The Best Burrito Ever

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 359
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/03/15 13:48:28 (permalink)
BT's quote;
Here's what it looks like on the menu of my own neighborhood taqueria (El Castillito on Golden Gate Ave.)

You teaser, I thought you were going to show us another great picture.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4651
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/03/15 14:01:11 (permalink)
The best one is the first one, don't they say?

....if so, I have to nominate my old friend La Cumbre, at 16th and Valencia in SF.
For me in 1983, it was a total outside the box experience, for I'd had Grilled Steak, Rice, Whole Beans, Lettuce & Mexican Food all my life, but never the ingredients combined to make a Mexican Food totally unlike what I'd known up to that point. Nowadays the Mission Burrito is the prototype for Burrito Joints around the country, but back then it was a much more regional thing. Seeing those Ladies flip their steak, with the smoke curling to the ceiling from the open grill-Luscious.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4316
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/03/15 14:26:13 (permalink)
Pumbaa,

I don't know of any Mexican restaurants, taquerias, or burrito joints in Chicago that CAN'T serve your burrito in the manner you've described. As I recall, most places refer to this style as "suiza"; with cheese and, as BT states, topped with red or green sauce. Although around here, suiza usually indicates red sauce. It is available not only on burritos but enchiladas and flautas as well. If you don't see "suiza" offered on the menu, ask for it

There are several burrito threads here at Roadfood, some of them dealing specifically with Chicago's many burrito locations. You should use the search function and dig them up; they contain some good information.

As for my favorites, if I want a sit down experience, I'll go to Tecalitlan (TECKa-leedle-LAN) on Chicago Avenue about 5 blocks west of Ashland. When I worked in the city, my buddy and I would go there for lunch once a week. I'd order the steak burrito, he'd order the avocado. Then we'd split them and each take half, thereby fooling ourselves that we were getting a balanced meat and veggie lunch(HAH). Didn't matter, they were great. An added plus at Tecalitlan is their pico de gallo that is served at every table as soon as you sit down. The heat level would occasionally vary depending on who made that day's batch. But flavor-wise, it was always brilliant!

These days when I want my burrito to go, I will stop in at any one of the numerous "Burrito House" locations around the city. They make an outstanding version in both the typical "big as your head" size called the "king" and, thankfully, in my advancing years, a more manageable "junior" size, which frankly ain't that much smaller than the "king".

Although burritos are more likely to be found in an American Mexican restaurant, they frequently will reflect the original regional Mexican preferences of the store owner serving them. Thus, at Burrito House, if you want cilantro or onions, you have to ask for them. At Tecalitlan they are automatic. Both places charge extra for avocado on a burrito (unless of course it's an avocado burrito).

Not sure what else to tell you except, welcome to Roadfood. You seem to be at an interesting point in your life; your stated love of both Chi-Chi's and Chipotle indicate a need for a "safety zone" in your dining experience. On the other hand, the fact that you've come to Roadfood indicates that maybe your ready for a little adventure; take some chances. The nice thing about the recommendations and the opinions expressed here, is that they allow you to do both; have a food adventure, still knowing that someone whose opinion you trust has already been there and has given it a thumbs up. Look around there's lot's of good information and converstion to be had here.

Buddy
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/03/15 18:14:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevencarry

BT's quote;
Here's what it looks like on the menu of my own neighborhood taqueria (El Castillito on Golden Gate Ave.)

You teaser, I thought you were going to show us another great picture.

Is this what you crave (but I know you've seen it):

By the way, are you all familiar with the site from which this pic came: http://www.burritophile.com/directory.php ?
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/03/15 19:55:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevencarry

Buddy, please make a rule for the tour. Each place must provide a salsa bar.
It's the only way to go.
Steven,

While I too enjoy the salsa bar, I'm not aware of that many places that have both a salsa bar and a burrito for which you would go out of your way. That doesn't mean I'm not willing to learn. If you have any suggestions I'm wide open!

Buddy
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/03/15 20:13:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

The best one is the first one, don't they say?

....if so, I have to nominate my old friend La Cumbre, at 16th and Valencia in SF.
For me in 1983, it was a total outside the box experience, for I'd had Grilled Steak, Rice, Whole Beans, Lettuce & Mexican Food all my life, but never the ingredients combined to make a Mexican Food totally unlike what I'd known up to that point. Nowadays the Mission Burrito is the prototype for Burrito Joints around the country, but back then it was a much more regional thing. Seeing those Ladies flip their steak, with the smoke curling to the ceiling from the open grill-Luscious.

