The Best Breakfast Foods

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
nvb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 18:15:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

The bisquit has got to be special like Hardee's but the ham has got to be fat, smoked and great.

There you go. One of the stores here sell ham biscuits but they are not smoked or fatty.

Thanks for your good wishes, berndog.
cbolado
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 18:42:01 (permalink)
I'm a HUGE fan of adding bacon to waffles and pancakes. As in lots of bacon cooked inside the waffles and pancakes. Delicious.
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/09 01:20:40 (permalink)
Lets not forget about the fried fish for breakfast.
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/09 09:35:12 (permalink)
One of the breakfast specialties in our area (besides dried beef gravy aka creamed chipped beef on toast) is called by various names like Country Eggs or Farmers' Breakfast. It's sliced or cubed potatoes, ham, and onions (sometimes green pepper too) - fried together, then a couple of beaten eggs dumped on top to make it one big plate-sized blob. It's served with toast on the side and is a very popular choice.
forurlungsonly
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/09 11:18:37 (permalink)
The first thing I thought of was the same as lleechef's suggestion of stuffed French toast. It's awesome! There is a tiny breakfast-lunch only diner here in Albany that serves theirs with a butterscotch whiskey sauce. So so good. My absolute favorite breakfast spot in Albany, Madison's End Cafe, has really good homebaked breads, such as honey walnut, and delicious omelettes with ingredients like fresh tomatoes and Irish bacon (akin to Canadian bacon). Also, many kinds of fruit pancakes are popular. Try adding apples, blackberries, peaches.

Along the lines of oatmeal, which someone mentioned, I have never tried theirs, but Madison's End not only serves Irish Oatmeal for breakfast, they also have a very popular Oatmeal-Raspberry waffle. The lines are out the door on Sunday mornings, but it is worth the wait!

Hope I gave you some ideas. Good luck!
kilerclown
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/09 13:50:52 (permalink)
I Q at home and always save some brisket to dice up and add to hashbrowns in the morning. Really good. I say stich with the Q theme or offer unique omlets with great fillings...vary the cheeses you use too. Something like a ham and greens omlet with swiss cheese.
nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/09 15:39:09 (permalink)
More great suggestions. Thanks!
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/09 15:50:33 (permalink)
That is sad to think about. I can't think of a breakfast place around here that does not have ham biscuits. You usually even have your choice of regular ham and country ham. We even have livermush biscuits-Ort would like tha
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
Originally posted by Slick

Now ya gotta tell me what's unique about their Ham Biscuits.

Well, the REALLY unique thing is the fact that they SERVE them! Maybe it's different NE of Dallas, but here around Austin, I don't know of a single place I could walk into and get a ham biscuit for breakfast. (Well, maybe I could at Cracker Barrel, but that doesn't count.)
yumbo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/09 18:10:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 6star

Here is one that sounds weird, but is delicious: Fried Shredded Wheat. Soak a full-sized Shredded Wheat biscuit in warm milk, until it is soft. Drain slightly and then fry in butter in a skillet until the outside is crispy (but not burnt), turning it over to crisp both sides. Serve hot in a bowl with a sugar bowl and a small pitcher of the warm milk on the side (so the customer can add to his taste). It ends up with an unbelievable wheat taste (and no straw-like texture).

You mean it doesn't taste like those loofas I use in the bathtub?
yumbo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/09 18:12:31 (permalink)
I would add REAL corned beef hash.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/09 18:18:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by emsmom
We even have livermush biscuits-Ort would like that
quote:

quote:

Emsmom,
Tell me where! As soon as I can travel, I'll go check it out.
Thanks for thinking of me!
(Liver) Pudding My Best Foot Forward, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/09 18:22:37 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
In these parts, it's not uncommon for folks to eat fried chicken for breakfast. The Gateway Cafe' has it on their breakfast menu, and the waitresses will ask if you want it hot or cold - some folks prefer it one way, some the other.
I've already mentioned livermush, so I won't reiterate.
Homemade corned beef hash is a rare treat in these parts, and it may well make an appearance directly on the breakfast menu of the newly-reopened Normaltown Cafe', which is now The Royal Cafe' - the day cook and her husband bought the place from Judy, the former owner. They're looking for suggestions here and there; I'll suggest this to them tomorrow.
Some people here also eat pie for breakfast. I've never been able to do that, but it's worth consideration... I s'pose. (Make mine mince.)
Crustily, Ort. Carlton in Rainy And Warm Athens, Georgia.
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/09 21:37:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by yumbo

