in a sleeve in a frozen food section...nor is it sold by someone called CDunkin' donuts.
Got me to thinking.....Where can we find iour favorite bagel???? and what flavor??? Anyone ever had a spinach bagel??
leethebard

15 Replies Related Threads

DPuro329
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York 2008/01/16 21:32:09 (permalink)
    I know it's a chain but I like Manhattan Bagels, especially their jalepeno cheddar bagel. There's also something to finding a local mom and pop bagel shop and getting taylor ham and cheese on a bagel.

Dave
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York 2008/01/17 21:47:54 (permalink)
    i had a pretty damn good one at Tal bagels in New york followed by another spectacular at Barney Greengrass
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York 2008/01/20 21:39:21 (permalink)
    Yup, I agree with Porkbeaks, H&H bagels are the best as far as I am concerned in Manhattan, at least. Nothing better than reaching into a bin just recently filled with recently baked, still warm onion bagels to get your fix.

Also, (and this is the second time that I have forgotten the name of some of my favorite places in Manhattan...getting old, I guess!) the well-known bagel place on the East Side in the 20's (1st Avenue?)has really good bagels, and great whitefish, salmon, and cream cheese spreads. Anyone recall the name of the place?
    amini1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York 2008/01/21 05:08:57 (permalink)
    H&H are probably my favorite. Ess-a-bagel is good too but the bagels are just a tad too big for my tastes. My preferred flavour is everything with lox spread.
    southjerseymichigan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re:The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York 2009/08/21 12:16:51 (permalink)
    leethebard

Growing up in the North East is a lucky thing!!! So many kinds of food..we become eclectic eaters...and so much original food...Take bagels....there are still places in the mid west that don't know what a bagel is....or at least a real bagel...a real bagel does not come in a sleeve in a frozen food section...nor is it sold by someone called CDunkin' donuts.
    Got me to thinking.....Where can we find iour favorite bagel???? and what flavor??? Anyone ever had a spinach bagel??
    leethebard

Long gone, but the Echelon Bagel Factory in the Echelon Mall in Voorhees Twp., N.J., had WONDERFUL apple cinnamon raison bagels. Have not found that combinatinon since

Also good, a bagel place in the shopping center s.w. corner of Woodward and 13 Mile in Royal Oak. Forgot its name, had supersized bagels and some good, original flavors (like spinach)

josefinajoisey
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York 2009/08/21 12:40:21 (permalink)
    You would think you'd be able to find excellent bagels in Northern NJ, but mostly they are just...big, and not especially tasty.

My favorite bagels are made at Breadzilla, in Wainscott, out on Eastern Long Island.  Tasty, with a bit of a vinegar/yeast tang - not too big.  Love them.
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York 2009/08/21 12:54:51 (permalink)
    tacchino

Also, (and this is the second time that I have forgotten the name of some of my favorite places in Manhattan...getting old, I guess!) the well-known bagel place on the East Side in the 20's (1st Avenue?)has really good bagels, and great whitefish, salmon, and cream cheese spreads. Anyone recall the name of the place?

You're referring to Ess-A-Bagel, 1st Ave at 21st Street (also a branch on 3rd Ave at 51st).  Best bagels on the planet. 
    Tommy B
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 144
    RE: The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York 2009/08/21 12:58:28 (permalink)
    i've been in jersey since '87.....and have NEVER found a better bagel than Parsippany Hot Bagels,   located in a small strip mall on Rt 46 westbound...just west of the New Road intersection in Parsippany

owner the same since the 80's......

just absolutely wonderful bagels
    cameron074
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York 2009/08/21 14:01:38 (permalink)
    My father owned/ran the Bagel Barn in Parsippany years and years ago. I think the space is now occupied by Baldwin Bagels. I'll never forget getting up at 2AM when I was 5 and going to help him make bagels. They were delicious!
    Tony White
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York 2009/08/21 14:17:50 (permalink)
    Hot Bagel's  on Saddle River Road in Fair Lawn NJ.
    Same Owner for over 30 Years.
    Forsyth
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York 2009/08/24 22:16:38 (permalink)
    H&H - Heaven
    Ess-A-Bagel - Just about there
    Stuff'N Bagels (Oceanside, NY) - so far the finest I've found on da Island ( I especially love their sunflower bagels lightly schmeared with sunflower seed 'butter').

Plain, sesame or poppy.  Maybe onion or "everything."  My grandfather insisted on only plain or sesame as being "fit" for belly lox and a slice of each onion and tomato.

However, just to be curmudgeon-y - I will admit to having eaten, and enjoyed the cinnamon toast bagel carried by Panera.  Yes, I know it's a chain.  Their coffee is better than (and far less pricey than) that other big green chain.  I got sucked in by the caffeine.

Forsyth
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York 2009/08/24 22:20:56 (permalink)
    And another addendum.....how could I forget Kossar's?

4:30AM in NYC and where do you get onion platzel?

Pretty much right next door to the yucky donut place.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York 2009/08/24 22:44:08 (permalink)
      If you want to taste how bagels tasted years ago in Newark, N.J., when a bagel was a bagel, try Bagels 4 U.

There are several locations in N.J. The late Sonny Amster, a true bagel legend to bagel aficionados in N.J, founded them. Just Google Bagels 4 U to find a store nearest you.   

Kindly report back here after you find that you agree, so that others will know to avail themselves of this fine delicacy of circular dough.

The Bear

cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1620
    Re:The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York 2009/08/25 08:47:29 (permalink)
    leethebard
    ...a real bagel does not come in a sleeve in a frozen food section

But if you live in a bagel-poor environment, the best bagel in the area just might come that way. As an ex-NYer now living in east central FL, I keep a sleeve of Ray's NY Bagels in the freezer. (Publix carries them.) While certainly nowhere near the best bagel I've ever had, I've had worse while living in NY.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:The Best Bagel In New Jersey?New York 2009/08/25 12:23:19 (permalink)
    cavandre

leethebard
    ...a real bagel does not come in a sleeve in a frozen food section

But if you live in a bagel-poor environment, the best bagel in the area just might come that way. As an ex-NYer now living in east central FL, I keep a sleeve of Ray's NY Bagels in the freezer. (Publix carries them.) While certainly nowhere near the best bagel I've ever had, I've had worse while living in NY.
    Another ex-NYer here who has lived outside of NY state since around 1970.  I lived in Yonkers growing up and we would always get ours under the L in the Woodlawn section of The Bronx - coming from Yonkers the bagel factory was on the right about 2 miles from the end of the L.

Having lived in the great Cincinnati area since 1977 I am pleased to report that there is one bagel factory/store/restaurant in the area who produces excellent NY style bagels - they are Kosher and the place is run by a Catholic:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/32/362004/restaurant/Blue-Ash/Marx-Hot-Bagels-Cincinnati

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1