Here you go, Bill:

Memories, memories. But I've read mixed reviews of it lately. Some say it's not it's former self, but some still rave. Most of the negetivity seems to come from vegetarians and much of it has to do with their guacamole. Personally, I just can't imagine getting a veggie burrito THERE (even though I like them eslewhere) since the glory of La Cumbre was always the carne asada (steak). I haven't been there in a number of years. I wasn't even sure it was still there, but I found current reviews so it must be. I drive up and down Valencia nearly once a week and just didn't remember seeing it.
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/03/15 20:41:14 (permalink)
Buddy, I don't know your area

BT, I thought your pic was of the wet burrito
and that website is good but to be honest I
don't think I have had a bad one so I don't
care about reviews that much. To me it's all
about having a salsa bar with lots of variety.
Plus whole peppers and pickle veggies.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/03/15 20:59:16 (permalink)
Steven,

I see you're a coaster. I was out your way last November on 'Que biz in Oakland (BTW, if you're interested in our sauce, we've got it at Molly Stone's, Draeger's, Andronico's and a variety of other small independent markets up your way).

I stayed with my cousin and her husband in Albany and was lucky enough to grab a couple of meals in Berkley. The first night we went to the Chaat Cafe(?) a kind of Indian tapas joint. Very tasty and highly recommended if you like the Indian food.

Night two was spent at a local taqueria whose name escapes me, but whose food lives on in my memory. Had some lovely fish tacos and one of those fresh fruit Mexican slushies. Anyway, the point of all this is that they had a very good salsa bar as you describe.

By virtue of this, I'm going to guess that the salsa bar concept is far more prevalent in your part of the world than mine. Therefore, when you come into Chicago for the GCBH, you will need to pack your own salsa bar.

Buddy
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/03/15 21:20:41 (permalink)
Buddy, You listed my favorite supermarkets (Andronico's and Mollie Stone's are both within 5 minutes and yes I will look for your sauce.

I thought about CSD last night while watching the movie "About Last Night..." which is set in Chicago and at the end Jim Belushi offers Rob Lowe a hot dog and the sign on the cart said "Vienna Beef" so I have to look for that also. By the way if any of you have seen that DVD please help. The after-opening and closing scenes are at a park with bike path and baseball field with a gorgeous back drop of the skyline. Is that park really in Chicago and is it still there and if so where ?
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/03/15 21:52:58 (permalink)
Believe it or not, although the movie is based on David Mamet's play, "Sexual Perversity in Chicago," and although I'm a fan of Mr. Mamet's work, I've never seen "About Last Night". Based on your description though, I'm going to guess the scene was shot in Grant Park near the lakefront. Some of the best things about Our Town are the remarkable views that can be had from almost any angle, even while you're bending your elbow with a "football" sized burrito mashed into your face.

Buddy
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/03/15 22:12:34 (permalink)
Buddy, Anyone who was in their early 20's to mid 30's in the 1980's should watch "About Last Night..." It's a chick flick with so much crude guy stuff to even it out it's a near perfect reflection of that (my) time. Along with CSD's,and Italian Beef Sandos it makes me want to hop on the Oakland to Chicago train tonight.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/03/15 22:26:58 (permalink)
Guys, some of the best views of Chicago come from up on the "El" platforms (and from the cars) and the "El" system is one of the best things about Chicago. Like New York's subways, it really puts most visitors within reach of good eats anywhere in town without spending their life savings on cabs. On my two eating tours of Chicago, I stayed in the Loop but had no trouble getting to any restaurant I picked out of the various guide books and recommendations I carried along.

Steve, if you were ever a fan of "Married With Children", the fountain shown in the opening credits was, I believe in Grant Park:

And if you ever do go to Chicago, beyond food the big "no miss" is the Art Institute. It has a jaw-dropping collection of French Impressionism.
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/03/15 22:37:46 (permalink)
First I'm going to Grant Park, have a Vienna hot dog and hope Demi Moore shows up.

By the way Buddy's Indian spot in Berkeley I believe is Vic'a Chaat Corner on Allston Way betw.4/5th I always wanted to go there. Get this it has I think the widest margin Zagat rating between food/atmosphere
It's 24/4 ,now that's city roadfood !
www.vikdistributors.com

Oops, I just checked and there is a Chaat Cafe on University Ave.
www.chaatcafe.com
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/03/16 00:14:57 (permalink)
Bingo on your second choice!

Buddy
Pumbaa
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/03/16 16:27:21 (permalink)
Buddy:
You mentioned a "gathering". Does Roadfood have gatherings? Where can I find out more info on them?
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/03/16 17:06:20 (permalink)
They are sporadic, based on the whims and yearnings of the members. Have no fear; if there is a gathering it will be well discussed, out in the open, usually in the Miscellaneous-Food Related forum, anywhere from six weeks to six months prior to the date of the gathering. I believe there is currently discussion of both a New England Bus Tour, and a southeast Wisconsin tour being organized by chicagostyledog.