quote:
Originally posted by 6star

Here is one that sounds weird, but is delicious: Fried Shredded Wheat. Soak a full-sized Shredded Wheat biscuit in warm milk, until it is soft. Drain slightly and then fry in butter in a skillet until the outside is crispy (but not burnt), turning it over to crisp both sides. Serve hot in a bowl with a sugar bowl and a small pitcher of the warm milk on the side (so the customer can add to his taste). It ends up with an unbelievable wheat taste (and no straw-like texture).

You mean it doesn't taste like those loofas I use in the bathtub?

I have never tasted a loofa (always been afraid to because of what it says spelled backwards), but I can guess they are probably pretty tasteless. The fried shredded wheat has a very rich, strong wheaty taste like a home-baked-from-scratch (not bread machine) whole wheat bread or rolls. Really yummy! Try one!
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/10 08:27:32 (permalink)
There is a place here in Gastonia, NC called Tonys, right on Hwy. 74.
They are our local ice cream parlor, but they also have a seperate window for sandwiches and they have big homemade biscuits. when you order livermush, you get a nice thick slab fried on the biscuit with anything else you want on it. At lunchtime, they also serve livermush on a bun all the way with mustard, onion and chili and it is good
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
Originally posted by emsmom
We even have livermush biscuits-Ort would like that
quote:

quote:

Emsmom,
Tell me where! As soon as I can travel, I'll go check it out.
Thanks for thinking of me!
(Liver) Pudding My Best Foot Forward, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/10 10:46:27 (permalink)
i hate to give this up, Slick---but i make a Oklahoma style hash using sweet and white potatoes and BBQed Brisket in place of corned beef---its awesome--after the hash is gotten its crust---a MUST--i make indedations in the hash and drop eggs in them---cover and cook till the eggs are ready--like poshed---firm but with runny yolks---and use a sauce that i mix up using 1/2 barbecue sauce and half Mrs Renfro's peach salsa. Its realy good and a natural for a que operation.

BTW--im in Oklahoma so when this is a big hit on your menu and your rich and famos---i expect free breakfasts whenever im down there in Baja Oklahoma!

ps---i Used Oklahoma in the name of this dish---i wouldnt expect a Texan to do so---gut if you use it you cant call it TEXAS hash---OK?---maybe we can settle on Orange Flannel Hash!
nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/10 15:30:56 (permalink)
Thanks, tiki! It sounds wonderful and I promise not to use 'Texas' in the name. Although, I have told my employees that if they came up with a dish we would name it after them. How does Tiki's Oklahoma Hash sound?
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/10 16:16:29 (permalink)
Slick I mentioned the brisket tacos as an idea for your lunch / dinner menu. But how about trying to sell your brisket to the 2 mexican places there and see if they want to make brisket tacos? Maybe you could do a special rub for their brisket like cumin or some other spice.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/10 17:58:15 (permalink)
quote:

Thanks, tiki! It sounds wonderful and I promise not to use 'Texas' in the name. Although, I have told my employees that if they came up with a dish we would name it after them. How does Tiki's Oklahoma Hash sound?

Cool! Thanks---I'll be down for breakfast one of these days!!!So lets us know you loecation and when you start the new menu--i am sure there sre several folks here willing to stop on by!
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 862
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/10 18:26:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Anything freshly baked is always a big hit......bisquits as Sundancer said, or muffins or scones......all are easy and require no rise time.

An interesting twist on French Toast is to stuff it! Incorporate some chopped nuts (of your choice, I use pecans) into cream cheese. Take a piece of bread, cover with a layer of nutted cream cheese, put another piece of bread on top, creating a sandwich. Dip into the usual egg/cream/cinnamon/nutmeg batter and fry. Cut on the diagonal and put a rasher of bacon alongside. Serve with an orange/apricot sauce, or an apple/cinnamon compote......or just plain maple syrup.

Well, I know what *I'm* having for breakfast tomorrow! Sounds like a winner.

