The Best Breakfast Foods

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
nvb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 468
2004/12/07 17:48:34 (permalink)

The Best Breakfast Foods

I need a little help, folks. I own a small BBQ joint (seats 65 people) and currently do not have much of a kitchen. Hopefully, I'll be solving that problem in the near future with a redesign of the place. I'm thinking of opening up Saturday mornings for breakfast when I get everything ready. My town is only around 3200 population and we currently have two places (not including Sonic) that serve breakfast. They both have good food, but only serve standard stuff.

I really want to be more than the standard breakfast place and I'm trying to be creative. There's an untapped market out there and I want it. Eggs Benedict and so on.

What are some of your favorite breakfast food that fall into this genre? I'll gladly accept any suggestions and/or recipes.

Thanks,

Slick

77 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/07 18:24:51 (permalink)
    Slick, unique breakfast potatoes hit the spot. Trying to be unique sometimes can be costly. In a town of 3200, it is my guess that these folks are not looking for goose pate in pancakes, they are probably looking for meat and potatoes.

Flapjacks, pancakes, waffles, eggs and either bacon, ham or sausage will be enjoyed.

If you could do bisquits like Hardees, you would be a hero.

My favortie breakfast is country fried steak with sausage gravy, eggs, hasbrowns with pancakes with maple syrup that is hot.

I personally do not think that breakfast has to be complicated, just good and hot.

I also think that a good breakfast menu will improve your lunch and dinner attendance. Each has to have a personal attention. Good luck with your venture.

I would also think that making bisquits fresh to order would help you. Folks tend to like them pretty, brown and with a crust. I do not know what Hardees do but they are good. I compare them to a Krispy Kreme doughnut except they are bisquits. They are good by themselves. You do that and you can sell them on their own merit.
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    MYmimi
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/07 19:21:20 (permalink)
    Thick bacon, Savory sausage.
    Sausage gravy.
    Real butter and real maple syrup.
    Grits.
    Terrific coffee.
    Fresh fruit.Real cream.
    Fluffy pancakes.
    Light as a feather BIG biscuits.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/07 19:22:28 (permalink)
    Anything freshly baked is always a big hit......bisquits as Sundancer said, or muffins or scones......all are easy and require no rise time.

An interesting twist on French Toast is to stuff it! Incorporate some chopped nuts (of your choice, I use pecans) into cream cheese. Take a piece of bread, cover with a layer of nutted cream cheese, put another piece of bread on top, creating a sandwich. Dip into the usual egg/cream/cinnamon/nutmeg batter and fry. Cut on the diagonal and put a rasher of bacon alongside. Serve with an orange/apricot sauce, or an apple/cinnamon compote......or just plain maple syrup.

If you do Eggs Benedict....please, please make the Hollandaise sauce by hand, fresh every morning! No powdered mixes!!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/07 19:33:23 (permalink)
    Lleechef: How do you do your breakfast potatoes? We in the East Tennessee valley do them with diced boiled potatoes, onions, peppers both bell and jalapeno, Lawry spice and salt and pepper. We then fry them till they are golden brown.

Knowing your interesting post, I suspect that you improve on that quite a bit.

Please advise your southern friends on how a French Chef improves on this.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/07 20:06:41 (permalink)
    Actually, Sundancer, that is exactly what I do much to the dismay of my SO who likes those "shredded" potatoes. PSHAW! I fry the diced-up potatoes in a cast-iron skillet with onion and peppers, S&P and they have to be crispy and HOT. Sometimes the simplest things are the best!
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/07 20:32:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    An interesting twist on French Toast is to stuff it!

Most interesting and I really like it!

Some really good suggestions, folks. Thanks! About the potatoes... Do you think that German fried potatoes with some red and green peppers (jalapenos optional) would work?
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/07 20:35:15 (permalink)
    A local BBQ guy started serving breakfasts of Brisket Wraps and Sausage Wraps simply because he was there checking on his BBQ in the morning and figured he should open his door to passers-by.

He's developed a whole new morning business because he recognized the potential.

