The Best Fish & Chips

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2007/04/16 01:10:26 (permalink)
I hit The Dubliner, an Irish restaurant near Union Station in DC, after the Cherry Blossom Parade for a couple Irish Car Bombs and Fish and Chips. Both were excellent! didn't bring my camera, so no pics. But it may be the best Fish and Chips in DC.
Corned beef sandwich, cream of potato soup and shepherd's pie were all smashing successes as well at our table.

billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2435
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2007/04/16 14:50:35 (permalink)
Love A Salt & Battery in the West Village, NYC. They've got great cod and haddock. The chips are just greasy enough and very tasty doused with some malt vinegar and piled on a buttered roll to make my own "chip butty". For some reason though, I'm addicted to their deep fried chicken chunks. They're crispy, greasy, and have a slight curry taste to them that really elevates them beyond any chicken tender I've ever had.
zrrifle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2007/05/24 10:45:16 (permalink)
Dubliner's far from having the best F&C in DC. More like mediocre. Elephant & Castle, the English pub/restaurant off Penn is a bit better, though not your traditional F&C plate. The best places I tried are actually both in Alexandria. One is a place called Eamon's, which is pretty authentic: http://www.eamonnsdublinchipper.com/ , but the best I've tried, in my opinion, is at Theismann's: http://www.joetheismanns.com/main.html

But it's a matter of taste/opinion I suppose.
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1097
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2007/05/24 10:53:03 (permalink)
I tried Wendell's Pub in Westerville, OH near Columbus a few months ago and the fish and chips were the highlight of the menu. But the real story about Wendell's is ther national recognition for being the Number 1 place to go Number 2.

http://www.bestrestroom.com/rest_winner06.html
KOK
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2007/05/24 11:14:27 (permalink)
I'll second Eamonn's in Alexandria, Va. Cathal Armstrong (of Restaurant Eve fame) is from Ireland and this chipper has some excellent fish and excellent chips. People rave about the skate but I've only had the cod.

AND they have deep fried Snickers bars (and other candy too).

Thanks,

Kevin
rainroosty
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2007/06/28 09:40:06 (permalink)
Arthur Treacher's is excellent here in Lake Worth (South Florida). It is located in a "Miami Subs Grill", along with Nathan's & Kenny Rogers....it's PERFECT every time! (No kidding!)
(my first post on Roadfood) :-)
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2007/06/28 11:49:01 (permalink)
Lets see,--it was the "Summer of Love"--San Francisco--we were all flat broke most of the time--didn't
have a kitchen--heck 'we didn-t have a house to put it in --but if you could panhandle a buck--or ontimidate some tourist to pay you for taking your picture--there was a fish and chips place right near the end of the street--about a block and a half from the entrance to Golden Gate Park that was wonderful!!--and that buck would get you na big old newspaper cone full of greay potatos and two gig hunks of fish! Have no idea what the name of the place was---and it probably wasnt the best fish and chips in the world--but it kept a lot hippies alive.---and i liked it!!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2007/06/28 12:40:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Lets see,--it was the "Summer of Love"--San Francisco--we were all flat broke most of the time--didn't
have a kitchen--heck 'we didn-t have a house to put it in --but if you could panhandle a buck--or ontimidate some tourist to pay you for taking your picture--there was a fish and chips place right near the end of the street--about a block and a half from the entrance to Golden Gate Park that was wonderful!!--and that buck would get you na big old newspaper cone full of greay potatos and two gig hunks of fish! Have no idea what the name of the place was---and it probably wasnt the best fish and chips in the world--but it kept a lot hippies alive.---and i liked it!!

Tiki, have you recovered yet?

Sounds like you enjoyed your days of being a hippie. Now you are an old hippie

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
cd348
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 67
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2007/06/28 13:04:47 (permalink)
The best that I had was at a little fish and chips stand outside of the NCO club at Alconbury AB in England. It was outstanding. Wrapped in newspaper and sprinkled with malt vinegar, it was absolutely outstanding. I had some in London too. They were all good but not as good as the one on Alconbury.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2007/06/28 13:26:29 (permalink)
It's possible I have posted my response to this topic on one of the previous pages.
The very best fish and chips I have ever had was at, "Sea Fare" in the Pimlico section of London near Victoria Station. If you are in London, just ask your cab driver. Chances are, judging by the many cabs, double and triple parked outside, he's probably a frequent diner there himself.
They use very fresh fish fried in peanut oil. The oil is changed very often so the fish has a fresh and clean taste.
And, it's a large airy space with comfortable seating-unlike most "chippies".
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2007/06/28 21:38:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Tiki, have you recovered yet?

