The Best Fish & Chips

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1994
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2005/08/18 09:48:59 (permalink)
My wife had fish and chips at the Maine Diner last week. I got a bite, and they were great. MD uses fish from closer to the head of a larger fish, so it is a nice thick piece. So many places around here serve the tail, or more precisly, a filet taken from the back of the fish. The tail is,IMO, not as good.
sizz_leteen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2005/08/18 10:45:30 (permalink)
McNie's in Etobicoke, ON has sublime fish n' chips. I can't eat that stuff anymore, but I have some fond memories of eating there. *^^*
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 828
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2005/08/22 08:32:29 (permalink)
Had a pretty good F&C at Canterbury Ales in Huntington LI NY yesterday. Got the lead from Chowhound and followed their advise to avoid the Oyster Bay location. Had Pilsner Urquell on tap to go with it. Very nice!
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2005/09/03 11:17:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tmiles

My wife had fish and chips at the Maine Diner last week. I got a bite, and they were great. MD uses fish from closer to the head of a larger fish, so it is a nice thick piece. So many places around here serve the tail, or more precisly, a filet taken from the back of the fish. The tail is,IMO, not as good.
T miles nothing wrong with a little tail now and then. If your ever up the Portland way on a Tues. There is a place called Susans on Western Ave? they have twofer tuesday 2 fresh fish sandwiches for $2 bucks can't beat that. they are good sized also. Chow Jim Make that Forest Ave. Scusa
Willly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2005/09/03 11:23:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

quote:
Originally posted by tmiles

T miles nothing wrong with a little tail now and then. If your ever up the Portland way on a Tues. There is a place called Susans on Western Ave? they have twofer tuesday 2 fresh fish sandwiches for $2 bucks can't beat that. they are good sized also. Chow Jim Make that Forest Ave. Scusa

Can you get some tail at Susan's? Maybe you have to be nice...

No comment on the other end of the fish.
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2005/09/04 10:35:38 (permalink)
The best I've had is at the "Fish Fry" in Nassau, Bahamas but it was cracked conch with fries. Here in Kentucky, well you know we're not exactly known for fish and chips but the fish and chips at the King Fisher in Louisville are pretty darn good.

Andrea
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2005/09/06 16:37:30 (permalink)
Doug's Fish Fry in Skaneateles, NY (pronounced skinny-atlas)...also in Mattydale, East Syracuse and Cortland, NY

The Skaneateles location is the original, and the one I have frequented the most. There is a restaurant review in this site about the Cortland location (which I've never been to). Looks pretty much like the same food as the one in Skaneateles.

The one in Mattydale (North Syracuse) can be a bit greasy imo. East Syracuse location is good.

sides are excellent, soup is excellent, fish is excellent. Service is ok.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/08/08 19:47:19 (permalink)
The best fish & chips I've had lately was at Norma's Ocean Diner in Seaside, Oregon. You have to decide if you want cod, albacore, salmon, halibut or as I got, a combination of them. It was great being able to sample them all, with the halibut being my favorite. Orders also come with good fries and cole slaw.
Ffreeck
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/08/08 20:59:10 (permalink)
Capers Steakhouse in Detroit makes the best Catfish I've ever had. They always season it goods and even give you a lemon to put pazazz in your fish. They also have a location in Mt. Clemens, MI (suburb NE of Detroit)
roadrash
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/08/08 22:19:58 (permalink)
I just miss Arthur Treacher's !
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8389
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/08/08 23:05:16 (permalink)
I used to LOVE Arthur Trachers!!!There is one in Raleigh, N.C., but we didnt have a chance to try it........
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8389
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/08/08 23:06:19 (permalink)
oops-Treachers
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/08/08 23:15:53 (permalink)
the very best fish and chips were served in a little english cafe in redmond wa.
i still think wistfully of how wonderful and grease free it was.
dholk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/08/08 23:38:20 (permalink)
I have to put in a vote for Brit's Pub in downtown Minneapolis:

http://www.britspub.com/index.php

While I can't say I've had a whole lot of fish and chips, I would be REAL surprised if what these guys serve wasn't a good example. I'm not sure I've ever seen any fried food that nailed GBD quite like their fish and chips (GBD = golden brown and delicious).