And, he didn't even need help from the government. (Ok, sorry, another political snipe. )

So, if I were you, I'd start small. Work up from there, and G-d bless your efforts.

nvb
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/07 20:54:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

A local BBQ guy started serving breakfasts of Brisket Wraps and Sausage Wraps simply because he was there checking on his BBQ in the morning and figured he should open his door to passers-by.

Good for him!

Don't think I haven't thought along those lines. We have two convenience stores and one doughnut shop that sell those kinds of things. I'm not exactly that convenient, so I'm looking to tap a different market.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 00:25:43 (permalink)
    Here is one that sounds weird, but is delicious: Fried Shredded Wheat. Soak a full-sized Shredded Wheat biscuit in warm milk, until it is soft. Drain slightly and then fry in butter in a skillet until the outside is crispy (but not burnt), turning it over to crisp both sides. Serve hot in a bowl with a sugar bowl and a small pitcher of the warm milk on the side (so the customer can add to his taste). It ends up with an unbelievable wheat taste (and no straw-like texture).
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 01:17:56 (permalink)
    Are you in a part of TX that would welcome Huevos Rancheros on the menu?
    Other than that, when I was on the road, I saw more drivers tying into a plate of Chicken Fried Steak and eggs with sausage gravy, biscuits and gravy or flapjacks on a side plate, and a nice bowl of pintos than I did anything else. And one of those drivers was big ole me.
    Farfromhome
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 01:54:25 (permalink)
    Personally my favorite type of weekend breakfast place is a simple ma and pa (non chain) artery clogging buffet with things like fresh coffee, fresh fruits, scrambled eggs, grits, pancakes, bacon, sausage and fresh biscuits that you can just go in, fix your plate, sit at the table with your family and talk as you enjoy your meal. We tend to sleep late on weekends and so by the time we get around to having breakfast we are all like ravenous wolves so the idea of a buffet is really good because you don't have to wait for the food to be prepared. I don't know if something like this would be feasible with a small kitchen but its my idea of a perfect place to go for breakfast
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 08:07:18 (permalink)
    I'm surprised by how rarely I find truly good oatmeal in breakfast spots.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 08:42:46 (permalink)
    When you say a little different, I thought of The Goode Company in Houston ... not the legendary 'q place but their sister restaurant across the street:

http://www.goodecompany.com/restresults.asp?restID=1
    ... the menu is on the site.

I never had a bad breakfast there and I suspect your kitchen might work well with this kind of approach.

verysleepy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 08:45:32 (permalink)
    Hi Slick

Since you already are in the BBQ business, you must have some "hog" connections? If so, how bout some true Country Ham- you know, bone in and all. That alone has made me make a trip to an establishment. We can't get that in most places, just the thin sliced deli ham- so make the country ham a selling point of your breakfast. Fresh OJ is always nice too, and GOOD decaf.

nvb
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 09:01:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Are you in a part of TX that would welcome Huevos Rancheros on the menu?

One would think so being just NE of Dallas. But, we already have two original mexican places in the area and they report sales are low. Their biggest breakfast sellers are tacos and burritos filled with eggs, meat and potatoes.

quote:
    Here is one that sounds weird, but is delicious: Fried Shredded Wheat.

Okay, might just be weird enough to be a hit. Thanks!

I will be serving the standard fare and believe me chicken fried steak and pork chops are standard here. Thanks for The Goode Company link. More very good ideas there.
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 09:06:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Since you already are in the BBQ business, you must have some "hog" connections?

Funny you should mention this because I had to stop raising hogs when I bought the restaurant. I got really tired of feeding at 10:00 at night, and the hogs were not really happy about it, either. I do buy whole hams and do the smoking myself, so that's covered.
    verysleepy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 09:14:13 (permalink)
    Slick- what is the name of your bbq joint? Occasionally, though from NY, I visit the boyfriend in Plano, and your location doesn't seem that far away. Do you do the normal bbq fare for Texas?