I'll second the list MYMimi put up. Lots of stuff there was at Cafe One in Ft. Bragg, Cal...that's my idea of an organic restaurant, to have butter and maple syrup.

I had sliced tomatoes with my eggs & toast at some little place - nice & simple, but maybe best to use good in-season ones. Mmmm, summer.
nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/10 22:19:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Maynerd

Slick I mentioned the brisket tacos as an idea for your lunch / dinner menu. But how about trying to sell your brisket to the 2 mexican places there and see if they want to make brisket tacos? Maybe you could do a special rub for their brisket like cumin or some other spice.

The two places do their own version of BBQ and it's really quite different than mine, and well, not quality food at all. These guys buy some of the worst of the worst and call it wonderful. Call it heritage, I guess.

We're going to try a brisket taco and see just what it tastes like. Anything is a possibility with me.
nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/10 22:24:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Vince Macek

I had sliced tomatoes with my eggs & toast at some little place - nice & simple, but maybe best to use good in-season ones. Mmmm, summer.

We eat fresh tomatoes with our breakfast all the time in the summer. They are best when you walk out your back door and pick them.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7771
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/11 10:59:44 (permalink)
I'm not sure if this is a good Idea or not. And I'm not sure how open the general public might be to this, but why not try some specials outside of the region. Perhaps some big fluffy cinnamon rolls like those they serve in Iowa. How about New England Style baked beans, red flannel hash or johnny cakes. Maybe some Utah scones or Southwestern Fry Bread. NYC lox eggs n onions, Pennsylvania Scrapple or Mid Atlantic Chipped Beef on Toast. These are just suggestions, and I'm not sure if they would fly. Perhaps if they were served as daily specials instead of adding them to the regular menu, you might get an idea of potentially how popular they could be.
nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/11 17:34:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

I'm not sure if this is a good Idea or not. And I'm not sure how open the general public might be to this, but why not try some specials outside of the region. Perhaps some big fluffy cinnamon rolls like those they serve in Iowa. How about New England Style baked beans, red flannel hash or johnny cakes. Maybe some Utah scones or Southwestern Fry Bread. NYC lox eggs n onions, Pennsylvania Scrapple or Mid Atlantic Chipped Beef on Toast. These are just suggestions, and I'm not sure if they would fly. Perhaps if they were served as daily specials instead of adding them to the regular menu, you might get an idea of potentially how popular they could be.

I can tell you right away that the cinnamon rolls would be a hit if they were really good. One example of the rest of your suggestion is that I'll be serving for the last time a wonderful jambalaya come Thursday. I've served this to a whole lotta customers and everyone has complimented it over and over. I'm stopping it because people show up and eat it once to find out about it. But, for the most part, they wouldn't order it again because now they knew what it was and would stick with the basics. So, I'm not selling but a few plates of it and it is not even paying for itself.

Let's see... I've tried this with Beer Can Chicken and spaghetti and meat sauce. I only developed three people that would come and get the spaghetti faithfully and actually got laughed at for serving it in a BBQ joint (although I hear BBQ'd spaghetti is pretty good). The Beer Can Chicken woulda been a tremendous hit if I could have found an all white yardbird. I actually accumulated around three dozen frozen legs and thighs that I tried to sell them for a buck each. I ended up sending them home with employees.

Folks around here are pretty fickle and have proven to me that while change is good, it's only temporary.
Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/11 18:09:31 (permalink)
Slick i love breakfast in or out. I think the key to success is in the details and quality. Absolutely get the freshest eggs,cheese dairy etc and serve real and good butter (and serve it cold -if the bread is hot). offer the best bread you can get and have a variety-depending on where you are- and homemade or as close as you can get to it. It sounds like your in Texas so your bacon, sausage and ham should be top quality. My wife has always said that resurants should offer 1 special item each day- thats where you get creative and find out what your regulars and others like-who may become regulars- omelettes with other regions foods-like a crab and asparagus w/ hollandaise (for example) or a original joe-SF i think with sausage, spinach and cheese or a Waffle/pancake stuffed french toast variation- offer great pancakes, one original-buttermilk type and 1 wheat,nut,hearty type or stuff really good challah with bananas,nuts brown sugar rolled in sugared corn flakes crumbs,etc...