Buddy
Torchman
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/08/22 13:26:05 (permalink)
I am a burrito FIEND, and the best burro EVER was from the ORIGINAL "GREEN BURRITO" on Carson blvd in Long Beach CA back in the early 80's. I see that they were actually bought out by Carls Jr and turned into a chain. I havent tried the chain version, but back in the day before they opened the second location in Huntington Beach, it was BURRITO HEAVEN!! The staff barely spoke English, but remembered you by name. The asada burros were to die for,grilled to order steak (dog?)chopped with a cleaver in front of your eyes, pico de gallo to die for..god I can still taste them! I would buy six-8 at a time and have them for breakfast when I was working in the charter boat fleet. To this day, I have never found a burro that can compare...
Frank
TheHotPepper.com
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/09/04 22:43:05 (permalink)
Huge burritos suck. You cut them open and they just become a plate of rice and beans (or whatever's inside). A good burrito is rolled tight and is narrow. When you cut it open it keeps its shape, or you can just pick it up and eat it. Also, rice sucks inside a burrito.
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/09/04 23:53:31 (permalink)
The best Burito I have ever had is at Burito Bay in Getzville, NY. The Glutton is something to behold!

http://burritobay.com/index.php
HotDogHead
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 665
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/09/06 15:52:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TheHotPepper.com

Huge burritos suck. You cut them open and they just become a plate of rice and beans (or whatever's inside). A good burrito is rolled tight and is narrow. When you cut it open it keeps its shape, or you can just pick it up and eat it. Also, rice sucks inside a burrito.

I have to agree with you. Those types of burritos are just not right. The best burritos I have had in Denver is a place called The Burrito Company.
Torchman
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/09/06 20:34:33 (permalink)
TOTALLY agree on the rice in a burrito! It is a filler that adds nothing to the FLAVOR. Just bulk. Rice is fine on the side for a wet burrito, but please dont put it INSIDE, thank you!
Torchman
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/09/06 21:01:28 (permalink)
Ahhhh...one more "extinct" best to toss in the mix!!! NAUGLES!! LOL..( I obviously grew up in So Cal!! :-) )It was on the way home from Bolsa Chica Beach..where every teen/young 20 would be every weekend night with the umpteen hundred fire pits. The 2 am ride home was a MANDATORY Naugle stop...the "Macho Combo Burrito" being the #1 choice to cure the hunger caused by Friday nights and blaring Led Zepplin..:-P. I still feel bad for several people the morning after...I hope they had hungry dogs to clean their back seats!! :-D I think THAT is the REAL secret of ROAD FOOD...It doesnt always have to be the BEST food...just the RIGHT food, at the RIGHT TIME. Heck, a macho combo would be a gut bomb now that I've cracked the 40 mark! I just checked another old ORIGINAL favorite..El Pollo Loco...chain is still in business...but I havent seen one in 20 years being up in the NW. Hopefully their yardbird is still as good as when they had small stands back in the day...
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/09/06 21:12:37 (permalink)
I'm with ya HotPepper and Torchman. If your serving rice with a burrito, it should be on the side (and make it Spanish Rice, well seasoned, along with a side of frijoles). First place around here I saw trying to stuff my burrito with rice was Qdoba (a chain). Put a stop to that instantly. Luckily rest of the places that take my money dont try to pull that one over on me.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/10/26 09:54:01 (permalink)
Last night I had the single best burrito ever, a place called Go Burger!(ironically) in Las Cruces, New Mexico. If you are ever in the area, on I-25 at exit 3, drive your car directly to this place. Mine was a chorizo and potato burrito with egg, my wife had the chicken burrito supreme with green chile, rice and beans. Along with a chicken quesadilla for the kids and a side of onion rings, the entire bill was 12 bucks, quintessential roadfood. The next time I go, I will snap a picture to post. I also need to update the thread "The Two Places that best represent your hometown" for this is the best meal in town. Evidently, along with Nellie's, this place has the best reputation for burritos in town, high praise for a border town.
Texianjoe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 639
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/10/26 10:49:18 (permalink)
We have Mission Burrito down here in Houston. It is the best of the chains, better than Chipoltes I think, more veriety. And you can pick and choose what you want. Rice, no rice, beans no beans.

[url][/url]http://www.missionburritos.com/

joe
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2006/10/26 12:29:35 (permalink)
Hello All,
The best burrito I had was at a place called Fiesta Cantina. They were consistently good,
but simple. Hey, I'm a simple guy. At our wedding reception, everyone had steaks and my
wife (without my knowledge and to my joy) had a Fiesta Cantina burrito delivered for me.
It was just ground beef and whipped refried beans wrapped around a flour tortilla, with
the hottest and creamy cheese sauce. The beauty was the combination of the cheese sauce
with the others. The cheese sauce made me break out in a sweat while the tortilla, beef
and frioles romanced with and completed my tastebuds' joy.
Unfortunately, they went out of business. But I think there may be one in North Carolina.
They weren't a chain, but the owner opened a few.
My wife can almost re-create the flavour as far as the ground beef and refried beans, but
the cheese sauce...I've never had an instant sweat like that since they closed the doors
of Fiesta Cantina.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

