Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Best Breakfast Foods

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 78 of 78
noncentz

• Total Posts: 15
RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Thu, 12/16/04 10:29 PM (permalink)
My favorite unique breakfast (though I love good biscuits and gravy) is Breakfast Pasta. It's served i a few places here in Los Angeles. I took my east coast family out for breakfast during one visit and encouraged them to throw away all social convention and try it. They loved it as much as I. It was a staple for me at the Hollywood Hills Cafe on Vermont avenue, until they recently closed. The only other place I know of that does it right is Hugo's on Riverside Drive in Studio City, CA.

Breakfast pasta comes in two varieties that I've encountered, with meat (bacon or sausage) or without. With meat is usually called Pasta La Papa and without is called Pasta La Mama. Basically pasta is cooked then put into a frying pan and fried and tossed with scrambled egg. Scallions, grated cheese, garlic, and chopped bacon are added in. I can't begin to describe how delicious this is when done right.

Best of all, it's fairly cheap to make.

I found a site with a few breakfast pasta recipes. I'm sure this would be a unique and talked about addition to your menu.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_n3_v180/ai_6402445

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Thu, 12/16/04 10:51 PM (permalink)
    Cold Pizza!!

nvb

• Total Posts: 468
      RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Fri, 12/17/04 8:05 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      I'm sure this would be a unique and talked about addition to your menu.

This is very unique. I've printed the recipes out for later experimentation. Thanks!

improviser

• Total Posts: 865
        RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Fri, 12/17/04 10:38 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by cbolado

I'm a HUGE fan of adding bacon to waffles and pancakes. As in lots of bacon cooked inside the waffles and pancakes. Delicious.

I second that. Whoever invented the bacon waffle was a true genius.

linus

• Total Posts: 252
          RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Sat, 12/18/04 6:48 PM (permalink)
          Ruby,farmer's breakfast made exactly as you describe, along with some bacon and hot pecan sweet rolls has been our traditional Christmas breakfast since I was a child. Yummy,and easy, it's all in one pan! Anyone thinking about trying it, you won't be sorry.

verysleepy

• Total Posts: 107
            RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Thu, 03/24/05 2:27 PM (permalink)
            Slick,
            It has been about 3 months now- so how has the breakfast business been going? Did you change your menu with any new additions?

I will be in Plano next weekend, coming in from NY, and if we have a chance, we might take a drive over your way. I have been nagging the bf though to take me to Ft. Worth to try the Q at Angelo's. So...if not q'ed out... will wave if we come over your way.

You are open for breakfast and lunch? I will be there Friday and Saturday.

Thanks
            Nadine

nvb

RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Thu, 03/24/05 5:16 PM (permalink)
              Hi, Nadine. I appreciate your interest!

Sorry, but I've not been able to start my breakfast yet. My new kitchen has only been open five weeks and we are still trying to iron out the wrinkles for lunch and dinner. At the moment I have only one cook and can't work him all the hours I would need for breakfast. He is, however, from a Waffle House, so I do have a breakfast cook when I find someone else to help him out.

My BBQ menu has stayed to same, but I've added a whole lot of new stuff for the grill side. Steaks, pork chops, grilled chicken and I'm told the best chicken-fried steak in the area.

At the moment my hours on Friday are 11A-8P and Saturday 11A-2P. If you could make it I would love to meet and feed you.

Dennis

Pitts

• Total Posts: 78
                RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Thu, 03/24/05 7:33 PM (permalink)
                A nice big breakfast burrito. tuffrd with scramble eggs, cheese, and meat ham, sausage, or chorizo. With fresh salsa and sliced limes. Can be served all day. Keep up the good work. BTW how about pulled pork, eggs and jack cheese with a little Q sauce.
                Jim Armstrong
                In Centralia, Washington( The Evergreen State! )

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
                  RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Thu, 03/24/05 9:00 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  There's an untapped market out there and I want it. Eggs Benedict and so on.

At the risk of being the Dr. Kevorkian here, how do you know there is an untapped market? What do the folks around town think they DON'T have?

nvb

RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Fri, 03/25/05 8:10 AM (permalink)
                    About 3 months ago I ran a survey about what people wanted a restaurant to be in this town. Breakfast food was a part of that and plenty of people repoted that would like to have options to the already available standard breakfast fare.

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
                      RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Fri, 03/25/05 9:30 AM (permalink)
                      I applaud you for doing your homework. Unfortunately, buyers tell you they want something but never know exactly what it is.