Serve really good potatoes-onions are always a good addition- reproduce the Asher special from the dearly departed Skeeters in gainseville FL- home fries topped Inorder with melted cheese, eggs (your choice)and meat on side of a big platter-with an oversized biscut.
My wife makes anawesome breakfast pizza with ricotta on crust then scrambled eggs, meat like bacon-chopped or sausage- ground-then cheese-you cuold offer them as omelettes by allowing customer to choose toppings- just have dough ready to go.

Good Luck
verysleepy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/11 18:32:08 (permalink)
I think folks, we are "helping" Slick here too much. As he just said, his clientele expects BBQ, and he has to make a profit on items- so nothing fancy! Cinnamon rolls would not be expensive to make, but some of the other suggestions will cost way too much. I think the best options is the Brisket or "pulled pork" hash, or ham biscuits, or interesting omelette combinations that include his bbq.

Slick- another recipe I just made, that could work- I originally saw on Emeril's on his bbq show- corn bread with pulled pork baked right in it. It is fabulous. A piece of that with scrambled eggs....now.. thats a breakfast.

Best of luck again,
Nadine
Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/11 20:58:14 (permalink)
Slick i love breakfast in or out. I think the key to success is in the details and quality. Absolutely get the freshest eggs,cheese dairy etc and serve real and good butter (and serve it cold -if the bread is hot). offer the best bread you can get and have a variety-depending on where you are- and homemade or as close as you can get to it. It sounds like your in Texas so your bacon, sausage and ham should be top quality. My wife has always said that resurants should offer 1 special item each day- thats where you get creative and find out what your regulars and others like-who may become regulars- omelettes with other regions foods-like a crab and asparagus w/ hollandaise (for example) or a original joe-SF i think with sausage, spinach and cheese or a Waffle/pancake stuffed french toast variation- offer great pancakes, one original-buttermilk type and 1 wheat,nut,hearty type or stuff really good challah with bananas,nuts brown sugar rolled in sugared corn flakes crumbs,etc...

Serve really good potatoes-onions are always a good addition- reproduce the Asher special from the dearly departed Skeeters in gainseville FL- home fries topped Inorder with melted cheese, eggs (your choice)and meat on side of a big platter-with an oversized biscut.
My wife makes anawesome breakfast pizza with ricotta on crust then scrambled eggs, meat like bacon-chopped or sausage- ground-then cheese-you cuold offer them as omelettes by allowing customer to choose toppings- just have dough ready to go.

Good Luck
nvb
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/13 09:09:43 (permalink)
More great ideas, thanks! As Nadine said I have to keep cost down so I can actually make a dime. But I'll be doing the best with what y'all have suggested. I'll report back hopefully in a couple of months.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7771
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/13 09:20:04 (permalink)
quote:
I can tell you right away that the cinnamon rolls would be a hit if they were really good.

Perhaps you might want to locate a midwestern cook book, or maybe one of the restaurants that the Sterns have gone to in Iowa have a cook book or publishes their cinamon roll recipes for the general public to enjoy.
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/13 12:22:13 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Maynerd

The two places do their own version of BBQ and it's really quite different than mine, and well, not quality food at all. These guys buy some of the worst of the worst and call it wonderful. Call it heritage, I guess.

We're going to try a brisket taco and see just what it tastes like. Anything is a possibility with me.

That's too bad about their poor quality. I know one of my favorite Tex-Mex places for lunch in Dallas has brisket tacos on their menu. I tried it once, but not again. Brisket was too tough, didn't have too much flavor (and at over $9.00 for a lunch plate it better have flavor!). The other place in Dallas I've had them was at Taco Diner in the West Village. They do a better job. They give a brown gravy dipping sauce with their version in addition to lime, cilantro, diced onion and a spicy chili spread to garnish. That version I've ordered many times.
Anyway, good luck and keep us posted on your breakfast adventures.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/13 12:45:36 (permalink)
One thing I occasionally like for breakfast is a chicken n biscuit.

This is essentially a breaded/spiced piece of boneless chicken breast freshly fried and placed on a buttermilk biscuit.

Arby's does one locally, albeit not a very good one. Two Chik-Fi-Let locations in town offer this, and these are excellent
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1