671USA
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2007/07/02 05:03:09 (permalink)
Rice in burritos? Lived in San Diego and San Pedro in early 60's and attended Carson High (Carson, CA) in the 70's and I don't ever recall eating a burrito with rice back then.. Yep, I think the rice is more of a filler to make today's burrito look like your getting your dollars worth.. In any event, can't say I've tried 'em all but the one that stands out for me is a little place called La Bonita located on Sepulveda Blvd in Carson (Calif).. The "Red" chile shredded beef/bean burrito did it for me. I think the place was bought out by another Mexican establishment called Diana's.. I went there a couple times a few years ago and I was confused with the variety of burritos.. Diana's still makes great burritos but I just couldn't find the same taste as with La Bonita's.. Hey Torchman, I'm sure you know the place I'm talking about.. How about Astro's? Their's is tangy but I use to go there as a backup to La Bonita's.. Oh the 70's!!
Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2007/07/11 14:27:07 (permalink)
Best Burrito I've ever had...Moe's here in New England...it is a chain..but their ingredients are always fresh and you never go hungry (not like Taco Bell)...everyone that I know that has ever been there loves it! I also really loved the burritos from Bueno Y Sano in Amherst Mass. Also, I hear so much about Anna's Taqueria in Boston, but I think its very overrated...nothing special in my opinion about anything there.
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2007/07/11 14:37:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 6star In Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky, try La Bamba. Authentic freshly-made Mexican food (no freezers in their restaurants) and "Burritos as Big as Your Head".

http://www.labambaburritos.com/
Not in Milwaukee. On the corner of Cesar Chavez Boulevard and National Avenue, there's a little Mexican grocery called El Rey. They have a lunch counter that makes an awesome burrito. Get it with beef tongue. Get an orange juice and watch the staff squeeze the juice out of six oranges. It don't get no better. They have another store at the strip mall on 35th and Burnham, and the food there is equally good. As a matter of fact (or of my none to humble opinion), any of the places on Chavez Boulevard between National and Greenfield will not disappoint, at least until it's time to get off your stool, but a few are Puerto Rican. For burritos, Taqueria Jalisco's is my favorite in that neighborhood at 1035 S 16th St. It's LITERALLY a hole in the wall where you get your fare and take it with, but that's good eatin'.
quote:
Originally posted by BT Steve, if you were ever a fan of "Married With Children", the fountain shown in the opening credits was, I believe in Grant Park:
And all this time I thought Buckingham Fountain (I've heard it called "Bundy Fountain" for some ungodly reason) was where we all got our kicks on Route 66, right before breakfast at Lou Mitchell's. Thanks for setting me straight, BT
quote:
Originally posted by stevencarry Buddy, Anyone who was in their early 20's to mid 30's in the 1980's should watch "About Last Night..." It's a chick flick with so much crude guy stuff to even it out it's a near perfect reflection of that (my) time. Along with CSD's,and Italian Beef Sandos it makes me want to hop on the Oakland to Chicago train tonight.
Bittersweet memories. I took the Hiawatha Express to Sacramento years back and lost all my pictures when I got married. ~~~~~~ (Those are teardrops.)
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse [Gatherings] are sporadic, based on the whims and yearnings of the members. Have no fear; if there is a gathering it will be well discussed, out in the open, usually in the Miscellaneous-Food Related forum, anywhere from six weeks to six months prior to the date of the gathering. I believe there is currently discussion of both a New England Bus Tour, and a southeast Wisconsin tour being organized by chicagostyledog.
Yenno, maybe we could talk the Sterns into inserting a "Gatherings", "Soirees", "Parties", or similar folder in the "Miscellaneous" folder.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: The Best Burrito Ever 2007/07/11 19:56:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 671USA

Rice in burritos? Lived in San Diego and San Pedro in early 60's and attended Carson High (Carson, CA) in the 70's and I don't ever recall eating a burrito with rice back then.. Yep, I think the rice is more of a filler to make today's burrito look like your getting your dollars worth..

It's not a filler. It's a different style of burrito. The so-called "Mission-style" burrito is almost certainly a north-of-the-border invention although I can't prove it was invented in SF's Mission District as the name suggests (they are sure common there now, though). Closer to the border, you probably find more of the more authentically Mexican style--mostly just meat and beans, maybe a bit of tomato or lettuce. I know that's the case in Tucson even now. But in the 1970s I can tell you that the big fat ones overstuffed with everything including rice were the standard here in SF (Taqueria La Cumbre being one exception, as I think I said somewhere above). Personally, to this day I sometimes prefer a vegetarian burrito which is mostly rice/beans/veggies/cheese here. But then I'm a serious rice lover.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1