The Best Burger in the South!!!!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
AggieNATL
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2006/04/20 13:04:39 (permalink)

The Best Burger in the South!!!!!

The Best Burgers in the South and perhaps the East Coast period are at Pete's Burgers and More in Reidsville NC... I've lived in Atlanta 5 years now, and when I go home to visit my family, Pete's is always my first stop in and my last stop out... The charbroiled tradition of Burger Chef is kept alive, and especially tasty is The Big Burger (A superior variation on the Big Mac, with lettuce, cheese and tartar sauce). Since I've been away, they've added a Double Big Burger(YUM!).

All their sandwich items are excellent, but my particular favorites besides the burgers are the Ribeye (no imitation meat there) served on a delicious onion roll with lettuce, tomato and mayo, and the fish filet sandwich (love that tangy tartar sauce).

I even pack coolers of dry ice whenever I visit Reidsville so I can take some Pete's food back to ATL with me...

Pete's Burgers and More- (R) 727 Scales St, Reidsville NC, 27320
349-6965

44 Replies Related Threads

dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/20 16:59:56 (permalink)
    Thats one heckuva boast for a neophyte to be making. Ahm sher yaw think itsa great burger butit aint gonna kempear to Cap'n Bubba's poussum burger with catttail fries.... Welcome to roadfood!
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1565
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/20 17:07:08 (permalink)
    I'll bet that they are the best, hands down.

Of course, when you make that claim, that means that you have tried every burger in the south and east coast.

Period.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/20 17:52:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by saps

I'll bet that they are the best, hands down.

Of course, when you make that claim, that means that you have tried every burger in the south and east coast.

Period.

I remember years back David Letterman went around New York City stopping in places that had signs that said NY's best, or World's best and he asked them about their research. He got many a confused look. It was quite funny.
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/21 10:11:18 (permalink)
    I wonder what he takes home packed on dry ice?
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3764
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/21 12:27:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

I remember years back David Letterman went around New York City stopping in places that had signs that said NY's best, or World's best and he asked them about their research. He got many a confused look. It was quite funny.

I will admit that I am a sucker for that kind of advertising. And...as you probably know from reading some of my posts, I do like to screw with people. If a sign says "World's Best Apple Pie" -- then I am going in to get some apple pie. You know what? Most of the time, their signs are not just boastful -- I don't know about "World's Best", but most times, the stuff is pretty good. Of course, when it is not, I will tell them -- and I will tell them whose is better.

Usually, you get a nice quizzical look...and I suggest that they change their sign to read "Fourth Best Apple Pie" or some such...

And, some folks have a sense of humor about it....and some don't.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/21 13:46:48 (permalink)
    quote:

I will admit that I am a sucker for that kind of advertising. And...as you probably know from reading some of my posts, I do like to screw with people. If a sign says "World's Best Apple Pie" -- then I am going in to get some apple pie. You know what? Most of the time, their signs are not just boastful -- I don't know about "World's Best", but most times, the stuff is pretty good. Of course, when it is not, I will tell them -- and I will tell them whose is better.

Usually, you get a nice quizzical look...and I suggest that they change their sign to read "Fourth Best Apple Pie" or some such...

I know what you mean...it is a good marketing ploy...as it certainly stimulates one's curiosity.

A local pizza place boasts the best pizza in New York...it isn't, but it got me to give them a try!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/21 14:30:02 (permalink)
    My baby bro just called me from Lowell, Ar. He had a burger at Roses Cofee Cup Cafe. He said it was great and had a real gressy bun. Could be the best? As mentioned earlier, we would need to try em all, and then try to agree. Hmmm?
    Joe
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/21 23:38:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:

Rudy's BBQ in Texas, which has been on Travel Channel and Food Network, has a sign out front saying "Worlds worst BBQ"..
    He said a guy came in and asked if it was true and Rudy said, "Hell yeah", and the guy left..
    He said he laughed and laughed about that one.
    Bluemaxx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/24 14:00:47 (permalink)
    I'll put in my 2 cents here as well. My vote for best burger in the South goes to either The Brass Ring in North Palm Beach, FL or The Brickyard Cafe in Daytona Beach, FL
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/24 17:26:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

Rudy's BBQ in Texas, which has been on Travel Channel and Food Network, has a sign out front saying "Worlds worst BBQ"..
    He said a guy came in and asked if it was true and Rudy said, "Hell yeah", and the guy left..

Apparently, he may have been telling the truth...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12592
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/24 19:23:42 (permalink)
    AggieNTAL,

Welcome to Roadfood and congratulations on only creating a minor disturbance instead of a hornets nest when using the superlative "best."

I am just as skeptical as my fellow Roadfood posters about superlatives though. The place you mention may be your favorite, but it is doubtful that it would be the best in anyone's book.

My doubt arises from how closely it mirrors fast food burgers. To me your description seems like a char-broiled burger done in the manner of a fast food joint.