Nadine
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 09:33:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by verysleepy

Slick- what is the name of your bbq joint? Occasionally, though from NY, I visit the boyfriend in Plano, and your location doesn't seem that far away. Do you do the normal bbq fare for Texas?

Nadine

It's The BBQ Corner located on the square in Farmersville, which is about 30 minutes from Plano. And yes, we do the normal BBQ menu. I've added some non-BBQ things for some lunch specials, too.
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2014
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 10:12:23 (permalink)
    A BBQ Omlette? I have had one. Not bad.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 10:17:17 (permalink)
    How about chipped beef gravy on either toast or biscuits.
    Country ham is always good-you could do red eye gravy with that.
    aharste
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 11:15:40 (permalink)
    I've been craving the shrimp grits topped w/pico de gallo and jack cheese from Acme Cantina on Isle of Palms, SC

or

cheese grits from Lynn's Paradise Cafe in Lousville.
    aharste
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 11:20:15 (permalink)
    Also, really good home made steel cut oatmeal topped with brown sugar, cream, and bananas.

If you're a BBQ place, got any shredded pork you could put in omelettes? I think an omelette filled with shredded pork, fried potatoes, cheese, and salsa sounds yummy.

Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 11:39:24 (permalink)
    Since you have the BBQ pit, why not have BBQ'd HAM with biscuits and eggs or Ham steaks and eggs and biscuits? Or smoked bacon (you doing the smoking of course) and eggs. I love bacon cooked directly over a fire.

Ommlets would be good too with that smoked ham and biscuits.

Also Briskit tacos are getting to be popular in Dallas as a lunch / dinner dish.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 13:26:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Maynerd

Since you have the BBQ pit, why not have BBQ'd HAM with biscuits and eggs or Ham steaks and eggs and biscuits?

Hey. Start serving Ham Biscuits like they offer in Kentucky and Tennessee. Simple and unique in your area.
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 15:43:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    A BBQ Omlette? I have had one. Not bad.

The BBQ pork omlette sounds very good!

quote:
    Since you have the BBQ pit, why not have BBQ'd HAM with biscuits and eggs or Ham steaks and eggs and biscuits? Or smoked bacon (you doing the smoking of course) and eggs.

I'll have the smoked ham, but I hadn't thought of the bacon. I like it!

quote:
    Hey. Start serving Ham Biscuits like they offer in Kentucky and Tennessee. Simple and unique in your area.

Now ya gotta tell me what's unique about their Ham Biscuits.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 16:54:54 (permalink)
    Some really great suggestions already posted. I agree with the idea of quality, like a nice slice of smoke ham steak with your eggs or hotcakes. As for me, what brings my wife and I out for breakfast on weekends is something good we wouldn't make at home, like blueberry pancakes. I know it's a chain, but we enjoy the blueberry pancakes and sausage patties at Bob Evans.

I think quality food well prepared in smaller quantities will be the key to drawing repeat customers, especially those who already like your BBQ. Good luck and prosperous business to you Slick.
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 17:01:37 (permalink)
    In most parts of Texas, the breakfast taco/burrito is as ubiquitous and boring as a donut or a bagel, and people just get tired of them.

You could add one mexican breakfast plate (which is my personal favorite)
    Huevos Rancheros
    Fried potatos
    Refried beans
    With a Barbacoa taco(you could substitute brisket) on the side with pico de gallo

How about a breakfast quesadilla with ham, eggs, peppers and loads of cheese?

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 17:12:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Slick

Well, the REALLY unique thing is the fact that they SERVE them! Maybe it's different NE of Dallas, but here around Austin, I don't know of a single place I could walk into and get a ham biscuit for breakfast. (Well, maybe I could at Cracker Barrel, but that doesn't count.)
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Best Breakfast Foods 2004/12/08 17:47:29 (permalink)

This was posted by Slick:

You gotta know about breakfast to know what is unique about a ham and bisquit. The bisquit has got to be special like Hardee's but the ham has got to be fat, smoked and great.

You can get in it East Tennessee and it it wonderful.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1