Outstanding.

Whats really funny is that their servers actually look really British and I can't even tell you what a British person is supposed to look like :) You'll have to see for yourself.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5081
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/08/09 01:43:49 (permalink)
I lived in London on and off for 20 years. The very best fish and chips I ever had was at a place called "Sea Fresh" on Bury Street in Pimlico. Not far from Victoria Station. You couldn't miss it because there was always about 20 taxie's out front
double and triple parked.
It is owned by Greek people (that explains it) and they use peanut oil for their frying and also change the oil frequently.
They sold all kinds of fish to fry but the cod and haddock were the best.
Does anyone out there know this place too?
Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/08/09 13:10:23 (permalink)
A pretty good cod and chips can be had at Culver's for those craving such as a meal and lacking authentic alternatives. I've been really happy when ordering their cod dinner plate (also includes decent slaw and a small roll). Excellent, flaky cod and a mound of pretty good fries. Tartar sauce, lemon, malt vinegar all gratis. Any port in a storm, so to speak. - Rusty
Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/08/17 10:41:27 (permalink)
The fish & chip pic today on the main page looks great. Upon further scrutiny of the other pics, the building (inside & out) looks to be an old Arthur treacher's.

BTW--the brand has been revived somewhat & treacher's are in the NY/NJ area. I don;t think there are stand alones, they seem to be branded with Nathan's & Kenny Rogers chicken. The fish is comparable to Arthur's of my childhood, but the shrimp & chips are nathan's shrimp (not batter dipped). I don't recall them having chicken & chips & I was saddened to see no Lemon luv pies opn the menu.

Had a very good Fish & Chip last week in Red Bank NJ at the Dublin house. Nice beer batter!
malheureux
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/08/22 20:13:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jgleduc

Since this topic has been active, I'll say here what I've mentioned at other times: Ye Olde English Fish and Chips in Woonsocket, RI, is extraordinary. The name may be silly, but it is fitting: the place was founded in 1922 by an emigre from Yorkshire. The batter is rich and offsets the slight sweetness of the fish perfectly, while the chips are flavorful with just the right mix of crispyness and softness. A special treat they offer is the fishcake, a thin piece of fish in between slices of potatoes, dipped in batter and then fried together in one piece. The potatoes almost melt into the fish, blending the flavors. It's like fish and chips in one, really special. The only complaint I have is their short hours - closed Sunday and Monday, and most evenings by 5 or 6 (Fridays until 8, I believe.) But well worth it - best I've had, including in England. And if you have room, it's just a short drive to[url='http://www.wrightsdairyfarm.com/']Wright�s Dairy Farm.[/url]

Here�s a picture with chips in the foreground, a couple of fishcakes in back at left and fish and chips back right. Man, I need to get up there soon....

malheureux
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/08/22 20:32:18 (permalink)
My favorite for Fish 'N' Chips is Ye Olde English in Woonsocket, RI. I've yet to find any other like it anywhere in the USA. Well worth the trip if you are ever in the Boston-Worcester-Providence triangle. I was born and raised in Wonnsocket and in the 1950s and '60s there were any number of fish 'n' chip shops around the city to satisfy Catholics on meatless Fridays. Sad to say, but these little shops are all but gone. Ye Olde English remains. Every time I visit home, I get my fix. Currently, I live in OR but have yet to taste anything as satisfy as Olde English!
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/09/01 00:20:58 (permalink)
My two favorites would have to be The Argyle & The Thistle both in
Kearny,NJ. When it's possible, it's great to enjoy the meal at either
restaurant,especially when they serve the fish right from the deep fryer,the outside crunchy and golden and the fish cooked just right, along with the fries and coleslaw a very satisfying meal.
SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/09/01 09:47:23 (permalink)
My gosh, that picture of fish and chips looks mouth-watering. The fish looks good and crispy and the fries look the way I like them. Whish I was in RI for lunch today; but guess I'll have Mickey D's! Just ain't the same is it?
GCD1962
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/09/14 20:42:18 (permalink)
Fish & Chips one of favorites. Best I've had is at Skagway Fish Co restaurant in Skagway, Alaska. Kind of out of the way, but the deep fried fresh halibut is always cooked to perfection, the frys always fresh & hot, and downed with an Alaskan Amber beer, it's a combo that can't be beat. Long time ago, in Greenwich, Ct, The Clam Box had great fish & chips. I think they used haddock.
Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/09/15 09:39:32 (permalink)
BTW--there is an Irish fest tomorrow in Sea Girt NJ--they usually have either Argyle or Stuarts of kearny as a Fish N Chip vendor.