I do like messing with corporations that use superlatives and especially claims of "awards."
    Currently, I am concentrating on supermarket bakeries that claim their in-house product to be award winning. I always ask to see the award. So far none can accommodate my request.
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/24 20:52:56 (permalink)
    Interesting how the subject of the "best burger" in the south has morphed into a discussion of who has the right to claim "best" on any subject. I hoped to hear more about good burgers in the south like those served at Poe's Tavern outside Mt. Pleasant SC, unfortunately, the standard responders couldn't stay on subject.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/25 07:22:28 (permalink)
    Well, my best might be Stamp's superburger in Jackson, MS, or the Vortex in ATL, or Zarzour's in Chattanooga, or the Copper Monkey in Gainesville, or the Dawsonville Pool Hall in Dawsonville, GA. It's too hard to pick just one.
    Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/26 10:21:22 (permalink)
    There are a few burgers in Virginia I like. Are they the best?
    Hmmm....

Richmond - Wall Street Deli, 8th and Main, griddle cooked and served on a HUGE (too huge really) kaiser roll.

Williamsburg - Second Street Tevern (also runs the concession at Jamestown Settlement), NY Deli, Victoria's and, surprisingly, Pierce's Pitt BBQ all make good burgers.

Natural Bridge - Pink Cadillac - reviewed on HollyEats.com
    Excellent shakes, too.

Good eating!
    Cathy
    djohnso6
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/26 10:53:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Williamsburger

Hmmm....

Richmond - Wall Street Deli, 8th and Main, griddle cooked and served on a HUGE (too huge really) kaiser roll.

Williamsburg - Second Street Tevern (also runs the concession at Jamestown Settlement), NY Deli, Victoria's and, surprisingly, Pierce's Pitt BBQ all make good burgers.

Excellent shakes, too.

Good eating!
    Cathy
    djohnso6
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/26 10:55:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by djohnso6

quote:
    Originally posted by Williamsburger

Hmmm....

Excellent shakes, too.

Good eating!
    Cathy
    The best burgers in Richmond now are Five Guys. Worth a drive from WIlliamsburg. Only serve hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries. Excellent food.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/26 17:30:12 (permalink)
    We seem to have chased aggie off
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/04/27 07:21:13 (permalink)
    By the way, I had one of the South's best last evening at the Vortex in Atlanta. I still have to say it's probably the best in ATL.
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/05/02 11:21:38 (permalink)
    "We seem to have chased aggie off" - Why am I not surprised. To her it was the best burger, I guess she just didn't want a lecture on what is "the best". I think we have the "best" burger in Huntsville, AL, at Big Spring Cafe. They are small, old-fashioned, with just onions and mustard, and you can order them "extra greasy" if you want.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/05/02 11:59:09 (permalink)
    Well, it could have been that we never scared anyone off and that the post that was made was just an advertisement for a place no one else on this site had ever heard of.

Or, I could just be a cynic.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/05/02 12:11:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

Well, it could have been that we never scared anyone off and that the post that was made was just an advertisement for a place no one else on this site had ever heard of.

Or, I could just be a cynic.

I think you MEANT to scare them off...or, I could just be a cynic too!
    tybeeguy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/05/02 13:25:02 (permalink)
    Who cares if it is the best? Aggie thinks it is and thats OK with me. Next time I am near Reidsville I will sure look up Pete's.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/05/02 14:21:41 (permalink)
    quote:

I think you MEANT to scare them off...or, I could just be a cynic too!

Hey, I am clean on this one! Go back and re-read this thread. There is not one bit of snarkiness coming from me.

Others that may have been chased away....well, I will just plead the Fifth on that one!
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/05/02 18:17:39 (permalink)
    I propose the best burger in the south to be from Park Drive-in (usully known as Herlocker's) on hwy 29 north of Charlotte. double cheesburger w/ fries for about $3.50.
    CasperImproved
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/05/02 18:50:30 (permalink)
    Aggie - Don't be a scardy cat... I am a newby, and have not yet been spanked.

Now... if you "really" want to make a thread go long... post and say the only tasty chili burger *must* include beans.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/05/02 19:41:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BBQ Barney

Interesting how the subject of the "best burger" in the south has morphed into a discussion of who has the right to claim "best" on any subject. I hoped to hear more about good burgers in the south like those served at Poe's Tavern outside Mt. Pleasant SC, unfortunately, the standard responders couldn't stay on subject.

Par for the course.
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/05/02 20:52:22 (permalink)
    thanks for the high praise--what's your burger favorite?
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/05/04 09:04:40 (permalink)
    If Kentucky is far enough South for you, go to Wilson's Pool Hall and have a "Willie Burger" and an order of onion rings. It's in Versailles, and they don't boast about being "the best" but it's a perfect roadfood burger and the ambience is good as well.

Andrea
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    RE: The Best Burger in the South!!!!! 2006/05/04 13:39:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BBQ Barney

Jack's Old Fashioned Hamburgers on US 1 (Federal Hwy) in Ft Lauderdale is hard to beat. Using an ancient Burger Chef site, they adhere to the In N Out philosophy of limited menu, hand formed burgers with meat ground fresh daily. The burgers come in one-third and one-half pound sizes and are prepared to order. They have other stuff, but the burgers are too scrumptious to pass up. Their fixings bar has fresh cut onion, pickles, jalapenos, and various condiments--with a mustard/mayo/relish sauce that is simply terrific! The place is always crowded, but they move 'em through quickly so you won't have to wait long to get one of the best burgers in the South!
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    P.S. Go to HollyEats' web site for pictures, address and tel # if you're going to be near Ft Lauderdale.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1