I am not in the restaurant biz. If I had this task, I might examine what others that have a successful breakfast biz are doing. I would search for something special that really brings them in and try that. Since I would probably identify many items, I might try daily specials and see which one hits. There are numerous breakfast places reviewed on this site. Perhaps you could start there.

Forgive me if I am being too much of a novice here. Good luck.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Fri, 03/25/05 9:47 AM (permalink)
                        Around Seattle, there really aren't very many breakfast choices ... the places that are here seem to focus on the super-sized omelette, with a hearty helping of home fries or hash browns, a ton of toast -- in short, a major gourmet experience.

It was only yesterday I relized I don't need a major event, I want a couple eggs, a hunk of meat, some home fries, a pice of toast, cooked quick, simply delivered, and let me be on my way. NOBODY does it simple. It reminds me of one of my favorite simple places, Jake's in Northampton, Massachusetts: http://smith.dailyjolt.com/food/details.html?id=7065
                        ... very good food. No frills.

That get's me thinking of another place, in Vegas, that is equally simple and serves the best, lightest, fluffiest, beautiful HASH (really, light, fluffy hash) I've ever had anyplace:
                        http://www.hashouse.com/
                        ... I'm nott sure you could ever emulate the HH's hash, but it could be a good niche too.

WaffleHouserules

• Total Posts: 353
                          RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Fri, 03/25/05 1:52 PM (permalink)
                          Country Ham, Hash Browns (well done), sausage links, bisquits, eggs, pancakes, waffles the whole works. I do not like gravey though.

Lavanda

• Total Posts: 111
                            RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Wed, 04/6/05 4:31 PM (permalink)
                            How about taters al gusto (to the diner's taste?
                            I love onions in mine but hate bell peppers, and love chile peppers. So why not have basic hom-style taters and allow the diner to add-oin onions, scallion, shrooms, bacon, tmatoes, etc etc , cheese, but not American !

Or Mexican style breakfast.

A true Mexican breakfast is really special, not necessarly eggs. You could do beans, chlaquiles ( stale ortillas cooked in a red spicy sauce, chichoarrones in salsa verde (pork skims cooked in green tomatillo sauce, Holler at me if you want more ideas.

Chef Susan

• Total Posts: 84
                              RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Sun, 04/10/05 6:34 PM (permalink)
                              Hey Slick, keep it simple. Try to use the same kinds of things you are already serving and just add some fried eggs to the plate (with the chicken fried steak) or scramble eggs with sausage (assuming you serve smoked sausage) and brisket breakfast potatoes with onions, peppers and top the whole thing with cheese or make a brisket burrito...For your sweet eaters, make a pecan bread pudding...or something easy you could become known for.

My husband made a killer bread pudding for a special brunch at his restaurant (just today!) that was a bananas foster bread pudding...and the people LOVED it. This can be made with leftover bread, dried or fresh fruit, eggs and cream/milk, cinnamon...and prepped the day before, baked in the morning and served plain or with whipped cream. Call it baked french toast!

Best of luck to you. Don't start breakfast until you are VERY comfortable with your other meals.

Scallion1

• Total Posts: 418
                                RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Mon, 04/25/05 8:45 PM (permalink)
                                My one bit of advice: stay away from Eggs Benedict. Lots of pitfalls, the Health Department can make your life miserable about holding temps for the hollandaise. Trust me, it ain't worth the effort.

Scallion1

• Total Posts: 418
                                  RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Mon, 04/25/05 8:50 PM (permalink)
                                  Lee,
                                  Powdered hollandaise mixes? That sounds like the downfall of western civilization to me. There's probably nothing more wonderful than a perfect hollandaise, and probably nothing more difficult to find. Too thick, too thin, lumpy, cold, separated, underseasoned... the list goes on and on.
                                  Not to mention how many poorly poached eggs and stale english muffins you'll find.
                                  When I want benedicts, once or twice a year (which means when the Boss wants them)I make them at home.

trolasater

• Total Posts: 71
                                    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods Mon, 04/25/05 9:22 PM (permalink)
                                    One of my friend's sons recently went to Iceland for an extended visit and said that most hotel breakfast buffets there have hot rice pudding with raisins as a choice in addition to oat porridge. I made a batch last Sunday and it was well received. My favorite breakfast food is fried livermush, 2 fried eggs over, and Heinz catshup. This isn't available around Raleigh, but is quite common in the Western Piedmont along I-40. A lot of the farmers there are of German descent (Isenhower, Misemore, etc.)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                      Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 78 of 78

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com