Sounds like you enjoyed your days of being a hippie. Now you are an old hippie

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Loved every minute of it---as a matter of fact i have started on a book---kind of the hippie version of "On the Road"--its called--"Whose Movie Is This Anyway?"
Miss Cotton Candy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2007/07/11 01:17:07 (permalink)
Odd request from a noob but ... anyone ever just try to make and fry the batter from F&C Mixes?

I am obsessed with the little batter crumbs, or cracklin' as they say in the resturants, that are scattered about on my plate when I go to the chain places like LJS of Captain D's, I often request an extra carton of them on the side. Far better than potato chips and so daggum sinfully good too. I'd be forever grateful if anyone could give me such a recipe for a delicious batter to fry and crumb up!

Oh, as for a good place - I often go to this kiosk when festival time comes about in my city. They makes some delicous F&C and even have dessert like batter dipped Snickers, which I have yet to try.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 838
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2007/08/03 08:48:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Stewdude

Assault and Battery in Greenwich Village New York makes a very authentic,very good Fish & Chips, along with mushy peas. And you get to finish off with a deep fried Mars Bar.

Also posted by billyboy, this place was just featured on Bobby Flay's show Throwdown and thankfully Flay lost. It's on my list to try.

http://www.asaltandbattery.com/
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2008/02/11 17:03:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by malheureux

My favorite for Fish 'N' Chips is Ye Olde English in Woonsocket, RI. I've yet to find any other like it anywhere in the USA. Well worth the trip if you are ever in the Boston-Worcester-Providence triangle. I was born and raised in Wonnsocket and in the 1950s and '60s there were any number of fish 'n' chip shops around the city to satisfy Catholics on meatless Fridays. Sad to say, but these little shops are all but gone. Ye Olde English remains. Every time I visit home, I get my fix. Currently, I live in OR but have yet to taste anything as satisfy as Olde English!

Thanks for the tip. I was visiting a friend in Woonsocket on Saturday and realized that he lived right down the street from Ye Olde English on South Main. It might have been the best fish and chips I've had in the US along with Westfair Fish & Chips in Westport, CT (McDonough's in Galway, Ireland is still tops - at least for the fish). The fish was great - tender, flaky with a good crispy crust. The tater sauce was excellent (and I believe homemade)and the chips were very meaty and pretty crispy, though not as crispy as they should be, especially the ones that were sitting underneath the fish. Still I really enjoyed these chips, this being said despite the fact that I am not a big fan of chips/french fries in general. Also, the staff was very friendly, helpful, and quick with their service even though they were closing right after I walked in the door. Highly recommended if you are in the area.
MissJohnnycakes
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2008/09/30 19:12:17 (permalink)
The Bayside Restaurant, near the town beach and the Audubon preserve in Westport, MA, has the best fish and chips I've tasted. They use cod, or at least they used to.

They also have some unusual items such as a delicious homemade Indian pudding.
Mike_NZ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2009/09/04 04:34:05 (permalink)
Personally,
I prefer the fish and chips out of the paper.
As tm199(?) above alluded to, fish and chips are very in-expensive down here in New Zealand.
I've just had a feed of them, man am I full!
Cost me all of NZ$9.00.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4275
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2009/09/04 17:44:32 (permalink)
JBarry713

(McDonough's in Galway, Ireland is still tops - at least for the fish).

Thanks to the wonder of Google Map's Streetview function, those who have not been fortunate enough to visit the Auld Sod can now at least see McDonagh's (don't feel bad about the misspelling, I got also it wrong in an earlier post in this thread).  There are also numerous shots of the interior, and multiple reviews.  Sorry, no shots of the food.

Buddy
rokelemaster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: The Best Fish & Chips 2009/09/04 19:09:57 (permalink)
I loved Arthur Treacher's.. That where I learned about malt vinegar on F&C's  (we didn't know about such things here in WV!) I really liked the 'chips'. That my favorite form of french fries!
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1