Can't wait!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/09/15 10:31:19 (permalink)
Another really good place for Fish & Chips is Baxter's in Hyannis, Mass. I just ate there for the first time a few weeks ago. I thought $15.95 was a lot to pay for an order, but once I tasted how good it was, I wasn't complaining. A cup of the chowder and sitting at a picnic table overlooking the water completed the memorable meal.

http://www.baxterscapecod.com/
cheesybellybutton
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/09/15 10:38:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by twodales

Has anyone tried the Duke of Perth in Chicago? I've heard that the Fish & Chips are tasty but I've yet to try.

I had the fish & chips there years ago and they were good. Couldn't tell you what they're like now.

If any of you are in London again, I'd suggest you come to The Golden Hind (http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2412.htm). It's an authentic old "chippy" in a lovely area, and everything on the menu us great. Be sure to get some mushy peas (as it just isn't as good without!)
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/10/08 22:35:34 (permalink)
Fish 'n' Chips wise, the best kept secret in New Jersey is the Tops Diner, East Newark, New Jersey. It's a special and they only prepare it on Fridays.

What makes this accomplishment particularly interesting is that the Tops, which is a far better diner than any for many miles around, is in rather close proximity to Kearny, New Jersey, home of the revered Argyle and Thistle restaurants, each renowned for their fish 'n' chips.

Well, I'm not one to venture on sacrilege by saying the Tops's rendition of fish 'n' chips is better than Argyles's and Thistles's. But I heartily suggest you give it a try. Judge for yourself.

The special is a soup to nuts deal. Bring an appetite. If they have the blueberry cobbler the Friday you're there, make that your dessert choice as part of your meal. Boy, is it good!

One note, though. While the fish is excellent, and presented in a generous portion of two good-sized filets, the chips are French fries. They're good, but, at no extra charge, you can have the superior waffle fries instead. Good choice. You'll be back.

The Bear
Squidly
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2006/11/02 22:57:50 (permalink)
The chip shop in Dunoon, Scotland at Holy Loch. Only real fish and chips I've ever had. Hot fish and chips, coarse salt, and malt vinegar. Outstanding!
dianl1442
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2007/01/05 15:14:28 (permalink)
I have to agree with Spadoman. Mac's Fish and Chips on Larpenteur Ave in St Paul Minnesota does a great job with their Halibut and Chips. Their Chips get soggy if you try to do take out, ok if you eat in. The Halibut is great.
schtib
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2007/03/29 17:27:17 (permalink)
Anyone in the Fort Worth, TX area know of ANY good fish and chip joints besides Zeke's? Any good seafood restaurant recommendations would be great as well. I live in the Keller/Alliance area and don't know of any good places!

Thanks,

Mario
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2007/04/04 21:22:06 (permalink)
Well the secret is out,I took ScreenBear's advice and tried the fish n chips at Top's diner in East Newark and it was a great meal. I've lived in Kearny for most of my life and have been to Top's quite a few times,but never had the fish n chips,due to the fact that the Argyle and The Thistle were always a staple of the area for so many years,but the meal at Tops diner included soup,salad,coleslaw and the fish and chips,and believe me the quality of the meal is just as good or maybe even a little better.Thanks again for the tip.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1